New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Belhaim

Kiyoko

"I suppose," Kiyoko shrugged cheerfully. "Though I'm running a bit low on magic for the day. You... might want to stash the count's effects somewhere. The disguise is useless now and it seems to be a bit of a trigger for some people around here." She reached up and brushed at her head, near the cut she'd received. Looking at her fingers, she nodded with satisfaction that the bleeding seemed to be stopping. "This is the second worst hit I've ever taken from a teacup..."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

Crossing the street, Yagenas stopped by the Garrison and mounted Archer before quickly saddling up alongside the two female criminals.

"Need a ride?"
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Looking up at the ever-helpful guardsman, Kiyoko smiled pleasantly. "I really don't. I'll be investigating the dragon issue as soon as I get resettled, as I said. I guess I'll see you at the monastery?" She looked at Ellarie. "Are you going with him?"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie looked down at her blue coat sheepishly.

"Right." She took it off and folded it neatly and stowed it in her pack. She cocked an eyebrow at Kiyoko's teacup comment.

"You have lived an interesting life." Ellarie idly wondered if Kiyoko followed the interesting or if it followed her. She was still sorting her clothes out when Deputy Yagenas pulled up besides them.

"You do seem to be going our way." She smiled brightly at him, suddenly recalling she owed him a great deal.

"I'd take you up on that ride if I didn't have Lady Grace here." She patted her horse's neck fondly as she nickered upon hearing her name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

"I meant to find your associate Master Apion. This is supposedly his theory anyway and I imagine he'd have a interest in it. Thought I might aswell be chivalrous and offer a ride if you were going the same way as me," He smiled and nodded his head at Ellarie's response however and merely shrugged "But it seems you've got that all sorted out, come along Archer."
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2016-12-16 at 10:30 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #306
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eren

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    "I'll leave your inn. I don't want anymore trouble. I'll go upstairs and get my things. I'll stay in town if you want me to, but I can't stay here...

"Unless you do mean to throw me in irons?"
    Eren shook his head. Ellarie, as far as he was concerned, was mostly blameless, with the real problem being Kiyoko - with whom, it seemed, they were at an awkward mix of a stalemate and a truce.

"Not at this juncture, Miss Ellarie."

Then, Talia ordered everyone out, and recognizing he wasn't going to get near the chest anytime soon without a fight he'd rather avoid, Eren gathered his things and followed after the others. Spotting Ellarie and Yagenas hurry after Kiyoko, he decided to leave Cassandra to her own workings and follow them.

If I know Cassandra, she will be going to the Baroness. After our previous encounter, it is likely for the best that I do not accompany her - which leaves working with these three as my best chance to affect some change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    "I suppose, though I'm running a bit low on magic for the day. You... might want to stash the count's effects somewhere. The disguise is useless now and it seems to be a bit of a trigger for some people around here."
    "If you are running low on magic, then perhaps I can be of assistance in that regard." Eren approached the group carefully. "At this point, I concur that our best plan of action is to find Master Apion, and then head to the monastery." He looked between Yagenas and Ellarie. "I don't suppose I could hitch a ride with either of you? Abadar has granted me the fleetness of feet, but not as fast as a horse, and the armor does weigh me down a bit."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie eyed the Inquisitor speculatively as he joined the small group they were forming to make their way to the monastery.

"The more the merrier. I think Lady Grace can carry us both. If you ride behind me I'll still be able to see."
    She grinned at the tall man and motioned with her thumb behind her seat on the saddle.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Can Lady Grace carry three? I'm afraid I don't have my own horse." The tiefling looked back and forth between her conversation partners. "If you have something for this cut, Inquisitor, I wouldn't mind."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie laughed

"No! She's Lady Grace not Barbarian Grace!"
    She pointed at Yag.

"I believe the Deputy offered you a ride, you could do worse."
    Ellarie winked at Kiyoko, a mischievous smile flitting across her lips as she waited for Eren to mount behind her.
    #Notallinfluencers

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"I thought the deputy had long gone. If there's been a change in plans, I could ride with him."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

"Yeah he hasn't gone off too far ahead. Deputy!"
    Ellarie shouted to get Yag's attention.

"Kiyoko needs a ride after all!" She waved her arms at the tiefling for clarity.
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

Turning his head back, Yagenas knocked his boot against Archer and caused the horse to turn around and come to a stop.

"Oh! Well of course!" He quickly rode back to the gathered ensemble, reaching down with one muscular arm to pull Kiyoko up onto the back of his mount "It'll be great, from a distance people won't even be able to tell I'm riding him."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Ah, to serve as a tiefling-shaped shield. I've truly found my calling." Kiyoko got situated with some difficulty. She could handle animals well enough, but riding one was unfamiliar to her. "Hopefully this will go better than the last time a bunch of us went to go find the town's strongest wizard."

14. - Top - End - #314

Eren

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    "Can Lady Grace carry three? I'm afraid I don't have my own horse." The tiefling looked back and forth between her conversation partners. "If you have something for this cut, Inquisitor, I wouldn't mind."
    Eren extended a hand. "Here, allow me."

Channeling energy through his hands, Eren began to seal up Kiyoko's wound.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Cure Light Wounds.

(1d8+4)[9] HP healed.

"Now, let us be off."

Eren then kept his eyes forward, trying not to roll his eyes as the rest of the group began bantering while they looked for Elias.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Arigato, inquisitor. That's much better." Kiyoko took a deep breath and started to keep a solid lookout for Elias. The wizard would surely be by soon...

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Intercepted on their way to the town historian's home, Elias stopped alongside Ioseph to hear the noblewoman's news. His brow furrowed at mention of the furor at the inn, but as Cassandra moved to make peace his expression softened.

"My Lady, while our methods may differ I have no doubt that your goal was to protect Belhaim. I hope for nothing but success from your plan, and if you would volunteer to aid Sir Ioseph and I in the matter of the dragon you may find us at the home of the village historian. Though from the sound of things it seems you are already serving the public good by bringing this matter to the Baroness' attention. I am sure Deputy Tulwin will appreciate you bringing the matter to the Lady Devy's attention when he hears of it."

Their words exchanged, Elias continued on towards the house of Bessy, who he hoped would shed further light on the town's predicament.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-12-17 at 06:03 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Elias & Ioseph
    Bassy's House

The home of Belhaim's nearly famous historian was easy to find owing to its purple roof. It was a modest affair by human standards, but by since it was built to accommodate a family of gnomes, the interior was actually rather expansive if you were the appropriate size. Judging by the small windows, a second and third story had been wedged into all of 20 vertical feet. The ground floor was built to human scale, so as to accommodate guests.

A pink and green haired gnomish woman answered the door, but didn't seem surprised to have visitors. Rather, she simply gestured them into the parlor and pointed to the couch and coffee table where four slices of lemon cake were waiting on antique plates. A bulky adamantine key had been left next to the treats.

"It's been nearly a hundred and fifty years, but the last time I went to the crypt with my mother, the old wyrm's bones were still laying where granny and Tula left him. Raveners do happen, but that's an affair for a dragon while he's still alive. After death? There's not much you can do besides make armor out of them and sell the blood to fools who think it cures impotence. Tea?"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioseph

Ioseph nodded politely and took a seat on the couch, while helping himself to a slice of lemon cake.

"Thank you, two sugars please. So you've been inside the tomb then? I take that key will get us inside?"
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

The Nightmare Before Crystalhue
    Part 1: Entirely Too Many Spirits

Spoiler
    Show
    Kiyoko caught herself grinding her teeth for the third time since entering the Forest of Spirits. She'd been here several times before, and she always hated it. The kami did not - could not - interfere with her, thanks to the protective ward Anamurumon had given her, but she could sense them all the same. The whispers in Senzon, the presence in the forest that objected to her intrusion... it was always there, breathing down her neck.

For the most part, it faded as she approached the dimensionally locked and unhallowed hole that served as her destination, as did the animal calls of the forest and any semblance of normalcy. For a wonder, the gate guardian Noburo did not appear to harass her as she passed under the torii leading into the terrace area proper, perhaps having said everything he had to say the previous time she'd appeared. That was fine with Kiyoko; she hated the old zuishen kami as much as he hated her. Leaving him to his impotent rage, she proceeded deeper into the forest, toward the secret place at its 'center' - inasmuch as the eldritch place could be said to have a center.

There, the imposing pagoda stood in ever-dwindling defiance of the nature that would reclaim it. Where the Forest of Spirits involved soft prisms of light and snow dancing between the evergreen trees, with scents of old memories carried on the wind, this place at its heart held frozen terraces descending inward into the depression that held the ancient structure, choked with ugly old growth that had crept up the walls - wherever the giant, black cobwebs hadn't taken hold. The few patches of wall visible beneath that held dark and stylized impressions of fantastic and magical beasts the likes of which were rare even in their homelands... and the scent of death and decay overpowered any other possible olfactory sensation.

This was the House of Withered Blossoms. Contrary to what the name might suggest, it had never been a House of Cherry Blossoms or Radiant Flowers or some other such thing and then been corrupted. No, this place had been built as a prison, for the express purpose of keeping the most dangerous living beings in Minkai locked away forever by the power of Tian Xia's gods and the combined will that enforced the iron-clad and absurdly labyrinthine laws of the Kami. The one who had earned such incomprehensible divine ire? Her very own grandfather, Anamurumon, whose original name was lost to time and now known perhaps only to Shizuru, queen of the local pantheon.

Sadly for Shizuru and her adherents, 'forever' is a very large window for things to go wrong, and her grandfather had - somehow - worked out a method by which his band of Oni followers, the Five Storms, could escape... with one exception. Always up for creative and ironic iconoclasm, Anamurumon had left one Oni, Munasukaru, behind within the House. The Kami rules which bound and empowered the guardians of the forest also trapped them here "for as long as the House of Withered Blossoms remains a prison for the Oni." That wording had come back to bite them when Anamurumon had left the weakest member of the Five Storms within and departed with the other 99% of his forces to wreak havoc across Minkai.

That had been decades ago. Now, his plans for ultimate vengeance were nearing completion. The one remaining catch was hunting down the last Amatatsu heir, currently assumed to be somewhere in southwestern Avistan. The blasted Kami rules yet again prevented his best warriors from hunting her down and magically assassinating her, and that was where Kiyoko came in. She was here to drop off a particular weapon with Munasukaru, pick up another one, rendezvous with a team to get her to Avistan, and set out for Hongal to do a bit of shopping before moving in for the kill. The team supposedly included at least one mage who could teleport. Kiyoko certainly had no intention of walking or hopping a caravan to her destination.

That would be crazy.

Without much effort, the Tiefling opened the door to the House and stepped inside. The act might have looked simple to outside observers, but it was literally more than any of the hundreds of super-powered beings in the forest around her could do. On the other hand, most of them wouldn't have had as much trouble with the webs.

"Oh, bleagh," she complained to no one in particular as she struggled to clear a path. "I'd really hoped she would have cleared out the aranea by now." There was an angry chittering from above. "Yeah, I know you're there! And before you ask, yes I'm still the big guy's granddaughter. You know what will happen to you if you give me a hard time."

Blessed silence was the only reply, and Kiyoko finally made it to the giant hole in the floor that served as the entrance to the 'proper' part of the prison. The whole building had once been Munasukaru's, but a band of spider-men had moved in long ago and - somehow - she hadn't managed to kill them all yet. The aranea, for their part, were either insufficiently armed or too busy being high on opium to properly invade the lower levels, leading to an inexcusably long stalemate. That this could just as adequately describe the ongoing struggle between the Five Storms and the heavens they rejected was not lost on the Tiefling, but it was all old news to her now.

Dropping down and into the proper Kami prison, she quickly made her way down a long tunnel that opened into a shockingly large subterranean chamber, with an equally impressive bulwark and gate running floor to ceiling. “Hey guys, how’s it-“

“Intruder!” Came the cry from the bulwark. Flaming arrows landed right at her feet, causing the Tiefling to jump back into the cover of the tunnel.

“Shizuru’s danglies! It’s me, idiots! Kiyoko! Ki-yo-ko!”

“Nevermind, it’s the boss’s brat.” The shots stopped and the gate squealed open, spikes rust-red with dried blood scraping against each other. Kiyoko rolled her eyes and stepped back out, crossing the killing grounds and making her way inside. “Just keepin’ ya on your toes, there, Kiki. Heheheh.”

“In your dreams, Brom.” The hobgoblins – for that was what made up the bulk of the Withered Blossom Warriors down here – were legion, and had the same average lifespan as the night-blooming flowers up above, but she remembered Brom from last time. “Is anyone else gonna shoot at me?”

“Eh, probably not, though the Sisters might want to spar with you.”

“Glorious.” With that, the Tiefling moved on, passing the Mockery Pagoda entirely, despite the generous offer she’d received. “You want in on this, Kiyoko? The ladies say there’s always room for one more.”

Kiyoko sniffed gently. Yes, yes, the place did still smell like pig offal. “Gross. I’ll pass.” She had long suspected that the Swine Shogun, a thoroughly disgusting individual by every measure, had been possessed by some malevolent spirit, but damned if she was going to go in there and check.

So pass she did, through numerous checkpoints, bridges, traps, deadfalls, gates, and more. Prisons were big on security, in or out, but Kiyoko did sometimes wonder why Munasukaru’s minions didn’t just install a secret staircase that would let one hop to any level directly.

She never had to wonder long, though, because the walls made that abundantly clear. Munasukaru was utterly insane, even by the standards of the Oni, which was really saying something. The House of Withered Blossoms was psychically morphable, just a bit, and the weakest of the Five Storms expressed her frustration and rage at being left behind to rot in this divine prison through subconscious interior decorating. Images of every kind of bloody vengeance, violence, and violation lined the walls in classical artistic styles, unnerving to the uninitiated. Kiyoko ignored them – making too much of a fuss would get her a solid backhand from a creature the size of a bear, and her protection granted by Anamurumon had limits.

Still, she made good time… right up until she found the Monastery. The name was another little joke, but it was here that the Sisters of the Broken Path trained under the ever-leering gaze of the Lustful Overseer. She didn’t much care to know how he’d gotten that title, but she could make some educated guesses. Regardless of what precisely their training regimen consisted of, the room’s setup was diabolically clever. Poles crossed back and forth over a deep pit, the bottom of which was shrouded in fog... and beneath that layer of fog was more clear space that contained a pair of gorgons. Anyone falling down there who managed to survive the drop would soon find themselves facing the literally-petrifying breath of the giant magical beasts. The Sisters trained on those poles (See what I did there?) and naturally, any who fell were judged too weak and clumsy to be proper guardians.

They had a roll-out set of planks that they could string across two poles for visitors who needed to see Munasukaru... but they never used it. "Hey! Dreagu! What are the odds of getting you to actually do your job?"

The Hobgoblin, balancing flawlessly amid the narrow beams, shrugged. "I don't know, Kiyoko, what are the odds that you'll ask nicely this time?"

"What is it that you want?"

"The same thing I always want."

"Well, I'm not coming out there to fight you. Turns out, grandfather wanted me trained in heavy armor use and assassin tactics instead of letting me spend ten years learning gymnastics and how to give really great head."

"Well then I guess you can use your heavy armor and assassin moves to get across."

The argument ended as it always did - with Kiyoko climbing across slowly while the Sisters occasionally threw things at her and laughing before she proceeded deeper into the prison. Fortunately, no one else caused her quite that much trouble, not even Munasukaru's half-oni children. Finally, she managed to reach the only important prisoner down here herself.

"Hrm?" The years had not been kind to the Ja Noi Oni, but Munasukaru the Least's rail-thin form still moved with unearthly vitality. This seemed lost on the aranea that was pinned to the wall, slowly bleeding out and making odd noises that Kiyoko assumed to be the spider-man version of whimpering. "Youuuu...." The oni's eyes narrowed before clearing, "Why, it's little Kiyoko! My, how you've grown. What has Anamurumon been feeding you?"

"Nothing, Auntie Munasukaru. When I was twelve he said I'd learn to kill my own meals or starve. That was fifty-seven years ago."

"Yes, yes, as it should be." The oni bobbed and wove her way to a nearby cushion before sitting on it. Kiyoko took the cushion across from it. "It's about time you got here. I was about to send your mission team home."

The tiefling rolled her eyes. "You've been failing to kill your upstairs neighbor for sixty years; I don't want to hear about how my mission is behind schedule."

"Pah! Murdering Akinosa is just a hobby. And you can't expect me to send my precious grandbabies into battle when I have so many hobgoblins."

"If you say so. Anyw... wait." Kiyoko squinted, "How do you have grandchildren? The only things your children could possibly breed with down here would be... euagh." She shuddered. Sometimes being clever was its own punishment. "My point is this." She presented the Naginata she'd carried down here with her. "I'm here to make the weapon swap and pick up my team. Takahiro found this in the Imperial Vault, and Anamurumon has sent this as a gift for your many decades of volunteer work."

"Is that so?" On the one hand, it was clear mockery. On the other hand, it was a magic weapon. Either way, Munasukaru couldn't refuse it. "Very well, I... augh! I can sense the power of the Kami in it."

"Yeah, I know. I could feel them staring at me the whole time I was going through the forest. Judging me with their judgey eyes." Kiyoko shrugged. "Just grit your teeth and swing it if there's an intruder. It's a very powerful weapon."

"Fine! And here, girl, is yours."
    The aged Oni crone waved a clawed hand at the wall, and Kiyoko got up to remove the blade there. "Five feet of fine adamantine alloy, stripped from the heart of a fallen star and beaten into the shape of a murderer's merciless smile. It will carve through steel like cheese."

Kiyoko actually was pretty happy with it. "I could kill a building with this."

"Probably, but be sure to kill that Kaijitsu girl first so I can finally get out of this dump. Now go," Munsukaru waved dismissively, "Shoo. Your team will be waiting at the surface, I've seen to it."

The tiefling did, happy for the chance to leave, and stopped only when she found herself once again at the Monastery. Dreagu was already out and about. "Well, if it isn't our favorite practice target."

"Actually, Dreagu, I think I'd like to spar with you this time."

"...wait, really?"

"Yes." Kiyoko nodded earnestly. "I don't want to disappoint grandfather, and there's no telling what kind of guardians Ameiko will have. I need to test myself."

"Well, that works for me." Eager to toss the hated 'favorite' of Anamurumon to her death, Dreagu bounded out onto the narrow beam as Kiyoko drew her blade. "Aha! Going to test your new weapon?"

"Yes indeed." Without another word, the Tiefling brought the blade around and through the narrow strut spanning the death pit. Dreagu screamed and fell, landing with a soft thud as her training handled the worst of the fall.

"Kiyoko, you unbelievable b-" There was a pause as a snort was heard, followed by another snort. Then the pounding of heavy hooves crunching through ruined statues. "I... don't suppose you'd be willing to toss down that rope-plank bridge?"

"Sorry!" Kiyoko shouted down. "I'm using it."

She cheerfully whistled as she carefully aligned and rolled out the temporary path across, and straightened when the sounds of combat below halted, ending with the grinding crunch of something shattering a newly-made granite art piece. The Tiefling grinned and patted the blade of her new weapon. "Sword, you and me are gonna go places. Let's go meet my team."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2016-12-18 at 03:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320

Eren

As they rode off to find Elias, Eren had a thought occur to him, and spoke to Ellarie.

"So... Miss Ellarie. If I may be so bold, what exactly brought you to this place?"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

She had been a bit disconcerted at first at the Taxmaster's close proximity to her. It had been a long while since she had cause to ride double with a man, though eventually her mind drifted away from the past and she became aware of how the large man's warmth had enveloped her as they sat atop the horse. She was lulled into warm, drowsy haze by Lady Grace's steady gait, interrupted as the Inquisitor made conversation.

"I was looking for employment as a bard, actually."
    She roused herself.

"Everyone will pay for my sword, but I would rather not do that sort of work indefinitely. Guarding caravans and such, mercenary work you know?" She tipped her face up to gauge his expression, checking for recognition of understanding in his face.

"I was hoping to trade my lute services at a tavern for room and board and well. That's off the table now, so I guess I'll have to look somewhere else once the town has been made safe again." She trailed off sadly, her shoulders slumped as she considered life on the road yet again.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2016-12-18 at 12:27 AM.
    #Notallinfluencers

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Preparations

Parting ways, Elias and Ioseph made their way to the distinctive home of the town historian while Cassandra continued on towards Devy Manor. The two men arrived first, the benefits of distance and decorum working in their favor. But while they enjoyed the hospitality of the ancient gnome, Cassandra was shown into the Baroness' presence.

"Lady Cassandra. What can I do for you?"

"Lady Devy, there has been a disturbance at the Piper. Talia caught one of the women who arrived with the caravan masquerading as the Count Valere, and before any of us truly knew what was happening another of the newcomers, a Minkaian woman, had admitted to slaying the man. She claims that it was in self defense, but Talia is in quite a state. I suspect she and the Count may have been more than passing acquaintances."

The Baroness took some time to absorb this new crisis, focused as she was on the recent appearance of the dragon, but eventually called for the captain of her guards.

"This is a matter better reported to Sir Pelle, Lady Cassandra, but I shall send some of my own men while he is summoned."

"Forgive me, Lady Devy, but the sheriff is in no state to do much at the moment, and Talia was hysterical. She was going on about evicting all of us, even the onlookers."

If Cassandra hoped the Baroness would take Talia's threat as an opportunity to host her fellow noble, she was disappointed. The Lady Devy, it seemed, was too preoccupied to observe the stricter rules of Taldan hospitality. Within moments, the captain of the Devy guard had appeared and dispatched a quartet of his men to secure the inn. Cassandra followed, her civic duty fulfilled, and set out to rejoin her new companions.

Meanwhile, Elias and Ioseph set about the business of discovering the nature of the new threat.

"I've never been inside the tomb itself. Past the outer door, there's a long shaft that leads down and there are no stairs, so you'll want a rope if you mean to get down there. Thankfully, the door is impossible to open without this key, so everything within should be undisturbed. It's not just Tula down there, you see, but the dragonslayers of The Slayers of Nazilli, along with all their panoply. That's the reason for the traps, you see..."

She paused.

"Yes, there will be traps. Tests, really, to ensure that anyone who sought the Slayers' weapons were worthy of wielding them. They shouldn't be a problem."

Another pause, as the woman's fingers worried at her teacup.

"They shouldn't be a problem, but there are things I don't know about the tomb. It's been so long since it was regularly maintained. And the last time I was there, my mother and I felt something from beneath the earth. A chill beyond that of the marsh. I fear something dark may have come to reside among the graves of old heroes."

Elias and Ioseph exchanged a look. Both remained committed to delving the tomb, there was no question of that, but this further wrinkle was unexpected.

"There is a bit of good news, though - there's folk in town who might be able to help. Lezara Dogion, Dame Lezara Dogion, in particular. She fought in the Fourth Mendavian Crusade, and might have some mementos that could be of use. She runs the stable here in town. Lovely horses, if a mite colossal."

She smiled, allowing the silence to stretch long enough to make it clear she was open to further questions. Seizing the opportunity, Elias leaned forward.

"Do you know if anything has tried something like this before? Any other dragons that have tried to claim Aeteperax's legacy?"

"None that I know of. It would be a bit unconventional, I gather, for a dragon to swallow its pride enough to impersonate another one."

"What about descendants? Did Aeteperax sire a brood?"

"Well, the old beast was more than eight hundred years old when Tula slew him, so it's likely. But any living descendants would be thousand year old Wyrms by now."

"And quite capable of terrifying us without leaning on their forebear's legacy."

"Right. I wouldn't worry about finding any angry black dragons at the monastery - probably full of this thing's minions though. Whatever they may be. If it is a dragon, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a lair nearby. That's hilly country, plenty of places to hide a cave and a hoard."

Elias and Ioseph nodded and stood, bowing to the historian with their thanks. They left the house at a brisk walk, hoping to visit the stables before too much time passed. In the foyer of the old knight, they finally had some luck, as she removed a mighty looking bow from its place above the mantle.

"Took this off a Fury during the Crusade. Bunch of Chelaxians who came up to help us fight with more bravery than sense. Were wiped out to a man, but at least they left their gear behind for the rest of us."

She extended it towards Ioseph.

"Now, this isn't a gift. It's a loan. But the bow is yours until you've solved this mess and the town is safe."

Once more, the pair gave their sincere thanks before returning to the street. They were moments away from formulating the best way to approach the tomb with only two men, when a small caravan approached them at a rapid trot. Elias was surprised, given what Cassandra had told him, to see Ellarie and Kiyoko riding alongside the Abadaran inquisitor and the deputy.

"Hello there, Deputy! I heard there was some trouble at the inn?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-12-18 at 03:01 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

"Yes, your long-haired friend here has publicly admitted to murder. I opted to give her civil service instead of a jail cell given the current circumstances, and, well, Talia didn't like that one bit. I was worried she'd throw even more dinnerware around." He shrugged and then looked back at Kiyoko "I'm afraid this is your stop. I've one thing more to do, but right before I do, Apion, your friends here say you think the Dragon's not real and whoever made it is hiding in the monastery. I stood out there with my musket and some gumption and a prayer that what you're saying is true, so tell me, how certain are you?" He waited for Kiyoko to dismount from Archer before guiding the horse with his knees and riding back at a sprinting pace.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Incapable of fully restraining the surprise he still felt at hearing of Kiyoko's admission, Elias' eyes widened as the deputy confirmed Cassandra's story. Mention of the dragon helped to center him, though, and he responded with a confident tone.

"Sir Ioseph and I have conferred with the Lady Devy and Bessy, and I feel confident that this indeed some dire ruse. We are planning to travel to the tomb of Tula Belhaim, both to acquire the dragonslaying implements therein and to confirm that Aeteperax's bones remain buried there. We would welcome any help you might offer."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

THE LAW

Arriving once more at Talia's Inn, the young Hellknight-in-Training found that the front door was locked. The curtains were drawn and no physical movement could be seen from inside. After a few more attempts at opening the door, he knocked on it, and found no response. "TALIA!" He shouted to the lady inside and was met only with silence "SHE'S IN JAIL." Once more he heard nothing from the other side "I'M GIVING YOU TILL THE COUNT OF THREE TO OPEN THIS DOOR, He continued "ONE... TWO... TWO AND A HALF!... Ugh, Iomedae please forgive me. Like. So much."

His shoulders slumped briefly as he aimed his musket at the door handle, his fingers drumming against the smooth enchanted wood as he continued stalling for time and rambling to himself.

“I really really really need you to just, like, forget everything in the past few hours. I’m trying really hard here and **** keeps blowing up in my face and holy **** Ser Petrikov would have handled this situation so much better than me. Why the **** isn’t he here dealing with-GAH!"

Suddenly his rambling was interrupted as behind him Deputy Bellet stepped out of the garrison and shouted "TULWIN! What the bloody hell are you doing!"

"Oh, it's you," Yagenas said as he straightened himself out and recovered his senses, turning to face the deputy "It's Talia. She has evidence. She kicked me out and locked the door. She was also seconds away from engaging in pan-to-sword combat so I separated the two of them and now we’re here."

With a face half-way split between annoyance and sheer disbelief Deputy Bellet sighed and began to speak slowly "Tulwin," he began to tap his fingers together "I ... I am absolutely not paid enough for this. If you do not regain your senses, the Sheriff will help you find them. I'm willing to chalk up the error in your judgment to the sudden appearance of, well, a goddamn dragon. We're all adjusting. What ... what is it precisely you hoped to accomplish by NOT arresting someone accused of murder?" He paused briefly, his fingers ceasing their tapping as he quickly held up his hand to shush any response from the Armiger "No, don't speak. I'm dreadfully worried you try and defend yourself."

"Using her to kill a wizard?" Was all Yagenas could meekly offer "Bring me that Tian woman and her accomplice now."

Standing his ground, Yagenas jerked his thumb in the direction he had come from “You can get her yourself. I deposited them with the Taxmaster and Ioseph that way. Now if you don’t mind I have another crime I need to handle.” He began to turn back towards the locked door when Deputy Bellet snapped "Until the Sheriff is no longer addled by opium and has the use of his legs, I am in charge, Tulwin. As you are aiding a fugitive, I place you under arrest. Hand over your weapon and calmly follow me back to the garrison."

"What? You've got to be joking me."

Drawing his sword, Deputy Bellet gestured with it towards the earth infront of Yagenas "Musket on the ground."

Suddenly enraged, Yagenas' face turned bright red and he thrusted his finger at Bellet “I JUST ****ING STOOD OUTSIDE AND NEARLY FACED DOWN A DRAGON FOR THIS TOWN. I SAVED THE SHERIFF AND OTHERS FROM KOBOLDS!”

"I shall take that under consideration. Your weapon." He deadpanned.

Taking a firing stance, Yagenas raised his musket and aimed it at Deputy Bellet “I really do not want to hurt you. Take a long, long second to consider this.” The tension was thick in the air, Yagenas' fingers drumming against his musket as his trigger finger hovered dangerously close over the small piece of metal. Inclining his head towards Yagenas' boomstick, Bellet said "You've got your musket pointed at the acting Sheriff, Tulwin. You're the one who needs to reconsider. You're not thinking clearly. Put your weapon down and we'll step into the garrison and get this sorted like gentlemen. We'll know what there is to be done about this dragon ... or "wizard" later. Right now, we can obey the law. We can do our jobs."

Ten painstakingly slow seconds passed before finally Yagenas sighed and lowered his musket, standing up straight from his firing position “I had really rather hoped today wouldn’t end in violence or people getting thrown in cells. I had hoped that I could try and get someone to do the right thing and maybe sprinkle a bit of redemption around and we’d all forgive one another. But I guess that’s not today.” Nodding his head, Bellet extended his hand and waved for Yagenas to hand over his musket, and was swiftly met with the Armiger shaking his head “If you’re going to arrest that crazy sexy wild-haired giant bitch you’re gonna need this in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.”

With a bit of consideration, Bellet relented "Her accomplice as well." he scowls "As I said, I'll attribute this hysteria to the dragon. I needn't mention the gun pointed at my chest to the Sheriff."
    "Of course."

Putting his sword away, Deputy Bellet raised an eyebrow and looked at Yagenas as if for the first time "Did it ever once occur to you to ask where the body was?"

“Teacups were being thrown through the air sir. Today’s been a really ****ed up and weird day.” Yagenas replied with a shrug.

"I'm given to understand Mistress Orem has quite the arm. Well, you have your orders, Tulwin. We'll get to the bottom of this mess."

Climbing up onto Archer, Yagenas rode alongside Deputy Bellet and offered him a hand "Come on up." To which the Deputy accepted after glancing at the garrison "Oh, but before we leave are there any other guardsman you can spare? This bitch is crazy. Also huge." Quickly dismounting, Bellet went back to the garrison and returned with two of the baroness' personal guards. Seeing that all of them lacked a horse, Yagenas decided to just keep Archer unstrained and for himself before commenting "I'll trot slowly." And with that they embarked to find the Tian woman.

From 300 feet away, Kiyoko was able to see Yagenas, Bellet, and two house guards approaching. Her excellent skills in reading social situations and knowing when to get the **** out of dodge before the local law enforcement showed up told her that this was precisely one of those moments. "Well, that looks like a cheerful procession." The Tiefling drew her weapon and began to twirl it a few times but betrayed no intentions of charging forward. Seeing this, Yagenas merely shrugged to her once he was close enough for her to clearly see it.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2016-12-18 at 04:43 AM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

His eyes darting with some confusion between the oncoming group of guardsmen and the now armed Kiyoko, Elias finally found his words.

"So I take it this matter is less settled than I thought."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioseph

Ioseph sighed and looked to Elias.

"It appears not..."

He strode forward to meet the guard, placing himself between them and Kiyoko. He spoke to Kiyoko as he passed her.

"Please sheathe your weapons. Whatever you've done you can find penitence in helping to slay this dragon. And there's probably loot involved. At least more than you'll get for fighting the guards of a poor town in the middle of nowhere."

He continued past her until he met with the approaching guards and Yagenas.

"Deputies, I've heard a little about what happened at the inn. I understand you need to keep the peace, but a dragon vowed to destroy Belhaim not even an hour ago. A dragon declared war on your city and ipso facto has declared war on Taldor. As I do not see any other Knights of Taldor here, I am oath-bound to take charge and deal with this threat in the Grand-Prince's name. Everyone you see behind me has volunteered to stare down this threat with me. Please go tell Lady Devy that I, Sir Ioseph Olybrius Vega, Knight of Taldor, have taken the accused into my custody until such time as the dragon, or it's pretender, are slain, and that if the accused should survive this trial, I personally vouch for her freedom on the grounds that I sincerely doubt the intended punishment for her crimes compares to combating a dragon. Furthermore, I ask that each of you volunteer to come with us. It is a dragon after all. I will take all the help I can get."

Spoiler: Diplomacy roll?
    Show
    dice gods, do not forsake me now D:

(1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2016-12-18 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #328

Eren

*** Earlier, back when the company had first set out... ***

"I was looking for employment as a bard, actually. Everyone will pay for my sword, but I would rather not do that sort of work indefinitely. Guarding caravans and such, mercenary work you know?"
    "Such is the modern cornerstone of the economy - but it is certainly not for everyone. A lot of my former comrades will often ply their hand at the trade, and a lot of the time we see them back in a couple years, old arrow-wounds in their knees and looking for their old lives behind a desk."

"For my part, I never thought pursuing a smuggler would get me into... this." He waved his arms out and around. "But, everyone else back in Oppara was involved with more important matters at the time, so off they sent me - and here I am."

"I was hoping to trade my lute services at a tavern for room and board and well. That's off the table now, so I guess I'll have to look somewhere else once the town has been made safe again."
    Eren smiled at Ellarie, attempting to comfort her. "Abadar provides for all who wish to ply their trade at an honest living. Something else will come up, sooner or later."

It was then that they finally found Elias, and Ellarie brought her horse to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    "Sir Ioseph and I have conferred with the Lady Devy and Bessy, and I feel confident that this indeed some dire ruse. We are planning to travel to the tomb of Tula Belhaim, both to acquire the dragonslaying implements therein and to confirm that Aeteperax's bones remain buried there. We would welcome any help you might offer."
    Eren spoke, giving a firm nod at Elias' final words. "You have my bow and spells, and... also, if you should desire it, an apology for the heated exchange of words that was made last night. We cannot afford any discord amongst ourselves, not with things as they are now."

Tentatively, he extended a hand toward Elias in a gesture of truce.

*** Meanwhile, back in the present... ***

Eren's heart sank as Yagenas - who had earlier disappeared to try and retrieve the chest from Talia - returned, with several of the town guard in town.

It then rose a little as Ioseph interposed himself between Kiyoko and the guard, and spoke with the fervor of a paladin.

Realizing that he could not stand by and let him shoulder everything, Eren dismounted and tentatively walked over.

"By the authority invested in my as one of Abadar's Inquisitors, I will also help in monitoring this deal, and ensure that the parties involved comply."

Spoiler: Aid Another on Diplomacy!
    Show
    Let's see if we can push the result over 30.

Diplomacy: (1d20+3)[11] vs DC 10. A successful check will boost Ioseph's final result to 31.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Now back with the rest of the new arrivals in Belhaim, Cassandra halted Cyril and watched the proceedings. After it became apparent that there was further dispute over the altercation between the Tien woman and the Count, she became more interested. You fellas are on your own, the Druidess told herself silently, watching Sir Ioseph and Eren attempt to persuade the deputies to remit the woman to their custody. It wasn't that she disagreed with the sentiment: they would need all the help they could get to kill this dragon or wizard or whatever. Cassandra simply did not want to get involved in the argument and raise anyone else's ire in the town.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone

Bellett swung off of Yagenas' horse to afford himself from dignity. He stormed towards the party and shoved a gloved finger at Kiyoko and Iopseh from a safe distance. "You're all mad! I don't know what's going on. I don't know what you lot think is going on. Ancient books and wizards and dragons! I will have all of you in my custody once this affair as finished. And gods help you if you do not return with a dragon's head! Until this is done, if so much as an apple tart goes missing in this town ..."

He clenched his fists impotently. "At least have the bloody decency to tell me where I might find the Count's body! Some of us have actual jobs to do!"