New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

what's the largest number of sides you have on a dice?

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hoaiphong123 View Post
    what's the largest number of sides you have on a dice?
    it depends on what you classify a die ... and how you define it ... if you include spinners (multi level) ... then 1000 ... if not ... then 144

http://www.dicecollector.com/DICEINF...DICE_HAVE.html

3. - Top - End - #963
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. You think Kevin is a good person to ask this? You have seen his collection, right?
    Well, if he thwarts the competition before I gain traction, he better secures his position as the record-holder.

I've been wondering if there is a material that might seem like an obvious choice to make into dice that hasn't been used yet. I've seen some exotic minerals, probably every kind of metal and alloy combination, numerous hardwoods, fossilized bone, etc. I dunno what I would even suggest to try. Maybe fiberglass reinforced concrete? Kevlar? Pressed birch bark? Dwarvenite (coincidentally, Diehard Dice and Dwarven Forge are teasing some collaboration to be revealed at Gen-Con...)?

4. - Top - End - #964

LOL... characters added to make it long enough to post :)

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Well, if he thwarts the competition before I gain traction, he better secures his position as the record-holder.

I've been wondering if there is a material that might seem like an obvious choice to make into dice that hasn't been used yet. I've seen some exotic minerals, probably every kind of metal and alloy combination, numerous hardwoods, fossilized bone, etc. I dunno what I would even suggest to try. Maybe fiberglass reinforced concrete? Kevlar? Pressed birch bark? Dwarvenite (coincidentally, Diehard Dice and Dwarven Forge are teasing some collaboration to be revealed at Gen-Con...)?
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-08-05 at 03:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #965

Default July 2019 hightlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the "Pierced" d20 above above to see highlights of dice added in JULY 2019

6. - Top - End - #966

Ballpark estimate, how much does a 90,000+ count dice collection weigh?

7. - Top - End - #967

Hmmm ...

I would guess that each 19 quart container weighs about 30 pounds

Each rack contains 18 containers ... so about 580 per rack

4 Racks is 2160 pounds

there are 6 containers not in racks ... so 180 more ... so 2340

There are two ... 45 gallon rolling totes ... one is full of foam dice ... and the other is full of several stone dice ... so lets call them 100 more pounds ... so 2440 pounds

EDIT: CORRECTION ... there are 18 ...not 15 per rack

http://dicecollector.com/images/larg...90358b10b7.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-08-06 at 10:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #968

Flumph

I remember seeing a gamer who had older d20s with 0-9 engraved twice; once in black, and once in white. White signified 10+ the value. I thought they were fun to use; do you know if anyone still makes these?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's your favorite material to see dice made from? Are you a fan of the traditional acrylic/resin dice? Metal? Wood? Weirder materials like the Meteorite die you mentioned early in the thread, or Horn/Bone?

About how many sets of dice do you buy in an average month?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

10. - Top - End - #970

Quote Originally Posted by Atranen View Post
    I remember seeing a gamer who had older d20s with 0-9 engraved twice; once in black, and once in white. White signified 10+ the value. I thought they were fun to use; do you know if anyone still makes these?
    Several manufacturers make them ... including those in China ... I believe that Gamescience still makes them ... or sells them ... as well
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-09-02 at 05:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    What's your favorite material to see dice made from? Are you a fan of the traditional acrylic/resin dice? Metal? Wood? Weirder materials like the Meteorite die you mentioned early in the thread, or Horn/Bone?
    I truly dont have a favorite material ... rare materials are often boring dice ... where as common materials can often make the most interesting dice

Of Late ... I am fond of the TruStone dice by Norse Foundry .. they are a stone / resin mix

About how many sets of dice do you buy in an average month?
    Well ... given that I dont ever count sets ... I really cant say ... but I do have stats on individual dice :)

12. - Top - End - #972

Default August 2019 highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the Ultra Pro Decader/D00 above to see highlights of dice added in AUGUST 2019

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-09-02 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #973

Default September 2019 highlights

Click on the the Chengshuo d20 above to see highlights of dice added in SEPTEMBER 2019

14. - Top - End - #974

Those enamel blends are really cool.

I've been looking for domestically produced metal dice, but what I keep finding instead are sellers with offerings that look a lot exactly like those from Chengshuo. Other than some bespoke or on-demand makers, it looks like almost all of the metal dice are made in China. That's no complaint, as the sets I have in hand are great, but it's surprising to me that so few are made anywhere else and seemingly none are made in the United States. Did I overlook any manufacturers closer to home?

15. - Top - End - #975

RE: Domestic

There are virtually no US based dice manufacturers other than Gamescience ... and hand made
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-10-11 at 10:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #976

Default October 2019 highlights

Click on the the Legendary Pants die that I repainted photo above to see highlights of dice added in OCTOBER 2019

Can you guess why I named the die ... Hands up Yankees? ... or complete the command?

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-11-01 at 10:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

As a very small scale dice collector (I have less than 100, I think)...

----

What is your favorite d6 (aesthetically-wise) that is still on commercial sale (and hopefully easy to acquire)? Would you recommend it for others?

And same question, but is as of now discontinued in the market?

18. - Top - End - #978

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Yew View Post
    As a very small scale dice collector (I have less than 100, I think)...

----

What is your favorite d6 (aesthetically-wise) that is still on commercial sale (and hopefully easy to acquire)? Would you recommend it for others?
    It changes so often that I cannot really say that I have a favorite

And same question, but is as of now discontinued in the market?
    As we are in the Golden Age of dice ... MOST dice are still on the market .... so it is hard to tell if something is now discontinued ... unless you look at Chessex Catalogs when they announce that something is discontinued

19. - Top - End - #979

Is it possible to identify the top row and bottom right dice in this image based on color? The d20 is the 0-9(x2) variety. Someone on a shared Facebook group was wondering. They belong to her father and he also has the old D&D white box (not to say the dice were from there) to perhaps help place the era.

I assume the two clear ones were just bought in a set along the way and the white one, who knows. Thanks for taking a look.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2019-11-28 at 12:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980

Default November 2019 highlights

Click on the the Easy Roller Dice Company ... d20 of the Giants (Frost) above to see highlights of dice added in November 2019

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2019-12-03 at 04:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #981

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Is it possible to identify the top row and bottom right dice in this image based on color? The d20 is the 0-9(x2) variety. Someone on a shared Facebook group was wondering. They belong to her father and he also has the old D&D white box (not to say the dice were from there) to perhaps help place the era.

I assume the two clear ones were just bought in a set along the way and the white one, who knows. Thanks for taking a look.
    You can try to use my dice ID page ... they seem to either be Gamescience or Armory

http://www.dicecollector.com/DICEINF...ADE_A_DIE.html

22. - Top - End - #982

Default December 2019 hightlights

Click on the the PAX Australia D8 above to see highlights of dice added in December 2019

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2020-01-04 at 04:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #983

I actually visited your site while the forums were down. And bought more dice. This is not normal behavior for me.

24. - Top - End - #984

Kevin,

Here's a question for you: did you notice the difference in casting details on the d20 of Q-workshop's Tech dice? Take a look at any plastic set vs. either of the metal sets (links to your gallery):
    plastic
    metal

You can see that a plastic example has four "ridges" along the edge and the metal ones have six. These are the only true distinctions I could find between these materials over the seven dice, and sadly my scrutiny is because the metal set I just got has some QC issues - either the casting was poorly done or these metal dice were left in the tumbler far too long. Ink is flaking out of the recesses and the surface details look worn. Yours seem to have some similar flaws.

The most interesting thing to me, however, is what I noticed about the 20-sider. It's not just that the plastic and metal are different, but my metal is different from yours with only three "ridges" on each edge. I'm sure you know more about Q's production methods, and I can imagine reasons why they wouldn't use the same mold for different materials, but I'm curious why they would change just this mold during a run.

Spoiler: Comparison d20
    Show

Thoughts? Rare variant?

Thanks

25. - Top - End - #985

No ... I had not noticed ... thanks for pointing that out

As to variant ... I can say that a plastic mold is very different than a mold for casting metal ... What surprises me is the metal has MORE detail ... as it seems that you get less definition with metal than you do with plastic

I cant really comment much about their manufacturing processes as I ... so far ... have not been given access to that info

Kevin,

Here's a question for you: did you notice the difference in casting details on the d20 of Q-workshop's Tech dice? Take a look at any plastic set vs. either of the metal sets (links to your gallery):
    plastic
    metal

You can see that a plastic example has four "ridges" along the edge and the metal ones have six. These are the only true distinctions I could find between these materials over the seven dice, and sadly my scrutiny is because the metal set I just got has some QC issues - either the casting was poorly done or these metal dice were left in the tumbler far too long. Ink is flaking out of the recesses and the surface details look worn. Yours seem to have some similar flaws.

The most interesting thing to me, however, is what I noticed about the 20-sider. It's not just that the plastic and metal are different, but my metal is different from yours with only three "ridges" on each edge. I'm sure you know more about Q's production methods, and I can imagine reasons why they wouldn't use the same mold for different materials, but I'm curious why they would change just this mold during a run.

Spoiler: Comparison d20
    Show

Thoughts? Rare variant?

Thanks

26. - Top - End - #986

Default January 2020 highlights

Click on the the KLMNOPS 20 sided dreidel above to see highlights of dice added in JANUARY 2020

** Note ... if you are seeking to sell Star Wars Destiny dice ... please see my update in this months hightlights

27. - Top - End - #987

Default Highlights February to August 2020

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice for the past few months ... Please ignore this post

Click on the animation below to see the highlights for the corresponding month

FEBRUARY ............... MARCH .................. APRIL ..................... MAY

JUNE ......................... JULY ..................... AUGUST

Moderators / Admins .. I read the Forum Rules looking for prohibitions of animated GIF's and did not find any ... If I am wrong ... please let me know

28. - Top - End - #988

Default September 2020 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in SEPTEMBER 2020

** Note ... if you are seeking to sell Star Wars Destiny dice ... please see my update in this months hightlights

29. - Top - End - #989

d6 Re: Got any Dice Questions?

Congratulations on that six-figure milestone!

30. - Top - End - #990

Congratulations on that six-figure milestone!
    Thanks !!!!