New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend me some rpg games....

How about Deadlands? It's a pulpy weird west type setting where the civil war ended because zombies overran the battle of Gettysburg, half of California sank into the sea, and people are inventing all kinds of mad science using super-coal that may or may not be filled with the spirits of the damned. Mechanically it uses Savage Worlds, which is a fairly straightforward and chaotic good time. If you wind up liking it, there are a bunch of different settings that use it.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

There is TDE ; classic fantasy setting, but lower power, more grounded and skill based. But otherwise similar as in neither grimdark nor aiming for sword&sorcery. It is also way less about combat.

There is Ars Magica : Spellcrafting im mediaval Europe.

There is Vampire : Dark Age. Typical WoD Vampire but in medieval Europe and with way less Punk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Modipheus Conan: Sword and Sorcery with focus on the sword. System involves a give and take with the GM in resources that makes actions easier at the cost of giving your gm "Doom" which they can use to drop in more enemies on a scene or take special actions. Progression is purely on the character and focuses on building up THEM instead of their equipment and gear. Great for a survival game.

This is going to sound weird, but White Wolf Street Fighter the RPG functions really well for any martial arts tournament game in any setting.

Righteous Blood and Ruthless Blades is a great system for Wuxia combat. Exalted has a similar feel but on a grander supernatural scale.

If you want something Brutal then Runequest Gloranthia is great. Bronze age stuff with a hugely diverse world and culture about it. I recommend the starter adventure of Yozarian's Bandit Ducks.

If you're playing an investigative game it's hard to recommend a better system than Call of Cthulhu. Regardless of using mythos stuff you can use pretty much any horror element you want.

If you want to try some campy horror you should try It came from the Late, Late, Late Show. An RPG where you play both actors and characters in a campy late night B movie. think "Attack of the Scuba Ninja Zombies on Bikini Beach" type of thing. One of the gimmicks is that if you don't like the way a scene turned out you can storm off the set and demand a rewrite with a successful fame roll.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Aha! Another opportunity to beat my drum for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2e)! Character creation is very quick and a lot of fun; it is possible (and encouraged) to build your character using mostly dice rolls, so you end up with some very idiosyncratic PCs. Resolution uses a very simple roll-under percentile system: you have eight ability scores (Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Agility, Intelligence, Willpower, Fellowship) ranging from 1-100 (in the early game, usually ranging from 20-50). If you are trained in a skill, you need to roll under that characteristic with percentile dice. If not trained, you need to roll under half. There are also advanced skills that you can't attempt at all without training. Talents might increase success chances on certain skills.

It's a fantasy RPG where you're not great heroes, at least not until the highest level of progression. Most careers are things like Charcoal Burner or Bone Picker or Watchman - normal people. Many characters will not be specialized for combat. Each career is a package of skills, talents (similar to 3e feats) and special equipment. Once you've spent XP to purchase all the advances in a career, you can move on to an advanced career that branches from your starting career, or switch to another Basic career. For example, a Soldier who gets all the Soldier advances can move into advanced careers like Veteran or Sergeant, but if they want to add some more subtle skills they could instead move into the basic Thief career, or if they want some more academic knowledge they could become a Scribe or Student. It's got a lot of ways to develop your character wherever you start from.

Combat works similar to a lot of RPGs, with rolled initiative and discrete turns in order. Each player can take either a single Full Action (like a Run, Charge, or multi-attack with some characters) or two Half Actions (like a single move, a feint, or a standard attack). The actions available give a lot of tactical options. Characters can typically attempt to Dodge or Parry one enemy hit per round. Combat-oriented talents may give new options, like Stunning or Disarming, or they may reduce the action requirements of existing actions, like Quick Draw or Rapid Reload. Most attacks deal 1d10 damage, modified up by the attacker's Strength and down by the defender's Toughness; starting characters have between 8-15 Wounds (HP). Whenever an attack takes you below 0 HP, you suffer a critical effect, which depending on the severity of the hit can be a brief debuff, a lingering injury, a permanent dismemberment, or death.

To offset this very deadly combat system, PCs have a few advantages: the first is Ulric's Fury, an exploding damage dice mechanic that is deeply satisfying when it goes off. The second is Fate Points, of which every PC starts with 1-3. Fate Points can be burned to avoid dying, and also determine your daily allowance of Fortune Points, which can be spent on re-rolls, bonus actions, and free Dodges and Parries.

Magic, at least in the hands of PCs, is rare; only a very few careers get access to it. Spells can be cast as many times as you want, with nothing like mana or spell slots. Instead, you roll a number of dice equal to your Magic characteristic to try to hit the casting number, with dangerous miscast events if you roll doubles or triples.

The setting, of course, is Warhammer Fantasy: grimdark low fantasy with a lot of historical grounding and a winking sense of black humour. If the GM follows the suggestions in the book, your characters will often find themselves broke, injured, diseased, insane, or just plain dead, and if you approach that with a sense of humour yourself, you'll have a great time.

N.B.: A lot of what I say above applies to Second Edition mainly but not exclusively. 1e has a similar feel but is very janky and overly convoluted in its rules. 3e is almost an unrelated game, with custom dice and action cards and all that. 4e is probably the most similar, but from what I've seen sacrifices some of the personality and charm in favor of rules balance and convenience.
    Last edited by Catullus64; 2024-01-22 at 10:24 AM.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll add Werewolf:Wild West, a WoD standalone that is exactly what the title says it is, i. e. Werewolves in 19th century America.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'll toss in FATE — genreless narrative game that's very versatile and generally excels at cinematic one-shots and short campaigns within a bespoke or "soft IP" world.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Seventh Sea! It's swashbuckling adventure set in a fantasy version of roughly 17th century Europe, with a particular focus on the piratical. Second edition is a bit weird rules wise (it's based around rolling a dice pool and making sets which total ten or more) and leans quite strong into PCs succeeding but is solid. Although if you intend to be a swashbuckling hero it's probably best to learn to actually use your sword, and training from a proper school costs as much as full proficiency in your nation's sorcery.

On that note, the way the game deals with nationality might be a deal breaker, as it not only determines what kind of sorcery you can potentially have but gives a stat bonus (+1 to one of two). Sorcery is also completely separated and based on nationality, if you want teleporting powers you go Montaigne and buy ranks in Porte and your powers resolve around portals. This mostly serves to create strong archetyping (1e apparently also charged more for foreign swordsmanship schools), but I don't think anything would break if restrictions are loosened slightly.

On the other hand, pirates!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Recommend me some rpg games other than pathfinder and dnd to try.

I like the fantasy and history genres. I like Western as well, and pirates. Mystery is fine as well.

I don't really like science fiction.

Recommend me some rpg games and tell me what genres do they fall into. Thanks.
    So, Kenzerco has "Aces and Eights", a Western RPG, which has a similar (but not identical) system to their Hackmaster fantasy game. Hackmaster Basic is free!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Free League has:
    Mutant Year Zero (post apocalyptic sandbox, with linear adventure splats if that's your preference)
    Forbiddan Lands (fantasy sandbox, with linear adventure splats if that's your preference)
    Dragonbane (effectively a d20 version of forbidden lands)

Evil Hat has:
    Blades in the Dark (PbtA crime/heist)
    Monster of the week (PbtA scooby doo/buffy mystery solving)

Older but looks like fun:
    Godbound (basically very simple d20 Exalted, for people that don't like how ridiculously complex White Wolf storyteller systems are)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I really like Worlds Without Numbers. It is supposed to be an OSR sandbox game, but I find that it ha just enough crunch to be really interesting. And the DM tables are a marvel.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Godbound (basically very simple d20 Exalted, for people that don't like how ridiculously complex White Wolf storyteller systems are)
    Hell, I like the third edition of Exalted and I wouldn't use it at a normal table. I love the setting and the system has a lot of cool and original mechanics, but GOD is it rough to play.

(I skipped past Godbound and wrote my own version, though, because I have Deep Seated Psychological IssuesTM)
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hell, I like the third edition of Exalted and I wouldn't use it at a normal table. I love the setting and the system has a lot of cool and original mechanics, but GOD is it rough to play.
    I've been considering picking up Essence, because damn that's a cool setting but the rules are murder. Although I'm also personally a big fan of OPP in general, so I'm really hoping it's more like Scion 2e.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've been considering picking up Essence, because damn that's a cool setting but the rules are murder. Although I'm also personally a big fan of OPP in general, so I'm really hoping it's more like Scion 2e.
    Can I recommend my homebrew d20 version I just alluded to ? I basically rebuilt the entire game inside Mutants and Masterminds and set about making it as easy to play as possible. Attack bonuses and toughness and suchlike automatically scale to your level, so there's no math to do, and there aren't really Charm trees anymore--you're just picking pre-made powers from a big list of entries like this:

The best part is that even though the player-facing side isn't very recognizable as M&M anymore, the math is exactly the same--for the GM, it's an identical task.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2024-01-28 at 10:03 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Its great fun reading Exalted 2e, and they have some fantastic ideas I wish other RPGs would take inspiration from (like social "combat" and intimacies). But it's hard to believe anyone has ever played more than a session or two without giving up.

(I skipped past Godbound and wrote my own version, though, because I have Deep Seated Psychological IssuesTM)
    lol issues noted

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Unknown Armies, specifically 2e:

Urban fantasy but the conspiracy theorists had it right. Rather than cosmic horrors threatening the world, the horror here comes from human action. Magic exists, but to practice it you have to be a bit mad and in the end its not always as effective as a sane, well adjusted person just using modern technology effectively. Power has a cost, and pursuing it might well have you end up on the streets holding up signs saying the end is Also has the probably the best designed sanity system out there.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Blades in the Dark (PbtA crime/heist)
    Technically, Forged in the Dark? Good game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    I really like Worlds Without Numbers. It is supposed to be an OSR sandbox game, but I find that it ha just enough crunch to be really interesting. And the DM tables are a marvel.
    If only someone would run that game near to where I live.

Game I suggest:

Mothership.
    Futuristic Sci Fi horror.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Seventh Sea! It's swashbuckling adventure set in a fantasy version of roughly 17th century Europe, with a particular focus on the piratical. Second edition is a bit weird rules wise (it's based around rolling a dice pool and making sets which total ten or more) and leans quite strong into PCs succeeding but is solid. Although if you intend to be a swashbuckling hero it's probably best to learn to actually use your sword, and training from a proper school costs as much as full proficiency in your nation's sorcery.

On that note, the way the game deals with nationality might be a deal breaker, as it not only determines what kind of sorcery you can potentially have but gives a stat bonus (+1 to one of two). Sorcery is also completely separated and based on nationality, if you want teleporting powers you go Montaigne and buy ranks in Porte and your powers resolve around portals. This mostly serves to create strong archetyping (1e apparently also charged more for foreign swordsmanship schools), but I don't think anything would break if restrictions are loosened slightly.

On the other hand, pirates!
    I will always stan for 7th Sea as well (though, I prefer 1st edition) -- it's "Princess Bride: the Game"!

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Traveller. Average Joes wandering the stars, you know, like Firefly: fly your ship from planet to planet, meet people, get into adventures. Probably my very favorite RPG. The current edition is just fine for all your "science fiction adventure in the far future" needs.

Paranoia. Great for one shots. Not so much for lengthy campaigns. The 2nd edition was probably the funniest RPG ever written - it's entertaining just to read. The XP edition is pretty good too, and is what I've used most. I'm not very familiar with the current edition simply because I couldn't imagine how they could improve on perfection.

The One Ring. A great way to adventure in the actual Middle-Earth, with quite good mechanics. By setting the game between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings it does a good job of avoiding what I call "second fiddle syndrome" - playing nobodies while the book's original characters go and do all of the important stuff. And none of the players are spellcasters, so it's a nice change of pace from D&D. Either edition is good.

Legend of the Five Rings - colorful psuedo-Japanese fantasy gaming. Samurai and Ninja and weird freaky monsters from Asian mythology. Exploring and interacting with the setting and how it is different from your typical D&D setting is the whole point here. The 4th edition is my favorite version, though I really liked the original back in the day.

19. - Top - End - #19

Space 1889. Steampunk done right and very accurate to history if you strip away the Verne and Wells. The most fun and enjoyable setting for a campaign I've ever played. The original rules were very clunky, but the new edition is more streamlined. Possibly has the best sourcebooks I've ever read.

Traveller. Best hard sci-fi system. Nothing else comes close.

Cyberpunk/Shadowrun. Very cool settings with lots of atmosphere. I haven't played the recent editions but you played the old editions despite the rules because of the setting.

Barbarians of Lemuria. Rules light Conan style adventures. My number one introductory RPG as well a fun and relaxed environment for grognards.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    I will always stan for 7th Sea as well (though, I prefer 1st edition) -- it's "Princess Bride: the Game"!
    It's swashbuckling heroes (actual swashbuckling if you take the right school), which is a genre that fits RPGs so perfectly I'm shocked D&D hasn't fully turned itself into it. I'm too young to have actually played 1e, but I understand it had the opposite issues of 2e (characters began barely competent outside of their specialty, whereas in 2e it's kind of hard to be bad at anything).

I also like All for One: Regime Diabolique for being a more dark fantasy take on the genre, where you're musketeers acting as monster hunters. But that's much less everybody's cup of tea than playing Dread Pirate Roberts is, I'm honestly surprised 7th Sea isn't more popular.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

It's swashbuckling heroes (actual swashbuckling if you take the right school), which is a genre that fits RPGs so perfectly I'm shocked D&D hasn't fully turned itself into it. I'm too young to have actually played 1e, but I understand it had the opposite issues of 2e (characters began barely competent outside of their specialty, whereas in 2e it's kind of hard to be bad at anything).

See, that's one of the reasons why I prefer 1st ed over 2nd -- you start off on the Hero's Journey and you learn as you go. 2e, I don't like it for the reason you just gave. Plus, if you have a more dominant person at the table, everyone uses their actions to support them (imo). Also, I didn't like some of the changes 2e made to Theah (though I did appreciate them adding a badass Poland equivalent). I couldn't adapt my favorite PCs to 2e and still enjoy them.

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

The main problem with 7th Sea, at least when I first played it during 1st Edition, is that it was a pirate game with no New World in it.

How can you have Pirates of the Caribbean with no Caribbean?

Still a pretty good game though.

One of the NPCs in one of the 1E nation books is actually based on me. The writer is a friend.

EDIT:
    I like Shadowrun (though I stopped following it after 3rd Edition. What are they on now, 6th?) and Space: 1889 too, though come to think of it, I've never actually played Space: 1889.
    Last edited by Jason; 2024-02-28 at 01:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The main problem with 7th Sea, at least when I first played it during 1st Edition, is that it was a pirate game with no New World in it.

One of the NPCs in one of the 1E nation books is actually based on me. The writer is a friend.
    Coolness!

Me & the hubby are mentioned in the Thanks from "Rapier's Edge" as one of the writers is a friend/GM of ours.

There's a lot of "What Ifs" in 1e in terms of fleshing out Terra (to say nothing of management changes in AEG).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    See, that's one of the reasons why I prefer 1st ed over 2nd -- you start off on the Hero's Journey and you learn as you go. 2e, I don't like it for the reason you just gave. Plus, if you have a more dominant person at the table, everyone uses their actions to support them (imo). Also, I didn't like some of the changes 2e made to Theah (though I did appreciate them adding a badass Poland equivalent). I couldn't adapt my favorite PCs to 2e and still enjoy them.
    You see I liked the zero to hero stuff until I played games with flatter power curves, where our characters began reasonably competent and ended as slightly more competent. I don't want to be a master swordsman who's never left the academy, I want to be an accomplished soldier who is good at fighting but also decent at a bunch of stuff (navigating on land, setting up camp, haggling for supplies, foraging, probably sailing if we're on a ship). I much prefer 2e erring on the side of genetically competent, it can go too far but at least you don't have to pick between hyper focused and uselessly broad

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

2e vastly expands the world, whereas the corebook is still just Theah there's sourcebooks fleshing out counterparts to Africa, the Americas, and Asia (with East Asia apparently being a different game with different themes?). There's even a version of the East India Company.

It's not for everyone, but at least the world is broader.

EDIT:
    I like Shadowrun (though I stopped following it after 3rd Edition. What are they on now, 6th?) and Space: 1889 too, though come to think of it, I've never actually played Space: 1889.
    Shadowrun is on 6e now, which is somewhat divisive. I like it, the bloat in the skill list has been cut and a lot of situational bonuses have become 'give a point of Edge*', but those are also some of the reasons others dislike it.

(I was however admittedly quite lucky, only picking up the corebook after it was fixed. I hear the first two printings had some major issues.)

* basically Fate Points.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

In related 7th Sea news, the 12 year Living Campaign I've been playing in at Origins has its final episodes this year!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Technically, Forged in the Dark? Good game.
    Forged in the Dark is effectively a Powered by the Apocalypse variation.

But you are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.