New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #5: Chronicles of Duty: Modern Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Hello again I remembered a somewhat silly idea I had for a fan game. Not certain what it would be called but basically you are a king (or queen). Not that you have any power or significance in the real world. Just that fifteen hundred years ago or what have you one of your ancestors became leader of whatever small region and just something about that has stuck and been passed down for generations even after the kingdom was long gone. Maybe have most people not fully realizing that they have some minor supernatural power. For most people it would be a couple of odd talents and having people always expecting you to solve their problems.
    Sounds like a add-on for Hunter more than most anything else. Maybe the Uncrowned King is a new thaumaturge path. Or were you thinking WoD instead of CoD?
    Either way, you should write it up so we can see it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

That reminds me, I never posted my fansplat thingie here.

Months ago there was a discussion on one of the Chronicles of Darkness discords about "How would you handle a time-manipulation/travel fansplat", after months of thinking on the subject I eventually decided to start writing down the idea to get my fansplat pitch into a playtest-ready state. Oracle the Endbringers is the result.

In Oracle you play a person who was cursed with visions of a coming apocalypse by a god, but blessed with the power to fight against the inevitable. From then onwards you are a person partially outside of time, doomed to a time loop until you either succeed in your divine mission or the apocalypse becomes so impossible to stop that your timeline is sealed away. Together you will work with similarly blessed souls to form a pantheon, hoping to use your control over time and the gifts of your god to wage war against destiny itself.
    In version 0.11, it is primarily mechanics + introduction + antagonists, but the focus for the first two updates was to make sure it is fully playable rather than doing what I've seen some other fansplats do and just focus purely on the flavour and never finishing the mechanics. It is definitely not flawless and there is much more content to add, but hopefully with the playtesting of my group and criticism of others it will be refined over time.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #723
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Playing a human in a WoD 20th anniversary ed.

I'm new to this game.
    We are playing in a variant of Dark Ages.

Hope this is the right thread for this.

I have seen somewhere that with 5 successes in Craft you can make a mastercraft item. Where did I read that? Wrong version of the game maybe???

If you make a mastercraft weapon, does it have any mechanical benefits? Is it easier to use, do more damage or just harder to break?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only 20th anniversary edition with a Dark Ages version is Vampire, and there's no rules for such things there.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfishyfishy View Post
    Only 20th anniversary edition with a Dark Ages version is Vampire, and there's no rules for such things there.
    OK, no rules for the effect.

I found the passage of text stating that with 5 successes in Craft you can make a mastercraft item. It is under Creation[variable] on page 336 of Dark Ages Vampire the Anniversary ed. But I expect such an item may only be of great beauty or value, it may not actually be any better that a similar item created with only 3 successes.

If the created item is a weapon it would likely be the envy of most who would see it.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Fun Promethean 2e fact:

As a consequence of the rules for gaining Transmutations, and the way the Stannum Refinement works, every single Promethean holds within them the capacity to just say "**** it" and start throwing lightning bolts around at the drop of a hat.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe I should finally get Promethean 2E. I wonder if it helps with the first edition's unfortunate trait of "really cool, but how do you play it?".
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Maybe I should finally get Promethean 2E. I wonder if it helps with the first edition's unfortunate trait of "really cool, but how do you play it?".
    It does! It even gives mechanical hooks for how the Pilgrimage is supposed to progress! It's pretty great.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

I know I've been saying it for years now, but I really hope the Hunter 2E Kickstarter is here soon. Once the oWoD Vampire one is done, maybe. It's the last nWoD game to be updated to CofD.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #730

Even Mummy 2e made it to Kickstarter first! Hunter 2e must have really had a troubled development.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of it was the Matt McFarland debacle, I think; once they found out what he'd done they had to purge and rewrite a lot.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm guessing plagiarism was a thing that happened in Hunter 2E's writing period?

Probably a lot?

I'm looking forward to Deviant, personally. I'm just hoping it won't have a major lore-change in the middle of development that completely changes the tone of the game to almost the opposite of the game we were told we were getting.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm guessing plagiarism was a thing that happened in Hunter 2E's writing period?

Probably a lot?
    At this point I'm going to be disappointed if a theoretical Hunter 3e book gets developed without any plagiarism.

I'm looking forward to Deviant, personally. I'm just hoping it won't have a major lore-change in the middle of development that completely changes the tone of the game to almost the opposite of the game we were told we were getting.
    I'm also looking forward to Rider: the Masked, although there's a couple of bits I wish they'd change (study as making how you're altered utterly unimportant), I do hope that they don't pull a 180 like they did with Beast.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #734

Dark Eras 2 is out to backers and I am enjoying it. Oracles & Crocodile Shifters are neat, as is rules for Prometheans & Mages in the hedge.

No, the rewrites are because the company cut ties with Matt McFarland (which I approve of), and whenever OP does that they end up completely removing and rewriting any of their content in the upcoming book so that they don't need to pay the person they are cutting off. Did the same thing with Olivia Hill with Changeling and with, Morke & Holden's Exalted 3e: Arms of the Chosen.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2020-01-16 at 08:21 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that all the previews we got were before McFarland's outing and resulting rewrites, Hunter 2E is a bit of an enigma right now. I'm trying to temper my expectations so I don't end up disappointed if it goes in a different direction than I'd envision it.

16. - Top - End - #736

So, all I know about the Holden situation was that it was officially becuase of delays in Exalted(which I don't think got better with him gone) and unofficially becuase he demanded that OPP pay him the difference after they cleated him out of fair pay for his work.

What did McFarland do?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #737

Sexual harrassment, abuse, and sexual assault. Was quiet at the time, but then at the beginning of last year became public. McFarland acknowledged the truth in the accusations in a since-deleted Medium post.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #738

I think it helps Hunter 2e that the person being removed isn't the developer of the line, unlike with Changeling. So the overall vision of the game is probably consistent from pre-removal to post-removal.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

After ten thousand years, the Kickstarter for Hunter: the Vigil 2E was scheduled for February 6th.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

After ten thousand years, the Kickstarter for Hunter: the Vigil 2E was scheduled for February 6th.
    You said "After ten thousand years", and I filled in "It's time to conquer Earth."

Wasn't there a sentai oWoD game, at some point?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Well I picked up Changeling: the Lost 2e when I stumbled across it in a FLGS, because I had no clue that CofD was doing print runs, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Especially the Seeming/Kith split, the last I'd heard was that Seemings were how you escaped Arcadia, but now they seem to be your archetype in your Keeper's story, while your Kith is your duties in Arcadia. It just seems to work.

Fully thoughts aved until I've finished reading it.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well I picked up Changeling: the Lost 2e when I stumbled across it in a FLGS, because I had no clue that CofD was doing print runs, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Especially the Seeming/Kith split, the last I'd heard was that Seemings were how you escaped Arcadia, but now they seem to be your archetype in your Keeper's story, while your Kith is your duties in Arcadia. It just seems to work.
    Changeling 2E seems to have been dramatically rewritten between the Kickstarter manuscript and the released version. It threw me off a bit too. But I certainly like the final result. Changeling really benefits from CofD as a whole stepping away from the need for every power to come in five dots.

Meanwhile, the Hunter Kickstarter has been going on while the forums were down, and so far I like what I'm seeing. But I'm eager to see the character creation and rules section. I want hunters to have a robust set of mechanics that apply regardless of compact or conspiracy. The organizations and their Endowments have been polished, but not radically changed.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Changeling 2E seems to have been dramatically rewritten between the Kickstarter manuscript and the released version. It threw me off a bit too. But I certainly like the final result. Changeling really benefits from CofD as a whole stepping away from the need for every power to come in five dots.
    Oh, it seems to have gotten a Beast, but a well done one where the key themes aren't changed to make the characters even more abusive. And yeah, changing from each Contract having five Clauses to just having a bunch of weaker and stronger Contracts within a theme really helps.

Meanwhile, the Hunter Kickstarter has been going on while the forums were down, and so far I like what I'm seeing. But I'm eager to see the character creation and rules section. I want hunters to have a robust set of mechanics that apply regardless of compact or conspiracy. The organizations and their Endowments have been polished, but not radically changed.
    Yeah, honestly final Conspiracies are done of the last interesting bits of Hunter, I'd love to have good rules for building and maintaining a more local organisation.

Show

24. - Top - End - #744

How are courts handled in Changeling and are Entitlements still a thing?

Becuase I uh, I really liked the idea of the Scarecrow Ministry.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello again. I'm still clinging to the first edition of Chronicles of Darkness game (I'm moving on! I used the proper name for the game system. Mostly because I would otherwise make a comment about using NWoD for first edition and CoD for the second edition. Which I have now done.). Well. Had two ideas related to Mage the Awakening.

First. Have it so that the term Exarchs is used for two related but different things. Specifically the term refers to two things similar to the Watchtowers and the Oracles. There are the "Thrones" which are the grand ideas in the Supernal realm. And then their are the Exarchs who are ascended Mages who have a complicated relationship with the "Thrones" where they sort of rule them, sort of serve them, sort of are them. So things like Ochemata are manifestations of Exarchs but not the Thrones. Also the random "Atlantean" ruins are remnants of timelines that Exarchs came from and are part of how they maintain control of the world, not by any particular function but just by the act of existing they help link the Supernal to the Fallen. And not all Exarchs come from the same timeline so while some have a variety of ancient ruins other Exarchs are connected in more unusual ways that I have not taken the time to imagine.

The other idea was a mage character. He would probably be a veteran because it is the simplest backstory to write for the idea. Basically he and a close friend were injured and hospitalized. Character made it, friend did not. The experience led to him awakening as a Thyrsus. The Scottish song about the low road and the high road home played a major role in the awakening. He is haunted by the ghost of his friend and has some fascination with death. If I was writing it the central mystery would include the fact that his friend awakened as he was dying causing stuff to happen. Moros might be a better fit, I originally suggested Thyrsus because I was originally thinking about a homebrewed set of Watchtowers I like which has a Life Death path.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

26. - Top - End - #746

How are courts handled in Changeling and are Entitlements still a thing?

Becuase I uh, I really liked the idea of the Scarecrow Ministry.
    Courts are groups of changelings who made a pact with a patron. Entitlements will be in Oak, Ash, and Thorn, but they're going to be different.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Courts are groups of changelings who made a pact with a patron. Entitlements will be in Oak, Ash, and Thorn, but they're going to be different.
    So if my Autumn Court prankster wanted to be a Scarecrow Minister, I'd have to either force a pact that granted the duties if "scare mortals away from X places" with priveledges to match or else inherit/steal it from someone else who did.

And then I'd be the Scarecrow Minister.

Do I have that right?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been a very long time since I looked at the changeling 2e book, did the entirely nix the thing where you could invoke story tropes? Talecrafting, talespinning, fatespinning, something like that?
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #749

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    It's been a very long time since I looked at the changeling 2e book, did the entirely nix the thing where you could invoke story tropes? Talecrafting, talespinning, fatespinning, something like that?
    They didn't nix it, it's just not in Core (just like it wasn't core in 1e). iirc, some of that is going to be in Kith and Kin.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

So idle speculation but : how are Vampires, particularly the Sabbat, feeding during the current lockdown ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem