Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e Prestige Class] The Master of the Mind (P.E.A.C.H.)

Master of the Mind
    A Homebrew Collaboration between JustToBrowse and Debatra

No mind is impenetrable.

Prerequisites:

• Capable of casting 2nd-level illusion and enchantment spells
    • Spellcraft 8 ranks
    • Spell Focus (Illusion) or Spell Focus (Enchantment)
    • Special: If you are a Wizard or other class that can specialize in schools of magic, you must be either an Enchanter or an Illusionist, and neither of those schools may be forbidden to you.

HD: d6

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
    1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Restricted casting, Mental Mage, bonus feat +1 level of existing class
    2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Once a fool +1 level of existing class
    3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Susceptible Mind +1 level of existing class
    4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Creeping vulnerability +1 level of existing class
    5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Crack the mind +1 level of existing class

Skills: 4 + Intelligence modifier per level. All skills are considered Class Skills for the Master of the Mind.
    Proficiencies: The Master of the Mind does not gain any new proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At every level, a Master of the Mind gains spells as though he had taken a level in a spellcasting class he already possessed. If he has more than one such class, he must choose one.

Restricted casting: Magic of the mind forces its users to specialize. The classes advanced by this class's spellcasting must use enchantment and illusion spells. If the class is a prepared caster (like wizard or cleric), one spell of each spell level that is prepared must be an illusion spell and one spell of each spell level that is prepared must be an enchantment spell. If the class is a spontaneous caster (like sorcerer or favored soul), one spell known of each spell level must be an illusion spell and one spell known of each spell level must be an enchantment spell. Only then can the Master of the Mind learn or prepare any other spells. If the class being advanced is not a prepared or spontaneous caster, talk to your DM to work out an acceptable substitute.

Mental Mage: If a Master of the Mind is a Wizard or other class that can specialize in schools of magic, he now counts as both an Enchanter and an Illusionist for all purposes when it would be beneficial to do so.

Bonus Feat: If a Master of the Mind does not have Spell Focus (Illusion), he gains it. If he does not have Spell Focus (Enchantment), he gains it.

Once a fool (Ex): By probing the minds of his targets, a Master of the Mind can cast his spells to greater effect. Any creature affected by one of his illusion spells has a -2 to saves against enchantment spells cast by him or his allies, and vice versa. This effect lasts for the duration of the spell, or for one round per caster level, whichever would be longer at the time of casting. If it is based on the duration of a spell that ends prematurely (such as by being dispelled), this effect ends when the spell does. The Master of the Mind may dismiss this effect on his turn as a free action.

Susceptible Mind (Su): Those who are under the effects of a Master of the Mind's spells are connected to his magic. Whenever a creature would suffer a save penalty from Once a fool, they can be affected with any spell of the appropriate school in addition to any of the spell's normal targets. This can only be done with spells one level lower than the Master of the Mind's maximum.

For example, if you affect a target with crushing despair, you can cast phantasmal killer on them and one other creature.

Creeping Vulnerability (Ex): The probing magic of a Master of the Mind grows stronger, allowing him to make even the weakest offense circumvent defenses. If a Master of the Mind fails to affect a creature with an enchantment or illusion spell, they still suffer the appropriate effects of Once a fool for one round per caster level.

Crack the Mind (Su): Those who devote themselves can conquer any mental bastion. As a standard action, a Master of the Mind can expend a spell slot and force a target to make a Will Save (DC 10 + level of expended slot + ability modifier that would affect that spell slot). A creature that fails this save loses any immunity to Enchantments, Illusions and [Mind-Affecting] effects, but has a +5 on saves against them. If the creature instead has a bonus against Enchantments, Illusions, [Mind-Affecting] effects or all spells (whichever is highest); that bonus is reduced by 5 or changed to +5, whichever is less. This effect lasts two rounds per caster level. While multiple uses of this ability stack with each other and can turn a low bonus into a penalty, it can not be used on a creature whose current bonus is +0 or less. The Master of the Mind may dismiss this effect on his turn as a free action.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Prestige Class] The Master of the Mind (P.E.A.C.H.)

Looks pretty solid. Some of the wording is a bit odd, but that's just the grit of 3.5e mechanics coming into play.

Once a Fool seems like the kind of ability which would typically scale off class level instead of caster level, but I get the feeling that it's intended as a long-lasting debuff for spells like Domination (as opposed to, say, Hideous Laughter). Likewise, Creeping Vulnerability should probably more directly state that it makes Once a Fool apply regardless of the target's saving throw result, but I'm drawing a blank on how one would do that right now.

Some slight minutiae to the wording of Crack the Mind, if you'll allow me the privilege.
    Those who devote themselves can conquer any mental bastion. As a standard action, a Master of the Mind can expend a spell slot and force a target to make a Will Save (DC 10 + the level of the expended spell slot + the ability score which that spell slot would use). A creature that fails this save loses any immunity to Enchantments, Illusions, and [Mind-Affecting] effects, but has a +5 on saves against them. If the creature instead has a bonus on saving throws against Enchantments, Illusions, [Mind-Affecting] effects, or all spells (whichever is highest), that bonus is either reduced by -5 or changed to +5, whichever is less. This effect lasts for two rounds per caster level. While multiple uses of this ability stack with each other, it cannot be used on a creature whose current saving throw bonus is +0 or less. The Master of the Mind may dismiss this effect on his turn as a free action.
    I didn't change how any of the mechanics work, but the wording might be a bit clearer (or it might not be; your call). My only real question is whether it's really meant to last for two rounds per caster level, and what happens if the target character recasts personal mind blank (for example) while this ability is in effect (as the current wording doesn't have a solution for that scenario).
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Prestige Class] The Master of the Mind (P.E.A.C.H.)

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Looks pretty solid. Some of the wording is a bit odd, but that's just the grit of 3.5e mechanics coming into play.
    Pretty much. As a follower and occasional contributor to the 3.5e Dysfunction threads, I'm a little paranoid about ambiguous wording.

Once a Fool seems like the kind of ability which would typically scale off class level instead of caster level, but I get the feeling that it's intended as a long-lasting debuff for spells like Domination (as opposed to, say, Hideous Laughter). Likewise, Creeping Vulnerability should probably more directly state that it makes Once a Fool apply regardless of the target's saving throw result, but I'm drawing a blank on how one would do that right now.
    Hmm...

"The probing magic of a Master of the Mind grows stronger, allowing him to make even the weakest offense circumvent defenses. Even if a creature successfully saves against a Master of the Mind's enchantment or illusion spell, they still suffer the effects of Once a Fool for one round per caster level." How about that?

Some slight minutiae to the wording of Crack the Mind, if you'll allow me the privilege.
    It's marked as PEACH for a reason.

I didn't change how any of the mechanics work, but the wording might be a bit clearer (or it might not be; your call). My only real question is whether it's really meant to last for two rounds per caster level, and what happens if the target character recasts personal mind blank (for example) while this ability is in effect (as the current wording doesn't have a solution for that scenario).
    Of this entire class, Crack the Mind is easily what went through the most editing to be sure it's clear. I'm not really seeing any more or less clarity in what you've posted. That said, I know exactly how CtM is supposed to work. I guess we'll see if there's any confusion.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2016-12-05 at 11:40 AM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.