Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [MLPRiM4e] Of Princesses and Ponies OOC

Player Character Race Caste Talent Element Flaw
    Igordragonian Wish Sight Unicorn Stallion Noble Astrology Magic Socially Awkward
    Thanqol Eyes Of Water Pegasus Mare Commoner Appearance Transformation Kindness Insecurity
    Forum Explorer Cloudy Dreams Unicorn Stallion Noble Time & Space Laughter Laziness
    Gmoyes Hail Typhoon Pegasus Stallion Noble Cold Weather Magic Loyalty Indecisiveness
    DigoDragon Emerald "Emmy" Stone Earth Pony Mare Commoner Leadership Honesty Gluttony
    Theoboldi Zircon Facet Unicorn Stallion Commoner Mirror Magic Laughter Flirtatious

Welcome to the OOC for Of Princesses and Ponies!

Take a seat, kick back, relax, pick speech colors/quirks, relate silly OOC stories, etc! The IC will be up hopefully tomorrow.

Spoiler: Intro
    Show

It is summertime in the year 1493 in the kingdom of Alta Crista. Every year in the last month of summer, a festival to peace and fallen heroes is held in the Empire City. Each mare and stallion of budding adulthood in the kingdom must attend celebration, to not only learn about the sacrifices made to ensure peace in the kingdom, but also to undergo a sacred ritual.

This ritual, called the 'Blooming of the Heart', judges each mare and stallion to see if they are worthy of joining the ranks of Alta Crista's Guardians, warriors sworn to uphold peace among the people and keep them safe from wayward monsters. The increased presence of monsters in the labyrinthine cave network underneath the Empire City itself have raised many concerns for the safety of festivalgoers, but Queen Gemma herself has assuaged fears of monster attack by increasing the Guardians' numbers within the city itself.

It is the first day of the festival, and you find yourself approaching the Empire City's Castrum District, where the celebration is to be held. What will you do before the Blooming begins?

Spoiler: Character Creation
    Show

• This is a Roleplaying is Magic 4th Season game, so use the rules from the website.
    • Your characters have just become adults, so they each have 10 30 XP to spend.
    • You can be an earth pony, unicorn, or pegasus. No changelings, no batponies. Sorry!
    • Your character can be from one of three cities/towns, which are each explained in more detail below: Ponydell, Cannerly or Empire City.
      • Ponydell is about 60% earth ponies, 25% pegasi and 15% unicorns. They are hard-working folk who usually tend to the fertile Plains of Aberfry. Most ponies in Ponydell have been taught by their parents, with minor education from a local family of pegasi that insist on teaching children.
      • Cannerly is approximately 55% pegasi, 25% unicorns and 20% earth ponies. Situated in between a lake and a mountain, they are fisherponies, bakers, weathermakers, miners and devout worshipers of Lady Crista and Lady Atria. There is a school in Cannerly run by unicorns to spread the education usually only offered by Empire City's tutors and university, but it is far and away inferior to the capital's system.
      • Empire City is about 65% unicorns, 34% earth ponies and 1% pegasi. Pegasi tend to disdain the city, rather than the other way around, due to how crowded it can feel to them. Those that live there already are Guardians in service to the Kingdom. Empire City is the only place where a university education can be pursued; as such, most of the ponies in Empire City are scholars, monks, Guardians, etc.
    • You can be a peasant or a noble. If you start as a peasant, you gain the Job Proficiency edge for free. If you start as a noble, you gain the Skill Training edge for free.
    • The tone of this game will be a little darker than the show's slice of life segments. Think more of a finale or season opener than of the middle, if you will.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

EMPIRE CITY
    Spoiler
    Show

Easily the largest city in the kingdom (the others barely count), it is a large, heavily fortified and tiered city, surrounded by five walls. Each ring around the city is a district, starting from the poorer outer districts to the richer inner districts: Causual District, Medisa District, Luxus District, Castrum District, and Citadel District. The Causual and Medisa districts are inhabited by peasantry, who tend to smaller farms (such as vineyards) and businesses (such as bakeries) owned by richer nobles in the Luxus district.

The Luxus district is home to many of the lower nobles of Alta Crista, as well as being the location of Crista University and the monasteries of Lady Atria and Lady Crista. Most of the Luxus district is off-limits to the peasantry, with the exception of the monsteries, university and the central road that leads to the Castrum district and the Citadel district. Most peasants, however, don't have time to be wandering in the Luxus district anyway.

The Castrum district is where Guardians live, in quarters much better than that of any peasant, but not as furnished or grandiose as those of the nobles. It dominates the middle of the city, and the largest square in the city - Atria's Heart - is where the summertide festival is held. Anyone can visit the Castrum district, though access to certain facilities is restricted to monks, Guardians, and royalty only.

The Citadel district is simply the castle and its surrounding gardens. Though anypony can visit the castle's entry and causual hall, only those with invitations - and also Guardians - can venture anywhere else. Inside the castle, Queen Gemma holds court, though she rarely leaves the interior of the castle anymore.

Empire City was the first settlement within Alta Crista, far before it received that name from Lady Crista, and before Lady Atria arrived as well. Back then, it was known as "Altair". No one calls it Altair anymore, though its history is important enough to preserve the name.

Character notes: You can be from either the Causual, Medisa or Luxus districts. If you're from the Causual or Medisa districts, your character is a member of the peasantry; if they're from the Luxus district, they're (the daughter or son of) a lower noble.

PONYDELL
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponydell was founded by the first wave of emigrants from Empire City, who found the lush valley and plains nearby to be perfect for farming. Later, they were incorporated into the growing Kingdom of Alta Crista, and provide most of the grains that the Kingdom uses for food, drink, and other uses. The first mayor of Ponydell, a pegasus mare by the name Aberfry, gave her name to the plains nearby. Within Ponydell, the caste system of Empire City is a little looser as Aberfry's descendants prefer everypony in town to work together.

Though it has never been the site of a monster attack, parents in Ponydell like to conjure up stories about shadowy monsters from Tartarus coming up from below to take bad children down below the earth. As such, many ponies in Ponydell try their hardest to become worthy of being a Guardian, to ward off the monsters their superstitions condition them to believe in.

Character notes: There aren't any noble families in Ponydell, so everyone who comes from here would be a member of the peasantry.

CANNERLY
    Spoiler
    Show

The second of two major towns founded by settlers from Empire City, Cannerly is a towering city, far more populous than Ponydell, though its population sought to build up instead of out. Its many spires, towers and high-reaching buildings are the favorite of pegasi nobles, whose distaste for the cramped quarters of Empire City find much more freedom here. Situated in between a lake and a mountain, they provide fish, gems and metal to the ponies of Empire City.

Cannerly is separated into three districts - Lowland, Rockreach, and Skytower. Lowland is where most peasantry live and work, and is right on the water. Some nobles within Cannerly have businesses in Lowland, and frequently employ the ponies living there. Rockreach, on the other hoof, is where all mining operations are done, and is also the location of Aurora Glint's general school. Earth pony and unicorn nobles live in Rockreach, while Skytower is almost entirely populated by both low- and high-class pegasi. The few unicorns and earth ponies that live in Skytower are almost exclusively there because they are employed by pegasi nobles in their homes.

Character notes: Cannerly's adherence to the caste system is looser than Empire City's, so you can be an earth pony, unicorn, or pegasus noble or peasant.

IMPLICATIONS OF CASTE SYSTEM
    Spoiler
    Show

Empire City's caste system is the most strictly enforced, while Cannerly's is not so much. Ponydell pretty much ignores it, because it's such a small town. Peasants are not always looked down on, though they frequently feel constrained by the fate their forebears give them: Those born into the peasantry take up the mantle of their family, and as such, usually cannot hope to escape it if they desired to. Most ignore the trappings of the nobles and focus instead on their families, however, and find peace and happiness that way.

Nobles, on the other hand, are expected to find a way to contribute to their society - usually through the Monasteries or through research at the University in Empire City. Nobles in Cannerly are usually found directing business, planning architecture, or attempting to improve the more impoverished parts of Lowland and Rockreach districts. Many peasants and nobles alike hope to join the ranks of the Guardians, as they offer both castes an escape from their fate: peasants who become Guardians are elevated to the rank of noble and are no longer bound by their family's mantle, and nobles who become Guardians now know exactly how they can help their society. The population within the Guardians is made up of approximately half nobles and half peasantry.

In the grand scheme of things, Guardians operate as a caste above Nobility and below Royalty. They are frequently employed by Queen Gemma as personal guards within the Citadel district, or are sent out by their commander to oversee operations in both Ponydell and Cannerly.

EARTH-EQUIVALENT TIMELINE PLACEMENT?
    Spoiler
    Show

Alta Crista is about equal to the European middle ages, with some exceptions due to ,~*magic*~,. Buildings carved from single, giant slabs of stone by small teams of unicorns are possible, and ponies occasionally find odd devices buried in the earth that they manage to incorporate into daily life, such as a magic-operated oven that cooks food without the danger of a live fire. These relics have led many to believe that their empire is built upon the ruins of an ancient, powerful and advanced society that fell to ruin eons ago. This is, in fact, one such profession a noble can pursue.

Spoiler: Extra Lore
    Show

Does this exist in the same world as Equestria: No one in the kingdom knows about a place called Equestria. This applies to the places within Equestria, as well.

The ponies within the monasteries praise Lady Crista for raising the sun and pulling it across the sky for them, while they praise Lady Atria for giving them a peaceful and beautiful night.

There may be hints of racism in Cannerly, as some parts of the city require flight or pegasi intervention to get to, and some of the more unscrupulous individuals have taken this as a sign of superiority. Otherwise, it's mostly along classist lines.

The religion venerates Lady Crista and Lady Atria, two goddesses who are said to move sun and moon for them. No one has ever seen either, however, except the first queen, who claimed to have received visions from Lady Crista.

The Queen is rarely seen outside the castle, but in general, seems to be a very fair queen. She upholds the caste system as her original ancestor established, granted to her in a vision from Lady Crista.

Guardians themselves rarely have foals while they hold their rank, and the foal of a guardian is not guaranteed to be selected to be a guardian, so family lines are nowhere near guaranteed in their numbers. It isn't uncommon for those honorably released from their duties to have foals, but when they are released, they're no longer considered Guardians and thus return to their previous caste.

The primary races are Pegasus, Unicorn, and Earth Pony. There are few and far between references to other races, though Zebras are the most commonly noted in monastic works. Individuals who have ventured into the wilderness between the cities may have even seen a Zebra, or spoken to one.

Guardians usually don't have time to marry, but it's not entirely unheard of. In times of long-standing peace, it's entirely possible.

The current Queen is an Earth Pony.

Interracial marriages are totally okay. Inter-caste are usually a little harder to swing, because nobles and peasants usually don't intermingle too much. However, if two ponies of different castes get married, each are considered the caste of the higher one (with the exception of the Guardian caste, whose mate would be considered a noble).

The Guardianship ritual judges individuals, not bloodlines.

As for oaths, Monks swear loyalty to the Church, and generally try to uphold the ideals represented by the Elements of Harmony in the MLP show. They tend to place the words of Lady Crista and Lady Atria above even that of the Queen's, but the current Queen is amicable enough to their pursuits that they are happy to work with her.

The few holy texts that the monks have are all locked away in the monastery in Empire City as divine relics. Copies aren't allowed to be made, so most monks memorize small passages (such as, "Thou shalt not harm the pure" and "Simplicity over wisdom; faith over knowledge; trust in the Ladies Crista and Atria") while they can. Books in general are scarce, except among the nobles, and even then, most of them are written by monks themselves.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2016-12-29 at 06:44 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MLPRiM4e] Of Princesses and Ponies OOC

Woohoo! Can't wait for the game to begin! Zircon will be speaking in cyan, of course. Let's see who'll be the first target of his advances. :3

.....Hope that didn't sound too creepy. >.>
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, um, could we not do coloured text? It actually hurts my eyes and renders posts almost illegible. Can we all just stick to plain black text on white background?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-11-10 at 03:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Woo, let's get this show on the road! Thanks for taking me. Anyways, I think I'll pick up my usual dark green unless Emerald want to run a monopoly on green. If that will be the case I'll take turquoise.

So I guess more details about this 'Blooming of the Heart' ceremony would be appreciated. The description says it's a festival, but is the actual judging a public event or something more private, only concerning the judge and the candidate? Also, can somepony decline being accepted as a Guardian?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I..I I... think I'll take dark blue, if that fine by you...

Thanqol- It helps highlight speeches from actions...
    if... that ok for me to say it...
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    I..I I... think I'll take dark blue, if that fine by you...

Thanqol- It helps highlight speeches from actions...
    if... that ok for me to say it...
    It means that I pretty much have to copy-paste posts into a word document, clear the colour, and then read them. Separating words from actions has been successfully done using quotation marks in every single book written since ancient Egypt. Coloured text is unprofessional, ugly and painful and it's insensitive towards those with eye problems.

I actually hadn't remembered that people writing in coloured text was a thing and I dislike it so much it's almost a deal breaker for this game.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-11-10 at 04:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I'm with Igor on this one. It helps seperate descriptions from speech. Also, its really helpful in seeing which character is speaking at any given point.

That said, maybe I can change my colour to something less bright?
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Igor on this one. It helps seperate descriptions from speech. Also, its really helpful in seeing which character is speaking at any given point.

That said, maybe I can change my colour to something less bright?
    Perhaps I've given the wrong impression. This isn't an argument, this is me stating a requirement that I have in order to be able to read the things that people are saying. If you want to write in coloured text it's like saying the game is going to be run in Spanish and therefore I should leave.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if it bother you so much... I could do without colors, I guess.....

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeesh, I never thought that someone would react so strongly to using different colours in text. Still, it doesn't make too much of a difference to me if we speak in colour or not and I wouldn't want something so trivial to cause someone to leave. Too bad you'll miss the white text jokes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey, um, could we not do coloured text? It actually hurts my eyes and renders posts almost illegible. Can we all just stick to plain black text on white background?
    What using those weird things called quotation marks? I'm not sure I understand.

Yeah, no problem. It's easy enough to do.

I'm reposting this here just in case I lose the other thread.

Spoiler: Cloudy Dreams
    Show
    Race: Unicorn Stallion
    Noble from Empire City

Design
    Spoiler
    Show
    Description:
    Cloudy Dreams is a light blue stallion with curly grey hair. He is kinda lanky, and certainly a bit skinny for a noble. His eyes are perpetually half-closed, and he usually has a soft grin on his face. He usually wears ratty looking, but incredibly comfy robes, that give the impression he's perceptually going around in a bath robe. His movements are slow, easy, and graceful, though his slouched posture detracts from the appeal.

Background:
    Cloudy Dreams is the middle child, forgotten but loved and cared for nonetheless. His ambitious and serious older brother took care of the family's future, while his younger sister demanded attention, and dreamed big of the wondrous sights the world has to offer her. Meanwhile Cloudy Dreams drifted, not wanting for anything, but not demanding anything either.

Til his brother sent him to University. He realized that Cloudy Dreams would eventually have to care for himself in some way, and was deeply disturbed by how aimless Cloudy Dreams was. As things turned out, the University was a great place for Cloudy Dreams, as he proved to be exceptionally intelligent, quick witted, and thoughtful. His grades remained poor due to a lack of effort, but nonetheless Cloudy Dreams looked to be a natural philosopher. Except for his natural, and bizarre talent for spatial and temporal magics. And ever since he invented the Summon Coffee spell, he's been the most in-demand lab assistant since.

Perspective:
    Cloudy Dreams is relaxed and calm. He figures the odds of him actually accomplishing anything important are slim, so he might as well just do whatever he wants. And what he wants is to enjoy himself. Despite that, he's very observant, watching other ponies body language, and in general remembering what they say and do.

He's a very 'live and let live' pony, mostly out of laziness, and not being up to the bother of confronting others to make them change their ways. And he'd much rather follow other's directions, then find his own way in life. Still he really enjoys pranking other ponies, and the more unexpected and odd the prank, the better. When he can't do that, he makes do with bad jokes and puns, so long as he's getting a rise or a laugh out of them.

However sometimes his smile seems a tad forced, and his laughter a little stale. He has developed a habit of looking over his shoulder, and seems a little eager to find something new with his life.

Directions:
    Something happened. No pony is sure what, but be it a discovery, experiment gone wrong, or even some bad family news, Cloud Dreams isn't telling. It's effects is obvious though. Cloudy Dreams is done with the University and is seeking something/anything else. Either as a distraction or a new path in life.

Element: Laughter
    Fatal Flaw: Laziness

Mind: 3
    Body: 1
    Heart: 1

Willpower: 35 (Current: 29)
    Fortitude: 15
    Valor: 1

[free]Special Purpose (Time and Space)
    [free]Skill Training (Magic Theory)
    [5 xp] Wizardy
    [10 xp] Improved Wizardy
    [5 xp] Gifted (Mind)
    [10 xp] Greater Gifted (Mind)
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2017-01-08 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm fine without the colors. I can make use of Bold, Italics, fonts, and font size instead for volume and thoughts.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm fine without the colors. I can make use of Bold, Italics, fonts, and font size instead for volume and thoughts.
    Those are fine and good!

14. - Top - End - #14

I just wish Fimfiction supported fonts. My nice and pretty fanfic on Google Docs makes use of two fonts for specific situations when characters are using smartphones, and it gets lost when translated over. shame.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. This is the first time I've seen anyone react so strongly to speech colour, but I guess I'm fine with it.

I do already use Bold for speech and Italics for thoughts, so I guess I'll keep it only to that for this game.

16. - Top - End - #16

Huh. This is the first time I've seen anyone react so strongly to speech colour, but I guess I'm fine with it.

I do already use Bold for speech and Italics for thoughts, so I guess I'll keep it only to that for this game.
    I don't have anywhere near as strong feelings about using Bold for speech, do it if you want, but I am curious as to why you would do that at all. To me it seems like a really weird and unnecessary habit. What's wrong with the quotation-mark standard used by literally all English-language writing throughout history?

I mean, I used to use a bunch of colour, font and text manipulation stuff back in the day myself, even though it made my posts illegible even to me. But I eventually came to the realization that highlighting and tagging everything almost doubled the time of my posts, looked really unprofessional and worked to stop me from learning how to make my characters sound different using text alone. Also I'd have to un-learn the entire habit if I ever wanted to write a real book because any publisher that saw that would just throw the entire thing out without looking at it further.

But like I said, this is just something I Have Opinions about rather than a hill I'm willing to die on
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-11-11 at 01:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't have anywhere near as strong feelings about using Bold for speech, do it if you want, but I am curious as to why you would do that at all. To me it seems like a really weird and unnecessary habit. What's wrong with the quotation-mark standard used by literally all English-language writing throughout history?
    Well, it's not really necessary. Having bolded and coloured speech helps with identifying who is speaking when, though, especially in the GM's case who may have multiple characters talking in the same post. We're not professional authors, so of course our writeups can get a little confusing in that regard. Further, having speech and thought stand out from the rest of the post does help with making clear when something is actually being said or is part of the characters thoughts. It's useful when someone is flying over some older conversations, and I think easier to read than just a mess of fontless letters completely in black and white, with only quotation marks to indicate where description ends and dialogue starts.

My personal experience is pretty much the polar opposite of yours, I guess.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, it's not really necessary. Having bolded and coloured speech helps with identifying who is speaking when, though, especially in the GM's case who may have multiple characters talking in the same post. We're not professional authors, so of course our writeups can get a little confusing in that regard. Further, having speech and thought stand out from the rest of the post does help with making clear when something is actually being said or is part of the characters thoughts. It's useful when someone is flying over some older conversations, and I think easier to read than just a mess of fontless letters completely in black and white, with only quotation marks to indicate where description ends and dialogue starts.

My personal experience is pretty much the polar opposite of yours, I guess.
    I dunno, when I'm running a game and have two NPCs talking it looks like this:

"Special Agents, actually," said Rigel.

"I'm a Special Agent. Rigel is a trainee," said Miller, earning himself a dirty look. "Anyway, keep this on the q-t because the General hasn't decided to release it yet, but apparently the aliens look like people."

"Still can't believe this is happening," said Rigel. "Am I having a mental breakdown? Is everyone else?"

"They like appearing as girls in particular for some reason, so Rigel's scanning any suspicious looking characters with that doohicky to see if we get a hit," said Miller. "I mean, damn, Rigel's got a point. Turns out there are aliens and they're hot chicks? Are we that lucky?"

"Did you see that lion video? 'Hot' is the last word I'd use to describe it," said Rigel.

"It was a little hot," said Miller.

"It ate Westminster," said Rigel.

"I'm not condoning its political positions, I'm just saying that I like a little danger in my relationships," said Miller. "Now get back to work, you missed one."
    Which is about what you'd see in a book and is perfectly legible besides? I dunno, if you're not confident writing character voices that seems to me like an impetus to practice writing distinct character voices rather than lean on the crutch of font games.

I guess this comes back to my basic philosophy for PBPs is that they're awesome practice for being able to write awesome stories so you can and should push your skills wherever possible!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-11-11 at 01:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have any idealism.
    Roleplay isn't writing stories, not exactly,

I think it's more convinent that way, but it's not a biggy for me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

So since there aren't any actual spells premade, as far as I can tell, I figure I should get started on making some before the game starts.

Spoiler: Spellbook
    Show

Spoiler: Summon Coffee
    Show
    Mostly a test run, but yes, I do plan on using this spell eventually.

Target: Individual (+1)
    Range: Contact (+1)
    Duration: Immediate (+1)
    Effect: Forge (+1)
    Subjects: Space, Water (+2)
    Difficulty: 6 (Simple)

You take a cup, cast the spell, and voila! Coffee. Nice and hot, full of caffeine and black as Sombra's heart. Just as nature intended.

Spoiler: Reactive Teleport
    Show

Range: Seen (+2)
    Duration: Sustained (+2)
    Effect: Animate (+1)
    Subjects: Space (+1)
    Difficulty 7 (Simple)

Dodging is hard. You've got to notice it, throw yourself out of the way, and get back up. So much effort. And it doesn't even work that well! Whatever is trying to hit you can just readjust their aim and hit you anyways. Imagine if you could reduce it to just the first step, and then simply be someplace else? Thus the reactive teleport. As long as you have this spell running, as soon as you notice you're being attacked, you are teleported somewhere else in the room, facing whatever attacked you.

Spoiler: Rewind
    Show

Target: Area(+4)
    Effect: Reveal (+1)
    Subjects: Time, Mind (+2)
    Difficulty 11 (Average)

Ever forget something? Or need to figure exactly what happened after somepony brought out the keg at a party? Rewind will tell you all you want to know and maybe a little bit more! When cast, Rewind brings your mind, back in time. Letting you experience the events that happened in your surroundings as if you were there yourself! Or were paying attention anyways. You can't interact with anything, and nothing can interact with you, but you can certainly figure out what happened. But beware, you can't perceive the present while you're doing this, so casters have often found themselves with scribbled on marker mustaches after they return to the present.

Spoiler: Gravity Pin
    Show

Target: Area (+4)
    Effect: Combine, Diminish (+2)
    Difficulty: 11 (Average)

Roommate or significant other giving you flack about being too fat? Turn the tables with the handy Gravity Pin! You make them weigh as much as everything in the house, while simultaneously making yourself (and everything else) weigh nothing at all! Gravity Pin focuses the gravity of the surrounding area onto a single point. Everything in the area is brought to zero gs and thus starts to float, while the unfortunate target gets to feel the full weight of it all.

WARNING: May cause gross physical harm to target, possible symptoms may include: bruising, falling over, broken bones, strained muscles, and in extreme cases, death. We do not advise casting on other ponies as a prank, way to show them that you aren't fat, or for any reason at all. Please consult your local Guardian before use.

Spoiler: Summon Self
    Show

Range: Unknown (+8)
    Duration: Temporary (+4)
    Subjects: Space, Time (+2)
    Difficulty 16 (Difficult)

Oh no! You've overbooked yourself and the local Mirror Pool has been blocked by a giant bolder! What are you going to do? Make a difficult decision and apologize to the ponies whose meeting you're going to miss? Not with Summon Self to the rescue! This spell scans the multiple timelines that makes up our existence, finds an alternative version of yourself, and temporarily brings them to this timeline! So thanks to this handy spell you can literally be in two places at once!

WARNING: we are not responsible for the behavior of your alternative self. Common side effects include: Evil goatees, existential crisis, and cries of "There can only be one!".

Spoiler: Time Loop
    Show
    Target: Mass (+8)
    Duration: Persistent (+8)
    Effects: Modify, Separate (+2)
    Subjects: Time (+1)
    Difficulty: 27 (Daunting)

Ever need things to go just right? To get that perfect moment, to nail that interview, make the proposal, or talk down the villain? Sadly reality rarely allows for such perfect moments to happen. Things go wrong, you fail to plan for certain things, you just don't know what to say. But luckily with this new, never tested before, spell you can fix all that! When you cast time loop, you simply create a condition that must be fulfilled, and until that happens you simply experience the same 24 hours over and over again until you succeed!

WARNING: We are not responsible for any damage to space and time that casting this spell may cause. Or for trapping the world in an eternal loop if an impossible condition is set.

Spoiler: Worst Timeline
    Show

Effects: Reveal (+1)
    Subjects: Mind, Time (+2)
    Difficulty: 13 (Average)

Feeling like you're doing badly? Or perhaps you're just too happy. Well now you can know exactly how things can be worse. This spell scans all the possible timelines and shows the target just how bad their current action can go. Lives being ruined, shunned by the ponies around you, and of course, the destruction of life as you know it. While the events you see are possible, they certainly aren't likely. So why would you use this?

Spoiler: Only One Path
    Show
    Target: Area (+4)
    Effects: Combine, Modify, Deceive (+3)
    Difficulty: 12 (Average)

Trapped in a maze? Someone running away? This spell will fix that problem right away! Operating on the principle that everything is attaching to everything else, and that space is actually a lie, this spell modifies space by making everywhere lead to the exact same destination. No matter which direction you head in, no matter how fast you move, you'll always find yourself headed to the same point.

Spoiler: Telekinetic Trip
    Show
    Effects: Animate (+1)
    Subjects: Body (+1)

You grab somepony by their leg when they are moving and forcibly stop that one leg and nothing else. That usually is enough to make somepony fall over. Not very effective against pegasi.

Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2016-12-13 at 04:10 AM.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #21

What's wrong with the quotation-mark standard used by literally all English-language writing throughout history?
    What happened to ancient Egypt?

Also I'd have to un-learn the entire habit if I ever wanted to write a real book because any publisher that saw that would just throw the entire thing out without looking at it further.
    However, we aren't writing a real book here. We're participating in a pbp role-playing game. It's a different format. It can be akin to writing a story, but the big difference is that when you write an actual book, you have a single style the book is written in. In pbp you don't have just one style (and personally I prefer that it doesn't).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22

What happened to ancient Egypt?
    I went there and I didn't like it.

However, we aren't writing a real book here. We're participating in a pbp role-playing game. It's a different format. It can be akin to writing a story, but the big difference is that when you write an actual book, you have a single style the book is written in. In pbp you don't have just one style (and personally I prefer that it doesn't).
    Mmm, I think there's a pretty big difference between style and formatting. Style is the arena where you prove yourself creatively by putting your own spin on things! Formatting is the cold hard drudgework you put in to make your formatting invisible so that your boss doesn't comment on the damn formatting.

23. - Top - End - #23

I went there and I didn't like it.
    Found out the quotation mark wasn't used until the fifteenth-century, did ya?

Mmm, I think there's a pretty big difference between style and formatting. Style is the arena where you prove yourself creatively by putting your own spin on things! Formatting is the cold hard drudgework you put in to make your formatting invisible so that your boss doesn't comment on the damn formatting.
    I think there's some overlap.

But either way, I am still disappointed in Fimfiction's lack of font support. It forces me to use purple when what I want is Courier New. :p
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #24

Found out the quotation mark wasn't used until the fifteenth-century, did ya?
    I am pretty sure whenever you see a hieroglyph of a bird that's probably a quotation mark.

25. - Top - End - #25

I am pretty sure whenever you see a hieroglyph of a bird that's probably a quotation mark.
    If you're sure. I thought it was some kind of 's' sound. Though, they have a few birds if I remember, so maybe we're thinking two different symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    So since there aren't any actual spells premade, as far as I can tell, I figure I should get started on making some before the game starts.
    Spoiler: Summon Coffee
    Show
    Mostly a test run, but yes, I do plan on using this spell eventually.

Range: Contact (+1)
    Subjects: Space, Water (+2)

You take a cup, cast the spell, and voila! Coffee. Nice and hot, full of caffeine and black as Sombra's heart. Just as nature intended.
    OMG, Emmy will be your best friend for life! :D

I'm not sure of the duration, but looking at the example spell list, they really don't give an example of "create [food]" in there. Considering coffee isn't exactly OP to make (relatively) I guess this is alright? Need the GM's thought. Still an awesome idea.

Spoiler: Rewind
    Show

Target: Area(+4)
    Effect: Reveal (+1)
    Subjects: Time, Mind (+2)
    Difficulty 11 (Average)

Ever forget something? Or need to figure exactly what happened after somepony brought out the keg at a party? Rewind will tell you all you want to know and maybe a little bit more! When cast, Rewind brings your mind, back in time. Letting you experience the events that happened in your surroundings as if you were there yourself! Or were paying attention anyways. You can't interact with anything, and nothing can interact with you, but you can certainly figure out what happened. But beware, you can't perceive the present while you're doing this, so casters have often found themselves with scribbled on marker mustaches after they return to the present.
    Hmm, I like the utility of this. Being unable to perceive the present while it's going is an interesting balance.

Hmm, Cloudy Dreams can't actually cast that spell. And that's only a difficult spell. His maximum difficulty is 15. So how does that work for the really hard spells?
    Generally really hard spells need someone (or several someones) to work in Harmony with you so the DT can be met. Fun thing about magic in this system is that it need not be another unicorn helping!

Spoiler: Time Loop
    Show
    Target: Mass (+8)
    Duration: Persistent (+8)
    Effects: Modify, Separate (+2)
    Subjects: Time (+1)
    Difficulty: 27 (Daunting)

Ever need things to go just right? To get that perfect moment, to nail that interview, make the proposal, or talk down the villain? Sadly reality rarely allows for such perfect moments to happen. Things go wrong, you fail to plan for certain things, you just don't know what to say. But luckily with this new, never tested before, spell you can fix all that! When you cast time loop, you simply create a condition that must be fulfilled, and until that happens you simply experience the same 24 hours over and over again until you succeed!

WARNING: We are not responsible for any damage to space and time that casting this spell may cause. Or for trapping the world in an eternal loop if an impossible condition is set.
    Summon Groundhogs Day.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

וthe time.loop look.actually a bit.like some of the spells I have planned for myself.

Tommorow I'll posrlt.few spells

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

There actually are quite a few premade spells, under the Canterlot Archive part of the site.

By the by, do you mind if I steal a few of those spells you made for myself? Summon Self and Reactive Teleport in particular are stuff I would totally wanna refluff with a mirror theme.

By the by, Derjuin, me and Digo have been talking about our characters possible knowing each other, since they both grew up in the same district. Would that be fine?
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2016-11-11 at 09:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

OMG, Emmy will be your best friend for life! :D

I'm not sure of the duration, but looking at the example spell list, they really don't give an example of "create [food]" in there. Considering coffee isn't exactly OP to make (relatively) I guess this is alright? Need the GM's thought. Still an awesome idea.

Hmm, I like the utility of this. Being unable to perceive the present while it's going is an interesting balance.
    Cloudy Dreams was popular among the students and researchers of the University, but not for his looks or personality.

Another part of the balance is the time experienced is 1:1. So unless you know relatively when the event took place, or are willing to spend a day or more reliving the past, it won't be all that useful.

There actually are quite a few premade spells, under the Canterlot Archive part of the site.

By the by, do you mind if I steal a few of those spells you made for myself? Summon Self and Reactive Teleport in particular are stuff I would totally wanna refluff with a mirror theme.

By the by, Derjuin, me and Digo have been talking about our characters possible knowing each other, since they both grew up in the same district. Would that be fine?
    Oh, cool!

That's fine, but could we do it in game? Cloudy Dreams would gladly share the theory behind the spells, and that would explain why we're using similar magic.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Cloudy Dreams was popular among the students and researchers of the University, but not for his looks or personality.
    "I say they're missing out."

.....I'm gonna go on record and state that in-character remarks like this one are not nearly as funny without coloured text. :P
    That's fine, but could we do it in game? Cloudy Dreams would gladly share the theory behind the spells, and that would explain why we're using similar magic.
    Hrm. Well, Zircon creating a double of himself is something I'd like him to come up with on his own, especially since his version of the spell would not involve any time-space shenanigans. That said, since these spells are pretty high-level and we won't be able to cast them just yet, maybe him and Cloudy could collaborate on their magic until they both make the discovery together?

As for the other spell, yeah, he could totally learn a spell like that from Cloudy. Even if I think something like this is in the Canterlot Archive already. Would ahve to look it up. And maybe Cloudy can pick up some spells from Zircon.

Though I still need to figure out what spells I want to use my first two artifice items on. Gonna have to think on that a little, and maybe brush through the Archive.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hrm. Well, Zircon creating a double of himself is something I'd like him to come up with on his own, especially since his version of the spell would not involve any time-space shenanigans. That said, since these spells are pretty high-level and we won't be able to cast them just yet, maybe him and Cloudy could collaborate on their magic until they both make the discovery together?

As for the other spell, yeah, he could totally learn a spell like that from Cloudy. Even if I think something like this is in the Canterlot Archive already. Would ahve to look it up. And maybe Cloudy can pick up some spells from Zircon.

Though I still need to figure out what spells I want to use my first two artifice items on. Gonna have to think on that a little, and maybe brush through the Archive.
    Well what is he doing exactly? Animating a reflection, I assume?

Though I do really like the idea that Cloudy Dreams has created a bunch of spells that he can't cast at all.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show