New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

If you don't want to use it as a phone, you can just get an iPod Touch. It's the same thing, just without the phone. It looks like the 8 GB version (which would be plenty, if this is all you're using it for) is around $200.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have some questions. Back in the mid-to-late 90's, one of the (at the time) big dice manufacturing companies made a set of Magic: the Gathering dice. There was a pair for each color (Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White), that consisted of two 10 sided dice - a d10 (0-9) and a d-"tens" (00-90).

The dice were "pearlescent" (If I remember the term correctly), and instead of the "0" and "00", it had that color's mana symbol. I think it was possible to buy just a single color pair, but the set of ten dice I bought (a set of each color) came in a dice tube.

I don't have pictures of these dice with me right now, but after I get home (and figure out how to attach an image here), I can let everybody see what they look like.

On to my questions: Which company made these dice? Where can I find a full set now?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    If you don't want to use it as a phone, you can just get an iPod Touch. It's the same thing, just without the phone. It looks like the 8 GB version (which would be plenty, if this is all you're using it for) is around $200.
    Thanks Chronos ... Am I correct to assume it can download programs from itunes apps and has an accelerometer?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZilla View Post
    I have some questions. Back in the mid-to-late 90's, one of the (at the time) big dice manufacturing companies made a set of Magic: the Gathering dice. There was a pair for each color (Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White), that consisted of two 10 sided dice - a d10 (0-9) and a d-"tens" (00-90).

The dice were "pearlescent" (If I remember the term correctly), and instead of the "0" and "00", it had that color's mana symbol. I think it was possible to buy just a single color pair, but the set of ten dice I bought (a set of each color) came in a dice tube.

I don't have pictures of these dice with me right now, but after I get home (and figure out how to attach an image here), I can let everybody see what they look like.

On to my questions: Which company made these dice? Where can I find a full set now?
    I beleve you mean THESE dice?

Those were very obscure and were not made by any of the major dice companies that I know of ... As I understand it ... back in the mid 80s when MTG was first released ... the company that made these did so without the permissions of WOTC ... and were ether sued out of existance ... or were given cease and desist order ... and were not allowed to sell the remaining stock ...

So to answer your question ... these are very rare ... and cannot be purchased in the US ...

If anyone can contradict this ... please do ... as I would like to have extras for trade :)

4. - Top - End - #214

Earlier a 20 sided die was mentioned with all the of high numbers surrounding the twenty, then the post said you just hav eto aim for the twenty and you are set (IIRC), how the devil are you supposed to aim a roll?
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

It's really difficult; I doubt I could ever do it and get a 20 more than 5% of the time, but dice with all of the high numbers by 20 would be a lot easier to get good rolls on if you could aim it even partially.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by DrizztFan24 View Post
    Earlier a 20 sided die was mentioned with all the of high numbers surrounding the twenty, then the post said you just hav eto aim for the twenty and you are set (IIRC), how the devil are you supposed to aim a roll?
    Dice Sharps have been 'rolling with English' (not sure of the origination of this term but likely it is something between the French and English) ... FMArthur is correct it is more difficult the more sides you add ... but I have seen it done with the 'spindown' style d20 that are you referring to

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

About this set
    My daughter has this game

and it includes a die with colours as the faces, if I can pursuade her she's grown out of it would you want it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    .. it includes a die with colours as the faces, if I can pursuade her she's grown out of it would you want it?
    I may already have the die ... can you show me a picture?

Or give me a better description?

What is it made of?

What size is it?

What colors are on it?

9. - Top - End - #219

Default October 2008 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the John Pettit 'Old West' dice set above
    for highlights of <<dice added in October 2008>>

I STILL have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns
    and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales (no new ones this month ) ...

HERE is what I have / need ... just 5 left

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I have a question, probably asked before, but...do you have many dice with an odd number of sides?

I have 93 dice with an odd number of sides ... these range from D3 to d15

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have any fudge dice(d6 dice with a - side a blank side and a + side)?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Is an 100 sided die really just a circle? or are the sides a bit more defined?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

You're one of a kind Kevin, one of a kind.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    Oh, I know this one! I'm not Kevin, so I hope he doesn't mind if jack this question...

The d100, "affectionately" called the Golf Ball, is a sphere with little nubs on the outside, so that it actually counts as having sides. I myself own only one, but I believe Kevin owns quite a few, and my have posted a picture or two of them in this very thread.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

15. - Top - End - #225

I believe they're called Zocchihedrons, although that's more of a brand name than the actual geometric shape.
    Sig'd

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, Kevin, I don't remember mentioning this before, but I think I've seen some dice that I don't recall seeing on your site. I haven't used 'em in a while, but from what I remember they'r six-sided dice that have two blank sides, two 1s, and two 2s. My friend has a board game called "Betrayal at House on the Hill" that's put out by Avalon Hill (I think - I know it's some WotC-run company). Just a heads-up, in case you don't have any.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked back through the thread again and did indeed find that I'd mentioned them HERE. Carry on.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-11-02 at 01:21 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Do you have any fudge dice(d6 dice with a - side a blank side and a + side)?
    Yes ... I have several sets of Fudge dice

Q-Workshop makes the best ones I have seen to date (search for FUDGE)

It is on my <TO DO> list to make a Fudge Dice theme

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Oh, I know this one! I'm not Kevin, so I hope he doesn't mind if jack this question...

The d100, "affectionately" called the Golf Ball, is a sphere with little nubs on the outside, so that it actually counts as having sides. I myself own only one, but I believe Kevin owns quite a few, and my have posted a picture or two of them in this very thread.
    No worries ... even I don't know everything about dice

DM's answer is correct but I would like to add a bit

The sides on the D100 are circular and all have the same surface area ... and are as close to as possible equally space over the sphere

THIS PICTURE probably best illustrates what we are speaking about

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    I believe they're called Zocchihedrons, although that's more of a brand name than the actual geometric shape.
    Correct ... There is no proper mathmatical term for a 100 sided sided die (to my knowledge)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You're one of a kind Kevin, one of a kind.
    LOL ... thanks ... I need to be 2 of a kind to get all the work done that I would like to get done :)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So how does Guinness define a die that counts? I mean, I see you have paper self-created ones. You mentioned that duplicates do not count. And I saw a picture of what reminds me of a dreidel - is that a spin-style die? (http://www.dicecollector.com/D06_SPI...1_BKTRADE.jpg) I seem to recall that I saw you mention that you have to be able to roll it - thus those tap to "roll" electronic ones did not count. Does the music box you showed count? Or things like jewelry - earrings, keychains, pendants and such?

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Liriel View Post
    So how does Guinness define a die that counts
    Guinness doesn't count them ... the record holder and witnesses do
    I mean, I see you have paper self-created ones.
    Yep
    You mentioned that duplicates do not count.
    Dice in sets can have duplicates ... for instance ... poker dice have 5 dice ... Pairs of pipped D6's count (otherwise it would be a die collection) ...
    And I saw a picture of what reminds me of a dreidel - is that a spin-style die? (http://www.dicecollector.com/D06_SPI...01_BKTRADE.jpg)
    Yes ... I count them as dice as they are cast ... rolled ... or spun ... freely (versus a fixed spinner like in the game of LIFE)
    I seem to recall that I saw you mention that you have to be able to roll it - thus those tap to "roll" electronic ones did not count.
    Roll ... Cast ... Toss .. Spin
    Does the music box you showed count? Or things like jewelry - earrings, keychains, pendants and such?
    Some of them could ... I would not count the music box because it would open if it ever were rolled ... whereas I do count THIS ONE as it can be rolled without a chance of it opening

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are there any RPG systems that focus on d12s or d24s?
    Characters:
    Alejandro

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Are there any RPG systems that focus on d12s or d24s?
    None that I know of ... especially as the D24 is so new
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2008-11-02 at 02:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holy crap, Kevin got onto Cracked.

Though I'm not entirely sure that it's something to be proud of.

At least you're cooler than the Insane Pikachu Woman.

EDIT: And the Boxed Transformer Fooled-By-A-Five-Year-Old Lady.

EDIT2: And the Supersoaker guy.

EDIT3: And the Psychotic Barbie Lady.

EDIT4: The Star Wars thing is kinda cool, though.

EDIT5: And some of the videogame stuff is neat.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2008-11-02 at 10:10 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Thanks BW ...

The funny thing is ... with the exception of the Barbie and Super Soaker collections ... I have dice that would be applicable to the other collections :)

24. - Top - End - #234

Default November 2008 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the Q-Workshop Earth Dawn set above
    for highlights of <<dice added in November 2008>>

I STILL have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns
    and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales (no new ones this month ) ...

HERE is what I have / need ... just 5 left

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, those look really ornate. Certainly nice-looking dice.

Heh, I was going to link to the video in the "dice manufacturing" thread from yesterday, thinking you might be the most interested in it, and it took me a few moments to realize that you must already know every bit of information presented there anyway.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I love this thread.

So, what are your "fairest" sense of physical dice? Obviously not counting electronic ones.

EDIT:
    I'd like to know for a full D&D set, and also for your single "fairest" die of any side count.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-12-01 at 01:10 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A few questions. Most of which aren't really related to dice other than the fact you have a horde of em.

1. Speaking of hordes, have you ever been tempted to sleep on em like a dragon?
    2. If not Scrooge McDuck swimming style?
    3. Lastly a dice throne to honor the amazingly large amount of dice?

(razor sharp AD&D dice not included)

Anyway...
    How much does said collection weigh, not including packing? (or you if you do feel like dice-dipping)

Have you ever found a reason to roll your d120? If so was it off of a chart you made 120 options for?

Sorry if it is on your website, but it is blocked at work, what is the average value per die in your collection?

I know you rarely game anymore, but when you do will people bother to bring dice? In other words, do your friends assume you got thier back as far as needing dice go?

Are you as paranoid as some gamers about people touching your dice?

What is the highest "dice tower" you have acheived, using what kind of materials in the dice, along with sides? (dice tower being....stacking dice...hope I wasn't too obvious.) I've decided after this question my right to ask such things should be revoked.

Thanks for your time.

28. - Top - End - #238

On a random note, have you ever pried out the dice in a game of Sorry to add to your collection? And when you see dice you don't have do you walk up to their owners and offer to purchase the dice? (That last one is obviously a yes in the case of dice sellers and flea markets and such, but I mean just random people you see rolling dice)
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

29. - Top - End - #239

When I moved into my new house this fall there was a lot of cleaning to do. One of the things I discovered was a die I don't understand.

It is a normal 6 sided cube shape but the sides are marked according to the scheme of n^2... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. I have no idea where this is from/what it's intended for or why you'd want a distribution weighted like that. Can you explain?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

assuming these haven't already been asked/answered:

how do sets like dragon bones dice factor into it all (each set with apparently unique colouring)

apart from your meteorite dice, what other "odd materials" do you have in your collection?

whats the oddest dice rolling aid you own?

would you like to be buried in a dice shaped coffin? If so, how many sides would you like it to have? And would be the one to roll you into your grave? Would you be open to determining what kind of wake is held by the result of said dice roll?

and one last morbid question: will you donate your bones to a dice maker after you pass, for dice creation material?

have you given any of your dice pet names?

are there any dice you won't play with because they're just too pretty and you don't want them getting marked up?

what piece in your collection holds the most sentimental value?

EDIT:

and also - are there any dice you would object to collecting (morally/personally etc)?
    Last edited by xPANCAKEx; 2008-12-01 at 10:37 AM.
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.