Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Handy Handy Magic Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    iSword
    <Snip>

And, of course, the obvious...

iSword Nano
    <Snip>
    Special thanks to my wife for the idea of the iSword (& the Nano).
    Are their "Greater" versions that can "can" bardic music effects and/or Suggestion spells for later use?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Silent Sword
    The silent sword can be used to mute anything it's touched to for one round, either horse hooves, or a chatty halfling. A will save is allowed for unwilling targets.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Are their "Greater" versions that can "can" bardic music effects and/or Suggestion spells for later use?
    Sure, but they cost more. A lot more. Only the mighty wizard Stievejaubz makes them.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2007-07-18 at 11:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Haha. Compensative Sword.

----

Quick Change Sword

This blade can store a single set of clothing in extradimensional space. Drawing the blade sends your current clothing there and garbs you in whatever you stored. Sheathing the blade switches your clothing back. You may retrieve the stored garment in order to put a different outfit in the sword.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

There was a Sword of V mentioned. By that do you mean the letter "V"? or the number five?
    Also, there are two swords put up in the thread, one that copies itself to lend out to friends which can make those copies vanish at any time, and another that can instantly turn into a lot of gold. Those two enchantments put together would be a pretty fun way to mess with people.

*Sigh* Looks like someone did Sora's Keyblade and Cloud's swords. Looks like I have to bring out:

Gunblade
    A sword can be crafted with a gun handle instead of a regular grip. This gun can hold up to six bullets and is reloaded completely with a full round action. A standard action can be taken to only insert one bullet. Reloading at all provokes an attack of opportunity due to lowering your guard. You can fire the gun at the beginning of the round as a free action to make a bullet shoot out and hit the base of the blade, making it vibrate in a way that make attacks more damaging. Any successful attack with the sword in a round which you fired it deals an extra three points of damage (more or less damage for balance?). This sword is designed to have its weakest point at the base of the blade. If it is sundered, the blade will break off there and the broken sword can then be used as a standard pistol.
    Though gunblades have no enchantments, they are always of masterwork quality because of the complications in its design. A badly crafted gunblade will not fire correctly, providing only a +1 damage bonus and also a -1 on attack rolls. Also, it will not break it the right place if it is sundered and can not be used as a pistol if sundering occurs. Finally, every time you fire a poorly-crafted gunblade, rol a d20. If you get a 1, the blade shatters with the bullets impact and sends shards of metal flying in a ten-foot radius, dealing 1d3 damage to all in the way.

Anti-depressant Sword

This is an intelligent blade used to be given out to those warriors who feel very depressed. It will constantly try to make conversation with its wielder about anything positive it can think of. These swords' personalities are always very peppy and happy-go-lucky. They will always complain about killing and violence in and after combat and if the wielder of the sword tries to harm himself in any way with it, the blade will shrink away so as to never be within an inch of its wielder's skin. The sword also has the ability to use dimension door at will, but it will never use it directly for the wielder. If the user tries to throw it away, it will instantly appear back in its scabbard. If he tries to throw both scabbard and sword away, both will teleport back onto his belt. The sword can only be removed from its wielder by the person who gave it to him and will stay silent and inactive until it is given to a new wielder. Finally, the sword has detect thoughts, usable at will on its user, and will tell anyone if he is lying at all.
    Suprisingly, this method of treatment was deemed a complete failure and the issuing of these swords was banned.

EDIT: I really like that quick change sword. It'd be nice to be able to walk around in something other than your armor all day.
    Last edited by Daracaex; 2007-07-19 at 12:07 AM.
    Characters:
    None right now!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

With the sword of quick change I was imaging more like a Clark Kent to Superman kind of costume change, but I totally overlooked it's very useful ability to keep armor off until you need it. That's pretty powerful, you could do all kinds of stealthy stuff and then instantly have armor when you enter combat.

I like the anti-depressant sword. It's a semi-cursed weapon.

---

Sword of Egress

Once per day this sword can create a door in a wall no thicker than two feet. Simply slash the wall with the sword while willing this power and a wooden door of ordinary size will appear. The wall suffers no damage from this attack. The door has a brass doorknob but no locks. After one hour the door will dissappear. Any creatures or objects in the archway will be pushed to either side of the wall. If the door is destroyed it will simply vanish and turn back into undamaged wall.

Tasting Blade

This sword has a small metallic mouth halfway up the blade that will gladly gobble down small bites of food or sips of liquid. Poisonous materials will cause the blade to cough and shiver for a brief period of time. The strength of its reaction is proportionate to the poison's potency, though it cannot indicate what the poison specifically does.

Sword of Speaking

This blade is created knowing two preset languages. At will it will translate anything the owner says in one of the languages into the other, and translate what it hears in the other language back for the owner. Translations are spoken aloud and audible to everyone nearby. A bilingual person can also use the blade just to avoid having to repeat themselves when talking to people with different languages.

Warmonger's Waffler

This immense bastard sword has a waffle grid pattern on one side of the blade. The blade can be folded in half and self-heats to create delicious fluffy waffles with the appropriate ingredients. It can also straighten hair.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2007-07-19 at 01:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Easy, a spell-storing iSword.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but Bardic music effects are spells per se... there SHOULD be an item to store them though... although it might have to be intelligent...

Regarding the Keyblade... I think the 'flashy' version is more of a Mage Lock and/or Permanencied Dimensional Lock if you are talking about how he locks the worlds.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #39

ElfMonkGuy

The keyblade both locks and unlocks. In the first game, the objective was to seal all the worlds off. The second game had you opening the paths between worlds again.
    Characters:
    None right now!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, not nearly as familiar with the second game.
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Daracaex View Post
    There was a Sword of V mentioned. By that do you mean the letter "V"? or the number five?
    It was a reference to V, from V for Vendetta. He had that strange facination to the 1812 Overture, he used fireworks, and He threw Daggers, So why not combine the three?

12. - Top - End - #42

The Sword of AXE (Or Lynx, if your from the British Commonwealth) and the Flowery Sword
    This Longsword can, 5/day, Emit a small spray of De-odorant. The aromatic qualities of the de-odorant offer a +1 circumstance bonus to charisma when dealing with mebers of the opposite sex.

The Sword of AXE is only usable by male holders (Or Sex Changed Females.)
    The Flowery Sword is only usable by Female holders (Or Sex changed males.)
    Price: 150 GP, Pretidigitation
    Aesop's Shortsword
    This is an intelligent blade. If proped up against a wall, rock, log, or other object, within 10 ft of a campfire, it will retell one of Aesop's many fables. If combat is going on, the blade will remain silent. The blade can also be silenced if placed in its sheath.
    Price: 200 GP, Message, Ghost Sound

The Zodiac Sword
    This Longsword's blade has been inscribed with 12 Zodiac Symbols on it. When picked up, the Holder's Zodiac Symbol glows, with enough light for 5ft. By pointing the sword at somebody, the blade will also light up the Zodiac symbol corresponding to the pointed person. If the signs are compatable, then both signs light up green. If Incompatable, both will glow red. Because of this, its often used as a way to test wether your compatable with the barmaid three tables down.

Stress Sword
    The handle of this sword is squishy, and conforms to the pressure placed on it. Squeezing the handle will give you a +1 Circumstance bonus to dealing with people that annoy you.
    Last edited by Korias; 2007-07-19 at 10:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Sword of Sweeping

On command this blade will shapeshift to or from the form of an animated metal handled broom with silver bristles. The transformation requires a standard action. The broom can be instructed to sweep any floor, go where directed, wait while standing upright, or follow the owner. If given a dust pan the dust pan will also be animated and assist the broom in its task. When in sword form the blade cannot move on its own volition and cannot animate a dustpan.

Blade of Kept Resolutions

This spell allows the wielder to cast geas, per the spell, upon themselves at will. There is no saving throw, nor can the blade be used to cancel the spell. The caster level for this magic effect is 12.

The Comeback

If the wielder of this sword is slain in battle it will shatter in half and summon a celestial hippogriff intent on killing your killer. The hippogriff is relentless and will pursue only the person that made the killing attack, attacking others only if they get in the way of its assault. If your killer hides or escapes the hippogriff will search for them to the best of its ability. The hippogriff vanishes once its quarry is dead, if killed, or if unsuccessful after three days. If repaired after breaking The Comeback will not summon a creature again. Many owners of a Comeback advertise their possession of it to discourage potential enemies.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2007-07-20 at 02:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pogo Sword

This otherwise unremarkable longsword has an elongated hilt and crossguard. When the sword's point is tapped on the ground twice in quick succession, it will immediately stand up perpendicular to the floor. In this state, it is approximately as solid as a four-legged chair, so while it will not tip over without a significant amount of force applied, it is also not sufficiently anchored for tasks such as blocking doors. Simply grasping the hilt with one hand and lifting it off the ground allows it to be used as a normal sword again.

As a move-equivalent action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the wielder can make a DC 10 jump check to hop onto the grounded sword, placing his feet on the crossguard and clutching the hilt with both hands in an uncomfortable-looking hunched posture. Once the sword has been mounted in this way, the wielder is able to direct the sword to carry him in a series of jumps, with the sword always landing harmlessly and flawlessly point-down on any roughly horizontal surface (less than 20 degree incline). Dismounting the sword requires another move-equivalent action that provokes attacks of opportunity, but does not require a skill check.

While riding the sword, the wielder uses a +35 bonus to jump checks in place of his normal bonus, can make long jumps and high jumps as though he had a 20 foot running start, and is considered one size larger than the sword's size category for purposes of determining maximum height for jumps. Only a creature of the sword's size category or smaller can ride a Pogo Sword.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, jump and levitate; Price +3 bonus.
    Last edited by TheEscapist; 2007-07-24 at 10:36 AM.
    "Playing D&D is a lot like having a venereal disease. Whenever I date a girl, there's always going to be that point in our relationship where I have to be up front and tell her that I play Dungeons & Dragons. And that will definitely have a lasting impact on how/if our relationship progresses."

My Homebrewed Creations:
    The Eight Brothers, Herald of the End, Mherephess, Battle Master, Nemesis Paragon, Scholar's Blade, Weapons of the Big Folk

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

God...so many awesome swords...an army of kinda-useful magic sword wileding warriors...Hooray! New villain!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this might be a bit to "highly useful" or "combat oriented" for this thread but here is an old idea of mine:

Mole (+1 enchantment equivalent?, Set cost?)
    Primarily found on large non-piercing melee weapons and occasionally on projectiles, most (all in the case of a projectile) of this weapon passes through worked and unworked earth and stone (including UNworked metal) like it wasn't there (cf brilliant energy). This allows the use of big weapons without penalty in narrow tunnels. There are two styles of this. One leaves the grip area as the unenchanted portion. The other has a rock shaped protrusion for the pommel or as a feature on the non-attacking. This makes for the occasional bruised knuckles when a strike goes a little too far into a wall, but allows dropping the weapon on bare rock or dirt to appear unarmed (just a rock laying there...). For projectiles this turns cover into concealment in many cases, and even blind fire through a castle wall can be pretty demoralizing (or even effective with flame arrows). In any case, back-up weapons are a must in case of earth elementals, and stone and clay golems.

Termite
    The even rarer version of the above, phases through wood instead of earth. Popular amoung druids, rangers, elves, gnomes, and others who often fight in dense underbrush.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2007-11-18 at 11:19 AM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sword of Swordcraft
    Once per day, the wielder can strike the sword into a metal object and the sword will absorb metal from it to create an near-exact double of itself from the material absorbed. This double is real in every way but is non-magical. It is created using the metal absorbed. Damage delt as a result of the process is like that done by a rust attack.

If an item is immune to rust attacks this ability cannot be used on it. This ability can also be used on metal-rich earth such as an iron mine, or a wall of iron.

Sword-O-Copter
    By spinning this sword around and around, the wielder can create an upward force as if they were subject to a Levitate spell under their control. They may spin their whole body around in a circle or merely spin it over their head but it must be spinning for the effect to work. They cannot use it as a normal attack at the time or the effect immediately ends, though they may take any other action that does not involve using the occupied hand. Objects that hit the spinning sword take damage as though attacked.

Sword of Best Offense
    Once per day this sword can leave its wielders hand and after duplicating into several other swords forms a barrier of spinning swords identical to a Blade Barrier cast by a 15th level spellcaster. This can form either the wall or the ring surrounding the wielder as per the spell. Once activated, the sword is used in the barrier for 15 minutes and cannot be recalled until the spell ends. At which time it returns to the spot it was activated at and drops to the ground.

Sword of Weapon's Balefull Polymorph
    Any non-magical weapon struck by this blade is polymorphed into an inferior weapon. Swords turn into crude daggers, spears into small sticks, bows into toy bows, etc. They lose all bonuses from masterwork quality until restored by Remove Curse or a similar ability.

Dancing and Singing Sword
    When this sword is alone with its owner, it sprouts arms and legs and begins singing and dancing for its master. It always gets a natural 20 on all perform checks and is skilled in all areas of Perform, it can sing merrily to cheer up its master, sing well-known tales of all types, or sing lullabies to help its master get sleep, it always takes requests and may stop if its master desires silence. It can conjure up any sounds imaginable from brass bands, angelic chorus, to the sounds of far-off forests or planes to accompany its act... perhaps even conjuring a hat and cane if need be.

However, it only sings for its rightful master and will never perform when there is a chance another intelligent creature may overhear. Unintelligent creatures cannot hear the song and can't recall anything about it if asked or later awakened. It can anachronistically detect the presence of anything able to hear it and will immediately revert to a normal mundane sword mere seconds before the creature can get into range to see or hear it. This includes all scrying or divination spells, even Wish cannot allow someone other than the swords owner to hear or see the swords performance. Though, the sword is incredibly skilled at detecting the very moment that it may be seen or heard. It may begin a pantomime routine if its master can see it but no one else can. Performing wild acts in perfect silence right behind the back of a skilled rogue, only to slip back to its original spot nanoseconds before they turn their head.

The only exception to this is for familiars. A wizard with the sword must have his familiar within 5 feet of him for the sword to not register the empathic link as an attempt at scrying, allowing it to perform for both the wizard and familiar.

The Dancing and Singing sword otherwise looks like a perfectly ordinary non-masterwork sword. It emits no magical aura and no means of identification registers it as anything other than an ordinary short sword worth 10gp. If sold, stolen, or given away, it treats its new owner as its master and its former owner cannot hear its music unless he somehow gets bets it back by trade or theft.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arrow of the Minotaur
    This arrow is fashioned from the horn of a minotaur, and when fired from a bow will seek out the nearest exit to the maze or maze-like environment the wielder currently inhabits and stick in the ground at that location, and will stay there until retrieved by the wielder. The arrow evades any creatures or objects in its path and cannot be used to attack. A silk-like thread extends from the back of the arrow to one of the fingers used to draw the bow and only disappears when the arrow is retrieved. The thread cannot be used for any other purpose other than to find the arrow. If there is no exit the arrow can pass through it will drop to the ground a feet feet from its wielder when fired. The arrow can be used to automatically escape the labyrinth of the maze spell, in which case the arrow will stick in the ground at the position the wielder was when the spell was cast.

Not really a sword, but can be rewritten to be one, e.g. one that drags the wielder to the nearest exit.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, better to keep it as an arrow, and it fits the feel of the thread certainly.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #50

Hearalds helper:
    This weapon grants it's user a +10 bonus on Knowledge(nobility), and allows the user to make Knowledge(nobility) checks even if he has no ranks in that skill. the user does not need to be holding the weapon to gain this benafit, though the sword must be on his person. Often cast on daggers used by court officals.

Conmans companion
    :
    this weapon grants +10 bonus on Bluff checks while held or worn. At least one bardic collage is known to use raipers enchanted with this as prizes for contests.

Scholars Crib:
    Useually a dagger, but sometimes other weapons. This grants a 5+ bonus on a single Knowledge skill, determined when the weapon is made.

Druids eye:
    a large, clear stone is set into this weapon. Anyone looking into the stone recieves a accurate statment of the natural wether patterns within a 10-mile area for the next 24hours. On command, it can give a statment on the wether within 1 mile of a named location on the same plane of exsistance. Note that magical and other unnatual weather changes, such as those caused by a Control wether spell, are not predicted.

Trailblazer:
    when held, this sword will tell the user the direction to a named location on the same plane of exsistance. Note this is always 'as the crow flies', and that this rotue is not always the quickest, easyist or safest. This sword can only lead to locations on the plane of exsistance, and can only lead to a porperly named phyical structure, not the location of a given person (e.g. the sword can point the way to 'Castle Ravenholme', but not to 'place my beloved is being kept'

Linguist's tongue:
    this sword has a hilt shaped like a mouth. 3 times a day, it can grant the user the ability to speak any tounge as the Comprehend languages spell.
    (would it be too much to make this an At will ability?)

Scibe's delight:
    A very large clear semi-precious stone is set into this weapon. any text viewed though the stone will be translated into the readers native script and tongue. if the script was encoded in the orginal, this ability does not allow the reader to read the encoded text, though it may allow him to attempt to decode it.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Juxord

The Juxtaposition Sword is a +2 longsword has the power to switch places with its wielder at will, as a standard action; the sword has been balanced to allow it to be thrown, with 30' range increment

The Blade of Bitter Vengeance

This black-bladed +3 bastard sword is possessed by a demonic force, & wants only to kill; it will not affect PC's or other party members; Dancing, Intelligent, & Cursed (cannot be disposed of without a wish, a curse removal, or a powerful blessing); the blade often chants “All for the Appeasement of the Ever-Hungry Blood God!” while rampaging; the blade goes on rampages semi-randomly (5% chance per current time increment)

The Sword of Fear

This sentient +5 longsword inflicts fear spells with successful strikes; it is extremely agoraphobic, & wants only to remain in its scabbard; the owner must succeed a Will save to draw the sword (DC17)

The Soul Sword

This sentient +4 keen dancing scimitar must take 1d6 lives before being sheathed; it will attack PCs &/or other party members if no other living beings are available, undead & constructs do not count against this number

The Sword of Spite

This glowing golden +1 longsword will kill anyone/anything that touches the blade (death effect, no saving throw); this is told to the PC's via a scrawled note & an example NPC dying before their eyes; a major artifact

The Bane of Zyrves

A +5 zyrve bane weapon, humorous as nobody has never will never heard of or encountered zyrves, & one must wonder why somebody would create such an odd thing

The Sword of the Colossus

This strangely-shaped +2 holy bastard sword is actually discovered to be a key that fits a strangely-shaped lock in a lever-filled chamber inside a colossal iron statue, allowing a person to operate the statue like a robot

The Ugly Stick

This crudely-wrought wooden +2 short sword inflicts -2 Charisma damage with each successful hit

The Number Sword

This is an inscrutably intelligent magical sword; if the wielder attempts to remove the sword from the scabbard, it paralyzes the wielder, & asks “Who are your enemies?”; if the enemies are in sight it says “Give me a number.”; afterward the wielder feels a sensation of motion, a thunderclap occurs, & the sword strikes faster that the eye can see, killing any enemy within 40’ whose level is less than (or equal to) the number given; otherwise it deals damage equal to 10× the number given; it also deals damage equal to 5× the number given to the user; the sword does nothing if given a number higher than 10 or lower than 0; the sword always round down fractions
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2007-07-21 at 05:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Kingmaker

This blade will readily enter any stone material and become stuck there. It can be given a single order specifying the people that will be able to pull it free. Either a specific name can be given or some condition like "an amazing fighter", "whoever best fit to rule the land", "someone who has eaten a sandwich recently". After the sword has been pulled free by its destined owner it cannot be reinserted into a stone for one month.

Impatience Blade

This blade allows the wielder to take one way leaps into the future. The wielder can choose to vanish and then reappear in the same spot after exactly either 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 1 century, or 1 millenia. If a solid object has been moved into the place they occupied they will be displaced to the nearest open space, taking 1 hp of damage for each foot displaced after the first 1000 feet.

Peacemaker

This blade can be snapped in half over the bearer's knee to have the following effects:
    *Stabilize the injuries of up to 1000 wounded people in -HP of the bearer's choice within 1 mile.
    *Cast a geas upon the bearer and one willing target to maintain peace and never wage war against each other again. To remove this geas from either two Wishes must first be used , one on each person.
    *Mentally project orders from both parties to everyone within 1 mile announcing their truce.
    *Create a beautiful rainbow arching over the landscape, even at night. The rainbow lasts two hours.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mole Whiskers

The possessor of a Mole Whiskers broadsword gains Tremorsense with a range of 40', and an alarm function, warning the bearer of the weapon of approaching creatures. When drawn, the range of the Tremorsense increases to 60', but loses it's alarm function.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not sure how handy or dandy it is, but this IS a magic sword a previous DM has given to the party:

Sword of Healing
    A completely unremarkable-looking shortsword, but it radiates a faint aura of Conjuration when checked. It does 1d6 damage like any normal shortsword, but also channels 1d8 positive energy into whatever is struck. Which means, of course, that attempting to kill any living creature with it is kind of an exercise in futility (though undead are still fair game). It also means that, while it's theoretically possible to use this sword to heal your party, they really won't love you for it.

In the original incarnation, it was a Stick of Healing -- 1d2 dmg, 1d4 heal. Our party didn't have a cleric, so after every fight, the Stickbearer would sigh, and begin bludgeoning us back to health.
    Last edited by Mount; 2007-07-23 at 12:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Remember when doctors used to say "this won't hurt a bit". With those weapons "This will hurt quite a lot".

Sword of the Servant

This sword spends most of its time in human form as a short man man in a tuxedo with all stats at 10, 10 HP, and 10 Ranks of Profession (Butler). The man will obey any order but has no combat ability beyond that of a level 1 commoner with no weapons proficiencies. The butler does not need to eat, sleep, breathe, and doesn't age or gain xp. On command he will transform into a longsword and back. If injured when entering sword form he will be injured when becoming humanoid again.

Surf Striker

This blade can summon a small sailing boat capable of carrying two people or an equivalent amount of goods. In the summoning process the sword is transformed into the tiller. If you banish the ship the sword is set free. Banishing or summoning the ship takes three full rounds.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

The Desperation

This innocuous +1 shortsword will grant its wielder an unlimited number of wishes. However, before each wish can be granted, the wielder must use the sword to slay someone close to them. This stipulation can include the following:
    1) Blood Relatives (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew)
    2) Personal Friends (people that you "know quite well" & have been on friendly terms with for 3 or more years)
    3) Party Members, Allies, Cohorts, or Hirelings that have been with you for at least 1 year
    4) Spouses, Fiances, or Girlfriends/Boyfriends that you have had for at least 1 year
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2007-07-23 at 05:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Lizardfolk

Note none of these actually have to be applied to a sword, but are called that anyway.

Also- all of these weapons typically speak in the voice of the owner, though they may be set to any voice in a language the owner may speak if the owner gets that person to speak a sample (One minute of varied speech) in that language.

Sword of the Geographer

Spoiler
    Show

This weapon enchantment, worth a +1 enhancement bonus, was designed so that Surveyors of territory, Cartographers, building engineers, and other such scholarly types would never be without their tools or a means to defend themselves. When asked, (Preferably politely), the sword will open up, essentially becoming one of these tools-

Sextant- (Splits down the center with the appropriate tools forming within)

A length of ribbon marked in inches and 1 and 5 feet increments, extending up to 200 feet. This ribbon is as strong as a silk rope, and may be used as such in emergencies.

Spyglass- (Just look in the hilt end!)

A "Drafting Compass" for drawing circles, (mostly in the ground- any simple geometric figures will be drawn with correct proportions without fail using the tip of the blade, not just circles)

If placed in a body of water or on the point of another weapon, hung lengthwise with string, or even just tossed straight up into the air to let land on the ground it will automatically twist to point true north.

In addition, you may point the sword at any object and ask it to give you the relative angle of two lines, the estimated distance between you and said object, perform simple mathematics (Anything a non-scientific calculator may do, though it can also solve for "X" and convert decimals and may be taught more complex processes, or asked to remember values such as how much Dinars equal a Lira) or estimate the speed at which something is travelling, or even just to remember something about a specific subject.

If asked "Where am I?", it will respond to the best of it's knowledge.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the sword may be opened up like a scroll case to reveal a 100-mile map of the surrounding area, complete with landmarks, roads, buildings, and other such information- but only that the owner has seen, or has been previously read from other maps. (Though the sword knows to update itself if a read map was outdated.)
    This ability does not work indoors, and records nothing more detailed than street information in this manner. The map also glows faintly at night or in dark places, but only enough to read just the map.

The sword never "forgets" information, though if destroyed and reforged through mundane means it may lose some information, and it may be asked to delete and replace old information.

Overland Flight 1/Day (1 hour duration)

Sword of the Wayfarer

Spoiler
    Show

A related enchantment to the Geographer's sword, the sword of the Wayfarer contains a handful of enchantments (totalling a value of a +1 enhancement), and are often combined with the Sword of the Geographer to create the "Sword of the Wandering Scholar".

The wielder of the sword does not suffer from fatigue from regular travel, although armor fatigue and fatigue from extreme weather or terrain and such still apply.

The owner gains a +2 bonus to resist all mundane diseases.

The sword gives a +2 bonus to all checks to find food and shelter in the wild.

If placed into water, it will render up to 1 gallon drinkable a minute.

It may also simply create water, but only enough to support the wielder.

The sword recognizes without fail, and will attempt to stop the carrier from stepping onto, dangerous terrain and will function as an immovable rod for 1 round if the owner tries to. This applies to things such as bridges that are about to give out, roads with speeding traffic, quicksand, cliffs, weak ice on lakes, and other notable overworld hazards, though it will not do so for traps or creatures (it will not stop the wielder from wandering within reach of an Assassin Vine or similiar.)

In addition, the weapon knows how to apologize profusely and beg for it's owners life in all languages, and will do so if it feels it's appropriate. (Or if requested by it's owner.) The Sword allows the user to make a diplomacy check once per day using the owner's Charisma and Diplomacy in any language, with an additional +2 bonus, once per day, however this ability may only be used to beg, plead, and otherwise grovel at people's feet for mercy.

The ability to make a bardic knowledge check with a bard level equal to your current character level, or just a +2 bonus if your bard level IS your character level.

If pointed at something and asked, will identify the geographical origin of said item or creature.

Rope Trick 1/Day (Duration- 12 hours)

Spelunker's Sword

Spoiler
    Show

Functions much like the previous swords in many aspects, but is more powerful for an adventurer and carries a +1 overall bonus. Notable uses are-

Functions as a light source equal to a regular Lantern (or some other Light spell).

When asked, points straight up, true north, or which route to take to a destination previously visited.

May produce and purify enough air for 6 people to breathe incase of a cave-in.

May turn into a self-stabilizing metal ladder up to 50 feet tall.

Automatically detects and functions as an immovable rod if the wearer is about to set foot on something dangerous, be it a trap, into an ambush, or somewhere that will cause a cave in. (though the sword only detects possible immediate bodily harm.)

May produce a local map of any interior the sword or wielder has been in, complete with back-light (only enough to read the map) in dark conditions.

May identify any material the weapon is touched to, listing "ingredients" in order of greatest to least (within reason).

Passwall, split as wanted, up to Character level feet/day.

Weapon of the Cosmic Descryer

Spoiler
    Show

This powerful weapon carries a +2 bonus, and does one of a few things-

Produces a map of the Great Wheel and any known (by the sword or owner) persistent interdimensional gateways between places.

Produces a Very vague map of the current plane, including known landmarks, cities, and of course gateways. This weapon either shows the entire plane, or the current piece (For example, an overall map of which layer of the abyss you're on.), though it can be asked for other planar maps if desired. Basically the map equivalent of a very detailed globe.

Automatically makes the owner a "Native" of that plane, including the ability to safely exist and travel on that plane, (For example, providing a swim speed and water breathing if visiting the plane of water, or giving fire resistance on the plane of Fire), and making the wielder immune to banishing, including frin spells such as Dictum and Blasphemy.

this effect also includes the ability to speak, read, and write the plane's "Native" language, but only while actually on that plane.

The wielder may not be summoned, plane shifted, Gated, or otherwise unwillingly transported between Planes. This includes being moved somewhere temporarily via a spell such as "Summon", and refusing to return to where you once were.

The wielder may also never be kept on a plane against his will, but only in the sense the wielder may always "escape" from where he is- he is still prevented from going places he couldn't normally.

If pointed at something and asked, will identify and state the home plane of said entity or object.

Plane shift 1/day

The World-blade/staff/dagger/nunchucks/etc

Spoiler
    Show

Really just a fancy title for any weapon enchanted with all four of those abilities. These effects are meant to be synergistic, and work well with eachother. (with the Map becoming the ancient equivalent of Google Maps)

However, having every enchantment on as a set improves two functions, synergy withstanding. Namely-

Increases Passwall (up to 2x ECL feet/Day)
    Allows the user to cast Magnificent Mansion at will.

In addition, all skill bonuses provided by the weapon are increased to +4.

Of course, this is probably overpowered, but it's still cool, Yes?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

UPS (Univeral Parcel Sword)

Once per day, this sword can be used to cast greater teleport on up to 500 pounds of inanimate solid matter. However, once the package has been delivered, someone must be there to sign an invoice for the package within 1 minute of delivery; otherwise the package will disappear into an extradimensional space & will remain there for 24 hours, after which the delivery attempt will be made again. A unsigned package will not limit the sword's ability to ship that day, but the wielder will be immediately notified that the package was not properly received.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

InstaSwords

These tiny poppy seed sized metal pellets usually arrive in cloth bags of 100 count. If placed in water the pellets will quickly expand and form into the shape of a longsword. They will stop growing if placed in a container that restricts their growth in any way (its actually safe to swallow them). Placing them in a larger container will allow them to continue growing.

30. - Top - End - #60

Drunkards Dagger

Three times a day by speaking a command word, this dagger can be used to fill a container with 12 ounces of water, ale, or wine per the users choice. This effect can also be used without a container, either holding the daggers blade above their mouth to drink directly or pouring it out in some other way.

Interestingly, a person may use the daggers ability in battle, stabbing an opponent with the blade and commanding it to create ale. If the dagger is buried in to the hilt, the victim of the attack will then suffer as if they had drunk ten 12 ounce glasses of the ale in less then an hour. Often resulting in immediate unconsciousness or alcohol poisoning.

Scribes Dagger

The hilt of this dagger can be removed to reveal a pointed tip which secrets coal-black or blood-red ink when run against a surface upon the users preference. The blade can be used to write notes or letters. Another command word causes the blade to spill out large quantities of the desired ink color causing messy puddles.

Merchant's Dagger

This ornate dagger begins to buzz and shake like an angry bee if someone attempts to remove some of the merchants wares from the shop. If used in combat, it deals nonlethal damage but releases a painful stinging poison that stuns the target and slows them down.