A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Venaria: An Unexpected Letter (IC)

Westfort, Tempest

One way or another, each of you makes your way to Westfort. As its name suggests, it is a fort town in the western region of Tempest. You see the fort from a distance and make your way towards it. Westfort has a squat and square design, with 30 foot high walls and a singular gate on its eastern wall. The Forest of the Ancients looms dauntingly in the background as you approach the gate.

With minimal hassle, the guards let you through. The inside is not unlike many villages you’ve been to. There are a few dirt streets, each with many alleyways passing between buildings. As you walk the streets, you eventually find your destination: The Broken Hammer Tavern.

Inside, you see many adventurers crowded around tables, sharing an ale and a story. After a few minutes of mingling, you all find each other, thanks to your yellow feathers.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-11-29 at 03:38 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Venaria: An Unexpected Letter (IC)

Caerulea and Pet

A woman with blonde hair pulled into many tails is sitting at a table, her coat pulled close. Next to her is a large, dark red and black snake, which is flicking its tongue at a flag on of ale on the table. They merely wait.

A good trick for working with people is mirroring. Let them set the tone, then react in a similar fashion. This way you can seem agreeable, or at least on the same page. Make yourself one of them, rather than place yourself in another group.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

A large man decked out in furs and woven plants clumps his way to the table, carrying two plates of shepherd's pie. As he pulls his chair out with his foot he places one plate in front of the blonde waiting there.

With a grunt he sits down and digs in to the pie. After three greedy bites he tosses his yellow feather on the table.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Molly Nettles

Noticing the yellow feather immediately, the small woman looks at her own hat mounted with a giant fluffly canari-colored feather, contrasting heavily with her own slim black garb.
    She promptly moves a chair and sits in front of the fur-laden fighter, and removes the feather from her attire, putting it on top of his.

"Arrre you...", she pauses, thinking, and correcting her thick accent, "did you receive a... very purrsonal letter recently?".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

Masika picked up the mug of ale she had ordered, throwing down a couple of copper pieces on the bar as payment, and glanced around. It took her only a moment to spot the table that a young Shunned had been sitting with her own yellow feather. Now, though, she had been joined by a Northerner and an Imperial, both of which also had the feather. I suppose that makes the table the meeting place? she wondered with amusement, before quickly making her way over to them.

She quickly pulled up a chain and sat down with them, not saying anything just yet, simply observing them and fingering the yellow feather she herself wore pinned to the clasp of her cloak.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack
    Broken Hammer, Westfort

Half the shepherd's pie gone, the large man looks at the yellow feathers and the folks holding them.

"Tunstall Has-No-Pack. Got a letter. Little man attacked me for it. I broke him. Is this all of us?"
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2016-11-29 at 06:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Westfort, Tempest

You wait for some time and no other befeathered individuals arrive. The tavern is nothing special, just a small busy tavern that is over crowded with local adventurers looking to impress a bar maid or two. It is crowded and as the night progresses, the patrons of the bar are getting more and more drunk, so you thought nothing of it when a hooded man bumped into your table, muttered an apology and shuffled out the door. That is, until you looked back to your table and saw another letter in a familiar envelope.

Included in the envelope is a small map, leading from Westfort into the Forest of the Ancients for a short distance.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Don't mind me, just had to edit in important details that I forgot.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-11-30 at 11:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack
    Broken Hammer, Westport, Tempest

Having finished his plate and read the new letter, Tunstall does a quick headcount.
    "Hrmph. Four of us and I only brought two meals."

He leaves the table for a moment and returns with three more large servings of the pie. There is now a plate full of hearty food in front of each of us. Tunstall digs in once again.

"Four corners, four keys, four of us. Think there's a connection? Ha!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

"The number four does seem to be popping up a lot," Masika replied thoughtfully, picking at the food the Northerner had placed in front of her. "Though, I would like to put first things first. May I ask what all your names are?"

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

10. - Top - End - #10

Molly Nettles

Noticing the new letter, Molly starts thinking aloud:
    "By zis, I guessing noone herre writing the letterrs"

Bowing her head as Tunstall comes back with the food, she takes a bite, noticing that her appetite had happily come back after a long stressful and watchful travel.

Once Masika makes the remark, she quickly swallows, meticulously removes any crumbs left, and turns towards the center of the table, her eyes focusing on all of the group's members, one by one. All traces of her previously very strong accent are left when she addresses them: "My, oh my, I am totally forgetting my manners here! I am Molly Nettles, the traveling storyteller".

After that short sentence, she lightly tips her hat, and shines her brightest smile.
    Last edited by Xgya; 2016-11-30 at 03:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Caerulea and Pet

"Oh my! I've been sitting here like a fool and forgetting to introduce myself. I am Caerulea, and I am a stage magician," she smiles, pulling out a deck of cards. "Want to see some real life magic?" Pet rolls his eyes, before dunking his head in the mead.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack

Tunstall fixes his eyes on the woman who'd asked their names and asks between mouthfuls, "What about you? You have a name to share with us?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

For a moment. Masika locked eyes with the Norhterner. "I am known as Masika. And you?"

Extended Signature Link

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack

"Tunstall Has-No-Pack."

Tunstall takes a long look at the gathered women. "I'm in for learning more about these letters and the person behind them. You're all welcome to join me if you're up for it. I figure on spending the night here and heading off after daybreak."

15. - Top - End - #15

Molly Nettles

She joyously claps her hands at Caerula's proposition, visibly pleased.
    "I loving magic shows! Most popular storries always better when accompanied by colorful trrricks! Kids loving it too!"

She then calms down, wearily looking around, her excitement fading.

"Though we might want to be more discrete, given our current situation. Once we're clear of all obvious and most hidden dangers, I'd love to see you perform!"

Molly turns to the patron

"Are there any rooms available in this fine establishment?
    Last edited by Xgya; 2016-12-01 at 05:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Caerulea and Pet

Pet just shakes his head, then proceeds to drink again.

Caerulea leans in real close to Molly and whispers as well. "Oh of course. I do private parties, too. I'm a real magician, you see. What I do takes skill." She winks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

Masika nodded. "In that case, I suppose we have no more business for today. Shall we meet again in the morning?"

Extended Signature Link

18. - Top - End - #18

Westfort, Tempest

Ah, but if only it were as easy as meeting again in the morning!

As you talk among yourselves, you see a bright flash through the windows as the door is expelled from its hinges and sent flying across the room! Two figures, a man and a woman, stride through the doorway. They are wearing robes that are similar to the hooded assassin you dispatched when you receive the first letter. The woman shouts “Show yourself! You know who you are!” Behind the two robed figures, you can see a third robed figure who is much larger and is holding a greataxe in his hands.

Show
    Should you choose to initiate combat, roll for initiative. They are not surprised, as they are expecting a fight!
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-12-05 at 04:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack

Tunstall slowly stands up, gripping his massive hammer in one hand.
    "Now, I don't know who you're looking for, whelp, but you're obviously intending to shed blood. Tell you what, you point out who you're aiming to fight and take it outside. There are honest folk trying to eat and enjoy themselves."

He raises his hammer into a two-handed grip and sets himself for battle. "Choose otherwise and I'll be the one to toss you and your curs outside myself!"

Spoiler: initiative
    Show

(1d20+2)[12]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

Taking a sip of her ale, Masika looked blankly at the cloaked figures as Tunstall challenged them. "They seem a little rude, don't they?" she wondered aloud, though in a little more then a whisper. She put the mug down, a pair of knives appearing in her hand in the same instant.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+8)[23]

Extended Signature Link

21. - Top - End - #21

Molly Nettles

Timidly getting up, adjusting her clothes, Molly turns towards the newly arrived people, but also addresses the rest of the inn's customers and owners.

"Could I at least know who you're looking for and why you're looking for them?

I don't know why you're disturbing the patrons and customers enjoying a quite delicious meal, but I'm fairly certain most of them will help out if it means kicking out outwardly violent and obviously shady characters"

She pulls out her rapier, the thin blade still vibrating.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy, trying to influence the other customers into helping us kick them out.
    (1d20+13)[33]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Caerulea and pet

"Excuse me!' Caerulea says. "I am trying to enjoy a nice cup of mead." She looks around at everyone drawing their weapons, which prompts her to stand. "No, this shan't do. Everyone, please put away your weapons. I don't think the people you are looking for are here," she finishes, addressing the new arrivals with the last statement.

Show

diplomacy taking 10 (thanks, Naberius) 23
    Bluff (1d20+13)[20]

23. - Top - End - #23

Westfort, Tempest

The big one outside scratches his head at Caerulea's words "I dunno, boss. Maybe she's right."

The woman, however, scolds him. "Shut up and get ready to fight, you moron!" But is quickly drown out by angry patrons of the bar that are protesting their uncouth demeanor, thanks to Molly calling them out. The woman looks angrily at Molly. Looks like someone made a new enemy today.

Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-12-14 at 04:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Molly Nettles

Molly rises from her chair, ready to head upstairs, but still visibly shaken by the encounter.

"If that woman can killing me with a look, she having done it."

She regains her composure, and looks at the party

"Sleeping alone might prove to be more dangerous than I expected. Anyone here has ideas on having a good night's sleep without any unwanted interventions? Perhaps single rooms might prove deadlier than expected, and we're the only ones in the know that we know aren't a direct threat to one another. Any suggestions?

Another idea would be tailing them to see where they're coming from."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Without taking his eyes off the ruffians at the door, Tunstall tells Molly, "A room shared would be wise, though I'd rather meet these curs outside and be done with them. No sense in waiting for them to ambush us when we can remove the threat now."
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2016-12-14 at 06:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Caerulea and Pet

"We would not need to tail them if we had welcomed them with open arms," Caerulea says. "Now something will have to be done."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Masika
    Broken Hammer Tavern

"Let's just let the issue rest for now," Masika says as she puts her knives away. "There isn't any sense in causing more trouble than we need too. I say we just get a room and, if they're still around in the morning, we can take care of them then. Although... It may be wise to take turns on a sort of watch tonight, to ensure that they do not ambush us in our sleep."

Extended Signature Link

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tunstall Has-No-Pack

Tunstall lowers his hammer, "I'll take first watch then. One room will do. Sleep with your weapons ready, ladies."

29. - Top - End - #29

Molly Nettles

Molly turns back to the table, adressing the party.

"I'll take second watch then. I just hope this gets sorted out quickly."

30. - Top - End - #30

Westfort, Tempest

The innkeep offers a room to you for free and thanks you for keeping a scuffle out of his bar. The night passes relatively uneventfully. Your room has a window and through it you see the large man pacing the street outside the inn for a few hours during the night, but he does eventually leave around 3am or so.

You awake in the morning and, if you venture downstairs, the inn is empty of patrons at the moment.