A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Garden OOC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Garden OOC

Each portion of all that is can be conceived as a garden full of plants or a pond of fish...
    But each branch of a plant, each leaf and fragile petal, each organ of an animal and each drop of its blood is also a similar garden or a similar pond...

The IC

Spoiler: Saved Posts
    Show

Spoiler: Posting Rules
    Show

- All IC posts should have your characters name at the top of them, in bold (stealing this from Megadungeon).

- Any OOC writing, including dice rolling, that doesn't take place in this thread should be spoilered

- If an IC post makes reference to another IC post, that post should be quoted. If it is a back and forth, such as dialogue, only quote the most recent/relevant post in your own.

- Stealing this one from Megadungeon too: In combat, I will try to post once all players have posted, or once 48 hours have elapsed since the last time I posted, whichever is sooner. Players who haven't posted in that time delay until the beginning of the following round.

- Players should let me know if they plan to be absent for 5 or more days.

- Please, please try to check your posts for correct spelling and grammar. That includes quotation marks around your characters dialogue, when they speak. If you notice mistakes in my grammar or spelling, please notify me in the OOC so I can fix them. Do not police anyone else's grammar unless they ask you to.

Table of Players
    Username Character Race Sheet Destiny Theme Song Reaction to Challenges
    Ambervael Sincerity Killoren Sheet Authority Battle Against a True Hero Challenges
    Drack Xalk human (when not god) Sheet The Memory Oh Death Challenges
    LoyalPaladin Palladian Lightwreath Illumian Sheet Gleam Now We Are Free Challenges
    Lyndworm Savasati Warforged Sheet The Revelation Theme Song Challenges
    Peccavi Cassius Illumian Sheet Passion Theme Song Challenges
    Scheming Wizard Gabriella Velodyne Human Sheet The Instrument Wasted Years Challenges
    Valerem The Nameless Warrior wolfman Sheet Gloom Megalovania Challenges

Spoiler: This contains mild spoilers about the structure of the cosmos, don't read if you want to remain wholly in the dark
    Show

The Garden is the commonly accepted model of the cosmos, although to be fair, it's only commonly accepted by those who have more than an inkling that anything exists outside of their own multiverse. In this model, all that exists is composed of just one building block: the monad, a simple substance(readers of Liebnez will note that this is essentially his theory of monadology with a few tweaks). "Simple" here means that which is one, has no parts, and is therefore indivisible.
    Monads are arranged in a hierarchy, which is rather too complex to describe in full detail, but in essence can be broken into 3 commonly conceivable tiers: (1) Created Monads (2) Souls with perception and memory
    (3) spirits, also known as rational souls. As no single, solitary monad can exist on it's own, and most solitary monads inhabit bodies, there is a corresponding hierarchy of (1) living beings and animals (2), the latter being either (2) non-reasonable or(3) reasonable. The placement in the hierarchy of monads has to do with the cognitive ability to grasp reality and the workings behind it, as well as the number of monads that a body is made up of (the fewer, and the close to a simple monad in and of itself, the higher on the hierarchy.
    Some monads can be said to dominate others as they perceive reality with greater clarity, but primarily one monad can be said to dominate another if it contains the reasons for the action(s) of others. Any body contains a monad that is dominant over the other monads that make up the body, and this dominant monad can be referred to as the soul.
    Composite substances, also known as matter, can be subdivided to almost no end, until, of course, a single indivisible monad is reached.
    To avoid confusion, we will now refer to things as "simple" and "complex" monads. Simple monads are the base of all creation and form the souls that inhabit bodies made of complex monads, as well as forming the complex monads we think of as planets, matter, planes, multiverses, etc. This potential subdivision is where the quote "Each portion of all that is can be conceived as a garden full of plants or a pond of fish... But each branch of a plant, each leaf and fragile petal, each organ of an animal and each drop of its blood is also a similar garden or a similar pond..." arises from.
    Complex monads share a cosmological heirarchy as well, best explained as (1)the substances that makes up a world (2) the worlds that make up a plane (3) the planes that make up a multiverse. This is as far as the layperson tends to comprehend of the model. The players, as epic level players, are becoming equipped to comprehend the next tier (4) the multiverses that make up entirety of The Garden.
    You'll notice a forth tier here. Indeed, that does imply that higher tiers of monads exist in the earlier hierarchies as well.

Now that you've absorbed that mass of bizarre information and are wondering how and why that will become relevant in our game (spoiler: I'm not going to tell you, you'll have to find out), here's a few specifics.

• Spacial Travel is considered extremely trivial by those who fully grasp at least the fundamentals of The Garden
    • This is due to the abundance of shortcuts between planes and multiverses that become apparent when one begins to recognize a few patterns in complex monads and their interaction with simple monads
    • There are of course too many planes and multiverses to list in a lifetime, but there are two areas of the cosmos that those who travel The Garden are somewhat familiar with:
    • The Wild: this is the common space spanning common "clusters" or "spheres" of multiverses. In this great void, beings quite beyond our comprehension of form hold sway over multiverses, interacting with them in some undecipherable way. It is best to ignore these beings as they ignore us. Running through the wild is an constructed and extremely complex monad called "The Line". If you took the time to look at its true nature it would be nothing but an extremely complex magical algorithm, but to common senses it manifests as areas of stability in the mutable Wild, taking the form of railroad tracks, roads, stairs, etc. In this way it is possible to traverse multiverses and the planes within them extremely quickly, should one be able to move quickly through the line, as there is very little it is not connected to, although it is no easy feat to reach. Gravity in the Wild and on the Line always pulls you towards the Line. All other planar qualities tend towards being uniquely and subjectively hospitable for all beings on the Line, meaning one could perceive it as cold, while another as very hot. Travelling to other multiverses or planes from the Line is incredibly easy, and any attempts to do so automatically succeed, and do not expend whatever resource would have been spent to transport you. All other magic functions as normal, though any attempts to change the nature of the Line in any way automatically fail. One who travels the Line frequently is referred to being "On the Line"
    • (the) Mirage is a fairly new addition to the Garden, although very few know of its origin. A void very accurately describes it, as it fills, or perhaps is, holes between multiverses, holes that perhaps ought not to exist. Its landscape is one of phantasms and shadows, as the wavering outlines of old planes and worlds spring into being, remain for a while, and then dissolve back into the murk. It appears to have no substance within it, yet those in it will invariably find themselves standing on what seems to be nothing more than congealed darkness. Gravity holds beings and objects to these patches of "solid ground", though there seems to be no limit to the direction in which one could walk: if one where to walk straight up, the ground would be solid underneath them and gravity would pull them in that direction. In other words, it's subjective gravity. Magic functions as normal. There is no breathable gas or substance of any sort, and the cold is enough to kill an exposed human in around a minute. Travelling to other multiverses or planes from the Mirage is incredibly easy, and any attempts to do so automatically succeed, and do not expend whatever resource would have been spent to transport you. Reaching it is another matter: it's nigh impossible without specifically using the line or another method to travel to a multiverse that once existed where the Mirage is now. Summons and Conjurations also act strangely in the Mirage: the desired effect occurs, but in no more than a minute the object in question dissolves into a figment and is lost. Beings simply remain in the Mirage as expected. The circle of travelers and academics that know of the Mirage are bewildered by it. Attempts are being made to locate lost multiverses, but due to the scope of that task even with powerful magics and the Line, at this point there is no way to know if they have been moved or entirely lost. Their appearance as figments seems to point to them remaining somewhere, but there is little conclusive evidence one way or another. The general public on the Line has very little knowledge of this, and what is known is thrown into the mix of stories of cosmos eating creatures and other such things. There's not a lot that can surprise a person who has already accepted the existence of multiple multiverses, and those who travel the Line have deep understanding of their own ignorance.

Wild Monads: the following are a sampling of the existing Wild Monads that have been documented.

Ikelae, the Sacred Vine

Oaken Shamberstaff

Pinnacle, the Prime

The Void
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2017-01-19 at 04:52 PM.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Garden OOC

Personally, I like being more aware. I find that I tend to react worse when things are unexpected, and that I'm way better at crafting a good story when I have a handle of whats going on, and that I enjoy it more because I'm less tense.

A destiny: (2d12)[2][11](13)

Sincerity
    Heir of Tempests
    Magistrate of the Fifth Horizon

Spoiler: Sincerity's Story
    Show
    The chosen one. Thats how it all began, and how it always begins. A world in peril, and a reincarnation of a hero.

The witch-queen defied the will of heaven, the Horizons, and had thrown down their champion: the Heir of Tempests. Unchecked, she expanded her rule and committed blasphemies to feed her magical arts. The Horizons lost control of the world's storms when their champion fell, the winds of the lands grew restless and dangerous, wild tempests raging across the land. Years passed, and the land fell into darkness.

But there was hope - the power of the heir passed on to Sincerity, and in time she was found by the agents of heaven, who taught her and honed her skills. In small ways they began to oppose the witch-queen; defying her enforcers, righting the wrongs done on a small scale. Soon though, they ventured further, tried more, and then went into outright rebellion. The war began in earnest, and finally the witch-queen turned her attention on the upstarts defying her. When her power came against them, they could not stand before it... until Sincerity found a way to commune with the Horizons, and finally unlocked her full power. The storms again fell into the command of the heavens, and with this power Sincerity clashed against the witch-queen and won. The world was safe.

And then things went on.

With the storms in balance, the witch-queen defeated, and the Horizons once more in control of the world, there was little for Sincerity to do. People began to rebuild, and found peace. For a time Sincerity did her best to help them with halting, uncertain efforts, and then the agents of heaven came to her again. They told her that the balance she was meant to keep was greater than a single world, and that she should go out and find where she was needed, and be the arbiter and champion she was supposed to be. Sincerity understood this, and so she left and began to wander the worlds. But it wasn't the same.

In the beginning, things had been clear. The witch-queen needed to be defeated, the storms put back in check. She had to develop her power, and struggle to win. It had been a clear structure, a clear enemy, and... odd as it seemed to admit, exhilarating. The people had known her and cheered for her. Now though... she didn't know what she was searching for, and when she found something, it rarely posed any difficulty to her. Worse, the people didn't know her, and often didn't trust her - they questioned her decisions, defied her judgments, and worst of all, wept at her actions. Sincerity tried harder to understand, to choose the right sides, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Now, Sincerity rarely acts. She watches and intervenes only a little, pausing to offer advice or help someone clearly in need. It doesn't satisfy her, or feel right, but she is no longer certain of what she should do. Guiltily, she longs for the days when the world was in peril, when she knew the people, and they cheered for her.

Spoiler: Ten Minute Background
    Show
    Concepts
    • Sincerity is a hero at heart. She has the desire, power, and courage to help others, and wanders the worlds trying to do so.
    • Over the years, Sincerity has become plagued by doubt. It has made her wiser and more discerning, but also hesitant to act. Her acts of heroism are often quiet or small, calculated to give others choices rather than assert her own.
    • A magician of immense power, Sincerity controls wind and weather, and can ride the ethereal winds across the planes. It has been a long time since Sincerity met anyone who could equal her.
    • While Sincerity is in name a herald and servant of the Horizons, a plane-spanning group of heavenly spirits that keep balance and strive for harmony, she receives minimal direction from them and rarely hears from them anymore. Mostly, she follows her own judgment.
    • Sincerity has an increasing desire to build, rather than fight. She wishes to create something lasting and worthwhile.

Goals
    • Sincerity simply wants to feel like a hero again, to find something that clearly needs to be done, an evil to be vanquished or a disaster to be corrected.
    • I want Sincerity to both reclaim some certainty, and to better come to acknowledge complexity. I think the company of another hero might help her along this path, even if they don't entirely agree.

Secrets
    • After the witch-queen was defeated, Sincerity found her tome - a book of spellwork, notes, and plans. She kept it, and has learned from it, and come to understand the tyrant she overthrew a bit better, even if she still thinks what she did was right. The witch-queen was, in her mind, attempting to rebel against the tyranny of the Horizons. No one knows Sincerity kept it. The Horizons believe it was destroyed.
    • Sincerity is far more powerful than anyone in the Horizons, and any previous Heir of Tempests. The Horizons have very little idea of how to direct her.

People
    • Dignity. Daughter of the witch-queen and heir to her magic, Dignity did not support her mother's tyranny... but she does share her hatred of the Horizons. She is determined to recover her mother's tome (though she believes it is in the hands of the Horizons) and to find a way to free the people from the control of the Horizons. She tells herself that she does not hate Sincerity, but the spite and bitterness she feels stem from a subconscious desire for revenge.
    • Lily of Brightmoor. Lily runs the Starmotes House, locally known as the Motes, and one of the finest establishments Sincerity has ever come across. Its something of a tea house, a gaming parlor, and art gallery all rolled into one, with a cheerful but slightly subdued atmosphere. Its also a great place to gather information, as people of import frequently pass through. Lily has a network of contacts and acquaintances that reaches long indeed, and can provide all kinds of assistance for a favor in return.
    • Third Voice Coiling. A bodiless messenger of the Horizons, Coil is a spirit of wind who sometimes shows up to offer Sincerity advice or direction. Coil's messages are often drawn from what the Horizons call wind-blown prophecy, which is rarely straight forward, and often cryptic. Interpreting and acting on it is usually left to Sincerity.

Memories
    • When Sincerity took control of the wild storms on her world, she felt the most assured she has ever been. She remembers that moment of strength and determination, when her heroism and power blended together into a seamless whole. Whenever she uses her magic now, she strives to recall and relive that moment.
    • Sincerity remembers slaying a nefarious bandit on a faraway world, a remorseless murderer and slaver. But more than that, she remembers the tears of his brother, and the hatred he directed at her for what she had done.
    • The first time Sincerity visited the Starmotes House remains in her mind. Rain beat on the roof and rippled across its ponds and stone garden, while she held a steaming cup in one hand and examined the pieces of a game in another. She recalls Lily's smile as she explained the rules, and the cheerful patience and advice of her first opponent.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Personally, I like being more aware. I find that I tend to react worse when things are unexpected, and that I'm way better at crafting a good story when I have a handle of whats going on, and that I enjoy it more because I'm less tense.

A destiny: [roll0]

Sincerity
    Heir of Tempests
    Magistrate of the Fifth Horizon

Spoiler: Sincerity's Story
    Show
    The chosen one. Thats how it all began, and how it always begins. A world in peril, and a reincarnation of a hero.

The witch-queen defied the will of heaven, the Horizons, and had thrown down their champion: the Heir of Tempests. Unchecked, she expanded her rule and committed blasphemies to feed her magical arts. The Horizons lost control of the world's storms when their champion fell, the winds of the lands grew restless and dangerous, wild tempests raging across the land. Years passed, and the land fell into darkness.

But there was hope - the power of the heir passed on to Sincerity, and in time she was found by the agents of heaven, who taught her and honed her skills. In small ways they began to oppose the witch-queen; defying her enforcers, righting the wrongs done on a small scale. Soon though, they ventured further, tried more, and then went into outright rebellion. The war began in earnest, and finally the witch-queen turned her attention on the upstarts defying her. When her power came against them, they could not stand before it... until Sincerity found a way to commune with the Horizons, and finally unlocked her full power. The storms again fell into the command of the heavens, and with this power Sincerity clashed against the witch-queen and won. The world was safe.

And then things went on.

With the storms in balance, the witch-queen defeated, and the Horizons once more in control of the world, there was little for Sincerity to do. People began to rebuild, and found peace. For a time Sincerity did her best to help them with halting, uncertain efforts, and then the agents of heaven came to her again. They told her that the balance she was meant to keep was greater than a single world, and that she should go out and find where she was needed, and be the arbiter and champion she was supposed to be. Sincerity understood this, and so she left and began to wander the worlds. But it wasn't the same.

In the beginning, things had been clear. The witch-queen needed to be defeated, the storms put back in check. She had to develop her power, and struggle to win. It had been a clear structure, a clear enemy, and... odd as it seemed to admit, exhilarating. The people had known her and cheered for her. Now though... she didn't know what she was searching for, and when she found something, it rarely posed any difficulty to her. Worse, the people didn't know her, and often didn't trust her - they questioned her decisions, defied her judgments, and worst of all, wept at her actions. Sincerity tried harder to understand, to choose the right sides, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Now, Sincerity rarely acts. She watches and intervenes only a little, pausing to offer advice or help someone clearly in need. It doesn't satisfy her, or feel right, but she is no longer certain of what she should do. Guiltily, she longs for the days when the world was in peril, when she knew the people, and they cheered for her.

Spoiler: Ten Minute Background
    Show
    Concepts
    • Sincerity is a hero at heart. She has the desire, power, and courage to help others, and wanders the worlds trying to do so.
    • Over the years, Sincerity has become plagued by doubt. It has made her wiser and more discerning, but also hesitant to act. Her acts of heroism are often quiet or small, calculated to give others choices rather than assert her own.
    • A magician of immense power, Sincerity controls wind and weather, and can ride the ethereal winds across the planes. It has been a long time since Sincerity met anyone who could equal her.
    • While Sincerity is in name a herald and servant of the Horizons, a plane-spanning group of heavenly spirits that keep balance and strive for harmony, she receives minimal direction from them and rarely hears from them anymore. Mostly, she follows her own judgment.
    • Sincerity has an increasing desire to build, rather than fight. She wishes to create something lasting and worthwhile.

Goals
    • Sincerity simply wants to feel like a hero again, to find something that clearly needs to be done, an evil to be vanquished or a disaster to be corrected.
    • I want Sincerity to both reclaim some certainty, and to better come to acknowledge complexity. I think the company of another hero might help her along this path, even if they don't entirely agree.

Secrets
    • After the witch-queen was defeated, Sincerity found her tome - a book of spellwork, notes, and plans. She kept it, and has learned from it, and come to understand the tyrant she overthrew a bit better, even if she still thinks what she did was right. The witch-queen was, in her mind, attempting to rebel against the tyranny of the Horizons. No one knows Sincerity kept it. The Horizons believe it was destroyed.
    • Sincerity is far more powerful than anyone in the Horizons, and any previous Heir of Tempests. The Horizons have very little idea of how to direct her.

People
    • Dignity. Daughter of the witch-queen and heir to her magic, Dignity did not support her mother's tyranny... but she does share her hatred of the Horizons. She is determined to recover her mother's tome (though she believes it is in the hands of the Horizons) and to find a way to free the people from the control of the Horizons. She tells herself that she does not hate Sincerity, but the spite and bitterness she feels stem from a subconscious desire for revenge.
    • Lily of Brightmoor. Lily runs the Starmotes House, locally known as the Motes, and one of the finest establishments Sincerity has ever come across. Its something of a tea house, a gaming parlor, and art gallery all rolled into one, with a cheerful but slightly subdued atmosphere. Its also a great place to gather information, as people of import frequently pass through. Lily has a network of contacts and acquaintances that reaches long indeed, and can provide all kinds of assistance for a favor in return.
    • Third Voice Coiling. A bodiless messenger of the Horizons, Coil is a spirit of wind who sometimes shows up to offer Sincerity advice or direction. Coil's messages are often drawn from what the Horizons call wind-blown prophecy, which is rarely straight forward, and often cryptic. Interpreting and acting on it is usually left to Sincerity.

Memories
    • When Sincerity took control of the wild storms on her world, she felt the most assured she has ever been. She remembers that moment of strength and determination, when her heroism and power blended together into a seamless whole. Whenever she uses her magic now, she strives to recall and relive that moment.
    • Sincerity remembers slaying a nefarious bandit on a faraway world, a remorseless murderer and slaver. But more than that, she remembers the tears of his brother, and the hatred he directed at her for what she had done.
    • The first time Sincerity visited the Starmotes House remains in her mind. Rain beat on the roof and rippled across its ponds and stone garden, while she held a steaming cup in one hand and examined the pieces of a game in another. She recalls Lily's smile as she explained the rules, and the cheerful patience and advice of her first opponent.

Destiny:
    - Authority -
    Dominion will be given unto you
    "Aver it"

... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

there was a speech color in here, purple.

Spoiler
    Show
    clak... clak... ... clak... clak... ... clak... clak
    The soft hollow sound of wood striking stone echoes faintly at the edge of the multiverse. It wasn't the mighty cracking of thunder, or even so loud as the heavy hoof-beats of a galloping horse, but a quiet tapping which was quickly subsumed into the noise put off by any given plane. Still, in that vacant nothingness it seemed eerily loud. Between multiverses the endless plane of shadow stretched out without end filled with naught but utter blackness. It could only be described as a void, the vast and empty void in which such cosmological conglomerations swirl like so many little grains of salt slowly mixing into a pool of water, lingering as they stubbornly refuse to dissolve.

It was from within that vast swirling nothingness that a figure slowly emerged. At first a vague silhouette, the figure of a man, thin and wispy, leaning lightly on a cane that was neither long nor short. As he drew closer his form grew gradually more and more distinct. His cloths were of a fine make, but exotic, as if they didn't belong here. Then his form and face came into focus, gaunt taught skin stretched across somewhat misshapen bones. In a good mood he smiled as he looked out across the world, his expression could hardly be described as anything but grim.

Spoiler
    Show

He had titles, he had names, faintly he wondered if any in this multiverse had even heard a one of them. "Xalk" That is the name he chose for this world. Xalk was a deity, or did that word no longer apply to him? There was no more power to be brought by a following and worship, there was even those he had gathered to his side could do naught but keep the nuisances of the world at bay, so he'd long since devoured them before the start of his journey. Yes, that was the only way for him to further grow, to consume the gods who dwelt alongside him. Not their flesh, nor their followers, but their spirit, their soul, that heart of belief that had accumulated over eons of being worshiped by endless masses. Yes, the taste was electrifying, but it was not a food to be eaten with fork and knife. No, certain condition need be met. He was no wild beast who charged through worlds committing deicide wherever he went, but rather a big fish who prowled the pond watching lesser fish scatter as he looks for suitable prey.

Casting several cursory wards to supplement his own natural immortality he began to wonder the planes of this world. Hardly at all did he act, yet two gods fell comfortably into his waiting stomach. To think, it had hardly been five eons since he'd arrived, and he hadn't yet visited even half the planes of this world. How considerate they must have been to feed him so well. By all standards Xalk was tame and civil, from his presence and bearing alone those around him could tell how terribly outclassed they were, and so all issues were resolved with but a glance, or at most a short exchange. Certainly those stronger then him existed, but he'd hardly expect to find them in the next several multiverses. Such existences were rare, but conversely his simpler wards could probably be shattered by billions of heroes, dragons, and gods across the world over, so he kept with his slow pace, no need to waste effort when patience would give you the same without loss.

Initially he hadn't been a god of fear, but it seemed to suit him just fine at present, so he kept with it as he walked on through deserts and mountains, through grassy knolls and forested planes, through flying citadels and busy market streets, slowly drifting through the world as one body among the countless masses, viewing all on this world as his slow gait carried him through.

I prefer not knowing as I notice it leaking in otherwise... That is to say that I view that worse reaction as better in some ways.

Rolls: 9, 4
    Last edited by drack; 2016-12-10 at 01:54 PM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    there was a speech color in here, purple.

Spoiler
    Show
    The soft hollow sound of wood striking stone echoes faintly at the edge of the multiverse. It wasn't the mighty cracking of thunder, or even so loud as the heavy hoof-beats of a galloping horse, but a quiet tapping which was quickly subsumed into the noise put off by any given plane. Still, in that vacant nothingness it seemed eerily loud. Between multiverses the endless plane of shadow stretched out without end filled with naught but utter blackness. It could only be described as a void, the vast and empty void in which such cosmological conglomerations swirl like so many little grains of salt slowly mixing into a pool of water, lingering as they stubbornly refuse to dissolve.

It was from within that vast swirling nothingness that a figure slowly emerged. At first a vague silhouette, the figure of a man, thin and wispy, leaning lightly on a cane that was neither long nor short. As he drew closer his form grew gradually more and more distinct. His cloths were of a fine make, but exotic, as if they didn't belong here. Then his form and face came into focus, gaunt taught skin stretched across somewhat misshapen bones. In a good mood he smiled as he looked out across the world, his expression could hardly be described as anything but grim.

Spoiler
    Show

He had titles, he had names, faintly he wondered if any in this multiverse had even heard a one of them. "Xalk" That is the name he chose for this world. Xalk was a deity, or did that word no longer apply to him? There was no more power to be brought by a following and worship, there was even those he had gathered to his side could do naught but keep the nuisances of the world at bay, so he'd long since devoured them before the start of his journey. Yes, that was the only way for him to further grow, to consume the gods who dwelt alongside him. Not their flesh, nor their followers, but their spirit, their soul, that heart of belief that had accumulated over eons of being worshiped by endless masses. Yes, the taste was electrifying, but it was not a food to be eaten with fork and knife. No, certain condition need be met. He was no wild beast who charged through worlds committing deicide wherever he went, but rather a big fish who prowled the pond watching lesser fish scatter as he looks for suitable prey.

Casting several cursory wards to supplement his own natural immortality he began to wonder the planes of this world. Hardly at all did he act, yet two gods fell comfortably into his waiting stomach. To think, it had hardly been five eons since he'd arrived, and he hadn't yet visited even half the planes of this world. How considerate they must have been to feed him so well. By all standards Xalk was tame and civil, from his presence and bearing alone those around him could tell how terribly outclassed they were, and so all issues were resolved with but a glance, or at most a short exchange. Certainly those stronger then him existed, but he'd hardly expect to find them in the next several multiverses. Such existences were rare, but conversely his simpler wards could probably be shattered by billions of heroes, dragons, and gods across the world over, so he kept with his slow pace, no need to waste effort when patience would give you the same without loss.

Initially he hadn't been a god of fear, but it seemed to suit him just fine at present, so he kept with it as he walked on through deserts and mountains, through grassy knolls and forested planes, through flying citadels and busy market streets, slowly drifting through the world as one body among the countless masses, viewing all on this world as his slow gait carried him through.

I prefer not knowing as I notice it leaking in otherwise... That is to say that I view that worse reaction as better in some ways.

Rolls: 9, 4
    Destiny:
    - The Memory -
    Something of you will remain
    "Prevaricate"

With regards to those two very different opinions then, how about I just spoiler the relevant information so that people who want to read it can? The cooperative worldbuilding is not reliant on that outside information, so it's purely knowledge for knowledge sake.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm for not knowing much about the world, since I feel like that'll make the game more authentic vs practiced. I also feel like it's sort of core to Palladian's character.

I'll create a big ol' summary of Palladian in this post.

Destiny
    Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    - Gleam -
    Lost in light
    "Whoever you can"
    (1d12)[4]
    (1d12)[8]

Speech Color
    Dark Gray

Requested Homebrew
    Heavens Wrath by our very own Draconium.
    Incarnation by the amazing Zaydos.

LoyalPaladin's Character
    He's a planar traveler that isn't sure why he's been traveling. His home plane/world was thrown into chaos when their deity of good was murdered by another deity. Unbeknownst to him, there was a minor prophecy written about him that entailed him becoming a replacement for the deity that was murdered. Though, loosely interpreted it may have just read he'd be a great hero. The deities have been whisking him about the planescape to prove his worth for some time and he just doesn't know why. But he's willing to fight for good, even if that means being forced into fight after fight.

Spoiler: Palladian Lightwreath
    Show

Spoiler: Appearance & Personality
    Show

Palladian is an average height, blonde, man with bright blue eyes and a patient demeanor. He practices rigorously with his sword, hoping to achieve new levels of greatness with it and despite his superiority to common folk, he is incredibly humble. He's the hero who would help a child retrieve their kite from a tree, just before setting off for a cosmic war.
    Spoiler: Background
    Show

Palladian sat under his favorite tree, he liked it because it overlooked the whole down. He had just finished a particularly good apple that a little local girl had given him earlier that day as "payment" for telling all of her and her friends a "story" about his last adventure. It was a nice change of pace, really. His life had been all sorts of up and down since he'd left home. One moment the deity of goodness is killed and the next, your whole world is in danger.

That sounds intense, but that wasn't the half of it. Palladian sighed as he thought back. He'd once been just an average man. He married to woman of his dreams, he had been a soldier that retired early to take care of a farm his parents left him, but when White Knight was killed, the realm began to crumble. Foreign armies marched on the land and he was forced to take up arms. He'd even gotten into direct combat with the enemy's warlord... but when he was about to be struck down, he was suddenly elsewhere. That had been his life ever since. He'd been tossed into dangerous situations so many times that he'd almost forgotten what it was like to relax. Maybe that's why he was here now? To remember why he fought for good?

It was always the same story, complete a quest and be immediately teleported into another adventure. No explanation, no congratulations, just another world in need of a hero. Sometimes he wasn't sure if he was even in the same universe anymore. The stars were different every time he was teleported, so he assumed he wasn't. He was so lost in thought that he jumped a little when he heard a distant roar in the distance. Right. Of course he wasn't just here to relax. As was his standard procedure when being teleported, he'd gathered some information about the world, but he wasn't sure what an army of dragonborn or a raid on a local inn had to do with a cataclysmic event that would warrant him... still, if he was needed, he'd be there to help. Now what was the inn's name? Something to do with a home. He adjusted his sheath and began to run down the hill.
    Spoiler: 10-Minute Background
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.
    • He believe that good will prevail over evil.
    • He believes that every act, no matter how small, is an important decision in life.
    • He will lay down his life for an ally.
    • He constantly tries to coach others away from doing evil.
    • He maintains a well kept and friendly appearance.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character.
    • To inspire all who see him to do good.
    • To lay low the wicked and evil or bring them to the side of good.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.
    • (Known) His wife was murdered by an evil warlord, he doesn't talk about it.
    • (Unknown) His wife was not actually murdered. She was, in fact, evil herself and was getting close to Palladian because she believe there was a prophecy telling of his coming greatness. She staged her death when she realized she wasn't strong enough to overcome ancient magics protecting him from her.

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
    • (Friendly) Dorian, an ex-sellsword that was sent to Baator for his life's deeds, only to be given a second chance by a divine being. A large inspiration to Palladian.
    • (Friendly) Evenstar, a gold dragon that Palladian befriended just before his passing of old age. Palladian doesn't know of his passing yet, but he passed defending the cause of good.
    • (Hostile) Tryst, Palladian's supposedly dead wife. She plots to murder him so that he can't stand in the way of her ideal future of evil.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
    • (Memory) Pulling his sword from an ancient ruin.
    • (Mannerism) He often gives people the benefit of the doubt, even though they may not have earned it.
    • (Quirk) He constantly cleans his equipment.

Spoiler: Homebrew Feats
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Incredible Aura [Epic]
    You are an icon of courage and morality. When you draw near the righteous take heart, and the wicked hide their faces and cower.
    Prerequisites: Aura of Courage, Knowledge (Religion) 24 ranks, ability to cast magic circle against evil
    Benefit: Your Aura of Courage extends to 60 feet, and grants a +8 sacred bonus against fear effects instead of +4 morale bonus.

In addition, you gain the benefits of a constant protection against evil, even if you are unconscious. You may extend this effect to others, imbuing the area of your Aura of Courage with the effects of magic circle against evil, though you must remain conscious to do so. You may dismiss or activate either of these effects as a free action.

Lastly, as a standard action you can rally your allies. Any number of allies within your Aura of Courage may immediately make a second attempt to save against a single ongoing spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability chosen by you. The chosen effect ends immediately for anyone who makes a successful save, though instantaneous effects such as damage or ability damage are not reversed. You may only use this to grant one additional save against any specific effect, and cannot grant a save against an ability that does not normally allow a saving throw.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-12-14 at 05:01 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I'll be taking Bold Gray... Or I would be if Chrome would be playing ball.

Can someone make gray so I can quote you and copy it for myself?

(2d12)[5][4](9)

Anyway, I think I have to support the view about not knowing much about the world. It fits Nameless' character perfectly. Not only he not exactly a person to sit down and try to find out how the world would work, and why there is so many planes. But he's a fighter, not a warrior. He might know quite a bit (which I really wish I had the skill-points spare to show), but at the same time, he's a warrior first and foremost. Not a thinker.
    Last edited by Valerem; 2016-12-10 at 02:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

gray
    Destiny:
    - The Memory -
    Something of you will remain
    "Prevaricate"
    Ooh, got a good one for me.
    With regards to those two very different opinions then, how about I just spoiler the relevant information so that people who want to read it can? The cooperative worldbuilding is not reliant on that outside information, so it's purely knowledge for knowledge sake.
    Well there are more then two of us. Should there be more interested in knowing I'm fine knowing, hows about going all in or all out? Other people's opinions?
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    I'm for not knowing much about the world, since I feel like that'll make the game more authentic vs practiced. I also feel like it's sort of core to Palladian's character.

I'll created a big ol' summary of Palladian in this post.

Destiny
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Speech Color
    Dark Gray

Requested Homebrew
    Heavens Wrath by our very own Draconium.
    Incarnation by the amazing Zaydos.

LoyalPaladin's Character
    He's a planar traveler that isn't sure why he's been traveling. His home plane/world was thrown into chaos when their deity of good was murdered by another deity. Unbeknownst to him, there was a minor prophecy written about him that entailed him becoming a replacement for the deity that was murdered. Though, loosely interpreted it may have just read he'd be a great hero. The deities have been whisking him about the planescape to prove his worth for some time and he just doesn't know why. But he's willing to fight for good, even if that means being forced into fight after fight.

Spoiler: Palladian Lightwreath
    Show

Spoiler: Appearance & Personality
    Show

Palladian is an average height, blonde, man with bright blue eyes and a patient demeanor. He practices rigorously with his sword, hoping to achieve new levels of greatness with it and despite his superiority to common folk, he is incredibly humble. He's the hero who would help a child retrieve their kite from a tree, just before setting off for a cosmic war.
    Spoiler: Background
    Show

Palladian sat under his favorite tree, he liked it because it overlooked the whole down. He had just finished a particularly good apple that a little local girl had given him earlier that day as "payment" for telling all of her and her friends a "story" about his last adventure. It was a nice change of pace, really. His life had been all sorts of up and down since he'd left home. One moment the deity of goodness is killed and the next, your whole world is in danger.

That sounds intense, but that wasn't the half of it. Palladian sighed as he thought back. He'd once been just an average man. He married to woman of his dreams, he had been a soldier that retired early to take care of a farm his parents left him, but when White Knight was killed, the realm began to crumble. Foreign armies marched on the land and he was forced to take up arms. He'd even gotten into direct combat with the enemy's warlord... but when he was about to be struck down, he was suddenly elsewhere. That had been his life ever since. He'd been tossed into dangerous situations so many times that he'd almost forgotten what it was like to relax. Maybe that's why he was here now? To remember why he fought for good?

It was always the same story, complete a quest and be immediately teleported into another adventure. No explanation, no congratulations, just another world in need of a hero. Sometimes he wasn't sure if he was even in the same universe anymore. The stars were different every time he was teleported, so he assumed he wasn't. He was so lost in thought that he jumped a little when he heard a distant roar in the distance. Right. Of course he wasn't just here to relax. As was his standard procedure when being teleported, he'd gathered some information about the world, but he wasn't sure what an army of dragonborn or a raid on a local inn had to do with a cataclysmic event that would warrant him... still, if he was needed, he'd be there to help. Now what was the inn's name? Something to do with a home. He adjusted his sheath and began to run down the hill.
    Spoiler: 10-Minute Background
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.
    • He believe that good will prevail over evil.
    • He believes that every act, no matter how small, is an important decision in life.
    • He will lay down his life for an ally.
    • He constantly tries to coach others away from doing evil.
    • He maintains a well kept and friendly appearance.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character.
    • To inspire all who see him to do good.
    • To lay low the wicked and evil or bring them to the side of good.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.
    • (Known) His wife was murdered by an evil warlord, he doesn't talk about it.
    • (Unknown) His wife was not actually murdered. She was, in fact, evil herself and was getting close to Palladian because she believe there was a prophecy telling of his coming greatness. She staged her death when she realized she wasn't strong enough to overcome ancient magics protecting him from her.

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
    • (Friendly) Dorian, an ex-sellsword that was sent to Baator for his life's deeds, only to be given a second chance by a divine being. A large inspiration to Palladian.
    • (Friendly) Evenstar, a gold dragon that Palladian befriended just before his passing of old age. Palladian doesn't know of his passing yet, but he passed defending the cause of good.
    • (Hostile) Tryst, Palladian's supposedly dead wife. She plots to murder him so that he can't stand in the way of her ideal future of evil.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
    • (Memory) Pulling his sword from an ancient ruin.
    • (Mannerism) He often gives people the benefit of the doubt, even though they may not have earned it.
    • (Quirk) He constantly cleans his equipment.

Destiny:
    - Gleam -
    Lost in light
    "Whoever you can"

Quote Originally Posted by Valerem View Post

[roll0]
    Destiny:
    - Gloom -
    There is darkness
    "... as I swore I would"

10. - Top - End - #10

Well there are more then two of us. Should there be more interested in knowing I'm fine knowing, hows about going all in or all out? Other people's opinions?
    I agree with Drack. All in or all out sounds better. I'm fine knowing if everybody else wants that. Otherwise, I think that's what Gather Information and Knowledge skill checks are for!

Destiny:
    - Gleam -
    Lost in light
    "Whoever you can"
    It's uncanny how fitting that is.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-12-10 at 02:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I usually try to learn as much as possible about a campaign setting before building a character or planning an adventure. Honestly, I'm noticing that this habit tends to slow me down and clutter my ideas with too many details. Given that my character is already pretty much done (in concept/fluff, at least), and the overall theme of exploring the unknown... I'm partial to moving forward with less knowledge, as opposed to more. Only slightly, though, and I'm more than happy to go with the party consensus. Spoilering info works, too.

Destiny Roll:
    (2d12)[11][7](18)

AmberVael, super psyched you got in. I don't recall having played with you before, but I was impressed with the cohesion of your concept and intrigued by our similarities. This looks fun.

Drack, you I know. Your character looks good (not physically of course, but anyone who resembles the Crypt Keeper can't be all bad), but I have a soft spot for fear builds and displaced gods, so I could be biased.

If we're claiming speech colors, I'm partial to 007777.

Copy/Pasted Background:
    Spoiler: Savasati, Psiforged Juggernaut
    Show
    Appearance:
    He appears as a large man made of stone and wood fibers wearing an extremely heavy set of adamantine full plate. Sharp crystals sprout from his body and armor; they crown his head, grow from his knees and elbows, and jut in twisting spires down his back and shoulders. His oversized hands have only three thick fingers and a thumb while his feet have only two broad toes. His face loosely resembles a human's, but with a toothless jaw, heavy brow line, and no nose or hair.

For reference:
    Warforged Juggernaut
    Psiforged

Background:
    Savasati is a forged man, built by the born to fight their battles. Most served perfectly, with fewer errors or failures than any born men could claim. He was among the last of the forged men produced, one of only six of his design. The psiforged were built with inherent psionic capabilities, and were each trained from creation to obey without question. Many battles were fought and many victories were won, and throughout all Savasati never faltered.
    The war lasted many more years, but to the forged men it was over all too soon. Purpose-built for battle, most were lost without something to fight. Savasati suffered especially, as the upgrades to his mind and body bled away any "humanity" he may have once had. He was a weapon with no wielder, and his monstrous form did him few favors in peacetime. Savasati found himself demoted from living siege engine to living crane, useful mostly as a showpiece. An unmatched warrior now erected monuments, fell towers, and tilled fields. A golden sword beaten into a plowshare.
    At first he was content to follow orders, but the nature of his new duties began to grate on him. In short, he was bored. Presented with time to think on his own and not much else, the forged man did something he'd never done before: he began questioning his instructions.
    A few years of questioning led to a kind of understanding that Savasati had never known he was missing. It was only a matter of time before he realized that although there was much of the world that he had seen, there was so very much more that he hadn't. One day the forged man decided to follow a stray thought, away from his handlers and outside the city. He kept following that thought, into towns, through forests, over mountains, and under oceans. He walked to the ends of the earth, and he stepped off.

I've decided to use the 10 Minute Background, so here goes.

Step 1: Write five things about your character’s concept and background.
    • Savasati is based on a character I had been toying with for another game that fell through; he was meant to be a sort of living wrecking ball and at one point was meant to have a flail or meteor hammer to sort of represent that (I haven't totally ruled it out, but it looks like his main weapon might be body slams right now). He's honestly a bit of a trope character, but it's one that I personally find interesting and would very much like to explore at some point.
    • He still considers himself a soldier foremost, but has no cause to fight for. Abandoning his "post" is a source of mild shame for him, though he has mostly forgiven himself for it.
    • He greatly values loyalty and honesty, and longs for the action and brotherhood he had in his early life.
    • On his travels, Savasati has come to admire the beauty and cruelty of the natural world. Seeing the juxtaposition of peace and savagery in every facet of his world has helped him to understand himself, if not others.
    • His travels have also sharpened the mind his augmentations once dulled, but his thoughts are still alien to most born men. He has trouble identifying and communicating with others, but sees this as an unavoidable truth rather than a flaw or defect.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.
    • I think that it would be very cool for Savasati to go back to his roots, as it were, and show what it is that made him such a spectacle in the first place. Walls, chains, spirits, doesn't matter: he breaks things not meant to be broken.
    • It would also be interesting for me if we get to explore his softer side for a bit, maybe setting up a permanent home? It would have a lot of meaning for an immortal nomad.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.
    • Savasati freely shares his story with any who ask, but he leaves out many details about the war and the things he did to win it. Particularly, there is an event in the early days of his creation when his powers were still raw and unknown to him. He caused the deaths of a number of allies, forged and born alike, when he brought down an enemy airship atop them. After learning of nightmares, Savasati is thankful that he does not sleep.
    • Kirbac (described below) has built his own creation forge with the help of a coerced master artificer. He means to restart the Last War and return purpose to his people. Without the specialized knowledge of their original creator, Kirbac must obtain a piece of crystal from each of the psiforged in order to create more of his own kind.

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
    • Esek, a fellow psiforged and the closest thing to a friend that Savasati has ever known. They served together in the Last War and helped each other to understand and control their powers. When the war ended, Esek was taken far away to act as a show of their leader's power and skill. Savasati never saw him again, though he looked for him many times.
    • Isaret, the artificer who designed, trained, and equipped the psiforged. She was the first born face any of them saw, and was their main healer and teacher throughout the war. When it ended, Isaret was swept away to work on other projects, but she kept in contact with Savasati for the first few years.
    • Kirbac, another psiforged, and one of the few forged men with a very strong personality from creation. Kirbac almost immediately took a disliking to the born and seemed to take pleasure dismantling them. He was injured when Savasati downed the airship, and has never forgiven the him for his "betrayal."

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has.
    • Savasati, like all forged men, does not sleep. Never in his very long life has he lost consciousness, so he has an unbroken string of memories leading all the way back to his very first day. In the beginning there was nothing. Then, everything, all at once. Just as his eyes were given sight, they were blinded by the tapestry of the world before him. Just as his ears were given hearing, they were deafened by the choir of sounds all around him. As his nerves fired for the first time there was indescribable agony, but also a joy too pure for words. It was horrible. It was wonderful. It was life.
    • More to come!
    • Ditto.

Quick mechanical description:
    Warforged JuggernautECS, War MindPsiHb, Psiforged BodyMoE, and KnockbackRoS are all must-haves, and probably at least a few DungeoncrasherDun levels. The idea is to go the classic Domino RushCWar route with a twist of Sweeping Strike for the whole Sauron in the Fellowship flashback effect. That's definitely the cheesiest thing I have planned, but I might work in a meteor hammerDr319 for that old fashioned wrecking ball feel. I may try to add in Divine CrusaderCDiv into Landforged WalkerSoX if I feel like I have room, but neither is required.

There's a Text Color button at the top of your text window when you make a post. It should have a dropdown menu with a few colors. (I'm also using Chrome, for whatever it's worth.)

The code is [color=######]whatever text you want here[/color]. You can replace the hashes with color names, like red or gray, to get the desired color. If you're a control freak with a mediocre understanding of hex colors, you can also "hack" a custom color like I did earlier in the post.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    I usually try to learn as much as possible about a campaign setting before building a character or planning an adventure. Honestly, I'm noticing that this habit tends to slow me down and clutter my ideas with too many details. Given that my character is already pretty much done (in concept/fluff, at least), and the overall theme of exploring the unknown... I'm partial to moving forward with less knowledge, as opposed to more. Only slightly, though, and I'm more than happy to go with the party consensus. Spoilering info works, too.

Destiny Roll:
    [roll0]

AmberVael, super psyched you got in. I don't recall having played with you before, but I was impressed with the cohesion of your concept and intrigued by our similarities. This looks fun.

Drack, you I know. Your character looks good (not physically of course, but anyone who resembles the Crypt Keeper can't be all bad), but I have a soft spot for fear builds and displaced gods, so I could be biased.

If we're claiming speech colors, I'm partial to 007777.

Copy/Pasted Background:
    Spoiler: Savasati, Psiforged Juggernaut
    Show
    Appearance:
    He appears as a large man made of stone and wood fibers wearing an extremely heavy set of adamantine full plate. Sharp crystals sprout from his body and armor; they crown his head, grow from his knees and elbows, and jut in twisting spires down his back and shoulders. His oversized hands have only three thick fingers and a thumb while his feet have only two broad toes. His face loosely resembles a human's, but with a toothless jaw, heavy brow line, and no nose or hair.

For reference:
    Warforged Juggernaut
    Psiforged

Background:
    Savasati is a forged man, built by the born to fight their battles. Most served perfectly, with fewer errors or failures than any born men could claim. He was among the last of the forged men produced, one of only six of his design. The psiforged were built with inherent psionic capabilities, and were each trained from creation to obey without question. Many battles were fought and many victories were won, and throughout all Savasati never faltered.
    The war lasted many more years, but to the forged men it was over all too soon. Purpose-built for battle, most were lost without something to fight. Savasati suffered especially, as the upgrades to his mind and body bled away any "humanity" he may have once had. He was a weapon with no wielder, and his monstrous form did him few favors in peacetime. Savasati found himself demoted from living siege engine to living crane, useful mostly as a showpiece. An unmatched warrior now erected monuments, fell towers, and tilled fields. A golden sword beaten into a plowshare.
    At first he was content to follow orders, but the nature of his new duties began to grate on him. In short, he was bored. Presented with time to think on his own and not much else, the forged man did something he'd never done before: he began questioning his instructions.
    A few years of questioning led to a kind of understanding that Savasati had never known he was missing. It was only a matter of time before he realized that although there was much of the world that he had seen, there was so very much more that he hadn't. One day the forged man decided to follow a stray thought, away from his handlers and outside the city. He kept following that thought, into towns, through forests, over mountains, and under oceans. He walked to the ends of the earth, and he stepped off.

I've decided to use the 10 Minute Background, so here goes.

Step 1: Write five things about your character’s concept and background.
    • Savasati is based on a character I had been toying with for another game that fell through; he was meant to be a sort of living wrecking ball and at one point was meant to have a flail or meteor hammer to sort of represent that (I haven't totally ruled it out, but it looks like his main weapon might be body slams right now). He's honestly a bit of a trope character, but it's one that I personally find interesting and would very much like to explore at some point.
    • He still considers himself a soldier foremost, but has no cause to fight for. Abandoning his "post" is a source of mild shame for him, though he has mostly forgiven himself for it.
    • He greatly values loyalty and honesty, and longs for the action and brotherhood he had in his early life.
    • On his travels, Savasati has come to admire the beauty and cruelty of the natural world. Seeing the juxtaposition of peace and savagery in every facet of his world has helped him to understand himself, if not others.
    • His travels have also sharpened the mind his augmentations once dulled, but his thoughts are still alien to most born men. He has trouble identifying and communicating with others, but sees this as an unavoidable truth rather than a flaw or defect.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.
    • I think that it would be very cool for Savasati to go back to his roots, as it were, and show what it is that made him such a spectacle in the first place. Walls, chains, spirits, doesn't matter: he breaks things not meant to be broken.
    • It would also be interesting for me if we get to explore his softer side for a bit, maybe setting up a permanent home? It would have a lot of meaning for an immortal nomad.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.
    • Savasati freely shares his story with any who ask, but he leaves out many details about the war and the things he did to win it. Particularly, there is an event in the early days of his creation when his powers were still raw and unknown to him. He caused the deaths of a number of allies, forged and born alike, when he brought down an enemy airship atop them. After learning of nightmares, Savasati is thankful that he does not sleep.
    • Kirbac (described below) has built his own creation forge with the help of a coerced master artificer. He means to restart the Last War and return purpose to his people. Without the specialized knowledge of their original creator, Kirbac must obtain a piece of crystal from each of the psiforged in order to create more of his own kind.

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.
    • Esek, a fellow psiforged and the closest thing to a friend that Savasati has ever known. They served together in the Last War and helped each other to understand and control their powers. When the war ended, Esek was taken far away to act as a show of their leader's power and skill. Savasati never saw him again, though he looked for him many times.
    • Isaret, the artificer who designed, trained, and equipped the psiforged. She was the first born face any of them saw, and was their main healer and teacher throughout the war. When it ended, Isaret was swept away to work on other projects, but she kept in contact with Savasati for the first few years.
    • Kirbac, another psiforged, and one of the few forged men with a very strong personality from creation. Kirbac almost immediately took a disliking to the born and seemed to take pleasure dismantling them. He was injured when Savasati downed the airship, and has never forgiven the him for his "betrayal."

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has.
    • Savasati, like all forged men, does not sleep. Never in his very long life has he lost consciousness, so he has an unbroken string of memories leading all the way back to his very first day. In the beginning there was nothing. Then, everything, all at once. Just as his eyes were given sight, they were blinded by the tapestry of the world before him. Just as his ears were given hearing, they were deafened by the choir of sounds all around him. As his nerves fired for the first time there was indescribable agony, but also a joy too pure for words. It was horrible. It was wonderful. It was life.
    • More to come!
    • Ditto.

Quick mechanical description:
    Warforged JuggernautECS, War MindPsiHb, Psiforged BodyMoE, and KnockbackRoS are all must-haves, and probably at least a few DungeoncrasherDun levels. The idea is to go the classic Domino RushCWar route with a twist of Sweeping Strike for the whole Sauron in the Fellowship flashback effect. That's definitely the cheesiest thing I have planned, but I might work in a meteor hammerDr319 for that old fashioned wrecking ball feel. I may try to add in Divine CrusaderCDiv into Landforged WalkerSoX if I feel like I have room, but neither is required.

There's a Text Color button at the top of your text window when you make a post. It should have a dropdown menu with a few colors. (I'm also using Chrome, for whatever it's worth.)

The code is [color=######]whatever text you want here[/color]. You can replace the hashes with color names, like red or gray, to get the desired color. If you're a control freak with a mediocre understanding of hex colors, you can also "hack" a custom color like I did earlier in the post.
    Destiny:
    - The Revelation -
    Everything will change once more
    "Give it to the world"

All in or out works for me if it works for everyone. Also, I'm impressed with how well the Destinies are fitting the characters, at least in my head.
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2016-12-10 at 02:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Is anyone opposed to me building a new table with some more information?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Destiny:
    - The Revelation -
    Everything will change once more
    "Give it to the world"
    Neat. I actually really like my destiny-tease as well.

All in or out works for me if it works for everyone.
    I'm down for that. If given the choice, I think I would prefer to not know, but I'm not going to ruin anyone else's experience to get it.

I don't see any possible harm.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

All in or out works for me if it works for everyone. Also, I'm impressed with how well the Destinies are fitting the characters, at least in my head.
    Wait, really? I was convinced that you were faintly tweaking the fluff to make them line up better.
    Heh-heh, last time I got sick my throat got quite sore and a few told me to stop talking to them as much as I could because I sounded like him.

Oh, you are familiar with fear builds? Why then once I stop being lazy and compile the existing fear-mechanics into a brew, I'll look forward to asking you if I missed anything important/useful. I've only done one before and that was a level 3 or so aristocrat (so beautiful and proper that it's downright intimidating.)
    If you didn't I eventually would, so go for it. I almost always include character name, player name, speech color, link to character, and some background (oft in the form of race and class, though in this game concept might work better...)
    Last edited by drack; 2016-12-10 at 02:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, really? I was convinced that you were faintly tweaking the fluff to make them line up better.

Heh-heh, last time I got sick my throat got quite sore and a few told me to stop talking to them as much as I could because I sounded like him.

Oh, you are familiar with fear builds? Why then once I stop being lazy and compile the existing fear-mechanics into a brew, I'll look forward to asking you if I missed anything important/useful. I've only done one before and that was a level 3 or so aristocrat (so beautiful and proper that it's downright intimidating.)
    Not even a little bit of tweaking
    I'm as surprised as anyone, and very pleased.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

It's uncanny how fitting that is.
    Tell me about it, I mean I got this:

Destiny:
    - Gloom -
    There is darkness
    "... as I swore I would"
    And just look at my character, and tell me that doesn't reflect him?

Also, if you want bold grey, go ahead and take it. I can grab something else, like brown. It's basically meant to reflect my character's empty state and will change throughout the RP.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'll keep filling this in as we get sheets and more information. As I always do, I'm demanding everyone choose a theme song for their character. Haha.

Table of Players
    Username Character Race Sheet Destiny Theme Song
    Ambervael Sincerity Race Sheet Authority Theme Song
    Drack Xalk Race Sheet The Memory Theme Song
    LoyalPaladin Palladian Lightwreath Race Sheet Gleam Theme Song
    Lyndworm Savasati Race Sheet The Revelation Theme Song
    Peccavi Cassius Race Sheet TBD Theme Song
    Scheming Wizard Gabriella Velodyne Race Sheet TBD Theme Song
    Valerem The Nameless Warrior Race Sheet Gloom Theme Song

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

I'm afraid Nameless isn't going to have a theme song for the longest time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Also, if you want bold grey, go ahead and take it. I can grab something else, like brown. It's basically meant to reflect my character's empty state and will change throughout the RP.
    No, I have purple, that was for you.

Theme song: ha-ha, well I'm not sure, but lets go with this.
    Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpnI52cLEc
    Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EzU9sLQ6I

Edit:
    Not even a little bit of tweaking
    I'm as surprised as anyone, and very pleased.
    All hail the RNG and the Random Number God for the great blessings they've bestowed upon us.
    Last edited by drack; 2016-12-10 at 03:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

No, I have purple, that was for you.
    You DO know I was talking to Paladin, right?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

If you mean that you were here...
    ...then I can only call you ungrateful.

If you mean that you were here...
    ...then I haven't a clue why you'd have assumed that to be clear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

...then I haven't a clue why you'd have assumed that to be clear.
    Because the entire post was directed at Paladin?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I couldn't quite decipher it either until I looked at Paladin's sig, and then it all became clear.

EDIT: anyway, it's a whole lot of doesn't matter.
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2016-12-10 at 03:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

EDIT: anyway, it's a whole lot of doesn't matter.
    Seconded...

Anyways, I'll gladly take gray if you're not going to use it permanently.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Because the entire post was directed at Paladin?
    But the line directly above that one seemed to be directed to d20 and had a quote of him just above it in turn, only above that was there a quote and response to paladin.

Fake edit:
    Ah, his sig, that makes more sense now.

...and yeah, doesn't matter much, but it'd still have been off putting to have not noticed that it was in reference to the sig in the end.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Destiny:
    - Authority -
    Dominion will be given unto you
    "Aver it"
    Interesting.

I... highly doubt we mean the same thing by worse reaction then.

Thanks! Feels nice to have someone say that, since I wasn't particularly sold on the quality of my background. I do like the concept, but I feel like I could have pitched and sold it better.

I'm quite looking forward to interacting with Savasati. He seems like a fun character, and I anticipate good interactions between him and Sincerity.
    Plus I mean, warforged. How can you go wrong with warforged?

I see I'm not the only one who likes to dabble with hex code for speech colors.

For the benefit of anyone who might not know, the basics of hex code are really simple. Essentially, every hex code is six numbers. Black, for example, is 000000. These six numbers are composed of three two digit numbers. So black is actually 00 00 00. The first set of numbers is how much red is in the color. The second set is how much green is in the color. The third set is how much blue is in the color. Higher numbers in the set mean more of that color, and the brighter it is.
    The fun part is that hex code is not done in base 10. So... the highest number you can use is not 99. To represent higher numbers, we use letters. In short, the highest number you can get is FF.

As a demonstration:
    0000ff
    00ff00
    ff0000

Mix as desired. Some of the ones I've used before:
    dd2288

As I always do, I'm demanding everyone choose a theme song for their character. Haha.
    This is going to take me days to decide on. I hope you're happy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

*Huffs*

It was super easy to understand. I quoted Loyal. Saying that I agree with the fact that the destiny's are so chillingly similar to the character's themselves. Using my own as an example. Then I mention that he can take Bold Gray if he wants as I noticed that is the colour he chose for Lawful Good.

Seriously. What makes it so hard to miss?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we end this conversation? It was a simple misunderstanding, and no harm was meant by anyone. As soon as we get the destinies up for the last two members of our group, we can start on worldbuilding.

LATE EDIT: didn't mean to come off harshly, if I did. I just don't want the thread derailing.
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2016-12-10 at 04:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: The Garden OOC

I'm so happy I got in! I think my character should know everything about herself and a lot about her own world, but she shouldn't know that much about this world since it's new to her. We can knowledge check to learn stuff about the world or by talking to NPCs. As far as separating player and character knowledge I can totally do that if you want.

(2d12)[8][11](19)
    "Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends."