Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The College of Legendary Steeds: A Bard Guide by StarStuff

Another suggested update: I was recently reminded that per RAW, you can True Polymorph your found steed into an object, and then True Polymorph that object into a CR9 or less creature that is still your found steed.

Young Silver Dragon mount, anyone?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Can we get a list of the preferred mounts for medium & small bards, and why they are good as part of one of the Appendixes? I am new to this Find Steed thing, and am working out one for a game next week.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Can we get a list of the preferred mounts for medium & small bards, and why they are good as part of one of the Appendixes? I am new to this Find Steed thing, and am working out one for a game next week.
    I would, but the notes would be the same as this conjurer guide.

If you're limited to the mounts named in the spell, the horse and mastiff are statistically superior that other critters of their size category.

Apologies for the delay in response. I hope everything turned out alright.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I would like to put in a mention in for magic stones. By taking a one level hexblade dip (original I know) you can grab magic stones which would give organ grinder a magical attack that is based off of your charisma. I guess its up to the DM if things like hail of thorns/lightning arrow would proc off of it but on turns where you are not using them it can be a nice use of a bonus action.

Edit(forgot the second part):Then on top of that you grab wrathful smite and shield makes grabbing a hexblade level at ECL 7 really tempting. Bonus points if your DM takes the "sentient weapon" of hexblade and juxtaposes that to the amount of damage you are doing with your steed, and would allow you to make the pact with your steed.
    Last edited by BurgerKingMan; 2019-01-07 at 10:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Came here to see whether Warding Bond was listed. Strange spell in terms of targeting, not sure how it'd work with the "share a spell" feature of Find Steed.
    Warding Bond has Range:Touch, not Range:Self. This excludes it from Find Steed dual-casting.

Find Greater Steed definitely makes this route (bard steedmaster) way stronger. Greater steeds (potentially) bring flying, massive speed, and of course a much larger HP pool. They're meant to be Tier 4 paladin boosts, but of course that makes them Tier 2 bard boosts lol

The Dragon's Breath spell is also a pretty massive boon for Find Steed. Cast it on yourself, your steed gets it too; it's not an attack action, so your steed can use it even while you're mounted. Even if you have better uses for your action, giving your steed the option to do 3d6 fire/lightning/acid/cold/poison each round, scaling with spell level, is pretty sick. It's very thematic for my dragonborn sorcadin, too. Oh and if you're a sorcerer with find familiar, you can hit your mount and twin it to hit your familiar as well, for double the fire-breathing minions.
    Sounds awesome. I'm definitely going to check these out. Unfortunately, I haven't had the patience to go back through and add content from new splatbooks. When I get around to it though, I'll be sure to credit you.

6. - Top - End - #36

PaladinGuy

Another suggested update: I was recently reminded that per RAW, you can True Polymorph your found steed into an object, and then True Polymorph that object into a CR9 or less creature that is still your found steed.

Young Silver Dragon mount, anyone?
    I made a note of this in the Shapechanger spell review. Great find!

7. - Top - End - #37

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerKingMan View Post
    I would like to put in a mention in for magic stones. By taking a one level hexblade dip (original I know) you can grab magic stones which would give organ grinder a magical attack that is based off of your charisma. I guess its up to the DM if things like hail of thorns/lightning arrow would proc off of it but on turns where you are not using them it can be a nice use of a bonus action.

Edit(forgot the second part):Then on top of that you grab wrathful smite and shield makes grabbing a hexblade level at ECL 7 really tempting. Bonus points if your DM takes the "sentient weapon" of hexblade and juxtaposes that to the amount of damage you are doing with your steed, and would allow you to make the pact with your steed.
    If you have Magic Stones and Branding Smite you maybe able to attack with Charisma and fire off a double Ranged Smite?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    If you have Magic Stones and Branding Smite you maybe able to attack with Charisma and fire off a double Ranged Smite?
    Depends on the DM, by definition of the spell throwing a rock is a spell attack so it won't normally be a target for smites. But you can load the magic stone in a sling and then It's a spell attack made with a weapon which would make it eligible for smites.

Now if organ grinder throws a magic stone it's a spell attack so no snites but he does have a rock weapon attack which can trigger the smites. It would be up to the DM to decide if organ grinder can make a spell attack with a weapon even though this specific example is not covered in the description of the spell.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I have been doing some theory-crafting with this build at level 18 when you get access to wish and I believe with two weeks of downtime you can become seto kaiba and have 5 dragons at your command. The main trick comes with true polymorph and how through multiple castings you can increase the cr of the targeted creature up to 9.

Your first (and most powerful) dragon comes from well known simulacrum shenaningans
    1) Cast wish and use it to cast simulacrum on yourself
    2) On the next day use true polymorph on the simulacrum turning it into a creature of a cr less then or equal to its level (18 in this case). I would transform into the CR 16 Adult silver dragon. To my understanding its paralysing breath makes it on par if not better then higher CR dragon picks. It would stand to reason that the true polymorph would allow you to heal your simulcarum normally since it is no longer a construct now indistinguishable from actual sentient life.

The next two follow a longer but similar path.
    1) Cast true polymorph on either your steed or greater steed and transform it into an large object (say a statue of a young silver dragon)
    2) Cast true polymorh again to transform the large object into a creature with max CR 9 and equal to or less then its size; which happens to be a young silver dragon
    3) Repeat steps 1-2 on your other steed
    According to sage advice the steeds retain their benefits of being your magical steeds/.

Now if you use one of your magical secret picks to grab create homunculus you can create yet another dragon through due to errats's on true polymorph it takes 6 days to set up the homunculus though a dragon with an always on scry effect it pretty boss
    1) Cast true polymorph on your homunculus and turn it into a creature of equal CR (in this case a vulture)
    2) Cast true polymorph on the vulture and turn it into a medium object (a statue of a silver dragon wyrmlying)
    3) Cast true polymorph on the statue and turn it into a real silver dragon wyrmling
    4) Cast true polymorph on the wyrmling and turn it into a creature of equal CR (a warhorse)
    5) Cast true polymorph on the warhorse and turn it into a large object (young silver dragon statue)
    6) Cast true polymorph on the statue and finially turn into a young silver dragon.

Now if you dipped/took a feat to gain access to find familiar you can gain access to your fifth and final dragon though as a familiar it should not be able to attack even when true polymorphed. While you can follow a similar path of the homunculus it would only be able to help or use its breath weapon on turns. I feel like for some versatility (and because their are only 4 copies of blue-eyes white dragon in existence ) I'll transform my familiar into something with some support options.
    1) Cast true polymorph on your familiar and turn it into a tiny object
    2) Cast true polymorph on your object and turn it into a violet faerie dragon

A Faerie dragon provides similar utility that a pixie provides including turning one of your dragons into a t-rex when their health is low.

Adding up all days required it takes 14 days to complete this set up. Your most powerful dragon (Adult Silver) can be made in 2 days (1 if you cast simulacrum yourself without wish). In the end your become a more powerful beast-master then the ranger could ever dream of. Of course this is so OP but if you have a chance to become master of dragons, wouldn't you take it?

10. - Top - End - #40

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerKingMan View Post
    but if you have a chance to become master of dragons, wouldn't you take it?
    I tip my hat to you, sir.

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

Tenser Transformation is a very good magical secrets if you are planning to use Find Greater Steed, even better if you have a saber-toothed tiger.
    You run up to your foe, your tiger makes two claw attacks (as per the spell), for 2d6+2d10+5 damage per claw, and the target has to make two DC14 strength saving throw. If it fails, it goes prone and your tiger can take a bite as a bonus action for 3d10+5 damage.

Then you take your two attacks for 1d8+2d10+3. Total damage is over 100 hit points in a round, with your enemy prone at the end of it.

With 5 attacks with advantage, a chance for a crit is quite high.

Bonus style points if you name your cat Cringer/Battle Cat.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2019-04-28 at 05:49 PM.