Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    You find yourselves in the dwarven trading town of Davarn in the Five Kings Mountains. The town hosts its Spring Festival every year to celebrate the spring thaw that opens the mountain passes into Druma and Andoran. Most of you have arrived with the first outside trade caravans. Tremor has spent the last couple years living here while Nythen has spent the past 6 months in Davarn studiyng the herbs of the area and learning more about the dwarven culture while snow in the passes rendered travel impossible. Roy has arrived in Davarn for the spring festival itself.

    Davarnís Spring Festival is especially known for its tournament, the Spring Muddle, which attracts competitors from neighboring human and dwarven communities. The competitors vie for a prize of gold and magic items, which the town guards and the temple of Torag jointly fund to attract new recruits. When the winterís cold releases the Five Kings Mountains and the spring rains wash away the snows that blanket the area, the residents of Davarn celebrate the return of songbirds and trade caravans with their annual Spring Festival. The event occurs a full week after the spring equinox to celebrate Davarnís official reopening along trade routes to Druma, Isger, and Andoran. While some caravans arrive earlier, the town sends out engineering teams before the event to clear and repair any road damage caused during the winter months. Colorful banners decorate the public square surrounding the city reservoir, and the surface doors are thrown wide to flush out the stagnant winter air and replace it with mountain breezes and the smell of freshly baked pies and roasted meats. Traveling performers set up their stages to entertain the young and old alike with puppet shows, music, and death-defying stunts. Davarnís residents build temporary stalls to display their finest handicrafts, worked metals, and raw materials mined deeper in the cave systems beyond the town.

    A couple of days have past since the beginning of the tournament and the number of contestants is beginning to thin out as many are disqualified by losing various contests of strength and agility. Competitions for the day have ended and as usually the tap houses are open and the drinks are flowing as rivalries are momentarily forgotten by the act of celebrating. Roy is at one of the tap houses watching the comradery of the contestants when he is approached by a dwarf with long dirty brown hair and a short goatee. He wears fine clothes not suited for a laborer but he has a infectious smile based on the reactions of those he pauses momentarily to converse with before continuing his path to Roy. He walks up to you, his right hand already out for a handshake, his left ready to clasp around your arm. "Greetings my good man. How does our tournament find you on this beautiful spring day?"
    Last edited by ybn1197; 2016-12-19 at 02:57 PM.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    He accepts the handshake. Looking the dwarf in the eye he saysIt finds me well. I enjoy watching tournaments like these. My name is Roy. Nice to meet you.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Deran, human paladin

    " And so the daughter squeeeeeeeeealed! Crunch"

    The apple flies away from the hand of Deran as he finished his rendition of a song he heard on the festival. It lands on his other hands and he takes a good bite out of it, obviously enjoying his time.

    Apples. Songs. Dancing. What was not to like?

    But as he crunches in a very unknightly way, a gentleman of the stockier persuasion appears. Deram gulps quickly, thankful that his right hand is immaculate and not holding an apple.

    "Greetings, my good man. The festival finds me just fine. I learn new tunes every day. And you? May I be of some service?"

    Deran answers with a smile of his own, but he is curious. It is strange that this dwarf singled him out

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception (1d20+9)[26] , Sense Motive (1d20+10)[18] and Diplomacy (1d20+11)[19] if needed

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Nythen

    Nythen is sitting alone at his small table eating his stew listening to conversations around him. There is movement around his neck as the elongated furry creature shifts then skitters down his arm for him to feed it some meat from his stew.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Spoiler: Roy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by oono View Post
    He accepts the handshake. Looking the dwarf in the eye he saysIt finds me well. I enjoy watching tournaments like these. My name is Roy. Nice to meet you.
    "Roy... A pleasure. My name is Lukher Stinnison, I'm sure you've heard of me;" ((OCC: You haven't)) I field a team in the tournament every year. This year however hasn't been a good year for us and I am missing some players due to... ah... injuries. I've noticed you've taken an interest in them and I was wondering if you would be up for taking part? I would cover all costs to get you registered and you would get a fair share of any winnings... based on the length of your involvement. You interested?"


    Spoiler: Deran
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Deran, human paladin

    "And so the daughter squeeeeeeeeealed! Crunch"

    The apple flies away from the hand of Deran as he finished his rendition of a song he heard on the festival. It lands on his other hands and he takes a good bite out of it, obviously enjoying his time.

    Apples. Songs. Dancing. What was not to like?

    But as he crunches in a very unknightly way, a gentleman of the stockier persuasion appears. Deram gulps quickly, thankful that his right hand is immaculate and not holding an apple.

    "Greetings, my good man. The festival finds me just fine. I learn new tunes every day. And you? May I be of some service?"

    Deran answers with a smile of his own, but he is curious. It is strange that this dwarf singled him out.
    ((OCC: We'll play this as happening after Roy's conversation. ))

    "I certainly hope that you can; and in doing so I hope to be of service to you," he says in a very congenial manner. "My name is Lukher Stinnison and I back one of the local teams in the tournament. Unfortunately we have suffered a few injuries in the events and I need to replenish some of the team. I was wondering if you may be of some interest in this, competing in the local sports. I am fully willing to finance all fees necessary to get you in and you will receive your share of any winnings we may receive. Interested?"

    Spoiler: Die results
    Show
    He appears to be on the level, if a little overbearing with his charm. You do think there is something else to his story about injuries though.



    Spoiler: Nythen
    Show
    Sitting alone eating his stew, Nythen happens to notice the dwarf conversing with the dwarf. You've never seen the human around here but you do know the dwarf. That is Lukher Stinnison, a peddler of minor magical items. You've never had any dealings with him though others have told you to be wary of him. Though no one has had any blatant problems with his goods, a couple of deals have apparently gone sour and the amount of charm he tries to apply to his dealings just seems to be a little over the top at times.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Nythen

    Curious about the veracity of the rumors about Lukher Stinnison, he focuses on listening into their conversation.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Perception (1d20+12)[16] included 2 for familiar.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Roy shifts uncomfortably and takes a drink. You want me to participate in the tournament? Physical altercations aren't my best thing. I usually have at least my eidolon at my side. Could I bring him? Barring that are you willing to pay for a resurrection spell in case I, you know, die? I don't know about you but I'm kind of attached to this life. If the answer to one of those questions is yes then I'll do it. Roy finishes his drink and orders another.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Lukher chuckles and gives you a "pshaw" look. "Never in the history of the tournament has someone lost their life. Yes there are some enthusiastic competitors out there and they sometimes can't control their competitive edge but no one has been permanently hurt. Why, any use of lethal force immediately disqualifies a competitor. Real weapons may not be carried or used during the race." He pauses and looks about then continues in an almost conspiratorial tone. "Though I've seen wooden practice versions of weapons being used." He then continues in his normal voice, "As for your eidolon, or any sort of magic, it's considered acceptable, so long as that magic aids or enhances the competitorsí abilities, as opposed to circumventing the challenges. You could transform yourself into a monkey to better handle some of the obstacles, lets say, but you can't use travel magic to cut to the end. Do you get what I mean?"
    Last edited by ybn1197; 2016-12-20 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Fixed dialog coloring
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Deran

    Deran listens to the dwarf, apple in hand. It would be rude to munch as they were speaking. There was something slightly off-key here.

    "I am always up for a challenge Matser Stillinson. However, I am not sure what kind of challenge you mean. I don't mind a few bruises, but I am a bit overtrained, and I have a very specialized set of skills. What would you have me do?"

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Well then looks like we have a deal. Roy finishes his drink and orders another one

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Deran

    Deran listens to the dwarf, apple in hand. It would be rude to munch as they were speaking. There was something slightly off-key here.

    "I am always up for a challenge Matser Stillinson. However, I am not sure what kind of challenge you mean. I don't mind a few bruises, but I am a bit overtrained, and I have a very specialized set of skills. What would you have me do?"
    Lukher smiles from ear to ear. Oh my good sir, that will not be a problem at all. Most of the contests are based on strength, skill, and determination. I'm sure you will fit in quite nicely."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Tremor notices this man approaching him and before the man notices little mobile statues fighting in front of tremor he ceases his concentration not wanting the extra attention. Tremor says what do you want tremor listens. After his speech tremor responds What makes you think I can fight? Im just a lowly mason displaced from his homeland.

    Ooc: this is all true tremor is guinuenly curious why this man approached him and obviously he is just a mason and of course he is not in his homeland. I don't believe this warrants a bluff and I bet he knows differently anyways.
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2016-12-20 at 05:00 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Deran

    This time, Deran dos munch on the apple, a bit sceptical.

    "Strength is not a problem. Will and determination also not. So far, I see no reason too. However, I would like to know more of the actual details. Am I to wrestle? Arm-wrestle? Mud-wrestle? The last for example could be a no-go. My Bosses would not approve and they can be strict on these things.

    Be specific, Master Lukher, if you please, both on the challenges and the rewards."


    Deran finishes the apple and takes a sip of his ale.

    "Would you also like one?"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Nythen

    Nythen listens to the discussion with growing interest. He had not spent a lot of time on the competitions in the festival.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    Tremor notices this man approaching him and before the man notices little mobile statues fighting in front of tremor he ceases his concentration not wanting the extra attention. Tremor says what do you want tremor listens. After his speech tremor responds What makes you think I can fight? Im just a lowly mason displaced from his homeland.
    Lukher seems taken aback at your question. "The tournament is not about fighting. It is about friendly competition. Its about celebrating the coming spring. It is about no one being 'lowly.'"
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    then why the injuries if not for fighting? What possible other contribution could I have to the tournament? I've much repairs to do since the thaw coups this provide me with more wage then I could earn plying my trade? I don't lack of endurance or dexterity but you may find me lacking in other areas tremor goes to stacking the pebbles on the table again using his minor geomancy to have them balance correctly at angles you wouldn't expect

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by oono View Post
    Well then looks like we have a deal. Roy finishes his drink and orders another one
    "Excellent. Barkeep, put that one on my tab. Be on the festival grounds bright and early on the morrow," he tells you beaming and shaking your hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    Nythen

    Nythen listens to the discussion with growing interest. He had not spent a lot of time on the competitions in the festival.
    Nythen sees the dwarf shaking the man's hand all smiles as he tells the barkeep that he will pay for the human's drink. Once he completes his business, his eyes again scan the crowd, looking for something you do not know. Soon, his eyes connect with yours and he makes his way through the crowd to your table. "My name is Lukher Stinnison, I'm sure you've heard of me;" ((OCC: You haven't)) I field a team in the tournament every year. This year however hasn't been a good year for us and I am missing some players due to... ah... injuries. You look like a lively and hardy enough individual who may be interested in a round of sport."

    Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    then why the injuries if not for fighting? What possible other contribution could I have to the tournament? I've much repairs to do since the thaw coups this provide me with more wage then I could earn plying my trade? I don't lack of endurance or dexterity but you may find me lacking in other areas tremor goes to stacking the pebbles on the table again using his minor geomancy to have them balance correctly at angles you wouldn't expect
    Lukher appears very flustered at your questions. "Injuries are more possibility and can happen in any sport. As for wages, I can assure you should we win you will earn more than enough wages for one day of competition that you would be participating in. I'm sure the good people can excuse you for that long given that this is part of the festival."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Nythen

    Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Nythen sees the dwarf shaking the man's hand all smiles as he tells the barkeep that he will pay for the human's drink. Once he completes his business, his eyes again scan the crowd, looking for something you do not know. Soon, his eyes connect with yours and he makes his way through the crowd to your table. "My name is Lukher Stinnison, I'm sure you've heard of me;" ((OCC: You haven't)) I field a team in the tournament every year. This year however hasn't been a good year for us and I am missing some players due to... ah... injuries. You look like a lively and hardy enough individual who may be interested in a round of sport."
    Nythen looks genuinely surprised. "I have some skill with a bow, but am largely an academic and magic user. I am unsure I could contribute much."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Tremor ceases concentration on geomancy and pushes over his little pebble tower and smiles as he begins again. He says as he stacks again well I suppose your right after all the road won't go anywhere. Ill join in the fun. My talents were not appreciated in the clan I used to live in maybe they will be enjoyed here. Any more details you can give me?

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Tess
    Tess is finishing his evening meal when he feels a set of eyes gazing upon him. Looking up he sees a dwarf with dirty blonde hair and a goatee smiling at him. "My good friend allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luhker Stinnison and I have a perfect opportunity for you. How would you like to participate in the final competition of the festivals?"

    Malachai
    Tired and hungry from his journey, Malachai arrives in Davarn hoping to catch sight of some of the town's famed festival however concerned that he might have missed most being that the journey took longer than he had hoped. He enters one of the taverns intent on getting something to wash the dust from his throat and something for his growling belly. As he makes his way to the bar, his way is blocked by a dwarf with dirty blonde hair and goatee. Looking upon him, there is no malicious intent in his stopping you, in fact there is a smile upon his face, mirrored in his eyes. "My good friend allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luhker Stinnison and I have a perfect opportunity for you. How would you like to participate in the final competition of the festivals?"


    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    Nythen looks genuinely surprised. "I have some skill with a bow, but am largely an academic and magic user. I am unsure I could contribute much."
    Luhker smiles like he is teaching a wayward student. "But you are an elf which makes you lithe, am I right? And certain magic is completely legal in the competition. I'd say that makes you a good match for the game."


    Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    Tremor ceases concentration on geomancy and pushes over his little pebble tower and smiles as he begins again. He says as he stacks again well I suppose your right after all the road won't go anywhere. Ill join in the fun. My talents were not appreciated in the clan I used to live in maybe they will be enjoyed here. Any more details you can give me?
    Luhker sits down at the table across from Tremor "The final competition is known as Spinebreaker Mountain, an obstacle course run simultaneously by two teams. It begins at the waterline for the ďmountainĒ itself in the city reservoir, and spirals upward until competitors reach the peak. Participants line up on the southwestern landing, and six obstacles block the way, each with its own red flag. Teams score points by getting as many members as possible to the peak and by capturing flags. Each flag is worth 10 points, and each team member to reach the peak is worth 10 points. The first person over the finish line earns 10 bonus points for her team. The competition ends when all the members of one team reach the peak or are disqualified.

    "You do not need to complete every obstacle, but only competitors tackling an obstacle are allowed to reach that obstacleís flag. Anyone falling into the water may climb out and rejoin the race anywhere they are able, though only the southwest and southeast outcroppings are level with the water. Any use of lethal force immediately disqualifies a competitor. Real weapons may not be carried or used during the race, though wooden practice versions of weapons that deal nonlethal damage are permitted as are any weapons that deal nonlethal damage. Knocking an opponent unconscious is legal, but itís considered poor sportsmanship, and unconscious team members do not need to reach the peak to end the competition. The use of magic is acceptable, so long as that magic aids or enhances competitorsí abilities, rather than circumvents the challenges. Any form of teleportation or flight immediately disqualifies a competitor. Competitors may steal flags from the opposing team. Participants must stay on the mountain or within 15 feet of it if they fall into the reservoir below."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Tess
    Tess is finishing his evening meal when he feels a set of eyes gazing upon him. Looking up he sees a dwarf with dirty blonde hair and a goatee smiling at him. "My good friend allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luhker Stinnison and I have a perfect opportunity for you. How would you like to participate in the final competition of the festivals?"
    Tess looks up, immediately distrusting of anyone who would approach him with an unsolicited opportunity. Scowling, Tess says, "Hello Luhker, how is it that you know this is a perfect opportunity for me? Are you just offering this to anyone who happens to look you in the eye? I just got into town, and can't imagine my skills are widely known around here. Though I have been watching the festival and do enjoy seeing it, I am not sure how I would do as a competitor."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not trusting him, Tess is going to be wary of lies. Sense Motive Check:(1d20+6)[26]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Tess looks up, immediately distrusting of anyone who would approach him with an unsolicited opportunity. Scowling, Tess says, "Hello Luhker, how is it that you know this is a perfect opportunity for me? Are you just offering this to anyone who happens to look you in the eye? I just got into town, and can't imagine my skills are widely known around here. Though I have been watching the festival and do enjoy seeing it, I am not sure how I would do as a competitor."
    Luhker quickly goes from smiling to off-put. He takes a quick moment to recompose himself before continuing. "My apologies good sir. I know most of the citizens here by at least sight and you are an unfamiliar character. Given your arrival so soon after the opening of the roads, I took it you were here for the festival and my fancy an opportunity to enjoy it first hand. I myself have a team I sponsor which unfortunately is short participants. You are obviously of elven descent which makes you lithe in nature, one of the few skills needed in the competitions. I apologize if I have intruded or insulted you. If you have no wish to participate on my team, I will take leave of you."

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Nothing he has said or done leads you to believe he is lying in any way. Everything he has said is truthful though a small stutter at the mention of his own team members piques your curiosity.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Luhker quickly goes from smiling to off-put. He takes a quick moment to recompose himself before continuing. "My apologies good sir. I know most of the citizens here by at least sight and you are an unfamiliar character. Given your arrival so soon after the opening of the roads, I took it you were here for the festival and my fancy an opportunity to enjoy it first hand. I myself have a team I sponsor which unfortunately is short participants. You are obviously of elven descent which makes you lithe in nature, one of the few skills needed in the competitions. I apologize if I have intruded or insulted you. If you have no wish to participate on my team, I will take leave of you."

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Nothing he has said or done leads you to believe he is lying in any way. Everything he has said is truthful though a small stutter at the mention of his own team members piques your curiosity.
    Tess smiles to himself briefly before catching it and putting on a more blank expression "You are correct, I am of Elvish decent, but I am not as lithe as my cousins. I take more after my human father in that regard. But I have been interested in the festival. I would think there is no shortage of people to participate in the festival, what happened to make your team short this year?" Tess observes the dwarf as he puts him on the spot. This gives Tess a moment to reflect as well about his personal interest in participating. He would enjoy proving his mettle, but he had seen a bit of the competition and it looked pretty stiff.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Not looking up more pebbles seem to appear. Tremor is smiling still. Just continues stacking and knocking overThis sounds exciting. Tell me what sorts of equipment can I bring? Can I survey the area? How long for preparation? Can I know the competition to gauge against? Is this a trial of time? Quickest team to finish? Must finish in a certain timeframe? I take it most of the area is of stone, I can work with that. he places the pebbles one on top of another in his hand using geokinisis and moves his hand to show how stable his creation is tilts his hands and has the pebbles scatter in a very small area.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Nythen

    Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Luhker smiles like he is teaching a wayward student. "But you are an elf which makes you lithe, am I right? And certain magic is completely legal in the competition. I'd say that makes you a good match for the game."
    Nythen smiles and bows. This might be a good opportunity to learn about this festival. "Then I would be honored."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Leaning against a post outside a taphouse, Malachi bends over to clean something off his boot. This has certainly been... interesting. I never thought to see dwarves at such revel. Deciding a flagon of ale won't impair him, Malachi steps inside and sits at the bar. An ale if you please, friend dwarf!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Leaning against a post outside a taphouse, Malachi bends over to clean something off his boot. This has certainly been... interesting. I never thought to see dwarves at such revel. Deciding a flagon of ale won't impair him, Malachi steps inside and sits at the bar. An ale if you please, friend dwarf!
    The bartender nods at Malachai and turns, grabbing a tankard and filling it from a cask behind the bar. He slides his flagon at you and you stop it in front of you. As you bring the vessel to your mouth a dwarf with dirty blonde hair and goatee standing next to you clears his throat. Looking upon him, there is no malicious intent in his stopping you, in fact there is a smile upon his face, mirrored in his eyes. "My good friend allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luhker Stinnison and I have a perfect opportunity for you. How would you like to participate in the final competition of the festivals?"
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    Not looking up more pebbles seem to appear. Tremor is smiling still. Just continues stacking and knocking overThis sounds exciting. Tell me what sorts of equipment can I bring? Can I survey the area? How long for preparation? Can I know the competition to gauge against? Is this a trial of time? Quickest team to finish? Must finish in a certain timeframe? I take it most of the area is of stone, I can work with that. he places the pebbles one on top of another in his hand using geokinisis and moves his hand to show how stable his creation is tilts his hands and has the pebbles scatter in a very small area.
    "Well," Luhker says leaning into the table, "you may bring whatever you can carry, as long as it is not a real weapon. But I would keep it simple, the race is one where time is of the essence and there are many tests of balance along the route."



    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    NythenNythen smiles and bows. This might be a good opportunity to learn about this festival. "Then I would be honored."
    "Very good. I will see you on the morrow bright and early."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bawlmer, Md.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Tess smiles to himself briefly before catching it and putting on a more blank expression "You are correct, I am of Elvish decent, but I am not as lithe as my cousins. I take more after my human father in that regard. But I have been interested in the festival. I would think there is no shortage of people to participate in the festival, what happened to make your team short this year?" Tess observes the dwarf as he puts him on the spot. This gives Tess a moment to reflect as well about his personal interest in participating. He would enjoy proving his mettle, but he had seen a bit of the competition and it looked pretty stiff.
    Luhker starts to frown before catching himself and putting on a similar blank expression. "Tough competitors they all be. All five made it though the competitions without being disqualified, but the lumps and bruises they took to get here have made completing the race too difficult. I need replacements and another sponsor challenged me to field a team of visitors. What say you?"

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    He is lying about his team.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

    Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:30 pm EST till Mondays around 7:30 am EST.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

    Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Luhker starts to frown before catching himself and putting on a similar blank expression. "Tough competitors they all be. All five made it though the competitions without being disqualified, but the lumps and bruises they took to get here have made completing the race too difficult. I need replacements and another sponsor challenged me to field a team of visitors. What say you?"

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    He is lying about his team.
    "Hmm, you say your team made it through, but I don't remember your team. Like I said, I have enjoyed watching the festival to pass time. I might be willing to scratch your back, but you gotta be honest with me. I tell you what, if we can strike a bargain on what I get out of competing, with bonuses for winning, then I'll join your team, with no more questions asked. How does that suit you?" Tess knows he is putting the dwarf in a tough position, but is confident in his abilities, and knows the man is lying to him about his team.

    Spoiler: skill checks
    Show
    Diplomacy to get Luhker to agree to Tess's terms (1d20+12)[25] Sense motive to make sure he sounds honest in his negotiations (1d20+6)[24]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •