A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Venaria: An Unexpected Letter (OoC)

This is an invite only game. If you have been contacted, please read the information below and decide if this is the right game for you!

The Game

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5 Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    The game will take place in the world of Venaria. You can read about it here.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Four players, no alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Giant in the Playground.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    All characters begin with 10,000 exp and start at level 5.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Wealth by level. (9,000 gp)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    This game uses a list of allowed classes, all of which have been slightly modified and given a bonus depending on your race. [Link]

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    This is an all human game, but there is unique list of human variants. [Link]

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    All character creation guidelines can be found here. [Link]

All character sheets will be managed on Myth-Weavers.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes, any non-evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi-classing is allowed and the normal penalties are waved.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll their own die. Occasionally I may roll some perception based checks for a player, but those rolls will be few and far between.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    All house rules can be found here. [Link]

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Backstory is required, however it does not have to be incredibly in-depth. You may choose to substitute or supplement your backstory with the 10-minute Background.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    All of the above, though there is an underlying plot, how the game is played will be largely player driven.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    All 3.5 material is allowed, so long as it doesn't conflict with the above!

Spoiler: Character Hook
    Show

As you finish the letter, you turn around to see a man in a black hood brandishing a wicked dagger! Dispatching him in your own manner, you look down once more at your letter. Where the writing once was, it now only reads "Good Luck".

Spoiler: Post Format
    Show
    In character posts should be formatted like the example below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Example
    John Smith
    Adventurer's Guild, Windfall City

"Character speech should be distinct and easy to read, representing your character’s speech, preferably a color different from other characters in the game." The characters other actions are often written as part of the paragraph, as if in a novel. Character thoughts may or may not be colored, and are displayed through italics.

Separating by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks is a good idea. Strive to not post “one-liners.” That is, don’t simply post ‘John Smith attacks the goblin.’ That’s boring. Try to weave in some narrative. ‘John Smith ducks under the goblin’s hammer, easily sidestepping the crude swipe. His ornate mace slams against the goblin’s head, delivering a powerful smite in the name of Thor.’ This is by no means quality material, but it is a step in the right direction.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    This is where all out of character comments that are pertinent to your current actions should be placed. Example: "Does my character have line of sight on the monster?" or "Are there any noticeable signs of combat?"

Spoiler: Battle Actions
    Show

This is where you place all the mechanical actions you take during combat.

Please note any stances, active buffs, or the like similarly to the example below.
    Remember: Character X is in the Island of Blades stance.

When you roll to attack, please note the iterative, weapon, and all special properties. I would also appreciate if you rolled your critical confirm and damage at the same time. That way, in the event you do crit, we can tack on the extra damage without creating an extra post in the OoC or IC threads. It will save us time in the long run and I think it will speed the game up.
    Attack One (Cutlass)
    [roll0]
    Damage
    [roll1] (Slashing/Magical)
    Critical Confirm (On 15-20)
    [roll2]
    Critical Damage
    [roll3]

Attack Two (Cutlass)
    [roll4]
    Damage
    [roll5] (Slashing/Magical)
    Critical Confirm (On 15-20)
    [roll6]
    Critical Damage
    [roll7]

In-Character Thread

Table of Players
    Username Character Race Sheet Theme Song
    Draconium Masika Dunefolk Rogue <Insert Theme Here>
    LairdMaon Tunstall Northerner Fighter The Hammer of Thor
    Thokk_Smash Ronan Wilder Ranger Run Boy Run
    Snowbluff Caerulea Shunned Cleric <Insert Theme Here>
    Xgya Molly Nettles Imperial Spellthief <Insert Theme Here>

Spoiler: Background Index
    Show

Spoiler: Molly Nettles
    Show
    Spoiler: Step 1: concept and background
    Show
    - Third generation of immigrant Imperials, raised in the desert
    - Skilled storyteller, lover of children
    - Exceptional senses, but jittery at anything that manages to foil them
    - Unknown draconic origins
    - Absolutely hates necromancy, and shuns people that control minds as a way of life

Spoiler: Step 2: Character Goals
    Show
    - Meet a dragon and manage to chat with it about her own heritage
    - Discover why her family was forced to dwell so far away from Imperial cities

Spoiler: Step 3: Secrets about the character
    Show
    - Her ancestry ties back to brown dragons, not entirely known for their friendliness, yet she still wants to see one (known)
    - Her great-great-grandfather was considered an abomination because he was a half-dragon. This is the reason her family had to leave. That fact still causes shame to them, which is the reason she ignores it.(unknown)
    - Her great-great-great-grandfather (a true dragon) yet lives under the desert.(unknown)

Spoiler: Step 4: People connected to the character
    Show
    - Her mother still lives in the desert of her childhood, even though Molly moved away to greener pastures since.
    - Aussermarkoxkirxmarkataal, her most recent dragon ancestor, lives under the desert, but decides on a whim whether he'll protect or devour people of his bloodline. He is responsible for her father's death, and might seek to know her (or worse, depending on his mood).
    - Sevri, a local innkeep that took her in recently, has grown quite fond of her. The rude woman welcomes her company and the neverending desert-themed stories she crafts.

Spoiler: Step 5: Memories the character has
    Show
    - She remembers a stern visitor that would often come to her house and teach her neat tricks. He wore a face mask, but his voice was coarse as the desert.
    - Her memories of her first encounter with an animated dead remain imprinted in her mind. The necromancer responsible for this desecration died of repeated stab wounds as she yelped out in horror.
    - The visitor came home one day, saying her training was done, and that she had to leave for her own safety. Her mother cried, saying she could "fix it". She left on the masked one's urge the following night, never to return

Spoiler: Tunstall
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.
    • His greathammer is a creation of the combined efforts of his mother and himself.
    • He refers to allies using pack terminology.
    • Everyone of a different religion is a stray in his mind.
    • His Tainted Soul comes from the manner of his birth.
    • He may not be looking for fane and fortune, but he won't turn it down!

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character.
    • Discover knowledge about his parentage.
    • Prove that Jareth's disappearance isn't just more Illusion magic.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.
    • (Known) His father was the type to hide the merc group's treasures for safe keeping.
    • (Unknown) His birth mother is still around and in control of her own wits. (alive or undead is up to GM)

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
    • (Friendly) His Ma, whose name (Brigd) carries weight all around the North.
    • (Friendly) Wanfel, the traveler. Wanfel always has stories to tell of the places he's been.
    • (Hostile) Frontl, a holyman in the North who holds a grudge against Tunstall's Pa. He believed Brigd should have been his woman and has passed the grudge down to Tunstall.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
    • (Memory) The pain from the first healing spell cast on him.
    • (Mannerism)
    • (Quirk)

Spoiler: Caerulea
    Show

5 Background and Concept
    1) Caerulea is a cowardly, manipulative enchantress.
    2) She would rather be doing research than whatever boring quest she is on now.
    3) Caerulea was once an apprentice and an important mage, and researched enchantments for a living.
    4) Her master was killed in a horrible accident.
    5) Caerulea fried her own brain with her enchanting skills and hypnosis, because she could not handle the stress of her work after her master's death.

2 Goals to accomplish

1) To finally surpass her master, and maybe even the archmage of enchantment
    2) Become a good people person. And by "people person" she means have a huge number of connections.

2 Secrets
    1) Her master was working on human experimentation, before he was killed by a faction working on similiar projects.
    2) Caerulea is not her real name. Even though she does her best to hide it, she was a Shunned name Blanche Pippington.

3 People

1) "Master?! Oh, you're dead, aren't you?"
    2) Pet, her familiar. Pet's behavior has really gotten out of hand. He keeps making horrible suggestions.
    3) Crosser, another mage who was using human test subjects to research spells, and was responsible for the "accident."

3 Memories

1) The horrible, incessant screaming of the test subjects. Blanche was a kind soul, who couldn't see anyone hurt. However, she could not help them, because that would risk getting herself thrown into the cages and experimented on.
    2) The accident, and the subsequently rewriting her own personality and wiping away as many bad memories as possible. However, some things stuck, no matter how hard she tried.
    3) Manipulating a government office in order to creature a new life for herself as an Imperial names "Caerulea."

Spoiler: Masika
    Show
    Background/Concept
    1: Masika was born in the Walking Wastes, but her family moved to Felspire when she was a baby.
    2: She was orphaned at a young age due to a deal gone south with the local mafia/Thieves' Guild.
    3: She was instructed in the thieves' art by the Guild, which took her in after the accident to use her.
    4: She eventually escaped the Guild and made her way as far from their influence as she could, all the way to Dawngate.
    5: She was nearly dead from disease and starvation when she arrived in Dawnguard, but was saved by a Imperial Paladin named Aleah.

Goals
    1: To take down Felspire's Thieves' Guild.
    2: To repay the Paladin that saved her life.

Secrets
    1: (Known) Masika's mother was once a Paladin of Dawngate, but betrayed them for reasons unknown.
    2: (Unknown) The head of the Thieves' Guild, Don Calbari, is actually her birth father.

Three People
    1: Don Calbari, the head of the Thieves' Guild that orphaned her as a child.
    2: Aleah, the Paladin that nursed her back to health in Dawnguard. Masika hasn't seen her since.
    3: Simon, a semi-notorious fence that Masika has worked with before, and helped smuggle her out of Felspire under the Guild's nose.

Memories/Mannerisms/Quirks
    1: The deal gone south that ended with her mother's death. To this day, she still has trouble sleeping at night because of it.
    2: Her first successful theft, and the thrill she felt from getting away with it.
    3: The night she arrived in Dawngate, nearly dead, only for a mysterious woman to heal her wounds.

Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2017-01-20 at 04:18 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Venaria: An Unexpected Letter (OoC)

Hi guys!

I'm working on a Northerner Fighter with a huge hammer and self healing.

He is dedicated to the Wolves and sees things through wolfish eyes. He will be warm and friendly to those in his pack.

He is Tunstall.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

*crashes in through the ceiling*

Hello there! Why yes, I meant to do that. Anyways, I'm thinking of building either a Barbarian or Paladin, depending on what my mood is. I was thinking about being a Northerner as well, but I don't want to have too many people in the party be the same race, so not for sure yet. And... Yeah, that's all I've got for now.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

4. - Top - End - #4

Welcome, welcome! No rush to build characters. Thanksgiving is coming up and I know some people are busier this week than others.

Bill is really busy, so he's TBD until he gets a moment of time. Like I said, no rush!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You may take the feat Extra Spell (Complete Arcane, Page 79) to learn any one spell from 3.5 edition.
    These rules are so sadistic...
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #6

These rules are so sadistic...
    I just added in a small clause to it, so you can learn any spell up to your highest level spell slot, as opposed to one level below your highest spell slot. But yes, the character creation is limited.

I told Snow in a PM, but I'll tell you all as well. Don't go into the game expecting to fight crazy optimized monsters or unwinnable encounters. The creation rules are limiting, but note that nearly everything else will be following similar or even harsher rules. Commoners are truly commoners. Monsters aren't all initiators and court mages aren't always astounding.

Humans with PC level power or above are nearly non-existent, so don't worry about every NPC outshining you because your options have been limited.

Edit:
    Spellcasters definitely saw serious nerfs in these rules, but this is a really low-magic setting. The "Extra Spell" rule was put in place to symbolize your own study or development of a new or obscure spell. Chances of you finding another magic user in the entire world with the same "Extra Spell" as you, is next to none.

Double Edit:
    If there is something oddball you'd like to qualify for, like an obscure 3rd edition feat that requires you to be a Kobold born on the 4th day of August 1989, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Triple Edit:
    Should you choose to hire extra help to the party, I'll be using "LoyalPaladin's Hireling System" to generate random hireable NPC's for your party. There is a general standard among Venarian adventurers, that a Conditions of Engagement must be signed before anyone takes on a quest or hireling position.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-11-22 at 02:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Yay... now what about my reserve feats? Should I cheese some heighten spell?

I'm thinking about a build. I'll make Caerulea.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #8

Yay... now what about my reserve feats?
    What about them?

Should I cheese some heighten spell?
    Play nice.

I'm thinking about a build. I'll make Caerulea.
    I'm cool with whatever character you want to build, so long as they follow the given character creation guidelines and they don't make Draconium breath fire all over my notes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    What about them?
    Play nice.
    Their scaling is jacked pretty downwards... hmmmmmmmmmmm... HHMMMMMMM...

I'm cool with whatever character you want to build, so long as they follow the given character creation guidelines and they don't make Draconium breath fire all over my notes.
    I want to see draco burn your notes.

10. - Top - End - #10

Their scaling is jacked pretty downwards... hmmmmmmmmmmm... HHMMMMMMM...
    I told you not to worry about being totally overpowered by everything that crosses your path.

I mean, especially if you look at my hireling chart. There aren't many PC equivalent things in Venaria and most of the things that are close-ish to a PC aren't all that great.

Then I'd have to rewrite it as a no-magic setting to prevent further burnings... and no one wants that.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-11-22 at 03:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I told you not to worry about being totally overpowered by everything that crosses your path.

I mean, especially if you look at my hireling chart. There aren't many PC equivalent things in Venaria and most of the things that are close-ish to a PC aren't all that
    I'm more worried about being able to do anything in a fight. I'm devoting considerable resources for mentalist stuff, and it's not like I'm a bard despite having the slots, so I neee something that isn't spells and isn't melee to do in a fight. So I'm working on it.

Worst case scenario I play Caerulea like the dirty coward she is, so I'm banking on RP XP. :p

FYI: clerics are broken, too. They don't get domain slots so I don't think they can actually cast their domain spells... I'll have to dig for even that...
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-11-22 at 03:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

So, am I just a disposal system to you guys or something?

Then I'd have to rewrite it as a no-magic setting to prevent further burnings... and no one wants that.
    And you do realize that there are perfectly mundane ways to burn your campaign notes?

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm building a shunned cleric named Caerulea. She'll have the charm domain and the trickery domain, and will be the party face.

And Draco do you mean like banging rocks together? Like a savage? I'll stick to magic, thanks... :p
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-11-22 at 04:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm more worried about being able to do anything in a fight. I'm devoting considerable resources for mentalist stuff, and it's not like I'm a bard despite having the slots, so I neee something that isn't spells and isn't melee to do in a fight. So I'm working on it.
    Play a spellthief. They get inspire courage. Hahaha.

Worst case scenario I play Caerulea like the dirty coward she is, so I'm banking on RP XP. :p
    This is a viable option too.

FYI: clerics are broken, too. They don't get domain slots so I don't think they can actually cast their domain spells... I'll have to dig for even that...
    I think it's a reasonable assumption to just add the +1 after their spells/day.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    So, am I just a disposal system to you guys or something?
    No, you're a hand-held dragon powered rocket cannon.

And you do realize that there are perfectly mundane ways to burn your campaign notes?
    Shhhhh.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I actually would play a spellthief but then I'd have less charms per day. I got some funny things going on now. 7 more levels and I can take clarion commander to go with combat panache and trickery devotion!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1016892

Domain spell slots are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-11-22 at 04:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1016892

Domain spell slots are much appreciated.
    Table updated.

You just added the +1, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall, wip

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1016570

Background coming soon. It'll be mysterious and heart warming!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Tunstall, wip

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1016570

Background coming soon. It'll be mysterious and heart warming!
    Added to the table!

Bill has officially declined the game. I will return with another lamb for slaughter player!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh... I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a good concept for my character that A) I'd like to play and B) doesn't step too much on Laird's character's toes. And I can't think of any other classes that I would have fun playing in this setting. I hate it when I get all excited for something like this, only to run smack into a huge mental roadblock when the time comes, you know?

Extended Signature Link

20. - Top - End - #20

Ugh... I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a good concept for my character that A) I'd like to play and B) doesn't step too much on Laird's character's toes. And I can't think of any other classes that I would have fun playing in this setting. I hate it when I get all excited for something like this, only to run smack into a huge mental roadblock when the time comes, you know?
    You could go all multi-class like? Of note, you benefit from racial bonus for any class you have levels in.

This is a really low magic setting, so it wouldn't be unheard of to have two two-handers, if that's what you're worried about.

Edit:
    There will be plenty of world exploration, by the way. So prepare for that. Much of the world is undeveloped and unmapped!
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-11-22 at 05:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Please. Never, EVER, worry about stepping in my toes. I wear steel-toe boots.

I welcome you to play whatever you want even if it uses my same stats and concept. The fluff will make the difference :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Table updated.

You just added the +1, right?
    I haven't set up my spell slots yet. I usually do my decisions for doing things like tallying hp or spell slots.

Speaking of, I have the mentor feat. Can I have a little orphan girl I forget to feed as my apprentice?
    Ranger type guy plox. Caerulea isn't equipped for the wilds.

23. - Top - End - #23

Xgya should be showing up here at some point. He's looking at an Imperial Spellthief.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Indeed, I am!

I'll be making a character sheet shortly.

Most likely will prefer diplomacy to evisceration.

Treat him/her (not decided on THAT part yet).

Can I play a dragonborn? Is the template available?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post

Most likely will prefer diplomacy to evisceration.
    dats me dough.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello to our newcomer!

By the way, I've decided on what to play. I'm gonna be a Rogue. A straight-up backstabbing (not to the party) Rogue. This is gonna be a new experience for me.

Extended Signature Link

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Welcome to the Game, Xgya!

Don't worry about making things dead, I'm sure we will all paste our fair shares of bad guys. I'm hoping for a couple solid "pink mist" results myself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

LP honey can I have my orphan?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Hello to our newcomer!

By the way, I've decided on what to play. I'm gonna be a Rogue. A straight-up backstabbing (not to the party) Rogue. This is gonna be a new experience for me.
    You can flank with my duplicate :p

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    Can I play a dragonborn? Is the template available?
    As cool as Dragonborn is, I've got no templates under character creation and metallic dragons are pretty rare! Sorry, Xgya!

Woohoo! I've actually never been a straight-up rogue before.

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Don't worry about making things dead, I'm sure we will all paste our fair shares of bad guys. I'm hoping for a couple solid "pink mist" results myself.
    May the dice be ever in your favor.

LP honey can I have my orphan?
    I'm not overly keen on the whole "extra NPC floating around" dynamic, but I'd let you have an orphan you keep at a village or something. Not so much to roam around the land... the wilds are no place for a child! That's child abuse.