New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1106
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default October 2020 highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in OCTOBER 2020

SPECIAL REQUEST - If you can help with identifying some unknown dice ... noted in this months highlights ...
    it would be greatly appreciated ... you can contact me here ... or via email (on my site) if you have info to add

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-01-09 at 09:07 AM. Reason: TITLE CHANGE

2. - Top - End - #992

Default November 2020 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were added to the worlds largest collection of dice this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in NOVEMBER 2020

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-01-09 at 09:07 AM. Reason: TITLE CHANGE

3. - Top - End - #993

Default December 2020 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in DECEMBER 2020

4. - Top - End - #994

Default January 2020 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in JANUARY 2021

5. - Top - End - #995

Default February 2021 hightligts

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in FEBRUARY 2021

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-03-08 at 02:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996

Default March 2021 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in MARCH 2021

7. - Top - End - #997
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

Did the circuit dice end up having a really long development time, or did they just sell out really fast before? I swear I remember seeing some with that design years ago, but could never find them for sale.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

8. - Top - End - #998

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Did the circuit dice end up having a really long development time, or did they just sell out really fast before? I swear I remember seeing some with that design years ago, but could never find them for sale.
    Truly I dont know ... I was approached by the designer and asked if I would like to purchase for the website ... sorry

9. - Top - End - #999
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Actually, I do have a dice question.

There's a player in my group. He rolls a very large number of nat 20s. I KNOW he is cheating. Here's what he does:

He rolls the die in his hand.
    He then stops, puts the die at eye level with the 7 facing up.
    He then drops the die into his tower.

I have tried duplicating his results with his dice to no avail. I know it's not luck. Can anyone clue me in on how to duplicate his results?

10. - Top - End - #1000

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post

There's a player in my group. He rolls a very large number of nat 20s. I KNOW he is cheating. Here's what he does:

I have tried duplicating his results with his dice to no avail. I know it's not luck. Can anyone clue me in on how to duplicate his results?
    Based on rolling the die in his hands, then pausing while looking before rolling, I have a guess how it is weighted. Start by hollowing out the die. Insert a weight into it. Fill the die with a wax or similar that is solid at room temperature, but melts easily. Then seal the die back up. Once this is done, you can vary what the die is weighted to. You use body heat (rolling the die around in your hand) to melt the wax, then let the weight fall to the side you want down (pausing while staring at the die), then roll it. It won't give you the roll every time, but it will give it to you way more than normally. I have no idea why he always goes with the 7, but I assume he has trial and error figured that it works with his dice tower. I would guess that the time that he heats the die in his hand is what you are not duplicating, and it could be in either direction, because if the die is too warm, the weight inside may not end up staying at the bottom. Please let me know if you figure out what he is doing, because if it's something else, I'd like to know other methods.

My own question is, what would be the correct angles to make a fair 24-sided die? My personal campaign uses the shape to demonstrate how different deities interact with each other, with one face of the die representing one deity. I'd like to create a custom die that shows each deity's holy symbol on the appropriate face, but I haven't been able to find one in person to measure the angles. Thanks!
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

11. - Top - End - #1001

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    My own question is, what would be the correct angles to make a fair 24-sided die? My personal campaign uses the shape to demonstrate how different deities interact with each other, with one face of the die representing one deity. I'd like to create a custom die that shows each deity's holy symbol on the appropriate face, but I haven't been able to find one in person to measure the angles. Thanks!
    Which icositetrahedon did you have in mind? Wikipedia lists several. The one I have is deltoidal, from The Dice Lab, but I don't have the tools to measure the angles.

12. - Top - End - #1002

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Which icositetrahedon did you have in mind? Wikipedia lists several. The one I have is deltoidal, from The Dice Lab, but I don't have the tools to measure the angles.
    Outstanding, thank you. Wasn't sure what to call it. I'm looking for the tetrakis hexahedron, and that has the angles in there at 83.6 and 48.2.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

It's not enough to know what's facing up. You also need to know the orientation. Which side of the 7 is closest to him? [Another way to think of it is which side that borders the 7 is closest to him.]

But you don't need to figure out how he's doing it. Get the other players (and most especially the DM) to agree with you, and then tell him to stop it. Tell him he cannot roll that way. That the DM will be rolling for him unless he comes up with some method that doesn't give him an unfair advantage.

The method doesn't matter. The unfair advantage matters. If he gets a consistent unfair advantage , I don't care if it's telekinesis, or careful die placement, or melted wax, or a weighted die, or a Limited Wish. He can't have an unfair advantage.

14. - Top - End - #1004

Having read all of the replies to this ... I have to agree that the die sounds like it is weighted ... make him do a salt water float test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3N4Qg-JZM

If the die is too heavy to float ... then do a spin test ... Sorry I dont have a video for this ... but ... what you do is choose one of the two vertices where the 20 / 1 is on the side ... and spin the die ... if it is unbalanced ... you will easily see the wobble

As to 20 sided dice shapes ... I am not clear to which forms you are referring ... perhaps this could help?

http://www.dicecollector.com/DICEINF..._HAVE.html#D20

15. - Top - End - #1005

Default April 2021 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in APRIL 2021

16. - Top - End - #1006

Default May 2021 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in MAY 2021

17. - Top - End - #1007

Default June 2021 hightlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in JUNE 2021

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-07-03 at 03:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of curiosity, how do the seemingly completely round ones (it seems like they're called Chiasso, the red and blue pair) work? Are they weighted in some way or what?

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do the seemingly completely round ones (it seems like they're called Chiasso, the red and blue pair) work? Are they weighted in some way or what?
    They have an interior cavity the shape of their dual-property solid.

[A cube has six sides and eight points. Its dual-property solid, the octahedron, has six points and eight sides. Similarly, a d12 has 12 sides and 20 points, while a d20 has 12 points and 20 sides. The d4 has 4 sides and 4 points. Its dual property solid is another tetrahedron, upside-down.]

In this cavity is a small weight. That weight wants to fall as low as possible, and so winds up in one of the points. The side associated with this point is therefore on the table, and the opposite side is facing up.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    In this cavity is a small weight. That weight wants to fall as low as possible, and so winds up in one of the points. The side associated with this point is therefore on the table, and the opposite side is facing up.
    Oh, okay, I think I understand what you're saying. I assumed it was weighted in some way but I couldn't figure out how it'd work. Thanks.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Jay R is correct

Imagine it this way ... on the inside of the sphere that is a 6 sided die is a heavy ball ... and the inside of the spherical shell have 6 dimples / cavities each opposite a numbered side on the outside of the sphere

When you roll it ... the weight comes to rest in one of the dimples ... causing the die to have an up facing number :)
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-07-18 at 09:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1012

Default July 2021 highlights

Click on the the slideshow above to see highlights of dice added in JULY 2021

23. - Top - End - #1013

Personally, I haven't got into wooden dice at all, but there's something cool about those "pill" d4's with tree grain.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Personally, I haven't got into wooden dice at all, but there's something cool about those "pill" d4's with tree grain.
    Yeah, those caught my attention too. Pretty cool. (Also, they're presumably less painful to step on by accident than regular d4s ).

25. - Top - End - #1015

Yeah, those caught my attention too. Pretty cool. (Also, they're presumably less painful to step on by accident than regular d4s ).
    Only if you dont mind splinters :)

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Cook View Post
    Only if you dont mind splinters :)

4d4 made of wood ninja dice trained by an old wooden d4 almost falling apart. fight against hordes of plastic ones designed to injure. They are led by a metal d4 who calls himself shredder. Their band is called The Foot. The old wooden d4 is master splinter...

Teenage mutant ninja dice.

Edit: Yes, I realize how terrible this is.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-08-05 at 08:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1017

4d4 made of wood ninja dice trained by an old wooden d4 almost falling apart. fight against hordes of plastic ones designed to injure. They are led by a metal d4 who calls himself shredder. Their band is called The Foot. The old wooden d4 is master splinter...

Teenage mutant ninja dice.

Edit: Yes, I realize how terrible this is.
    LOL ... I should have seen that one coming :)

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Have you heard of/do you have this 7-dice-in-one monstrosity?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gm80y1uGQ

What do you think of it? Is it actually in any way balanced?

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post

If it's made well, it should be balanced. It's just a d120 marked funny. 120 divides evenly by 4, 6, 8 10. 12, and 20, so:
    for a d4, there are 30 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 4,
    for a d6, there are 20 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 6,
    for a d8, there are 15 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 8,
    for a d10, there are 12 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 10,
    for a d12, there are 10 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 12, and
    for a d20, there are 6 sides that give each possible result from 1 to 20.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2021-08-06 at 11:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Yes .... I am aware of the project and am working with the designer (Len) with suggestions

Yes ... it is balanced ... the Least Common Multiple of 4 6 8 10 12 20 is 120 ... so it will it will use a DISDYAKIS TRICONTAHEDRON (HEXAKIS ICOSAHEDRON) shape so that there will be a an even number of occurrences of the d4 d6 d8 d10 d12 d20 on the surface of the

http://dicecollector.com/images/larg...7935f7010d.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2021-08-07 at 08:09 AM.