New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

Do you have any antique dice?

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silversnowe View Post
    Do you have any antique dice?
    Yes ... the question of how many ... depends on your definition of Antique ... 50 or 100 years old

3. - Top - End - #453

Default September 2010 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the D120 by Shapeways Artist SirisC (above) for highlights of dice added in September 2010

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

That die looks like a pain to read. Is it easier then it looks?

5. - Top - End - #455

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    That die looks like a pain to read. Is it easier then it looks?
    Yes ... it is easy to read

Here is My D120 made several years ago .. it significantly larger than the Shapeways one

6. - Top - End - #456
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey, Mr. Cook, have you ever made a die?
    Quotable Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.”
    -Crowley

Avvie by Akrim.elf

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by LordOMud View Post
    Hey, Mr. Cook, have you ever made a die?

Yes ... many .. CLICK HERE

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Kevin, do you know if Chessex ever made speckled six-sided d3s? Their website lists opaque ones, but I think the one I have might be a manufacturing error - It's neither polished or painted, and it came out of one of the Pound O' Dice bags the FLGS got in a little while back. It's orange/white speckled, 16mm, rounded corners, with numbers, and has 1-3 twice with the same numbers opposite each other and turned 90 degrees to the other side.

I actually only noticed that it's a d3 today when I was moving dice around and it suddenly occurred to me that a round-corner Chessex d6 should normally have pips instead of numbers, and that's when I noticed inspecting it again that it's a d3. I'd previously just been happy to have come across a non-tumbled one so I'd never really given it closer thought than 'oh cool a raw one'. I'd take a picture but this thing is nearly impossible to read and wouldn't photograph well.

It's kind of puzzling me.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

9. - Top - End - #459

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    Hey Kevin, do you know if Chessex ever made speckled six-sided d3s? ...
    To my knowledge they never produced such a die ... this sounds like a manufacturing mistake
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2010-12-03 at 11:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Would certainly explain why it got pulled for the seconds pile so early, before it got finished at all. The numbering(and number pattern) looks like the opaque six-sided d3s I've found pictures of, which do use rounded corners, so I guess they just wound up using the wrong plastic mix to mold it, or the wrong mold.

Not that I'm complaining. I have a fondness for error things, so 'raw six-sided d3 accidentally made in the wrong colour' wins a couple of awesome points. XD;

The real question is, when I get around to re-building my spreadsheet for counting how many I have of each type, whether to count it as a d6 or a d3. :P
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-10-16 at 08:42 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    ...The real question is, when I get around to re-building my spreadsheet for counting how many I have of each type, whether to count it as a d6 or a d3. :P
    In my database ... I count the number of sides ... but note the indicia (faces) under description ... for example ... GameSciences D4 and D8 which are really 8 and 10 sided dice ... just numbered twice for each indica
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2010-12-03 at 11:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462

Default October 2010 Highlights

Yea .. I know I am late .. this is the October update .. and we are now in December ... November SHOULD be right behind this one

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the Windows D6 by Shapeways Artist Friz (above) for highlights of dice added in October 2010

BTW .. if anyone can show me proof of the name of the shape of this die ... I will send you a special die

The designer calls it a ISOHEDRAL TRAPEZOIDAL HEXAHEDRON ... and YES .. this is a fair die
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2010-12-03 at 11:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: October 2010 Highlights

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Cook View Post
    BTW .. if anyone can show me proof of the name of the shape of this die ... I will send you a special die

The designer calls it a ISOHEDRAL TRAPEZOIDAL HEXAHEDRON ... and YES .. this is a fair die
    What's wrong with this name?

"Isohedral" means that every face has the same shape (for example, this is not isohedral); "Trapezoidal" indicates that each face has the shape of a trapezoid (namely a figure with four sides and one pair of parallel sides); "Hexahedron" simply means that it is a polyhedron with six faces.
    More than a name it simply is a description of the dice itself.

By this description we could call the d4 as an Isohedral Triangular Tetrahedron.

EDIT: very interesting die, by the way. Creative, too: I just noticed on your site that the number of holes in the "window" that make up every face of the die, is the outcome of the die... Very creative.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2010-12-03 at 12:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    What's wrong with this name?
    There is really nothing wrong with the name .. I am just trying to find the actual name of the shape ... as I cannot seem to find any reference to this shape

15. - Top - End - #465

Default November 2010 Highlights

Click on the "Chained D6" by Shapeways Artist Stop4Stuff (above) for highlights of dice added in November 2010
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2010-12-03 at 12:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

There is really nothing wrong with the name .. I am just trying to find the actual name of the shape ... as I cannot seem to find any reference to this shape
    So... by "actual name" you mean like "cube" or "pyramid" instead of "regular hexahedron" or "regular tetrahedron"
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #467

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    So... by "actual name" you mean like "cube" or "pyramid" instead of "regular hexahedron" or "regular tetrahedron"
    Sort of

As I recall .. from back in the dim misties ... back when I received my math minor ... each shape has a proper mathematical name ... for instance

1 Frequency Snub Cuboctahedral Geodesic Sphere

or

Rhombitruncated Icosidodecahedron

The reason I am asking is ... I always try to give the accurate shape name when I post it to the SHAPES PAGE
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2010-12-03 at 01:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kevin, thanks for this thread, it's been a really fascinating read.

Do you have any fractional dice? I have a green d10 numbered {1/10,2/10,3/10,...,10/10} but no knowledge of its origin. Also, if you don't have one I'd be happy to send it your way.

Also, in regards to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Are there any RPG systems that focus on d12s or d24s?
    Hoplite, I know of one d12-based system, Pokethulhu.

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by ajkkjjk52 View Post
    Kevin, thanks for this thread, it's been a really fascinating read.

Do you have any fractional dice? I have a green d10 numbered {1/10,2/10,3/10,...,10/10} but no knowledge of its origin. Also, if you don't have one I'd be happy to send it your way.
    [color=blue]I believe I do ... I think they are by KOPLOW [/url]

20. - Top - End - #470

Default December 2010 Highlights

Usually it is a struggle to choose a 'die of the month' ... this month .. it was easy ...

Click on the "Frameless d4" by Shapeways Artist Mctrivia (above) for highlights of dice added in December 2010
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2011-01-02 at 06:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Orc in the Playground

Do you have a listing of dice that are normal in every respect but have a single number replaced with an image? I know I've seen some on your site in various places. I love looking through your pictures but I'm stuck at home right now with a 56k connection. Loading up that many images at once is painful.

I suppose my real questions would be "Do you have any of these?" and "If so, can you tell me anything about them (series, etc)?" I could find nothing after a cursory Google search.

I received these in my first Chessex Pound-O-Dice last year. This is a lower resolution but higher quality shot than what was up previously. Redneck engineering FTW! Canvas dice bag + flashlight + cell camera works just fine. It's a vertical sword overlaid on a sun symbol.

I received these in my next Pound-O-Dice today. I believe they're felines of some form but I can also see these being Transformers or something like that. Disregard the other dice, I was recording my purchase for posterity.

Both are thumbnails. Click for a bigger picture.
    Last edited by Kaulesh; 2011-01-08 at 09:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Speaking of a die with one number replaced by a symbol, is there a name for this style of die?

As an example, I had these made a couple of years ago for a gaming convention (the other die sides have regular numbers on them):

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Kerrin; 2011-01-08 at 02:21 PM.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulesh View Post
    Do you have a listing of dice that are normal in every respect but have a single number replaced with an image? I know I've seen some on your site in various places. I love looking through your pictures but I'm stuck at home right now with a 56k connection. Loading up that many images at once is painful.

I suppose my real questions would be "Do you have any of these?" and "If so, can you tell me anything about them (series, etc)?" I could find nothing after a cursory Google search.

I received these in my first Chessex Pound-O-Dice last year. This is a lower resolution but higher quality shot than what was up previously. Redneck engineering FTW! Canvas dice bag + flashlight + cell camera works just fine. It's a vertical sword overlaid on a sun symbol.

I received these in my next Pound-O-Dice today. I believe they're felines of some form but I can also see these being Transformers or something like that. Disregard the other dice, I was recording my purchase for posterity.

Both are thumbnails. Click for a bigger picture.

I believe that the dice that you are asking about are

Mechwarrior Faction dice by WizKids

As to having a theme for dice with a single side replaced with a symbol ... that would be titanic in size ... as I would guess that I have 20000 or so dice like this

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin View Post
    Speaking of a die with one number replaced by a symbol, is there a name for this style of die?

As an example, I had these made a couple of years ago for a gaming convention (the other die sides have regular numbers on them):
    I have never heard of a name for that type of die

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

I believe that the dice that you are asking about are

Mechwarrior Faction dice by WizKids

As to having a theme for dice with a single side replaced with a symbol ... that would be titanic in size ... as I would guess that I have 20000 or so dice like this
    You're awesome. Those are the exact dice I have.

Dang, I was hoping I had something I could donate.

25. - Top - End - #475

Default January 2011 Highglights

I need YOUR HELP identifying some dice this month ... please see the first section of the hightlights

Click on the "Powers of 2 die" by Shapeways Artist Mctrivia (above) for highlights of dice added in January 2011

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So my question is thus: How many dice have you added in the 3.5 years since you first posted this thread?

Feels weird to type 3.5 and not mean an edition
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2011-02-05 at 07:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    So my question is thus: How many dice have you added in the 3.5 years since you first posted this thread?

Feels weird to type 3.5 and not mean an edition
    I first posted on July 13 2007 ... on that day .. I had 20361 .... Currently I have about (I have not cataloged the dice received this week) 32933 ... so a bit more than 12572

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Interesting. You started collecting in 1977 and yet in the last 3ish years you got a 50% increase to your collection. Is it because there are a lot more dice types, or you can just afford more?

Have you considered using glue on them to make a super die, and then using that to beat an elephant to death with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

29. - Top - End - #479

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Interesting. You started collecting in 1977 and yet in the last 3ish years you got a 50% increase to your collection. Is it because there are a lot more dice types, or you can just afford more?
    Probably both

Have you considered using glue on them to make a super die, and then using that to beat an elephant to death with it?
    LOL ... no .. I have not

30. - Top - End - #480
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just got a book about dice games for Valentine, yay.

Some professor invented 21 games with a D4, D10, D12, D20 and combinations thereof. There's also some info on the origin (bones?) and mythology of dice and several websites are mentioned
    Spoiler
    Show

He has over 6000 dice (an amateur compared to you but more than I have ) and some antiques are shown (with naked ladies no less)

Do you know of any other people who wrote games for dice other dan a D6 ?
    Last edited by rakkoon; 2011-02-14 at 04:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!