New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Down the Blighted Path (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    The bartender nods at Malachai and turns, grabbing a tankard and filling it from a cask behind the bar. He slides his flagon at you and you stop it in front of you. As you bring the vessel to your mouth a dwarf with dirty blonde hair and goatee standing next to you clears his throat. Looking upon him, there is no malicious intent in his stopping you, in fact there is a smile upon his face, mirrored in his eyes. "My good friend allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luhker Stinnison and I have a perfect opportunity for you. How would you like to participate in the final competition of the festivals?"
    Is it usual for strange dwarves to challenge visitors to trial by competition upon first meeting, Luhker Stinnison? Well met, I am Malachi Black. Raising his mug slightly to the dwarf, Malachi takes a long pull off the ale, sits the flagon down, and wipes his mouth on the back of his hand. What challenge would I be facing, friend dwarf?
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Nythen

"Yes, what challenges will be face? Without knowing I would not know what spells to prepare."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Is it usual for strange dwarves to challenge visitors to trial by competition upon first meeting, Luhker Stinnison? Well met, I am Malachi Black. Raising his mug slightly to the dwarf, Malachi takes a long pull off the ale, sits the flagon down, and wipes his mouth on the back of his hand. What challenge would I be facing, friend dwarf?
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    Nythen

"Yes, what challenges will be face? Without knowing I would not know what spells to prepare."
    "The final competition is known as Spinebreaker Mountain, an obstacle course run simultaneously by two teams. It begins at the waterline for the “mountain” itself in the city reservoir, and spirals upward until competitors reach the peak. Participants line up on the southwestern landing, and six obstacles block the way, each with its own red flag. Teams score points by getting as many members as possible to the peak and by capturing flags. Each flag is worth 10 points, and each team member to reach the peak is worth 10 points. The first person over the finish line earns 10 bonus points for her team. The competition ends when all the members of one team reach the peak or are disqualified.

"You do not need to complete every obstacle, but only competitors tackling an obstacle are allowed to reach that obstacle’s flag. Anyone falling into the water may climb out and rejoin the race anywhere they are able, though only the southwest and southeast outcroppings are level with the water. Any use of lethal force immediately disqualifies a competitor. Real weapons may not be carried or used during the race, though wooden practice versions of weapons that deal nonlethal damage are permitted as are any weapons that deal nonlethal damage. Knocking an opponent unconscious is legal, but it’s considered poor sportsmanship, and unconscious team members do not need to reach the peak to end the competition. The use of magic is acceptable, so long as that magic aids or enhances competitors’ abilities, rather than circumvents the challenges. Any form of teleportation or flight immediately disqualifies a competitor. Competitors may steal flags from the opposing team. Participants must stay on the mountain or within 15 feet of it if they fall into the reservoir below."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    "Hmm, you say your team made it through, but I don't remember your team. Like I said, I have enjoyed watching the festival to pass time. I might be willing to scratch your back, but you gotta be honest with me. I tell you what, if we can strike a bargain on what I get out of competing, with bonuses for winning, then I'll join your team, with no more questions asked. How does that suit you?" Tess knows he is putting the dwarf in a tough position, but is confident in his abilities, and knows the man is lying to him about his team.
    "The prizes change every year depending on what the merchants offer up but there is always a coin prize along with it. Should my team win, the coins will be split evenly among the participants. The items should go to those who can benefit most."

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    "The prizes change every year depending on what the merchants offer up but there is always a coin prize along with it. Should my team win, the coins will be split evenly among the participants. The items should go to those who can benefit most."
    I am not trying to be unreasonable, of course if I can't benefit from something, I won't take it just in spite. And equal work deserves equal pay; but I want you to shake on this and state it in front of witnesses. I trust you, I just don't want to have my trust betrayed. Tess says this last bit with a laugh in his voice. Tess watches the dwarf intently to see how he reacts to having to swear to his promises in front of witnesses.

Spoiler: dice
    Show
    Diplomacy check to get the dwarf to agree to Tess's request: (1d20+12)[23]

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    I am not trying to be unreasonable, of course if I can't benefit from something, I won't take it just in spite. And equal work deserves equal pay; but I want you to shake on this and state it in front of witnesses. I trust you, I just don't want to have my trust betrayed. Tess says this last bit with a laugh in his voice. Tess watches the dwarf intently to see how he reacts to having to swear to his promises in front of witnesses.
    Luhker smiles at you as he stands up. "Good patrons, witness as I make a deal with Master Tess. I offer him an equal share of the festival's winnings in exchange for his taking place as a competitor in tomorrow's race." He extends his hand to you.

7. - Top - End - #37

Tess is a little surprised as the dwarf stands up and makes his announcement in front of everyone in the tavern, but manages to keep his face blank. As the dwarf extends his hand to Tess, Tess replies "And I promise to compete in the race tomorrow to the best of my abilities for Master Luhker." Tess takes Luhker's hand and shakes on their agreement. Satisfied that he should be able to get something out of this deal, he asks "Thank you for being so understanding. I have been dealt with poorly in the past, making me weary of agreeing to things without some guarantee. Can you tell me any more about this competition tomorrow?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You don't have to copy his reply yet again, I've read it for everyone else (and see that it is roughly the same description). Feel free to just confirm that he gives it and move on to describing whatever comes next. I have a mechanics question: As Tess has Lure of Heaven mystery and is always floating up to 6 inches off of any surface, will that count against him as flying for this competition? Since it is up to 6 inches, I assume it can be 0 inches, but I am envisioning it as taking more effort to keep himself down than to just let 'heaven' pull on him (I know this is mental effort and doesn't have any mechanical effect on the spell or any other aspect of this game, just flavor).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

While you did not make that vow to me, I will also take you at your word. I need some recreation, and this might be just the thing. I hope you are good for it, Master Dwarf. Malachi finishes his ale, stands and extends his hand to the dwarf. Shake to seal it?
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Nythen

Nythen nods. "I am in. Maybe we should discuss strategies so I have some ideas what spells to prepare for tomorrow."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps we should sit at this table and learn what we are going to be doing? Malachi guestures to an empty table, turns and begins walking toward it.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Nythen

Nythen moves to the same table and sits, his mongoose relaxed, wrapped around his neck.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Perhaps we should sit at this table and learn what we are going to be doing? Malachi guestures to an empty table, turns and begins walking toward it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    Nythen

Nythen moves to the same table and sits, his mongoose relaxed, wrapped around his neck.
    Luhker follows the two of you and sits down, quite jovial in his demeanor. He then tells you everything he can about the competition. ((OCC: As revealed above.))

13. - Top - End - #43

The festival grounds begin to thin out as most attendees line up along the rope barrier surrounding the city reservoir. An angry-looking spur of granite pokes up from the water, carved into a spiraling obstacle course marked with poles, logs, and ropes.

The crowd bursts into cheers as the other semifinalist team and defending champions, the Davarn Chokers, approach the starting line. Their dwarven leader, Erna Stoneheart, waves to the crowd as they shout her name. Her teammates follow suit, waving and smiling as the chant of “Chokers! Chokers!” rises above the general cheering.

The course is outfitted with climbing nets and towers, balance beams, swinging ropes over the river, and red flags. A large bat familiar hangs lazily from a perch near the starting line, clutching an additional red silk flag.

================================================== ====================

Spinebreaker Mountain is an obstacle course run simultaneously by the two semifinalist teams. It begins at the waterline for the “mountain” itself in the city reservoir, and spirals upward until competitors reach the peak. Participants line up on the southwestern landing, and six obstacles block the way, each with its own red flag. Teams score points by getting as many members as possible to the peak and by capturing flags.

Each flag is worth 10 points, and each team member to reach the peak is worth 10 points. The first person over the finish line earns 10 bonus points for her team. The competition ends when all the members of one team reach the peak or are disqualified. The contest officially ends when all non-disqualified members of one team reach the peak.

You can circumvent or bypass any obstacle but only competitors tackling an obstacle are allowed to reach that obstacle’s flag.
    Anyone falling into the water may climb out and rejoin the race anywhere they are able, though only the southwest and southeast outcroppings are level with the water.
    Any use of lethal force immediately disqualifies a competitor. Real weapons may not be carried or used during the race, though wooden practice versions of weapons that deal nonlethal damage are permitted (and are available for purchase at half the normal weapon price at several stalls in the town’s market), as are any weapons that deal nonlethal damage. Knocking an opponent unconscious is legal, but it’s considered poor sportsmanship, and unconscious team members do not need to reach the peak to end the competition.

The use of magic is acceptable, so long as that magic aids or enhances competitors’ abilities, rather than circumvents the challenges. A competitor may transform herself into a monkey to better handle some of the obstacles, for example, but could not simply teleport to the peak. Any form of teleportation or flight immediately disqualifies a competitor.

Competitors may steal flags from the opposing team using disarm and steal combat maneuvers, or simply claim them from unconscious competitors as a move action.

Participants must stay on the mountain or within 15 feet of it if they fall into the reservoir below.

14. - Top - End - #44

Tess looks over his teammates. He is an average height half-elf, though he towers over the dwarfs of the city. His white hair and green eyes are strange combination and make him easy to pick out in a crowd. His build is pretty athletic with some noticeable muscle tone, though not bulky. Although he appears young, it is mostly because of his elvish heritage, as he actually has half a century under his belt. He uses this experience to help him navigate through life among the other races. He is strong and hardy, but not very lithe. He is also strangely handsome, with a trustworthy face that few people seem to find fault with. Tess has a backpack on that doesn't look very full and that seems pretty light by the way he handles it. Tess has a smooth wooden club wrapped in cloth around the thick part and leather around the handle hanging from his belt. It is obviously bought to be a nonlethal alternative to be used during the competition.

Taking this opportunity, he also checks out the competition. The other team seems popular but not unbeatable. Tess hopes that their team will be good enough.

Tess says to the others "I think we have a chance here, but we'll have to work together. What is everone's specialty, so we can ensure that we get the flag at each obstacle. I am a cleric of sorts, but I have been training my entire life to stay strong and fit. I am better at talking people into things, but with my magic I can distract the other team or maybe boost someone or a bit." Tess then looks around at the others expecting a response.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I am not sure if we are still waiting and this is just a description or if we are supposed to start running the course, so I just treated it like we were lining up at the starting line.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

A slightly taller and thinner dwarf steps forward. Eyes the color of sapphires. Cropped beard and mustache. Bald. Skin a dull dusty copper. He says ""where are your manners elfling? This talk of how you can weave words and spells and I've not been swayed in the least. My name is Tremor Earthshaker. And what be your name?"" tremor holds out his hand for a shake. ""this is a proper dwarven greeting and introduction. Anyways I honestly have no clue as to why I'm here guess my curiosity got the better of me. I'm not but a stone Smith so maybe that will come in handy""
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-01-27 at 04:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Tess is slightly abashed at being upbraided by a dwarf on manners, but offers "I am called Tess. I am here to win this competition, for the rewards at the end. There seems to be a nice purse. If master Luhker thought you could be useful, then I am sure you have useful skills. We shall see in the running of the course, I guess."

Spoiler: zylodrizzt
    Show
    Just to let you know that grey is hard to distinguish from the black of regular text. You might want to offset your speech in double quotes so it is a little more obvious.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Well met to you both. I am called Malachi. A tall, steps toward you. He is wearing rather plain clothes with a pack on his back and a wooden longsword in his big hand. May the Dawnflower grant us favor in this contest today.

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Nythen

"Hello. I am Nythen, I am a conjurer. I am a magic user and a scholar. Physically I am not exceptional other than my agility." He carries no weapons or anything else of much.

19. - Top - End - #49

As you are exchanging introductions with one another and the other team is enjoying the attention of the crowd, an older dwarf approaches the two groups. Once he stands before you, he clears his throat gaining the attention of all. "Ye'll know what ye need to do and ye'll know the rules. Lets get this here competition going! Get in yer boats and on your way wit ya." You now see before you two skiffs each with a dwarf pilot. Clambering on board the skiff, you are ferried out to the spire in the reservoir. Once on the western landing, you hear the old dwarf begin again. "On ye marks... GO!"

With that, the race to capture all the flags begins. There is a 40 foot gap between landings. The first flag is just barely visible 20 feet below the surface midway through the crossing.

20. - Top - End - #50

Tess listens as the dwarf addresses them, then follows the others down to the skiffs. He is leery of being on the boat, but manages to not fall over while he is getting aboard or off. Once at the spire, Tess looks around quickly to assess what needs to be done. The old dwarf appears again and suddenly announces that the race is begun. Tess tries to figure out what to do and sees the flag for the first obstacle in the water in front of him. He takes off for the water and tries to make a swim for it. He is glad he only wore his shorts and light shirt today, else he might be weighed down in the water. He swims as hard as he can to get to the middle first. He then dives down to retrieve the flag, coming back up to finish swimming to the far side.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    The three swim checks are to: 1) swim out there (1d20+2)[10], 2) dive down to retrieve the flag (1d20+2)[5], and 3) to finish swimming to the far side (1d20+2)[19]. If you need more swim checks (because he fails one and needs to keep from drowning, use these here:
    (1d20+2)[21]
    (1d20+2)[21]
    (1d20+2)[4]

Hopefully that is enough. Let me know if you need more.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Nythen

Nythen listens carefully and as soon as he hears "Go!" casts a spell.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Initiative if needed (1d20+3)[21]
    Casts Mad Monkeys across the opposing group.

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler: Tess Initiative
    Show
    This is the initiative roll for Tess:(1d20+6)[12]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Initiative (1d20+3)[19]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Pulling his trainer longsword, Malachi runs to the water's edge. With his long legs he will easily outpace the dwarves. He sets up in a defensive stance at the waterline. They will have to go through me to get to that flag. "I'll hold them here, boyos, and join you in a minute!"
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2017-02-02 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Changing my action at DM's request.

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal's Initiative

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20)[9]

Show

26. - Top - End - #56

(OOC: I was unclear. The boats are NOT part of the competition. They delivered everyone to the left landing on the map and then withdrew so they were would not interfere. Crossing from the left landing to the right is under the contestants own power.)
    Last edited by ybn1197; 2017-01-31 at 08:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

""well I think ill be on me way to the top"" with that he goes to the first cliff face and begins climbing. He then throws very small rock at one of the competitors just trying to deal nonlethal damage. Attack roll (1d20+3)[12] damage (3d6+7)[13] as he moves he seems to get dirtier and grittier.

That should be a 13 hopefully that's better unless u rule I can deal nonlethal damage without penalty in which case its 17
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2017-02-01 at 03:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

(OCC: Waiting to see what Kvard51's new action is since I clarified the situation.)

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler: Davarn Chokers' Initiative
    Show
    Erna Stoneheart (F, DW): (1d20+2)[12]
    Gerherd Roderson (M, DW): (1d20)[12]
    Mavin Marbeket (F, GN): (1d20+1)[8]
    Targrenon Raedad (M, HN): (1d20+2)[14]

30. - Top - End - #60

Initiative Order
    21. Nythen Makeara
    19. Tremor Earthshaker
    14. Targrenon Raedad
    12. Tess Almstedt
    12. Erna Stoneheart
    12. Gerherd Roderson
    09. Malachi Black
    08. Mavin Marbeket