Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    You all approach the table and have a seat, unsure of the old mans intentions but curious about the reward he is offering. As you get closer you see that he looks aged beyond anything you would have expected for someone who walked into the tavern. His skin while somewhat pale is very fragile looking, he takes a moment before he speaks.

    "Oh, tha's a bit odd looking group aren't ya?" He looks at each of you in turn, unsure of who to focus on before finally focusing on Morortok, though if it is due to his immense size or at random... who could say.

    "So there's a book of mine, and it was taken by a servant of Macroo, the tribal leader of a nearby kobold clan. This book has some important stories in it and they think it is a holy book... of course thats just rubbish!" he adds quickly as he sees some of you take increased interest.

    "Macroo and his group have been trying to get the book from me for quite some time but I was able to keep them away, but looks as though Macroo wizened up and got a local to turn against me, my old friend Jangor who used to help me with small odds and ends took it and I assume collected a handsome payment from that lizard bastard." He ends with a sidways glance at Sebi as though her small size connect her in someway to the kobolds.

    He drops the bag he had been shaking earlier and it lands with a solid weight to it and you hear the delightful sound of coins bouncing off one another.

    " I have 1800 gold for you to paid with the return of my book. I figure they only have one book there, kobolds are'n known to be real book reading types. But you can't miss it, it has a large 8 pointed interconnected star on the back, and it is bound in dragonhide. Fetch me this book, and the reward will be yours." Faster than you would have expected he swipes the bag back into the folds of his old cloak and waits for your response.

    Spoiler: Info
    Show

    Here is a picture of what the book looks like.

    Any OOC chat should be in spoilers either at the appropriate part of your post or at the end as convenient and please roll in spoilers as well.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Morortok scratched his chin thoughtfully. He had already decided to accept the offer, but in his experience those who seemed too eager usually got ripped off. So you just want this here book of yours? Nothing else? If you don't mind me asking, what's actually in it? The Half-Orc kept his face level, gesturing somewhat dismissively. As if he didn't really care.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Manjo holds up his hand, signaling for a barmaid to bring him an ale. I trust this book is not bound in the hide of a good dragon? So it's just guarded by some kobolds? Should be pretty simple. Walk in put the kobolds in their place and take the book. As long as its not guarded by something big and nasty.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Nelsi tilts her head back as the ale goes down her throat. It had been a peaceful couple of months in Hoarwood. Or at least... it would have peaceful, had she been almost anyone else. The duchess was kind in taking her in, but she hadn't been assigned an actual job since she got here, and she's starting to feel like another jewel in the duchess's crown, so to speak. An interesting oddity that the duchess could delight in having at her beck and call, but not actually important enough to be trusted with anything, and thus sitting around doing nothing. Queen Elvanna would have had her working on something important by now, not wandering aimlessly around the land hounding illegal loggers just to feel even a little useful.

    She's still not sure why the queen suddenly decided to send her away. Was she not good enough anymore? But no, that had never mattered to the queen - she had taken her in when she was a little girl who couldn't do anything. Did she upset the queen somehow? Again, that didn't seem right either. The day before her dismissal, she had just returned from a successful job. The queen had clearly still trusted her then; she even let Nelsi go into her quarters to retrieve her things.

    So then why?

    Nelsi's thoughts are interrupted when she, like many others, looks up as the man declares his request. Well, I can be of use to someone, at least. Besides, Duchess Anelisha told me to report anything suspicious to her guard. Perhaps this will lead to something? The duchess's order had felt tossed at her as an afterthought more than as a genuine request, but Nelsi was surely going to put forth her best effort in following it. Rising from her table, she remembers to take her glass with her just before she steps towards the man.

    She takes notice of the man's old age immediately. It must be hard to get much done in that state. Glancing around at the others who had gathered around the man's table, she concurs with the his remark. No surprise there. Irrisen is home to many creatures, after all. And a pile of gold will entice many who would otherwise be unwilling to help. Hopefully, we'll be able to work together.

    The request is also nothing too out of the ordinary, though if the kobolds are getting so brazen as to openly interfere with people, it is surely time for a message to be sent.

    Nelsi nods slightly at the Half-Orc's question, admitting to herself that she's curious too, but not intending to press him. People aren't usually so keen to give up their secrets, in any case. She adds to the questions, however, inquiring, "And do you know where this kobold clan is?"
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2016-12-18 at 05:42 AM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Alastair

    For now Alastair listens to the other talk and focuses on the man offering them the job. He looked for the subtle clues of lying or of holding things back.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[13]

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    "Why would it matter whose hide the book was bound in?" asked the 'child'. While her cap could make her look like one, Sebi wasn't nearly good enough as an actress to sound like one. It's one of the reasons she usually kept quiet during her travels. "What would you do if it was a Good Dragon's hide - let the Kobolds keep it?" The half-orc's question - about it's contents - was, she thought, far more relevant. 1800GP for a book was somewhat excessive - most writings that expensive had arcane spells in them...

    ...Though that might be a touch of wishful thinking on her part.

    Still, if everyone accepted, she could look forwards to 300 GP for making up the numbers while the others fought. That'd get her most of the way to the border, surely...

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fearan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Cori looked with amusement at the man. The jovb looked quite simple to him, kobolds weren't the most hardy foes, and the employer gathered quite a fearsome group. - "So" - he asked impatiently. - "Where are these kobolds?"
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

    Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    "Whats in the book is of no concern. I'm not asking you to read it... In fact, don't read it. Its of my concern, I need you's to fetch it. Tha's all.

    You say the book is'n bound in "good" dragonskin, but whos to say what "good" really is. Is all a matter of perspective I say!

    The Macroo clan stays about 3 hours north-west of here, deeper in the forest. I don know what kind of beasties they have guarding their place though I will say Macroo is a devious little bastard!
    "

    He again waves off the serving girl who comes by to offer more drink and sausage to the table, and stares intently at each of you in turn.

    "Is easy offer. Go find Macroo, take my book back, don't read it. Bring it back. Get paid. Are you's in or no?"

    Spoiler: Alastair
    Show

    You sense that the man is telling the truth of where he believes his book to be, and that he is indeed offering that amount of gold for its safe return.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2016-12-18 at 01:40 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Morortok arched an eyebrow, but kept the rest of his face nonreactive. Fine. I'll get ya book. Anyone else who wants to help can come. Just don't get yer self killed.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    I am in. When do we leave?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Alastair

    Alastair was unconvinced the book belonged to the man, but if the others were going then so would he. "Then I am in as well." Alastair looks deeply at the man. "Where did you say you acquired this book?"
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

    Sense motive to try and get a feel if the man owned the book. (1d20+7)[19]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Nelsi waits as the others finish getting their questions hopefully answered. While she'd like to know more, she's not sure the man will answer them that easily. It might be easier to try to find that out ourselves. Though the kobolds will likely be just as tight-lipped, if not more.

    "Well, I'm ready to leave whenever you all are."
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Manjo strokes his beard and finishes his drink. Maybe we should introduce ourselves since we are going to be working together. I am Manjo Fawaz.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Nelsi glances downward nonchalantly at the dwarf. Right, people who aren't working directly for the crown usually expect pleasantries. "I am called Nelsi."
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fearan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Cori - the shadow-dweller nodded to the group. - Looking forward to working with you - he added in his hushed voice.
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

    Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Morortok stood suddenly, turning dramatically towards the door. Morortok. C'mon. No need to wait, get up and hustle if you don't wanna be left behind. he growled. He hadn't worked with anyone in a few years and he was determined to not lead them to disaster. Mainly, by being emotionally distant.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Quietly: "What with all your long, long legs, I had a suspicion 'hustling' would be coming up in my immediate future..."

    Morortok's haste to get out the door had robbed her of her chance to either assent or or introduce herself to the group, but she was happy enough with that situation. She'd rather handle her introduction later, once they were outside the town and she would be free to cancel the illusion and show the others she wasn't actually a small child... small, yes, child, no.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Nelsi nods at the half-orc - Morortok's - conclusion and heads after him. The names aren't really a concern for her; she has worked with numerous creatures before, and they're not always so keen on making nice with introductions. Relieved to have something to do again, even if that something was just chasing down kobolds, she breathes a small sigh of relief. "Right, we had best get a move on. I know the forests quite well, so I should be able to lead us northwest."

    Spoiler: Crunch just in case?
    Show
    Nelsi has been around Hoarwood for the past couple of months, wandering around trying to find things to keep her occupied. So I hope she would know where she's going after all of that, but just in case:

    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+7)[10]
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Alastair

    "I am Sir Alastair Dawn." Alastair rises chuckling. "I doubt you could leave me and Rook behind."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    At Alastair's question of where the book came from, "I did'n say where I got the book. Its my book, not made for anyone elses eyes. If you're to take this job you have to agree not to read it either." The old man says with an air of finality.

    You all leave the Red Pine and take a moment to look around at the town that was carved into the trunk of this massive tree, one of the few respites from the biting cold whirling about outside, as is the norm for Irrsen.

    Spoiler: Alastair
    Show

    You sense he is being truthful when he says it is his book, but you aren't sure if he wrote it or may have simply owned it a long time, OR he just truly considers it his regardless if someone else might disagree with him on that point.


    Spoiler: Nelsi
    Show

    You think about the local area and where a group of kobolds might hunker down out in the cold wilderness of the Hoarwood, and there are a few places that spring to mind but only one Northwest. It is about a mile off the trail, where there is a small depression against an old tree that has fallen down, it is a well known spot to break away from the cold winds blowing from the north if you stay on the south side of the fallen wood.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    The once-over of the town that Nelsi takes is quite short, her full attention being given to the task at hand. While the huge tree trunk protecting the city keeps out the worst of the winter winds, it does not eliminate the pervading chill. For some reason, Nelsi has never had the (very useful) tolerance for the cold that her family has, and a slight shiver goes through her as they step out of the Red Pine into the frosty air. Just more proof that I could never be one of the Jadwiga, not truly. Or so Princess Cassisoche would say, she thinks glumly.

    "So, I do remember a place in the forest similar to the one the man described. We'll have to venture a ways off the trail eventually, though. Shall we?" she asks, already starting off in the direction of the fallen tree.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Alastair

    Alastair heads out, readies Rook and easily catches up with the others. He seems quite comfortable riding along into the woods. The big horses hoofs kicking up snow that rises and mixes with his feathers.

    "So, I do remember a place in the forest similar to the one the man described. We'll have to venture a ways off the trail eventually, though. Shall we?"
    "Sounds good to me."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Glad I took time to meditate this morning. I hope we get to smash a lot of kobold heads today.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Morortok nodded curtly, deferring to the woman who seem to know the area. Please, Ms. Nelsi. Lead the way. Morortok positioned himself just behind the woman, taking position at the fore of their little group.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Fearan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Cori packed silently. Well, "packed" was a strong word - his backpack was here, nice and ready - he didn't need much.
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

    Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    For Sebi, sadly, 'catching up' isn't as easy as it is for Alastair. Still, she doesn't lose sight of the group - mainly because she's moving at a jog to keep up with the others at a walk.

    Once they're outside town, she's got a few things to do. First: "Wait up, everyone!" With (hopefully) their attention drawn to her, Sebi fiddles with her cap and the illusion of a human child disappears. "So, couple of bits I didn't like to mention in town: First... well, ratfolk, as you can see. Second, while it's kinda obvious what a lot of you bring to the party, what does the rat bring you, other than a much shorter stride? Well, I'm a wizard. Not a terribly powerful one, not yet anyway, but I am a wizard, and what magic I do have is at your disposal. And, finally..." She walks over to Alastair, pokes his leg, and makes the closest you can get to puppy-dog-eyes when you're a giant anthropomorphic rat. Which, truthfully, probably puts her a lot closer to having a dog-like face than a human would... "...I don't suppose I could join you on the horse, could I? We're never going to get anywhere if the rest of you have to keep waiting up for me..."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Alastair

    Alastair looks down at Sebi and grins. He reaches down, takes her arm and pulls her up. "His name is Rook and I doubt he would notice much."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    I need to invest in a horse. And a cart. My ultimate goal is to become more like the Dragons that raised me. So the god I worship will recognize me as a follower

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Nelsi's eyebrow goes up as the illusion fades, leaving behind the small form of the ratfolk, though she doesn't say a word So she's of that sort. Why the deception to begin with, though? I'll have to watch that one closely. Always have to be careful dealing with creatures, after all - Nelsi can think of more than a few times where they had tried to pull the wool over her eyes.

    Just as well that the ratfolk will be traveling with the man on his horse. At least I don't have to watch my pockets quite so closely, hopefully.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragondoom IC Thread - Group 1

    Morortok's distant facade cracked as the illusion fell. After a moment, he realized he was gaping and quickly closed his mouth. Uh, better you tell us now, than later then. He mentally cursed himself for not even suspecting a child, a human child, as an odd member of their little band.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •