Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Creative curses and hexes

So there's a topic up now called "creative curses", and i was disappointed to find that it was about fantasy-themed swearing and not about unique ways to mess with your players.

So anyway, let's put together a list of creative curses and hexes to dole out to players for their mistakes. I'll start us off with a couple:

- I fondly remember the incurable hiccups curse from planescape: torment. Didn't mechanically affect much, but was annoying as hell
    - I've cursed a player so that they couldn't see certain amounts of treasure. If he was the one doing the looting, he'd end up leaving half the loot and having no idea. Eventually someone else noticed and they got him fixed up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Creative curses and hexes

I heard of a great curse that can cause people to inexplicably forget what they walked into a room to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-What about a hex that makes a player magnetic? That's be fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Upon von Spielburg and all his clan,
    This the curse I now demand.
    What I will shall come full measure,
    So shall ye lose all that ye treasure.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5

If you're really into this sort of thing, I'd highly recommend playing a D&D game in the Ravenloft setting, where anyone can lay curses given enough effort, and those who do bad things can have curses fall upon them.

For instance, I have a player currently playing an evoker wizard, prone to fireballing, chaotic neutral, the whole nine yards. In Ravenloft, doing evil actions provokes powers checks that both grant you boons and horrific curses. He made a pact with a quasit to become his familiar, which is a powers check with 100% chance of failure, immediately granting a boon and a curse. Because of what he did, his quasit familiar taught him about forbidden lore in magic, granting him a +2 to intelligence (the skill points going into Use Magic Device), but the curse that affected him was one I found appropriate due to his penchant for fire magic, his gums constantly exude ash.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

6. - Top - End - #6

a curse causing the body to produce pheromones of a different species.

Imagine cursing a pompous noble lady to small like a bitch in heat, attracting dogs from all over the neighbourhood.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    -What about a hex that makes a player magnetic? That's be fun.
    Hopefully they realize whats going on before attempting to use throwing knives.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-A hex that switches a character's highest and lowest stat!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Hex that switches healing and damage spells.
    Ex. Eldritch bolt heals the target for 1d10 health

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Hex that makes you unable to speak a word containing the letter e

11. - Top - End - #11

People around the cursed randomly hear snippets of his internal monologue

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Name magic:

- no-one is able to remember the character's name, not even they themself. All attempts to refer to the person are limited to "that person".
    - the character is unable to speak the name of a villain/rival/etc. without that person instantly knowing where they are, who they are speaking with etc., forcing the use of euphenisms.
    - anyone who knows the character's name can magically compel them to do certain things, like prevent them from entering a building, or lying to them etc.
    - the character is given a new name, and acquires traits of what they're named after. F.ex. someone named Tiny Black Ant becomes insignificant and non-descriptive as an ant.

Symbolic magic:

- a voodoo doll and variations: an object is made in the image of the person, and what happens to the object is reflected by their body.
    - or, the other way around: say a white canvas is symbolic of the purity of their soul, and gets increasingly stained as they lie or commit other wicked acts. Bonus points if they're forced to wear the canvas as their clothes.

Sensory distortions:

- the character is forced to hear their own thoughts as if spoken to them by an external, invisible voice.
    - the character is forced to see friendly people as frightening or ugly, while wicked people look more beautiful the worse they are.
    - all water smells and tastes like blood of the people the character has slain.
    - for each moment that no-one speaks good of the character, the air feels colder and colder.
    - every time the character stops, they hear one extra step just behind themselves
    - where ever a character goes, they cannot rid themselves of the sound of dripping water.
    - the character loses ability to perceive faces.

Mental:

- the character's dreams become plagued by an invincible demon who they have to combat each night.
    - the character becomes unable to dream of anything beyond rolling in bed, unable to get sleep.
    - the character's grasp of ontological inertia starts slipping: they no longer can believe things continue to exist while they can't be observed, such as when they're in the dark. Every night feels like the world is destroyed, only to be recreated at dawn.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

13. - Top - End - #13

Name magic:

- no-one is able to remember the character's name, not even they themself. All attempts to refer to the person are limited to "that person".
    - the character is unable to speak the name of a villain/rival/etc. without that person instantly knowing where they are, who they are speaking with etc., forcing the use of euphenisms.
    - anyone who knows the character's name can magically compel them to do certain things, like prevent them from entering a building, or lying to them etc.
    - the character is given a new name, and acquires traits of what they're named after. F.ex. someone named Tiny Black Ant becomes insignificant and non-descriptive as an ant.
    Reminds me of Legend of the Five Rings, where truenaming magic could really boop you over: If a nezumi shaman stole your true name, you would be physically unharmed, but the reality itself would edit itself around you as if you never existed, not just making everybody forget you, but to the point of making your wife and children someone else's.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ill fortune: slightly weight a set of dice, all weighted gently in favor of the lowest value(1). the cursed player(or NPC) must now use these dice for all rolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Remember kids: a good thief can steal everything that isn't nailed down, on fire, part of the building, or trying to kill them. Skilled adventurers have been known to leave behind far less that that.
    LGBTitP
    Universal Decay by Deamoneye Publishing
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7.5th edition by Lawful Nice

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

My witch cursed a devil-bound dire wolf so that whenever it tried to bite a living thing, it's saliva would turn into a vomit inducing poison and it would have to roll a fort save to not vomit and lose the attack

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

The PCs in my game have experienced a handful of curses; one received the death-curse of a frog-spirit, basically warning other frog-spirits who see him that he's killed one of their kind. He's still under this one.

Another had his name placed on the list of Enemies to Sharkkind by the goddess of war and sharks; sharks that perceive him try their damnedest to kill him. He resolved this by getting another potent magic placed on him that rendered him imperceptible to sharks.

Then there's a curse on their very atman from having waged war on the very authors of the Universe in a previous lifetime; the curse is essentially making them a little more prone to extreme behaviors when they get overly stressed.

There are a few more, but I've got other things I've gotta be doing.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Curse that lets you breathe in water but not in air. Vice versa on water-breathers.