Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pol Detson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    White Tower, scrying chamber
    - Preparation to planeshift..
    …10…9…8…

    Citadel Mitrul, war room
    All mages gathered in the room were nervous. The alarm was pro forma, but the first planar shift was historical event and everyone wanted to witness it..
    …7…6...5...
    - Everything’s ready, warmaster – young abjurer reported – now we need to wait..


    Pyramid of Eyes, inner sanctuary
    …4…3...2..
    - The moment we are been waiting for. High Exarch will be pleased.
    -One step closer to t..
    - We all know it. Please, spare us the sermon.

    Fearless’ captain bridge

    ...1...0...

    Sebastian Mercier sat in the captain's chair when the reality winked out and weave of oppressive heat hit the Fearless. The next second Planar Adaptation Array compensated for the Plane of Fire hostile environment.

    The captain bridge was wonder build by diviners of Pyramid. The crystal dome showed in real time three-hundred-and-sixty-degree view around Fearless. On command, it could zoom on the chosen spot with better accuracy than any eye-glass Sebastian held in his life.

    Now it showed breath-taking, impossibly bright sky and endless, churning ocean of lava below.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-11-26 at 01:24 AM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Sebastian Mercier sat in his chair for a moment to compose himself. He was completely overwhelmed by the images he saw from the bridge. Perhaps he was a simpleton at heart, but he felt as though he needed to see this for himself. He looked to one of the lesser officers on deck.
    "Once we are stable, tell any crew that can leave their station to gather on deck, I wish to address them in person."

    He waited a moment longer fiddling with the signet ring his mother gave to him long ago. Sebastian exited the command deck, and climbed atop the highest vantage point that still overlooked the main deck.
    He stood there letting the hot air rush past his face. Though the ship would protect him, the air still felt unnaturally hot, and impossibly dry. It was unlike anything he had ever felt before, and it excited him. This was the feeling of freedom, this was the feeling of adventure. It had been too long since Sebastian had even flew on a skyship let alone captained one, and the experience made him smile broadly. It cracked through the demeanor of stern calmness he wanted to project despite his best intentions.

    He awaited for the crew to assemble, and mentally prepared himself for his coming addressment.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2016-11-22 at 06:18 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    OOC: Ninja ex postfacto
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-11-22 at 03:43 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pol Detson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Fearless, captain bridge

    The young officer - Navigator Aoife Varalia - was redhead, but extremely talented and competent with all magical items.
    "Sir, we are stable. All systems are working. I'll consult the charts and instrument to plot the course to the primary objective." she reported.

    "Sir, yes sir!" one of the soldiers saluted and marched to inform everyone about captain' order.

    Fearless' Arcane Laboratory


    The informal custodian of the lab - an awakened reven Nav conteplated the mess of early launch. The current manifestation of the mess was big, iron-wrought chest sitting in the smouldering ruin of perfectly good table.

    The chest contained several magical items, potions, scrolls and wands assigned to the Fearless crew. It was also protected by custom wards and the key wasn't on the ship, because someone managed to displace it. The first try was unsuccessful. What was worse, the captain wanted all of the crew, including artificers, on main deck.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Yes, you have additional gear for the expedition. If you menage to break into the chest without destroying all of it.



    Fearless Main Deck


    Eigra stood on deck, waiting for the captains' speech and her mind wandered back to the last night' dream. A intensely clear vision. Narrow bridge over sea of lava guarded by black dragon. But Eigra didn't feel threatened by the monster, no, the sense of danger came from flames and molten rock. The bridge was not a bridge, it was a hundred blades fitted together to make a scoffold. The dragon spoke of gold, and gold and gold...


    The crew assembled, more than hundred men and women awaiting captain Sebastian Mercier words. The excited artificers, somber clerics and wizards, silent and disciplined soldiers lined in perfect formations like on parade.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-11-22 at 03:34 PM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "There's no use, we're going to have to break in," Nev notes, almost sad at the thought. Then again, it was a nice piece of worksmanship... which was also a large part of the reason it was a problem. And part of the reason she was currently perched on the chest's lid.

    "Smashing it might work, but only if we really want to shatter all the potions... hm. You, " gesturing to a first artificer with a wing, "go ask around the other spellcasters. We'll need everyone that's prepared a Dispel Magic today. Then you, " and a second, "see if there's anyone on the crew that knows how to pick locks. And if not, grab a couple of the strongest regular crew you can find, and some crowbars. We'll use the Dispel Magics to keep the wards inactive, and then pick or break our way in while they're down."

    As the message-bearing soldier arrived, she nodded in their direction. "Yes, like that one. Just need a couple more..." But she was interrupted by the message.

    "Ah, right, up on deck, everyone. Hmm... this might work out, after all. If everyone's gathering up there, we should be able to grab our volunteers all at once!"

    With that, Nev launched herself off the chest lid, and lead the way up towards the deck. Flight got her around fast enough that the crew hadn't all made it up when she arrived (she could outfly her colleagues, at the very least), so she had time to pick herself a nice railing spot to perch on, and stare out at the new plane they'd found themselves in.

    KRAA!

    Humans used flags to announce 'I claim this land!'. Ravens used signature calls. And while even Nev would admit the flags lasted longer (unless you tried planting them in the infinite lava sea...), the call was a lot more satisfying.

    Besides, she was the first Raven who ever got to give her call on the Plane of Fire. Probably. Such a ...shiny... plane it was, too! She had to keep reminding herself she couldn't take it and decorate her nest* with it. No, not even a little bit. Lava tended not to play well with nests. Or Ravens, for that matter.

    But the deck was still filling up, so she reluctantly turned around on her railing, and watched the bridge.



    *Nev's nest being a wicker basket a little larger than she is, lined with what appears to be a cut down portion of a duvet, and perched on a shelf in the workshop. Let's be honest, she'd be lost in a regular bed!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Talenel Alendi stands perched on the tall ledge, looking out over the city. Nearly six hundred feet away, pulling out of port, is the Fearless. Taln would feel awed at the majestic sight if he wasn't so nervous. Ayr, this is about the time you tell me that this is a stupid idea, right? he thinks to his psicrystal, who was nestled in his pocket.

    Yes, sir, traditionally that time would be about now. However, this time, I'm as on-board with this as you are.

    Great. Let's get started.

    Taln then backs up to the far edge of the building. Without further ado, he runs forward and leaps off the building. The wind whips at his face, his cloak billows behind him. Below him, a couple hundred feet down, are those who came to see the Fearless' first launch. As he falls, the people below start pointing to him, shouting for others to get out of the way. Then, when Taln is only 20 feet off the ground, he snaps his fingers. Suddenly, he disappears- and re-appears 480 feet away. He falls for a bit more, then stabilizes and floats for a few seconds. He looks out at the ship, and sees a sphere of energy beginning to form around it. Crap! We've gotta go. It's already begun the jump!

    Without spending any more time thinking, Taln keeps flies to his target, using teleports along the way. By his estimate, he had about 10 seconds to get to the ship. 3 seconds passed. 5 seconds. 7 seconds. As the ninth second passed, Taln passed through the spherical cloud of energy surrounding the ship. Exhausted, he fell to the deck. He lay there for a few seconds, dazed, before getting up to find a small crowd around him. He dusts himself off, then looks to someone who looks to be of fairly high ranking. Ahem. Erm, do you happen to know where I could find Sebastian Mercier?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perhaps sneak wasn't quite the right word.
    In getting aboard the ship, I used:
    3 second-level spells (Fight, swift) (one used to stop my falling, the other two for movement)
    My Lesser Dragonmark of Passage (Dimension Door)
    Both uses of my Least Dragonmark of Passage (Dimension Leap)
    That moves me 640 ft, enough to get to the ship.
    Spoiler: Also, an image for Taln
    Show



    This is about the closest I could find to an image of him. Taln doesn't usually have a hood up, and his eyes don't glow. Also, he uses a two-handed sword, as opposed to the one-hander in the picture.

    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2016-11-22 at 07:17 PM.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    Before they transit:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Eigra cases Magic Vestment on herself, using her Rod of Extend. She will use divine spell power to try and increase the effect.

    Divine Power check: (1d20+11)[12]
    -1 turn undead
    She will do the same with Resist Energy (Fire), though without the extending
    Divine Power check: (1d20+11)[21]
    -1 turn undead


    After the transit:

    Eigra is shocked from her reverie by the ocean of lava below. She steps sharply away from the rail. She can already feel her full plate warming around her, but she feels a chill - fire being one of the few things that can easily injure her. She will have to consider the dream more closely later (parts seem clear, parts still obscure. But then that's always the way.) For now events on deck provide a welcome distraction from the fire all around. She smiles as she recognizes the raven - Nev? - who seems to run things in the lab, and then she sees a hubbub around a figure she doesn't recall being there just before transit.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Spoiler: Spot/Sense Motive
    Show
    This is to see if I notice Talenel's daring boarding, or notice the people staring at him to be out of place.
    Spot:(1d20+10)[28]
    Sense Motive:(1d20+10)[28]

    Sebastian stood there watching the crew gather on the large open deck. He saw Nev and remembered hearing that the ex-familiar of one of his uncles would be on board. Sebastian had never met any of his family, and was curious as to what they were like. However, he had waited long enough, any more standing up here staring at the crew and they would think him mad.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perform (Oratory)(1d20+14)[17]

    "Crew of the skyship Fearless! Congratulations on becoming the first known people of our plane to come here, to this land of fire and magma. I am your captain, Sebastian Mercier previously of the skyship Endless Horizon." He looked down at the hilt of his sword, Lightning's Edge, given to him by Gerard.

    "As you may know I was never a member of Selcheress' navy, I was never a member of her army, I was a free captain. I never sailed under any rules, save the rules me and my crew held to one-another. For many of you, this may be very different to what you are used to, but it is not the rules and regulation of command that keep a ship flying. It is Trust. Trust in your crewmates, and your ship. Without it we are nothing more than people shooting along aboard a large pile of wood. No, a ship is more than that. A ship is something greater than the sum of its parts, and trust brings that forth. It keeps her flying when she ought to fall, and keeps her sailing when you would think there is no way she can keep going. Trust is everything, and without it, especially here, we are sure to fail. Usually this trust is built over many months of sailing together, but we have no such luxury."

    Sebastian paused to look over the crew once more. Many of them were soldiers. Would they accept his way of flying?

    "I however trust in every one of you. You have all been hand-picked by The Ninth Assembly itself, and if that isn't a testament to your skill, to your aptitude, I don't know what is. I am certain you no doubt look out at this land and see death. I see it differently. Where I see fire, I see freedom. Where I see magma I see adventure, and where I see smoke, I see opportunity. People will look back one-hundred years from now at us, and they will not lament at our failure. No, they will look back and say they went where no one was meant to, and they didn't just make it... they triumphed!" He paused one last time, gauging the reaction of his crew.
    "Selcheress want us to retrieve some gems, Lifefire Gems. So, we will sail there, get them, and go home. I don't know what will be awaiting us here, but I know we will overcome anything this plane can throw at us. All hands, steel yourselves, get back to your stations, and let's go where no one has gone before us!"

    He awaited the crews reaction, hopefully they would accept him as their captain despite his lack of military upbringing. He addressed a crewmember near him, "Would you ask Eigra and Nev if they would come speak with me in the captain's quarters once they have a free moment?"

    Spoiler: Regarding Talenel
    Show
    Assuming I noticed him with that roll, I'll extend my invitation to "our unexpected guest" to the crewmember as well.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2016-11-23 at 12:31 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pol Detson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Talenel could congratulate himself for the successful boarding until the first volly of magic missiles hit him. The guards on deck reacted with equal speed and ruthlessness. Before he could absorb the shock, three blades pointed at his tattooed face, and white-robbed wizard was at the ready with wand. Alendi coudn't quite match name to the face, but he definitely seen him before in White Tower.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    You take 17 dmg from magic missiles.


    "Don't you dare to move!" gray-haired soldier with sergeant insignia on his breastplate shouted "hands where I can see them!

    "Telanel?" the white wizard asked puzzled. Telanel "what are you doing here?"

    When Telanel spoke about captain Mercer wizard shrugged and pointed toward captain bridge. The famous privateer exited the place moment later. More and more people gathered to on the deck while the guards pointing swords at psionic warrior didn't relax for a moment. It was a stalemate of sort, because all the crew was coming on the deck, so there was no point on escorting the intruder below.

    The captain was preparing to give a speech to the whole crew. He looked directly at Telanel and surrounding men, but it seemed that situation was under control.

    Sebastian Mercer speech wasn't the greatest he had delivered in life, but he was skilled and charismatic orator. The crew listened and cheered when he spoke of trust, freedom and triumph. They might not know him personally, but his reputation as a captain in Long War was legendary - and many of those men seen the last years of fighting. He could count on their loyalty.

    After the speech he adressed the crewman, who imminently saluted and went to fetch Nev, Eigra and 'unexpected guest'. The last one came with four guards, three sword pointed at his back and nervous wizard fallowing soldiers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    All players are in captain's quarters.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-11-23 at 05:15 PM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    Still in her more corridor-friendly human guise, Eigra makes her way to the captain's quarters. She gives the raven a friendly nod and eyes the unexpected guest with curiosity. "Reporting as requested."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "Well, this one's new, " Nev chatters, mostly to herself, as she flies over to examine the intruder... and then sits on the top of his head, and starts checking her feathers. After all, with all those swords to his throat, he's probably not going to be able to make much of an effort to stop her, is he?

    "I would have expected more fire from someone who made it aboard in this place, wouldn't you? So how did a non-fire-person get out here?"

    Nev had not been able to see him board (she'd been below decks until the message after the jump), and had guessed entirely wrong about how and when he boarded.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Talenel barely had time to get up before being hit by the missiles. He grimaces in pain, bending over. Ugh, I'd forgotten about those. At the soldier's prodding, he responds Just a second, let me regain my composure. Damn that hurt. He seems very unconcerned about the swords pointed at his face. To the White Tower mage, he simply asks Have I seen you before? Just as the mage begins to introduce himself, Mercier begins to speak. Quiet! We'll save introductions for later. After the speech, he nods in approval. Just as the rumors say.

    When the messenger comes to ask Taln's presence to the captain's quarters, he finds Taln arguing with the guards about being brought to the captain. Upon hearing that the captain has requested his presence, he sticks his tongue out at the head guard. He frowns, however, at the order for the guards to come with him.

    Upon entering the cabin, he looks around, gauging the faces of the others gathered in the room. In particular, he finds the raven rather amusing. That amusement fades quickly, however, when the bird perches atop the bald man's head. He gives Sebastian a hard look. Captain, with all due respect, could you please keep your pet parrot under control? Bird claws are not particularly healthy for the scalp.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Entering the room you see that it was designed for modest luxury, however you can see it has been set up far more humbly. There is a single bed, a writing desk with chair, and a small table with four other chairs around it. In front of each chair is a cup with tea leaves in it. Sebastian pours hot water from his percolator into each as the three enter the room. He motions for everyone to sit at the table. Initially ignoring Talenel he addresses Eigra and Nev.

    "I'm sorry that hot tea isn't going to be the most appropriate drink at probably the hottest place we could be, but here you go nonetheless. Oh, and Nev, is not my familiar I'll have you know, she is actually the top artificer aboard this ship. Eigra and Nev, I wanted to ask you if you'd be willing to join me as the ground-crew when we reach the gems. I don't know what we'll find there, and if you'd rather stay on the ship I understand. However, I looked over the records of everyone on this ship leading up to our jump, and you two stand out as a cut above. In fact if you are willing I'd like you as my Top Lieutenants. You'd still have all your normal duties of course, but should I be incapacitated, or worse, you'd have rank on the ship. You would also take a role closer to alongside me than below me. I don't offer this easily under most circumstances, this will have to be the exception and I could really use your help. What say you?

    He awaits their reply and addresses Talenel after. Standing up allowing the hilt of his blade to show.

    "Now you... You're not from this plane here, you're from Selcheress aren't you? You'd best explain yourself, because this isn't your average skyship. Walking the plank here wouldn't bode well...
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "...Parrot...?"

    Oooh, that one hit a nerve. Nev shifted her weight onto one foot, balled up the other one, and kicked down with it. It doesn't do any damage (she'd struggle to cause serious injury even when she was using her talons, let alone when she's not!), and lands... with about as much force as someone tapping you on the shoulder to get your attention.

    "Hey, Monkey!" Let's see how he likes it! "You know parrots can't actually talk, right? They can learn to mimic the words, but you can't actually have a conversation with them." Nev then wanders to the front of Taln's scalp, and leans forwards, ducking her head down to give him an angry glare. It would work better if a) this pose didn't leave her head upside-down at the top of Taln's vision, and b) you could pull off a human 'annoyed' expression with a Raven's face.

    Giving up, she moves on. "Oh, Monkey, before I forget: You don't happen to know how to pick locks, do you? Some genius lost the key to one of our supply chests already!" Straightening up, she glances over at her captain. "And no, it wasn't me this time. There's no keys lining my nest, and I checked my caches, I haven't stored any keys for the hard times to come when wild keys are in short supply. Someone else lost this one."

    Almost as an afterthought, she adds, "Sure, I'll join the ground team. Just don't expect me to carry too much. I don't have those giant muscle piles to move around on like you mammals do..."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    To Sebastian: I assume one of those chairs are for me? I could use a seat after the exhilarating adventure I've been on. He moves towards one of the seats, and assuming the move doesn't earn him a poke from a sabre, he'll pull the chair out from under the table and sit down. He then picks up the cup, looking at it in distaste. Anyone want this? Not much for tea, myself. If nobody takes him up on his offer, he shrugs and sets the cup back down. Then he looks at the captain. Yes, I'm from Selcheress. And, yes, I know that this isn't the average skyship. Hell, I'm the entire reason for that. You see, as our white-robed friend (who has yet to introduce himself to me) over there likely knows, he gestures to the White Tower mage, I'm the one who built the Planar Breaching Engine. Well, I couldn't have done it without my friend here. With that, he reaches into his pocket and withdraws a small, yellow crystal. He then withdraws his hand from under it as spindly, electric legs appear underneath it, keeping it about four to five feet above the ground. Meet Ayr, my best friend and the best assistant you can find.

    Spoiler: If the guards don't let him sit
    Show

    He'll do everything standing, aside from offering someone his tea.


    Everyone hears a bright, cheerful female voice in their head. Hello, all!

    Anywho, you wanna know why I'm here? Because I should've been on the roster all along. That was one of the biggest reasons I decided to do this project, especially on the pay they gave me. But nooo, they pulled me off at the last minute. Well, I decided I'd come along anyways. Of course, they probably saw me flying towards the ship before we disembarked, so when we return they'll likely be waiting to take me from this beautiful ship. However, until that happens, I plan on making the most of this little expedition. I'd like to join your ground team. Believe me, I'll make a valuable member. Despite my status as a scholar, I'm also well versed in the art of the sword.


    Not only that, the voice in their heads says, but you'll have the benefit of a telepathic communications network. Do you know how much easier it is to communicate with fire elementals when you don't need to worry about mistranslations?

    To Nev: Well, I don't remember ever hearing any bird besides a parrot talk. Then again, I've never seen a black parrot. Maybe you're some kind of mixed-breed? Ah well, point is, bird claws are still not very healthy for the scalp, as I said earlier. So, if you would please disembark from my cranium. He then crosses his arms, waiting for Nev to move from her perch, he continues. As for picking locks, I'm afraid I can do no such think. However, I wonder how this lock would fare against a splash of acid...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Right now, I'm picturing Taln as a person in his 30s with the cynical attitude of someone in their 80s and the patience of a toddler.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "Well now that is interesting..." Sebastian says trailing off into thought. He ponders the situation for a moment and drinks from his tea looking at Talenel intently.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show

    Sense Motive on Talenel's words: (1d20+10)[25]


    "When I was but a boy my mother and I were traveling aboard the skyship Endless Horizon. We were passengers, well... more of guests really. I was never allowed to help around the ship, the captain, Gerard was his name, didn't want me getting hurt. For years I kept asking to help and was rejected over and over again. However, one day I didn't ask for permission, I just started to work; I didn't care what the punishment might be. The captain saw me, and didn't say anything I was expecting. Gerard merely critiqued my work, telling me how I might improve. I respect a man willing to take what he wants despite what anyone else may say. I'll have you with the ground crew per your request. I do however expect you to help out aboard the ship. If you truly are responsible for this ship I assume you won't have any difficulty."

    He finishes his tea, "Oh and I didn't catch your name."
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pol Detson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    The white wizard bowed his head and re-introduced himself just after Taln pointed:

    "I am Farran White. We met just before the Fearless project started." he said. The 'White' monicker signified that he was an unwanted child, orphan or bastard abandoned on White Tower' property and raised by the wizards.

    "Our humble intruder was, in fact, responsible for key theoretical work on our Engine."
    Farran confirmed to the captain.

    The old sergant didn't let his eyes off Taln. He cleared his throat and asked: "May I speak freely, my captain?" he waited for permission and continued:

    "I was in the Last War. I've seen things. Soldiers losing control of their own minds. Demons wearing flesh of common folks and children. White wizards broken and compelled by spells to burn innocents alive. Are we sure that we shouldn't throw him overboard and hit him wit big cannon just to be sure?"
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-11-25 at 06:47 PM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "Aw, but it would be such a waste of a good perch! I always wanted a carrying monkey, and now I've found one, you want to throw it overboard? Although..." Nev takes off from Taln's head... and attempts to land on his hovering psicrystal. "This floating rock is kinda cool... I'd almost be tempted to steal it and let you toss the monkey, but I don't think that would work out. You're a Psicrystal, aren't you, Ayr? A little fragment of the Monkey's mind, given substance. Though it's probably best we not speculate too long on how.... different... you are to the rest of Monkey..."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "I'd be lying if I hadn't considered it sergeant, but if you'd like to explain to The Ninth Assembly yourself that the man who designed this ship's engine is dead, by all means throw him overboard. I however would strongly recommend against upsetting them."

    He turns back to Taln, giving him his full attention.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    As our esteemed captain has said, throwing me off wouldn't be a good idea. The entire reason they kept me behind -sorry, tried to keep me behind- is because they didn't want their head engineer for this project dead. A wiser man than I might have heeded their wishes.

    I apologize. My name is Talenel Alendi, or Taln for short. As far as my duties aboard the ship, I was thinking that I would take up residence in the Engine room. Considering I built the thing, I can easily keep tabs on it and make sure it's not gonna blow up on us. Did you know that there's a gauge on it specifically to tell how likely it is to suddenly open a rift to the astral plane, sucking all matter within a 100 foot radius into the rift, and causing the ship to implode upon itself? Yeah, we did our best to make sure that that gauge stays firmly at zero.


    Ayr says to Nev Indeed, I am a manifestation of my master's more scholarly side. However, I am not necessarily restricted to scholarly thoughts. I am a being with independent thoughts from Talenel's. Due to my being a part of his mind, however, my independent thoughts and his independent thoughts regularly coincide. At least, they do when those thoughts are of the scholarly variety.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    Eigra sips her tea and grins at Nev's antics atop the newcomer's head, "I accept, Captain. I hope I can live up to your faith in me. Oh, and if we are to all work together, you should each have these." She places 3 rings on the desk, made of a shiny whitish metal. They don't appear to be magical for anyone who can sense that sort of thing, and they match a band that Eigra is already wearing, "These are the focuses for a spell which allows me to assume some of the injuries that would impact any of you. Generally one at a time, but if you have the rings already it will make it easier to cast the spell when needed. There is one other thing..." She describes her dream, "I have learned not to dismiss such things, as sometimes it is the way that Chandra chooses to speak through us."

    Spoiler
    Show
    The rings wouldn't take up a magic item slot, as they are just the focus for a spell (and as far as I can tell, just have to be in the possession of the character in question, not necessarily worn.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2016-11-26 at 12:44 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Sebastian picks up the ring, examines it for a second, and then tosses it into the air catching it, the metal shining as it spins. He puts it on his left little finger, "Hopefully we won't be needing to use this, but nevertheless good to have."

    Upon hearing about Eigra's dream he thinks for a moment and frowns. "I've learned the hard way in the past to always listen to omens or portents. Sadly I don't know much of my draconic heritage... the black ones, they aren't the variety that likes fire are they? I thought that was the red ones. I know your dream said there is nothing to fear, but I'd rather us be prepared for it just in case. Does anyone know much about black dragons, or have a way to defend against them? Also, I want everyone to have a means of flight, even if it is temporary, no exceptions. I don't want to see my crew falling to a horrible death out here." He looked at Nev, chuckled, "That shouldn't prove difficult for some of us."
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    "I have the natural ability to fly as well. I can also cast fly, ah, on the fly as needed, if required. Still, best if others can do it themselves when I'm not nearby."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Very well, then. Talenel says as he puts the ring on, trying out fingers to see which one it fit on best.

    As for flight, I can utilize short bursts of it, though nothing long term yet. However, if I fall off, I have other means of getting back up. A good half of which I wasted trying to get on this ship. Which brings another question: When are we going down to the surface? I'd like to rest for at least a day and get my resources back. It's not like we're in a huge rush, right? It will also give me a chance to look at this chest the parr- er, raven, was talking about.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Nev goes on to land on the table, next to the remaining ring. She pecks at it, in a rather... unenthusiastic... manner.

    "...I always wanted a large, heavy anklet, " she notes, rather drily. "Well, if it's for my health, I'll have to see if I can pad this thing to fit one of my legs comfortably. I assume just carrying it won't work, it has to be worn?"

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    As the ring isn't magical in and of itself, it may not matter. I've never tried the spell with anyone non-humanoid in shape.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    "Excellent. Sergeant you can leave Taln to me. Consider him my guest until we get back to Selcheress. You can be on your way, and thank you." He turns to the four. "I'm going to check in with our navigator on the command deck. If you'd like to join me you may."

    Sebastian then puts away the cups that have been drank or are left untouched with care, making sure to clean them out first. He however, places them haphazardly with no sense of organization in a drawer. He looks around the room, nods, and gets ready to head up to the command deck with whoever wishes to join him.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2016-11-28 at 03:14 AM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Eigra

    Eigra goes along - she is curious as she hasn't spent much time on the command deck. "Do we have some idea of where we need to go?"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Pol Detson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Sergeant opened his mouth as if to argue, thunk better of it, and just saluted. "Sir!" , he and his men exited the officers rooms. The sergeant gave Talenel Alendi a look that could only mean "I'll be watching you, potential doppelganger".

    Nev knew, because of her perch in artificer lab, that providing flight for hundred person crew would be near to impossible with current manpower. Artificers could produce many items magical and alchemical, but even simple wand of fly would have only 50 charges.

    Sebastian returned to the bride . The technicians and officers saluted. Redhead Aoife reported the calculations:


    "We are 173 miles off. But the conditions are better than expected, without rains of fire or visible ash-clouds, sir. We should be able to fly at full speed. "


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I didn't include the reaction to Nev, Eigra and Taln.. but assume that technicians on the ship recognize Taln and are very confused right now.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-11-28 at 09:32 AM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dascarletm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] First Voyage: In Fire And Ashes

    Sebastian smiled and nodded to Aoife, "Thank you Aoife. Looks like smooth sailing." He looked at the surrounding area for anything out of place, or anything of note.

    "I don't want anyone letting their guard down. This seems to be going almost too smoothly."

    Sebastian paces, though not nervously. He seems to move with purpose, as though he feels he is missing something.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •