Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Post [OOC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron, III

Welcome to the third Out of Character discussion thread! We're moving into the second half of the module, and the world is going to really open up for the party. I can't wait to see how things go from here.

The OP of the recruitment thread, for posterity:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dry hilltops danced with fire.

Throughout the heart of the tall mountains between Breland and Darguun, the Seawalls, great bonfires had been kindled atop the ridges overlooking Elsir Vale. There thousands of warriors had gathered -- hobgoblins in armor dyed scarlet, thick-thewed bugbear berserkers, goblin worg riders and skirmishers and archers, clusters of enslaved kobolds, and the scaled ones as well, who often towered over the rest. For so long they had fought each other, tribe against tribe, race against race, engaged in the endless test of battle, feud, and betrayal. But tonight . . . tonight they stood together, hated enemies shoulder-to-shoulder, shouting together as brothers. And they saw that they were strong, and together they danced and sang and shook their blades at the smoke-hidden stars overhead.

"We are the Kulkor Zhul!" they shouted, and the hills shook with the thunder of their voices. "We are the People of the Dragon! Uighulth na Hargai! None can stand before us!"

One by one the tribes fell silent. Armor creaked as thousands turned to look up to the Place of Speaking. There, a single champion emerged from the assemblage and slowly climbed the ancient stone stair cut into the side of the hill. A hundred bright yellow banners stood beneath him like a phalanx of spears, each marked with a great red hand. The warpriests holding the banners chanted battle-prayers in low voices as the champion ascended.

On the hundredth step he stopped and turned to face the waiting warriors. He was tall and strong, one of the hobgoblin chieftains, but dull blue scales gleamed along his shoulders, and jutting horns swept back from his head. "I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!" he cried. "Hear me, warriors of the Kulkor Zhul! Tomorrow we march to war!"

The warriors roared their approval, stamping their feet and clashing spear to shield. Azarr Kul waited, holding his hands aloft until they quieted again. "The warpriests of the Bloody Hand have shown us the way! They have taught us honor, discipline, obedience -- and strength! No more will we waste our blood fighting each other. We will take the lands of the elf, the dwarf, the gnome, and the human, and make them ours! Under the banner of the Red Hand of Doom we march to victory and conquest! Remember that you stood here this night, warriors of Kulkor Zhul! For a hundred generations your sons and your sons' sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers -- to WAR!"

The burning hills were too small to hold the roar the Kulkor Zhul gave in answer to their warlord's call.

The 16:
    Spoiler
    Show
    System: Dungeons and Dragons Version 3.5
    Player Count: 4-6, depending on party composition and the individuals involved.
    Style of Play:
    1. Strong familiarity with the rules of the game and a decent sense of optimization. I do not want or expect hard-core min/maxed characters, but don't expect your half-elf Monk with 8 Con and 14 Int to get in.
    2. Working knowledge of Eberron. If this is your first game in Eberron, that's fine by me; just take the time to read through the Campaign Setting and perhaps the Player's Guide. If you can't take the time to do that, this game might not be for you. We'll be starting in Breland, near Kennrun.
    3. The ability to commit to a game for the long haul. Real life happens, and I understand that; but this is a long module, and the pacing of PbP games means that we're going to be doing this for years to come. Keep that in mind when designing your character; a one-trick pony is going to get boring pretty quickly.
    4. As much as I can focus on mechanics, I'm only going to care about your character if they're a person, not just a pile of mechanics. If you show me a Lion-Totem Barbarian Pounce machine, that's all I'll see, and I've seen that too many times to find it interesting.
    5. This is a combat heavy module, but a character that can only contribute in a fight is going to feel like a dead weight. I'll reiterate all over again: one trick ponies and very combat-focused characters will not get selected over well-rounded, interesting people.

Allowed Content:

• The SRD, which means Core + Psionics
    • The Eberron Campaign Setting, Player's Guide, Magic of, Faiths of, etc.
    • The "Complete" Series
    • The "Races of" Series
    • The Magic Item Compendium
    • The Spell Compendium
    • The Tome of Battle
    • The Tome of Magic (even the Truenamer. Hell, especially the Truenamer.)
    • Heroes of Horror
    • The Magic of Incarnum
    • It's Hot Outside, It's Wet Outside, It's Cold Outside, It's Not Outside (the 'Scape books)
    • Dragon Magic and the Draconomicon

If you want something else from a printed book, let me know. I have nearly every 3.5 book, I just want to be informed about anything from a book that I'm not intimately familiar with.

By the way, you'll note that Homebrew is not on that list. I didn't list it on purpose. If you can't find what you want in all of 3.5, you're not looking hard enough. (While I recognize there are some things that 3.5 doesn't cover, there is enough material for me to know already before adding Homebrew to the mix.)

Character Creation:

I would like all sheets to be hosted by Mythweavers. There might be a better site out there, but that's the one I'm used to.

• Backstory: I'm looking for anything from a paragraph to a short story. This is your chance to show me how well you write, and to get me emotionally invested in your character. Additionally, I'm going to request a physical description of your character; it should be enough that I can get a decent picture of them in my head.
    • Experience: You'll be starting at level 5. This is Eberron, so being level 5 means that you're as strong or stronger than any given Captain of the Guard in a small city. Keep that in mind when writing your backstory.
    • Wealth: WBL for level 5, which is 9000gp.
    • Ability Scores: Roll three sets of 7d8b6 seven times, then throw that away and use 32 point buy. I like equity.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Maximum hit points at first level, then half from there. For example, a level 5 Cleric will have (8)+(4.5)*(4)=(26) hit points before factoring Constitution in.
    • Alignment: Eberron is all about shades of grey. You can be an intolerant, violent Paladin of the Silver Flame or you can be a shifty, backstabbing Changeling thief; the only line I'll draw is when you can't work as a member of the group.

House Rules:
    1. Half-Elves get a extra skill points, like humans. This is because they suck as printed, but are supposed to be rather common.
    2. Fractional BAB and Saves.
    3. No Flaws, one Trait
    4. During combat, any PC that does not post for a couple days goes on autopilot.
    5. Rolls will be done in spoilers in the IC thread; yours and mine.

Other Notes:
    1. I'm going to talk about character optimization one more time. Your character should be a person, first and foremost. I've been playing this game for a while, and I know a cookie-cutter build when I see one. But on the other side of the coin, I also expect some intelligence and planning to go into your character's stats; a 5th level Fighter with a Bastard Sword and a shield is going to get killed or bored to death pretty early on.
    2. And on that line, my Eberron is a little rougher and tougher than the Eberron in your books. NPC class levels are strictly for noncombatants; don't expect Kings and Queens to have levels of Aristocrat laying around. Skilled warriors will not use the Warrior class; indeed, you should expect nearly any soldier to be a Fighter, and people with special skill will often have Martial Adept levels. My Eberron is still a mostly non-Epic world, and the biggest powerhouses usually stop around ECL 14 or so; but what they do with those levels is going to be a lot more useful than something like Aristocrat 4/ Fighter 10.
    3. I use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation as often as I can. I'm not perfect, and I will make mistakes. I'm not going to hold anyone to a higher standard than myself, but I do ask that you give me the same effort that I give you.
    4. Pull up a chair, we're about to get real. Ready? Sometimes I suck. Sometimes my girlfriend has had a terrible week and I need to spend the evening making her feel better. Sometimes I have a four month project due Tuesday, and I haven't even started it yet. Sometimes I loose my creative drive. I plan on being with this game for a long time, and I have a very solid track record as a player; but as a DM, I'm going to need the occasional push and prod to keep things moving. In that same way, I may poke players every now and then if they haven't responded; and while the pace will vary, I'd like to aim for a post a day to begin with, and hopefully more during combat. If that sounds like too much, you're probably even busier than I am, in which case I congratulate you on your medical degree and/or newborn child.
    5. I will add as a final note that if you've played this module before, don't be afraid to join up. I'm changing a lot of the module in the process of integrating it into the world of Eberron, and after we finish with the Red Hand of Doom I have big plans for what might happen next. And if you've never played this module before, awesome! You're in for a fantastic time.

Interest:

If you made it through all of that text and I haven't scared you off yet, we're going to get along just fine. Post away with any questions, ideas, or character concepts you might have, and I'll try to give everyone prompt and thorough responses. Character creation will run until next Friday, the 31st of May.

EDIT- I'm back after my weekend of science, and I'm going to want to start seeing completed sheets from people that have already posted interest. If you've remained completely silent and have a whole sheet ready to go, that's a little antisocial, but if you say something in the thread before the end of the day I won't hold it against you.

And the final party will be:

Player Character Race Class Alignment XP Level
    Crinias Isaac Caducine Human Binder
    TN
    King Tius Wrex Volaar Hobgoblin Crusader
    LG
    Hoverfrog Mina d'Lyrandar Half-Elf Artificer
    CG
    Saskia Roger the Bard Half-Elf Bard
    NG
    TheFallenOne Lavender Sinsyne Half-Elf Focused Evoker
    CN
    Malimar Scott Beardsley Dwarf Sovereign Speaker
    NG

Spoiler: XP Tracking
    Show
    Day Encounter Main Group Level Behind
    Initial 10000 6000
    Day 1 Ambush Fight 1167 1334
    Racist Guards 100 100
    Day 2 Hydra 600 650
    Day 3 Vraath Keep 3750 4040
    Amery Vraath 300 450
    Day 5 Warklegnaw 200 200
    Skull Gorge Bridge 2040 2550
    Jin 200 200
    Destroying the Bridge 760 1000
    Day 6 Giants 2700 2700
    Day 7 Assassin Vines 438 500
    Town Council Meeting 1050 1350
    Day 19 The Burning of Western Kennrun 3238 3238
    Wrex's Song 5 5
    Day 20 Diplomacy with the Tiri Kitor 500 500
    Greenspawn Razorfiend Ambush 525 525
    Hostage Rescue from the Roadblock 1500 1500
    Clash with Tribal Lizardfolk 600 758

Spoiler: Event Tracking
    Show
    Day 1
    Monday, Lharvion 2nd
    Ambush Fight on the Road
    Racist Guard Encounter
    Meeting at Town Hall
    Meeting the Town's Luminaries
    Acquiring Lavender (Maybe Day 2, can't recall)

Day 2
    More Stuff in Kennrun
    Walking to the Keep
    Hydra Battle

Day 3
    The Battle of Vraath Keep
    A Conversation with Amery Vraath

Day 4
    Rest and Relaxation at Vraath Keep

Day 5
    Walking to the Bridge
    A Conversation with Warklegnaw
    The Battle of Skull Gorge Bridge
    A Conversation with Jin

Day 6
    Destroying the Bridge
    Walking to the Keep
    The Second Battle of Vraath Keep
    Acquiring Scott

Day 7
    Walking to Kennrun
    Assassin Vine Battle
    Finding the Body of Jorr
    Arrival in Kennrun
    War Council

Day 8
    Downtime 1

Day 9
    Downtime 2

Day 10
    Downtime 3

Day 11
    Downtime 4
    Lope Brings Mina's Letter

Day 12
    Downtime 5
    Soranna Gifts a Chain
    Isaac Receives a Dire Message

Day 13
    Downtime 6
    Sertieren Leaves for Starilaskur
    Derny Makes a Request
    Norro Gifts a Cap

Day 14
    Downtime 7

Day 15
    Downtime 8

Day 16
    Downtime 9

Day 17
    Downtime 10

Day 18
    Downtime 11

Day 19
    Friday, Lharvion 20th
    End of Downtime
    The Burning of Western Kennrun

Day 20
    Rollin' on the River
    Meeting with the Tiri Kitor
    Greenspawn Razorfiend Ambush
    Hostage Rescue at the Roadblock

Day 21
    Clash with Tribal Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Houserules
    Show
    This list is updated as things become relevant.

1. Half-Elves get extra skill points in the same way humans do.
    2. Fractional BAB and saves.
    3. No Flaws allowed, but one Trait is.
    4. We use group Initiative. That means that I roll initiative for the party, then for the hostile NPCs, then for the friendly NPC's, and the party can post in whatever initiative order they like.
    5. Binders receive the Improved Binding feat as a bonus feat as long as they have more levels in Binder than any other base class.
    6. Binders can use action points to accelerate their binding times, as with Artificers and infusions.

Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2018-01-27 at 03:21 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron, III

Hey all!

Reconstituting loot list!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Yet to be processed
    Show

All accounted for, Cap'n!

Spoiler: Arms and Equipment
    Show

2 +1 Longswords

20 Masterwork Composite longbows (Str +1.
    3 Masterwork composite longbows (Str +2)
    14 Masterwork Longswords
    2 Masterwork Shortswords
    1 Masterwork bastard sword
    3 Small Masterwork Shortbows
    3 Small Shortswords

6 Composite Longbows (Str +1)
    7 Longswords
    6 Longbows
    3 Steel Heavy Shields
    4 Banded Mail
    4 sets Banded Mail
    4 Heavy Steel Shields
    1 Greataxe

1,720 Arrows
    3 Bucklers

1 +1 Commander Mithral Chainmail
    2 +1 Shortswords
    1 +1 Banded Mail
    2 +1 Breastplate
    1 +1 Studded Leather Armor
    1 +1 Easy Travel Mithral Chainshirt (MIC 10)

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show

Divine, Invisibility

Spoiler: Potions and Alchemy
    Show

8 Cure Light Wounds
    17 Cure Moderate Wounds
    1 Lesser Restoration

3 Potions of Bull's Strength
    1 Protection from Elements
    5 Protection from Fire
    1 Blur
    1 Haste
    1 Invisibility

1 Shillelagh Oil
    1 Poison, as the "Potion of Poison" cursed item.

5 Alchemist's Fires
    1 Water with a hint of mint and honey

Spoiler: Currency and Miscellany
    Show

The Deed to Vrath Keep
    6 pearls of unknown value, nonmagical
    355 gp in platinum, gold, and silver
    Jewelery and coins worth around 3500 gp total
    Four one-pound mithral bars
    Platinum and gems worth roughly 2300 gp
    126gp in various denominations
    487 gp, in gold and platinum.
    Bag of gems, unknown value.

Spoiler: Staves and Wands
    Show

A Staff of Life with 7 charges.
    Divine wand of Hold Person
    Divine wand of Shatter
    Arcane wand of Darkness
    Arcane wand of Mirror Image

Spoiler: Wondrous Items
    Show

Third Eye Clarity (MIC 141)
    12 dull gray ioun stones
    Magical Scabbard
    Bracers of Armor +1
    Bracers of Armor +3
    Artificer's Monocle
    Soul Lens
    Vestige Phylactery
    Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault, Fire
    2 Least Crystals of Arrow Deflection (MIC)
    Ring of Protection +1
    Ring of Protection +2
    Amulet of Natural Armor +1
    Amulet of Health +2
    Ring of Sustenance
    Ring of Jumping +5
    This above all: To thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yay on the Thunderclap. Doh! on the Orb.

You really pinpointed the last OOC thread with exactly 1500 posts, just one more and we'd have reached the dreaded 51st page. I was so ready to post a Doom Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm late to the party. Sorry! The map isn't showing for me in the OOC, so I'm not entirely sure if Wrex has room to rush in. Am I within striking distance?

Starting Maneuvers:
    (1d5)[5] = Divine Surge
    (1d4)[1] = Charging Minotaur
    Last edited by King Tius; 2016-11-30 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King Tius View Post
    I'm late to the party. Sorry! The map isn't showing for me in the OOC, so I'm not entirely sure if Wrex has room to rush in. Am I within striking distance?
    Isn't he flying with a reach weapon now?
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    Isn't he flying with a reach weapon now?
    You know, I hit the dead map and didn't even bother reading everyone's posts yet. Fly DOES take care of that problem!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I hit the dead map and didn't even bother reading everyone's posts yet. Fly DOES take care of that problem!
    Yay, I'm useful!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Yay, I'm useful!
    Shame I rolled a 1 on that 47 damage I would have done......
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Shame I rolled a 1 on that 47 damage I would have done......

You would have put it into the negatives, too, with Isaac's damage.

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I hear ya bro, that razorfiend really lucked out on our attack rolls there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    I hear ya bro, that razorfiend really lucked out on our attack rolls there.
    I'm pleased. You guys need a good roughing up.

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

There's always next round.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to share this for no reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to share this for no reason.
    I accept this, for an equal number of reasons.

LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, it looks like the map picture never went live in that last update. I feel like a fool, but I've corrected the problem, and I'm working on the next update now. Yay, battling!

EDIT- Also, it seems that Isaac took his readied action, but has not actually acted for this round. He'll get Roger's Inspire Courage boost, though, so we'll say the waiting was tactical.

LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good heavens, look at the time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crinias View Post
    Good heavens, look at the time.
    Isaac is suddenly wearing a cowboy hat. No one can quite say where it came from, but it certainly suits him.

LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #18

Isaac is suddenly wearing a cowboy hat. No one can quite say where it came from, but it certainly suits him.
    I'm onto you, Sombra Jin.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm onto you, Sombra Jin.
    I'm glad you remember my mysterious NPC's. That one in particular has been rather active since you last saw her, though whether she's been working for good or ill I cannot say...

LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Nice shootin', Tex.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

As a note, the greenspawn razorfiend is perched 10 feet off the groung in the trees, and does not appear to have adequate wing structure to fly, simply make prodigious leaps.

LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

As a note, the greenspawn razorfiend is perched 10 feet off the groung in the trees, and does not appear to have adequate wing structure to fly, simply make prodigious leaps.
    Ah, I see. Now I know!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

My whole "leap into action when I get back from my honeymoon" plan did not work the way I intended.

To give the general tale: I was on my honeymoon, and then we got stuck for about two and a half extra days in New York City. That would have been fun, except for the whole "paying for a surprise hotel in New York for two days" thing. That meant that I ended up missing two days of work I hadn't accounted for on top of the week I had already taken off, and I was jetlagged, and got some sort of illness from the hours and hours of airplane time. When we got back my wife's car broke down and our bathroom flooded, just to keep things interesting. I have been a zombie this week, essentially. I've gotten the mess mostly picked up and put back together, so I'm back and will be properly posting now; but the games where I'm a player will have to take precedence, for guilt reasons.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Can we use the weapon of guilt on you to overpower the games where you are a player? What if we say that we have sad faces? What if we explain how news of a delay has caused a single, salty tear to leak from the corner of my eye into my beard? Will that change your priorities?

Kidding, we're happy to eat from the crumbs that you feed to us.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

To be fair, me, Tius and Saskia have all been lagging a bit in posting. I'll get around to doing that today.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Can we use the weapon of guilt on you to overpower the games where you are a player? What if we say that we have sad faces? What if we explain how news of a delay has caused a single, salty tear to leak from the corner of my eye into my beard? Will that change your priorities?

Kidding, we're happy to eat from the crumbs that you feed to us.
    Well get your beard ready, because this semester you're getting cake rather than crumbs.

LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, me, Tius and Saskia have all been lagging a bit in posting. I'll get around to doing that today.
    Guilty as charged. I got real busy in October and never really recovered. Trying to crawl back on!

Wrex Reflex Save: (1d20+4)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Guilty as charged. I got real busy in October and never really recovered. Trying to crawl back on!

Wrex Reflex Save: [roll0]
    He lives! Huzzah! I'll update tonight, then. I look forward to smashing you guys with ogres.

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I realized we are down one Saskia and one Crinias. You guys around? Because I'm alive again.

LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #30

I realized we are down one Saskia and one Crinias. You guys around? Because I'm alive again.
    Sorry, I was getting distracted by my Depression(tm). I posted, though I will probably change vestiges real soon cause just reloading and attacking over and over every round is too monotonous.