New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

WOW ... this has to be the most number of questions I have ever answered in one post

Here goes ...

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Wow, those look really ornate. Certainly nice-looking dice.
    Yep ... I agree ... Q-Workshop just keeps getting better and better at fancy dice :)

Heh, I was going to link to the video in the "dice manufacturing" thread from yesterday, thinking you might be the most interested in it, and it took me a few moments to realize that you must already know every bit of information presented there anyway.
    "Dice Manufacturing" Thread?

If you are speaking of the You Tube interview videos with Louis Zocchi ... yes ... I am very aware :) ... Lou is a good friend

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Man, I love this thread.

So, what are your "fairest" sense of physical dice? Obviously not counting electronic ones.

EDIT:
    I'd like to know for a full D&D set, and also for your single "fairest" die of any side count.
    GameScience are the dice that in my opinion provide the most random rolls ... is this what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    A few questions. Most of which aren't really related to dice other than the fact you have a horde of em.
    LOL

1. Speaking of hordes, have you ever been tempted to sleep on em like a dragon?
    Not really .. dice are quite uncomfortable to sit on ... much less lie down on :)

2. If not Scrooge McDuck swimming style?
    I did get an email request for a couple to be allowed to 'make love' in a vat filled with my dice ... I turned them down for several reasons ... but referred them to Chessex as they frequently have their 'Hot Tub of Dice' at gaming conventions

3. Lastly a dice throne to honor the amazingly large amount of dice?
    Interesting idea ... but I have nowhere to put it :)

How much does said collection weigh, not including packing? (or you if you do feel like dice-dipping)
    Truth ... I never have weighed them ... my guess would be less than a ton (2000 pounds)

Have you ever found a reason to roll your d120? If so was it off of a chart you made 120 options for?
    No and No ... but I would welcome a reason to or charts for it :)

Sorry if it is on your website, but it is blocked at work, what is the average value per die in your collection?
    THIS is the page being referred to ...

As of December 1 2008 the average cost per die is $1.63 US with $0.31 US as hipping for a TOTAL cost of $1.94 US

I know you rarely game anymore, but when you do will people bother to bring dice?
    I don't/won't bring dice for others as I acually use dice from my collection when I game ... and i have to be very careful to return them to the collection container when I am finished

In other words, do your friends assume you got thier back as far as needing dice go?
    Nope ... I am a 'hater' as that is concerned

But if we play at my house ... they are welcome to use dice from my duplicates

Are you as paranoid as some gamers about people touching your dice?
    Probably more so ... but for very different reasons

I have had dice stolen in the past ... as a result ... if there is any chance of this occuring ... it would require that I reinventory the dice for Guinness ... it has taken me 8+ years to inventory what I have now ... so yes ... I am borderline paranoid about people being around the collection

What is the highest "dice tower" you have acheived, using what kind of materials in the dice, along with sides? (dice tower being....stacking dice...hope I wasn't too obvious.) I've decided after this question my right to ask such things should be revoked.
    LOL ... I never really stacked them much ... I did however in college form a club called the Dice Spinners International

Thanks for your time.
    It was a pleasure :)

Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    On a random note, have you ever pried out the dice in a game of Sorry to add to your collection?
    No but I have done several 8-Ball games

And when you see dice you don't have do you walk up to their owners and offer to purchase the dice? (That last one is obviously a yes in the case of dice sellers and flea markets and such, but I mean just random people you see rolling dice)
    I have done such at times ... or offered to trade

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    When I moved into my new house this fall there was a lot of cleaning to do. One of the things I discovered was a die I don't understand.

It is a normal 6 sided cube shape but the sides are marked according to the scheme of n^2... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. I have no idea where this is from/what it's intended for or why you'd want a distribution weighted like that. Can you explain?
    This kind of die is a Backgammon Doubling Die ... in a nutshell it is used to optionally double the points / wager when a double is rolled ... IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    how do sets like dragon bones dice factor into it all (each set with apparently unique colouring)
    THESE are the dice that are being referred to in this question
    With the exception of paired pipped d6's ... and dice that are in sets for other reasons (required for a game ... come packaged togehter etc) ... I do not count duplicates ... but if a die is unique for ANY reason ... whether it be inidicia/pip/number orientation on the die ... color of the die ... color of the indicia ... I count it in the collection ... so to answer what I think is your question ... I count each die in each of these sets ...

apart from your meteorite dice, what other "odd materials" do you have in your collection?
    It all depends on what you mean by odd

I have dice made of

* Mammouth Ivory
    * Marzapan
    * Damascus (folded) Steel
    * Soap

I could probably keep going :)

whats the oddest dice rolling aid you own?
    Actually I try to reduce non collection items as much as possible ... so I don't own any dice towers / trays etc

would you like to be buried in a dice shaped coffin? If so, how many sides would you like it to have? And would be the one to roll you into your grave? Would you be open to determining what kind of wake is held by the result of said dice roll?
    No ... Not Applicable (n/a) ... No ... LOL ... that would be neat

What I am hoping to do is take advantage of http://www.lifegem.com/ and have my remains compressed into a diamond ... and then have the diamond cut into a die ... then I can be added to the collection

one last morbid question: will you donate your bones to a dice maker after you pass, for dice creation material?
    See above .. but that is an option if Life Gem is not feasable

have you given any of your dice pet names?
    Nope ... not enough time to grow attached to a particular die to warrent a name :)

are there any dice you won't play with because they're just too pretty and you don't want them getting marked up?
    Many ... particularly the Crystal Caste Dwarven Stones

what piece in your collection holds the most sentimental value?
    The second pair from the right mean a lot to me

These dice were mine from the beginning ... but were often borrowed by a college buddy Hey Fant Sparks ... who could work magic with these dice ... I had never seen anyone before ... nor since who could roll so well

I also am fond of my original set of gaming dice

are there any dice you would object to collecting (morally/personally etc)?
    I don't like collectible dice games as the dice are so hard to identify

I may object to the indicia of some dice (on moral grounds) ... but I do not refrain from collecting them ... as I am doing this for posterity (as well as for my own pleasure)
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2008-12-21 at 06:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hi there! Congrats for your really impressive collection. Dice fascinate me: I'm charmed by their rolling, the aura of mystery that surround them (and I'm sure that you, who own many divination dice, are well aware of the historical background of the "divinating alea"), their final outcome being the result of the unique conditions of the universe at the time of the roll (the shaking of the hand, the local elastic coefficient of the surface they roll on, the density of the air...) (which, in turn seems to somewhat lessen their capability of giving "random" results, as knowing EVERY variable in the universe that could affect the result would give the ability to foresee the outcome - but this is a task that only God can perform...); so your collection fascinates me!
    I have a question regarding d4s (I hope noboy asked you earlier!): I noticed that tetrahedrical d4s come in two flavours, those with numbers on the base of their faces, and those with it on the vertex. Is this difference in style a "time-based" one (I mean, dice manufacturers began making d4s in one way, then permanently switched to the other due to readability issues or the sort)? If the question is "no", do usually manufacturers choose one style or sell both styles? Are there games which traditionally use one flavour or the other (for example, the sets for a particular game ONLY used vertex-numbered ones)? And finally (the old banal question!) which of the two flavours do you prefer? Personally, I prefer the vertex-numbered ones (for no particular reason: I just like them more)...

Thanks for your answers.

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Hi there! Congrats for your really impressive collection.
    Thanks

I have a question regarding d4s (I hope noboy asked you earlier!): I noticed that tetrahedrical d4s come in two flavours, those with numbers on the base of their faces, and those with it on the vertex. Is this difference in style a "time-based" one (I mean, dice manufacturers began making d4s in one way, then permanently switched to the other due to readability issues or the sort)? If the question is "no", do usually manufacturers choose one style or sell both styles?
    Chessex was the company that developed the Vertex / Point numbering and seem to be the only major manufacturer / distributor that continues using this practice ... Q-Workshop ... Crystal Caste ... GameScience ... Koplow ... all still use the old 'base' numbering for their current dice

Are there games which traditionally use one flavour or the other (for example, the sets for a particular game ONLY used vertex-numbered ones)?
    I know of none that rely upon a specific configuration

And finally (the old banal question!) which of the two flavours do you prefer? Personally, I prefer the vertex-numbered ones (for no particular reason: I just like them more)...
    Actually I dont prefer one over another ... I find them both easily readable
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2008-12-21 at 07:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Do you have my favorite d20? It's a black die with red numbers, 3/4 of an inch in each dimension, and I suspect it's a chessex from a few years ago.

By the way awesome dice, I wish I had 2" metal dice.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    Do you have my favorite d20? It's a black die with red numbers, 3/4 of an inch in each dimension, and I suspect it's a chessex from a few years ago.
    I believe I do ... is THIS it? (bottom row second from right)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

If these have been asked I apologise.

Is there a rule governing that numbers go next/opposite other numbers on dice?

How do the world record types check your collection? Surely avoiding duplicates is hard if you have hundreds of a type of dice.

Was there a previous title holder or are you the first person to have held the title?

Do you only collect number dice or also those ones with words or symbols (such as some Pizza topping dice a friend has for when he does not know what to have or the scatter dice used in Warhammer) What about trick/joke/loaded dice?

(Slightly morbid) What will happen to the collection on your death?

How accurate is this video as far as you know (parts 1 and 2)? I have heard differing opinions.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-12-21 at 11:25 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    If these have been asked I apologise.
    No worries

Is there a rule governing that numbers go next/opposite other numbers on dice?
    No real rule ... but tradition has been that opposing sides add to N+1 where N = the number of sides on the die

How do the world record types check your collection? Surely avoiding duplicates is hard if you have hundreds of a type of dice.
    Guinness requires that each record holder have witnesses ... who validate your record ... they also require either video or photo records of the collection as well as some sort of accounting method so that they can see the records for the collection

Was there a previous title holder or are you the first person to have held the title?
    I was the first person to set this record

Do you only collect number dice or also those ones with words or symbols (such as some Pizza topping dice a friend has for when he does not know what to have or the scatter dice used in Warhammer) What about trick/joke/loaded dice?
    I collect any kind of non attached randomizer (ie not attached spinners ... like in the game of LIFE)

(Slightly morbid) What will happen to the collection on your death?
    That is still a work in progress

How accurate is this video as far as you know (parts 1 and 2)? I have heard differing opinions.
    I was 'behind the camera' while that was filiming ... if Lou had said something that I felt was inacurate ... I would have said something

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

This was brought up in another thread, and now I'm curious: Do you have any d10s with a 10 instead of a 0?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Another question, what is the weirdest dice you own?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Cook View Post
    I also am fond of my original set of gaming dice
    Hey, do you know anything specific about that d4? Like, how old it is or who made or or whatever? Because, unless I'm mistaken, I have that EXACT die same color, same "font," same flat corners instead of points, etc.), and it's my favorite d4. The weight, the composition, and all that just seem perfect.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it because I bought it one night at a gaming store while we were playing there and I didn't have a d4 on me. I'd love to know more about it if you could tell me.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    This was brought up in another thread, and now I'm curious: Do you have any d10s with a 10 instead of a 0?
    Yes ... I call them True D10's ... there are several on THIS page ... from various manufacturers

Another question, what is the weirdest dice you own?
    I don't really consider any die to be wierd ... can you narrow you question further?

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Hey, do you know anything specific about that d4? Like, how old it is or who made or or whatever? Because, unless I'm mistaken, I have that EXACT die same color, same "font," same flat corners instead of points, etc.), and it's my favorite d4. The weight, the composition, and all that just seem perfect.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it because I bought it one night at a gaming store while we were playing there and I didn't have a d4 on me. I'd love to know more about it if you could tell me.
    The white/ivory D4 of which you are speaking is a GameScience D4

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I don't really consider any die to be wierd ... can you narrow you question further?]
    A dice that has a purpose or is made of a material that is as far from the standard "plastic number generator" as possible then.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #253

A dice that has a purpose
    I assume all dice have a purpose ... if for no other reason that it could be made (like my d60)

or is made of a material that is as far from the standard "plastic number generator" as possible then.
    I suppose my Marzapan dice are about as far from plastic as one could get

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I assume all dice have a purpose ... if for no other reason that it could be made (like my d60)

I suppose my Marzapan dice are about as far from plastic as one could get
    I missed a comma there. Let me try again. Made of a material as far from plastic as possible and/or has a purpose as far as possible from a number generator as possible.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #255

I missed a comma there. Let me try again. Made of a material as far from plastic as possible and/or has a purpose as far as possible from a number generator as possible.
    AH .. got ya

Every die has a purpose of generating a random outcome ... otherwise ... by my definition ... it isnt a die

There are MANY dice that do not generate numeric outcomes ... so many that I cant even quantify it well ...

Examples of such dice are ... poker dice ... or golf dice

16. - Top - End - #256

Default December 2008 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the above Q-Workshop 2008 Dice Design Contest winning die (one of a set)
    for highlights of <<dice added in December 2008>>

I STILL have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns
    and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales (no new ones this month ) ...

HERE is what I have / need ... just 5 left

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Kevin, I would think that you probably already have most of them, but Dicecapades! by Haywire Press has some picture dice in it that you might not yet have. I recieved a copy for christmas, thought I'd let you know if you'd not already known.
    Last edited by UserClone; 2009-01-03 at 11:40 AM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Don't you find some of these heavily decorated dice rather hard to read and thus of less actual use (although I admit a lot of the dice that fall into this category that you own do look very nice).
    GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    Kevin, I would think that you probably already have most of them, but Dicecapades! by Haywire Press has some picture dice in it that you might not yet have. I recieved a copy for christmas, thought I'd let you know if you'd not already known.
    HERE are the dice that Haywire sent me for their dice theme ... Do you have any others that I dont?

Don't you find some of these heavily decorated dice rather hard to read and thus of less actual use (although I admit a lot of the dice that fall into this category that you own do look very nice).
    My eyes are getting old ... so yes ... but for younger gamers ... I would not think they would be that hard to read

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my bad, I didn't see that section of your site. Nope, you've got them all already. Oh well, worth checking, I would think.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    Oh my bad, I didn't see that section of your site. Nope, you've got them all already. Oh well, worth checking, I would think.
    THANK YOU for checking ... its people like you that keep me up to date :)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

do you have a dice for the famous five "choose your own adventure" style books? (it has the 5 characters' names/portraits on the dice and "Mystery ?")
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I may already have the die ... can you show me a picture?

Or give me a better description?

What is it made of?

What size is it?

What colors are on it?
    Sorry I missed this post.
    The die is about 3/4" accross the nasty cheap plastic hollow type, typical of young childrens games. Its made of white plastic with round coloured stickers on each side two of each brick colour, I ask only as it's one you might not have it, it is a really uninspiring object.
    Last edited by Charity; 2009-01-05 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

24. - Top - End - #264

do you have a dice for the famous five "choose your own adventure" style books? (it has the 5 characters' names/portraits on the dice and "Mystery ?")
    A search of the database does not show such a die ... do you have one for sale or trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Sorry I missed this post.
    The die is about 3/4" accross the nasty cheap plastic hollow type, typical of young childrens games. Its made of white plastic with round coloured stickers on each side two of each brick colour, I ask only as it's one you might not have it, it is a really uninspiring object.
    The description doesnt seem to ring any bells ... A picture would be much better ... if possible

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

A search of the database does not show such a die ... do you have one for sale or trade?
    PM winging its way to you
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

26. - Top - End - #266

PM winging its way to you
    Replied .. about 5 min after you sent ... just happened across the PM :)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Do you know where I can get some dice made of actual crystal? I know Pyrite and Fluorite naturally occur as d12s and d8s respectively, but I can't find anywhere that actually sells crystalline dice.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Do the dice manufacturer's have you on a special mailing list so they can mail you as soon as they come up with something new?

What companies are the best about supporting you? By that, I figure at least one of the companies probably donates to your set whenever they unveil new dice.

Have you ever worked as a consultant for any of the dice companies? Or has a dice company ever called you with questions?

What is the strangest tax deduction you have ever taken for a dice? (not the amount, but the why).

What's your funniest dice story?

Do you still receive dice as gifts or have people given up giving you anything new at this point?

29. - Top - End - #269

LOL ... this is why I love GITP ... no mundane questions ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage8217 View Post
    Do you know where I can get some dice made of actual crystal? I know Pyrite and Fluorite naturally occur as d12s and d8s respectively, but I can't find anywhere that actually sells crystalline dice.
    It depends on what you are defining ... I know of noone who uses the normal matrix structure (ie the normal crystaline shape) of minerals

All stone dice ... that I know of ... are manually cut and polished

There are several companies that make dice out of stone that normally has a crystaline shape

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Do the dice manufacturer's have you on a special mailing list so they can mail you as soon as they come up with something new?
    Actually .. No ... I usually have to call them ... as they are very busy going to production

What companies are the best about supporting you? By that, I figure at least one of the companies probably donates to your set whenever they unveil new dice.
    Most of the dice companies are good about telling me things (that I cant talk about) and all give me a discount ... or sometimes dice just show up (this becomes a problem now that I am keeping track of costs)

I can say that Q-Workshop has been particulary good to me over the years

Have you ever worked as a consultant for any of the dice companies?
    Yes ... I was the expert witness in the art of dice and dice design in the Crystal Caste versus Hasbro Corporation Patent infringement caseCLICK HERE for more info

has a dice company ever called you with questions?
    I have received 2 emails this week from dice companies asking questions

What is the strangest tax deduction you have ever taken for a dice? (not the amount, but the why).
    So far ... I havent taken any ... but I am entertaining the idea of speaking to a tax accountant friend to see if I can

What's your funniest dice story?
    Hmmm ... that is a hard one ... dice are more FUN ... than Funny

Also ... I have a strange sense of humor ... so I thought a lot of the Hasbro case was hillarious

The wife of the president of GameStation.net sent me THIS dice video yesterday

Do you still receive dice as gifts or have people given up giving you anything new at this point?
    Yes ... I thank people for gifts of dice ... nearly every month ... in my monthly highlights (see previous posts in this thread)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

By crystalline I actually mean crystalline. Made of crystal. Fluorite, Pyrite, Quartz, etc.