New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #5: Chronicles of Duty: Modern Darkness

A question - I have a CofD mortal character ready to go. However, I've managed to borrow a copy of Geist, and I'd like to transition said character from base CofD to Geist. Do I simply pick an Archetype, a Threshold, some Manifestations and Keys, and add to his backstory, or do I have to remove anything? Obviously mortal-only stuff would have to go, but other than that?

Forged By Dragon's Fire, eh? And hang on, Mage allows for plant familiars that suck up Paradox? If the rationale behind it doesn't involve their converting Paradox into glucose, I'm grabbing my rotten-tomato crate .
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Forged By Dragon's Fire, eh? And hang on, Mage allows for plant familiars that suck up Paradox? If the rationale behind it doesn't involve their converting Paradox into glucose, I'm grabbing my rotten-tomato crate .
    Mage Familiars can be whatever you want them to be. One of the examples in the book is a Virtual Adept who has a laptop for a familiar.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

A question - I have a CofD mortal character ready to go. However, I've managed to borrow a copy of Geist, and I'd like to transition said character from base CofD to Geist. Do I simply pick an Archetype, a Threshold, some Manifestations and Keys, and add to his backstory, or do I have to remove anything? Obviously mortal-only stuff would have to go, but other than that?
    You do everything listed under "Add Sin-Eater template" in the G:TSE character creation section, then add three more dots of merits if you're playing 2e.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #154

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    You do everything listed under "Add Sin-Eater template" in the G:TSE character creation section, then add three more dots of merits if you're playing 2e.
    Cool. I realized in looking at the original character and the Geist template that it was actually better to create a time lapse and restructure the character a bit than to simply apply the template and be done - basically, I made a Geist character about 70% the original, with changes excused as a couple years of time passing - but I'm glad I know now, thanks Sith. Would 2e be the 2015 CofD? If not, what does that one fall under, because that's the book I have?...

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Mage Familiars can be whatever you want them to be. One of the examples in the book is a Virtual Adept who has a laptop for a familiar.
    That explains the cognitive dissonance on my part .
    Last edited by JBPuffin; 2017-02-23 at 11:27 PM.

Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cool. I realized in looking at the original character and the Geist template that it was actually better to create a time lapse and restructure the character a bit than to simply apply the template and be done - basically, I made a Geist character about 70% the original, with changes excused as a couple years of time passing - but I'm glad I know now, thanks Sith. Would 2e be the 2015 CofD? If not, what does that one fall under, because that's the book I have?...

That explains the cognitive dissonance on my part .
    There is no 2e geist. 2e geist is being worked on, but it's currently in it's second draft.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2017-02-23 at 11:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    There is no 2e geist. 2e geist is being worked on, but it's currently in it's second draft.
    Though "translating" the current version to the 2e base rules is mostly just a matter of adjusting experience costs, coming up with appropriate Anchors, and tweaking Synergy to work more like Integrity.

...Actually there's probably more stuff involved for Geist being how much of their stuff presumably needs to work right with the Ephemeral Being rules.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Though "translating" the current version to the 2e base rules is mostly just a matter of adjusting experience costs, coming up with appropriate Anchors, and tweaking Synergy to work more like Integrity.

...Actually there's probably more stuff involved for Geist being how much of their stuff presumably needs to work right with the Ephemeral Being rules.
    Anchors should still be virtue and vice (since ghosts have virtue and vice and in 2e you're sorta two ghosts possessing a body), but there is surprisingly little issues in getting Sin-Eaters to work with the new ephemeral rules since most of their stuff interacting with ghosts are primarily interacting with twilight stuff and avernian gates which remain basically the same.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2017-02-23 at 11:48 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently Geist 2e is getting some of the biggest 1e-to-2e changes.

I haven't actually played Geist for more than about two posts on PBP but it's one that always interested me (though it still couldn't top how deeply I need to play Changeling).
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I was asking about my copy of the core rules, actually. Good to know it's being worked on, at least - pretty sure this is the WoD game I want to start with, if I can get a group together sometime...

Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'm tempted to run the "Wolf and Raven" Dark Era sometime - Viking-era Werewolf/Geist - because 1) on the deep end there's a lot to play with re:Werewolves as spirit cops/Geists as ghost cops/Christianity as a revolution in how people spiritually relate to nature and the dead and 2) on the shallow end, haha siiiick. But IDK when I'll have time to actually run it, though!

11. - Top - End - #161

I was asking about my copy of the core rules, actually.
    Oh, well. If it says Chronicles of Darkness on the cover, then it's 2e. If it says World of Darkness, then it's 1e, but there is a pdf which has the 2e update for free called the World of Darkness: God-Machine Chronicles Rules Update so you wont need to buy the new book (though the true 2e core rulebook does have some small extra stuff the update lacks like rules for GM's to build horrors and chase rules that you may want anyway).
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

According to the latest monday meeting, backers are gonna be able to get their Dark Eras Companion pdfs.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, I am at times mildly obsessed with (symmetry? having things fit a pattern) and it has always annoyed me that the inferior arcana of Pandemonium is Matter because it makes both Stygian Arcana be disfavored and breaks a rough pattern where the Arcana form a loop.

Aethar dislikes Death
    Stygia dislikes Spirit
    Primal Wild dislikes Mind
    Pandemonium dislikes Matter (big pattern break)
    Arcadia dislikes Forces (minor pattern break)

It seems like it would make a lot of sense for the Mastigos inferior arcanum to be Fate. A key trait of Pandemonium is adversity and struggle, growing beyond yourself and overcoming weakness. A disconnect with Fate would make sense because you need to grow beyond your limitations, your fate.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfishyfishy View Post
    Hi guys, I'm preparing for a M20 Chronicle that I'll be running in a month or two. It's a game where the player characters are members of the Technocratic Union who are in a special division that attempts to save mankind from the horrors of the supernatural. Theme and mood is a cross between various media like The X-Files, Stranger Things, Men In Black, Ghostbusters, Fringe, Warehouse 13, and Torchwood. The idea is to capture the feel of covert government-type agents dispatched to solve mysterious and often horrific events occurring all over the country. Each story will highlight a different city or town that is experiencing its own supernatural phenomena. The player characters will be from all over the county, and occasional scenes will take place in their homes and show a bit of their life outside the Union. Each story arc will begin with a debriefing in headquarters, followed by the James Bond-esq equipment scene, and then deployment. From there the players will choose their own path to unraveling mysteries and advancing the plot. Meta-plot and other game lines are mostly ignored. The Avatar Storm/Dimensional Anomaly occurred and has faded away by this point, though I'm not sure if I should stick with that for reasons I'll mention below. The Technocracy has gone through some changes due to losing contact with their leadership, and more moderate-to-less-extreme leaders have taken charge in their place. Other supernaturals exist, but for the purposes of this chronicle the Mage cosmology is assumed to be the correct one and any such characters that show up will either be enemies or short term NPCs. Each story is self contained, though they are all connected in a way. The players will take on various supernatural threats across the country which are all seemingly unconnected. I was considering using Threat Null as the main cross-story antagonist through this chronicle. Perhaps I should use the plot arc that the Dimensional Anomaly is being maintained by the Void Engineers to keep them at bay? What thoughts does the playground have?
    This chronicle is going to be starting next week. I'm still open to tips and advice.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

So, something occurred to me, in that in oWoD mage, you can use prime 3 to enchant your life pattern. This has several effects, but the most relevant are as listed below.

- You can now physically touch, and punch the faces off of, ghosts and spirits.

- You can remake your Etheric Form into whatever you want it to be for the duration of the effect.

Combined with Life 3 to boost your physical traits, and possibly spirit 2 if you want the Etheric Form to effect the physical world, A canny mage could use this to essentially turn their Umbral form into some sort of Kaiju and then kick an unruly spirits hindquarters, or pull some spooky **** where they make their Etheric form into something strange and situationally useful. Like adding tentacles with eyes or something and then spirit 1 to simply look across the gauntlet for an easy form of magical surveillance.

The main advantage to this, is it's powerful, dangerous, and it's entirely low key to anyone not looking across the gauntlet. Meaning 90% of sleepers aren't going to notice anythings going on, unless you reach your spooky tentacle arms across the gauntlet to try and rip people in half.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Question regarding vampire regeneration (V:tM revised if it's system dependent): how fast does it work if the vampire in question isn't investing any blood into speeding it up? I don't know if I'm not reading the rules right or not finding the section dealing with what I need.

Specific situation is that the Malk cut his hand off and one of the side effects of his derangement is that he's convinced that his blood is useless for just about anything vampires use blood for, including healing. Would the hand grow back if he wasn't intentionally putting blood points toward it? If so, how long would it take?

17. - Top - End - #167

I might be pulling this out of my ass since it's been forever since I've taken a look in a VtM book but I was under the impression that vampires don't heal at all unless they expend blood to do so.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AshfireMage View Post
    Question regarding vampire regeneration (V:tM revised if it's system dependent): how fast does it work if the vampire in question isn't investing any blood into speeding it up? I don't know if I'm not reading the rules right or not finding the section dealing with what I need.

Specific situation is that the Malk cut his hand off and one of the side effects of his derangement is that he's convinced that his blood is useless for just about anything vampires use blood for, including healing. Would the hand grow back if he wasn't intentionally putting blood points toward it? If so, how long would it take?
    There's a rule that you need three blood points to regenerate a hand or a leg if dismembered, and vampires are basically static and spend blood to remain unchanged from their state upon death every night, which undoes minor damage and any changes you might've made that are even skin deep, like tattoos and whatnot, unless done with Vicissitude. So, let's say part of his nightly 1 blood point cost for rising now goes into his hand to regenerate. From there, it's your call, it might take a week, it might take two weeks, maybe even a month, part of which he's gonna spend with a creepy-looking half-hand with finger stumps or something.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Hi, I am at times mildly obsessed with (symmetry? having things fit a pattern) and it has always annoyed me that the inferior arcana of Pandemonium is Matter because it makes both Stygian Arcana be disfavored and breaks a rough pattern where the Arcana form a loop.

Aethar dislikes Death
    Stygia dislikes Spirit
    Primal Wild dislikes Mind
    Pandemonium dislikes Matter (big pattern break)
    Arcadia dislikes Forces (minor pattern break)

It seems like it would make a lot of sense for the Mastigos inferior arcanum to be Fate. A key trait of Pandemonium is adversity and struggle, growing beyond yourself and overcoming weakness. A disconnect with Fate would make sense because you need to grow beyond your limitations, your fate.
    I believe that the 1e Mage dev stated that by the pattern, Acanthus would disfavor Prime and Mastigos would disfavor Fate. However, it was decided that Fate was too vital thanks to Conditional Targeting, and Prime was too vital thanks to being Prime. Mastigos also couldn't lose Time for Hung Spells.
    So yes, it would make sense in Watsonian terms, but was nixed for Doyleist reasons.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

After ten thousand years of despair and solitude, we've finally got some Hunter open development. A possible shape of Endowments in 2e.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Question: Is it worth springing for the premium heavyweight version of V20, or does standard look/feel nice enough?

I collect rpg handbooks as well as play them, so I'd like to have something that's aesthetically pleasing and nice to thumb through, but the extra $30 is putting me off. Doable, but not something I want to shell out if there's not a lot of difference between the two.

22. - Top - End - #172

The paper quality is pretty bad in the standard versions. Colors are more vibrant in the premium.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

So I got my backer copy of C20.

...I really want to play this now. So much nostalgia.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah hello again. I still have a fondness for New World of Darkness (by which I mean, Chronicles, 1st edition), and I though of a good definition of two of the more troubling vices, Gluttony and Lust. These two have clear associations with food and carnal desire, but they should be more than that. They both represent forms of indulgence, so what I was thinking is that a good way to define them would be that Gluttony is overindulgence which harms the self, while Lust is overindulgence that harms others.

Do these seem like good definitions?

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Ah hello again. I still have a fondness for New World of Darkness (by which I mean, Chronicles, 1st edition), and I though of a good definition of two of the more troubling vices, Gluttony and Lust. These two have clear associations with food and carnal desire, but they should be more than that. They both represent forms of indulgence, so what I was thinking is that a good way to define them would be that Gluttony is overindulgence which harms the self, while Lust is overindulgence that harms others.

Do these seem like good definitions?
    If someone held a gun to my head and also had me in an Aurora chair as a sufficient condition to make me use Virtue/Vice as personality mechanics, I'd probably make it the other way around. Gluttony takes resources away from others, harming them through the sudden absence, while Lust makes you susceptible to being tricked and used.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Does anyone have a link to a good post (or just want to type one up themselves) for a fairly unbiased comparison of the changes between all of the different editions of Masquerade? Everything I can find seems to be either just straight-up recommendations without a thorough breakdown of the differences/is heavily biased, only involves one or two editions, or is Masquerade vs Requiem instead.

I don't need minutiae ("The difficulty of hitting with a switchblade was increased by 1 in Revised"), but I'm more interested in mechanical changes than setting/metaplot changes if I have to pick one.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

I came here for some help but i found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    After ten thousand years of despair and solitude, we've finally got some Hunter open development. A possible shape of Endowments in 2e.
    THERE IS A GOD!!! *reads the proposed changes* This seems far more complicated than it needs to be.

Ok, im actually here cuz i need a bit of STing help. I've got a game later today and i've only got a basic idea of where the session is gonna go (its the first session). We will be using slightly modified GMC rules

The Players
    Russian ex-Hitman (gunbunny)
    Lucifuge bookstore worker (Castigation user)
    Nightwatch Banger (more gun)

I only got a glance at the characters so im running off of memory.

Anyway the basic plan here is that the Nightwatch player is gonna go on patrol around the neighborhood with another Nightwatch guy. They find a drug dealer who is peddling some stuff they've never seen before, now either the PC takes the stuff or the NPC will take it. In any event whoever takes the stuff will get attacked that night by Vamp Thralls. If its the NPC, he dies, if its the PCs they murder the crap out of them.

And heres my problem, im not sure where to go from there. Now i know what the stuff is, its a drug (probably heroin) mixed with a small bit of a Vampires distilled blood mixed with a bit of magic from a Witch to make it stupidly addictive. Im just not sure how to get the PCs to that place. (investigations arent really my thing)

Overarching Campaign Plot: Kill the God Machine. No, seriously, im gonna have my players kill the God Machine and end all supernatural stuff. However they will have to fight a lot of stuff to get there.

The Four Pillars
    The Shackled God: a True Fae that didn't break his contract with iron, the other True Fae banded together and locked him away, inside of several nested realities.
    The Darkness: Its the Darkness from Alan Wake, probably gonna have it be the ruler of Spirits.
    Das Uber Vampire: Need an idea for a super Vamp, not gonna use Dracula or Cain for this (cuz they have another role)
    Super Ultra MEGA Mage: Again, need something for this, cuz im drawing a blank.

Now they won't be doing this alone. Eventually they will meet a faction of Demons that want to just tear it all down, because of how horrid it is, never mind that they will cease to be themselves, as well as Dracula and Cain, who just want to stop suffering. (also Cain may want to rule Hell, not sure on that yet)
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-07-22 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

28. - Top - End - #178

For the mega-mage, check out the secret religion of the Guardians of the Veil. They believe that eventually there will be a "Hieromagus", who doesn't suffer Paradox, is destined to overthrow the Exarchs and restore the line of Atlantean Kings.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #179

M20 Book of Secrets is now available for those who didn't back the kickstarter! I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've heard many good things from those who already have it.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/214133

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so im looking at the Nightwatch and i want to make them some Endowments. I was thinking originally of giving them MacGyver styled Hunter Weapons (similar to Advanced Armory) called Street Rigs. Then, i thought of a better one. Graffiti Runes. I mean, they are based off of street gangs and gangs use Graffiti tags, so mix in a bit of Rune magic (from various mythologies) and they get some neat and creative powers.
    Heres a few i came up with:

Fire: This Rune starts stuff on fire
    Bind: It prevents movement
    Alarm: When a specific type of creature moves across this Rune the caster is immediately aware.

So, any ideas?
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-07-28 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel