Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default HP Calculator for Fractional HP Increases

I prefer to use fractional HP increase instead of rolling for HD in my games, since I find it to be far more fair. Of course, my players sometimes find the math confusing to do, especially when you have favored class bonuses, feats, levels, and etc. to factor into it. So I created a quick program to do it for them that was simple and easy to use. After a few versions, it eventually became feature rich enough to release publicly, so I am because why keep it to myself?

It requires .NET to run, which means if you're running a Mac it's just not going to work for you, sorry. Also if you have Windows 7 and live under a rock, you're going to have to install .NET from Microsoft. Here's one for version 4.5.1. You don't need to install anything if you're running Windows 8+.

A few features:
    - Does all the calculations for you!
    - You can set it to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or Max fractional HP.
    - Easy to use and no installation required. You just run the executable.
    - Persistent state, so it saves all of the settings that you had previously.
    - Editable theme! This was probably the most requested thing from my players.

A note that it rounds down instead of rounds up (being consistent with how the game works with fractions).

Download: http://http://www.mediafire.com/file/i3hkqzxzc6aepna/HP_Calculator.exe

Enjoy/report any bugs. I can't guarantee that if you request a feature it's going to be released in it, but if it's a good enough suggestion, it may get implemented.

v1.1 - 7/24/17
    Fixed bug where a Con score < 10 wouldn't calculate Con mod correctly.
    Last edited by Sacrieur; 2017-07-24 at 09:43 PM.
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: HP Calculator for Fractional HP Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrieur View Post
    It requires .NET to run, which means if you're running a Mac it's just not going to work for you, sorry. Also if you have Windows 7 and live under a rock, you're going to have to install .NET from Microsoft. Here's one for version 4.5.1. You don't need to install anything if you're running Windows 8+.
    I haven't followed the .NET development that closely, but is there a reason why you didn't target .NET Core? That one works on Linux and Macs, too.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I haven't followed the .NET development that closely, but is there a reason why you didn't target .NET Core? That one works on Linux and Macs, too.
    Yes! There is.

.NET Core permits you to execute a lot of .NET functionality on other platforms, but it doesn't include GUIs written in WinForms or WPF (I used WPF for this). Although, with Microsoft moving towards cross-platform. It may eventually be possible for me to write it in C# and look like a native macOS application with XForms (Xamarin Forms). So if I had designed a command line application, it could have been platform neutral (so long as the user has .NET installed, which is neither prevalent or easy).

Of course at that point why not just write it in python. I like the GUI abilities of WPF the most, so that's why I used WPF (and could also make it look pretty).
    Last edited by Sacrieur; 2016-11-14 at 12:31 PM.
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks for sharing.

My guess is, if the program had been written with the intention to distribute (even freely), cross platform may have been a consideration.
    If I create a tool for my game, as the original poster did for theirs, it is in whatever format is convenient for me.