I've already settled the math of the game(except Zord fights) and the Attributes/Skills. The problem is coming from turning some of the tropes into mechanics.

The System
The system is a slightly modified Mekton system. I've ported over the Character creation rules to act as a simplified system. So everything is decided with a d10 + Stat + Skill roll.

Currently I'm viewing progression as a 10 level system based on how many sessions are played. Each level up includes two major benefits, but also stat boosts.

The Meta Mechanic
My original idea was going to have a system tentatively called "Matching the Footage" where the players would spend points to modify the game in various ways:
  • Making the monster have some random weakness.
  • Switch locations to so where else.
  • Call in an Ally.

I'd like other uses for this, but haven't been able to come up with more. Though I like the idea of the GM having a similar system to buff the enemies.

The Zord Fight Rules
Currently there are few rules for Giant Monster fights. I know I want it so that a single creature, such as a Zord or Monster, in giant form gets an activation/turn after every enemy they go up against. So a Monster vs 5 Zords would get 4 extra turns, but 1v1 no one gets any extra turns.

Also when the players combine their Zords they take turns fighting in combat.

I want to keep the Giant Monster/Zord fights seperate from normal combat and to be at a different scale, but I don't know how to represent it in game mechanics.

What I am looking for help on?
  • Making "Matching the Footage" more useable and interesting.
  • Seperating Giant Monster fights from normal combat.
  • Making it more of a game and less of a fan shared storytelling system.