New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, definitely a T-Rex riding on an airplane so far.
    Now it's sawing off the branch it's sitting on.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looks like the details got revealed ahead of time.

ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Looks like the details got revealed ahead of time.

Well today xkcd also has an advert for a What if 2 book, released 13.9.2022.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks like there's a new What If? on the horizon.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really enjoyed the first book, and it looks like this will have a good bit of content that hasn't been published online, so I went ahead and preordered. Looking forward to it!
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #906

Flumph

Just found out about this. Glad more What if is coming, but we couldn't have gotten a sampler? Really miss when the blog was updated semi-regularly.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I like this one, there are far too many plug/PSU combos that want to stop you using to socket next to them.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I like this one, there are far too many plug/PSU combos that want to stop you using to socket next to them.
    Typically having one on a powerstrip isn't too bad. However, I agree that it is too hard to use some. I like that lots of things in the US use the 3 prong male to 3 (slightly different) prong female cords like computers. I was really annoyed at work when a monitor used DC power and we couldn't find the supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a real-life Cursed Connector. If you don't understand why it's cursed, when you have something plugged into the socket, and one of the plugs in a wall outlet, but the other one dangling, the bare metal of the dangling plug is live at 120V AC.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Here's a real-life Cursed Connector. If you don't understand why it's cursed, when you have something plugged into the socket, and one of the plugs in a wall outlet, but the other one dangling, the bare metal of the dangling plug is live at 120V AC.
    Thats only cursed in the same way that a surge protector is cursed if you chew open the rubber casing and start eating the wires while its plugged in. Its intended that both plugs be in sockets for its normal function.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Normal function isn't just when it's sitting plugged in. The process of plugging and unplugging is a part also part of normal function. This thing becomes unsafe for a period during plugging or unplugging, unless a specific order is followed. And people aren't going to do that.

Also, it won't work if you plug it into an outlet protected by GFI or GFCI. Current electrical code in the US requires that on all outdoor outlets. And this thing is marketed for use with RVs, which you would typically expect to plug into an outdoor outlet. That means you're limited to old outlets, or you have to run extension chords out a window.

I'm actually of the opinion that our electrical outlets here in the US aren't well designed, because there's a point between full plugged in and fully unplugged where it's possible to touch bare metal carrying 120V. This thing takes that issue and turns it up to 11.

I'm also of the opinion that GFCI should be required on all breakers. Based on how the code keeps getting updated to require it more places, I think my wish will come true one of these days.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

https://xkcd.com/2596/

There are way too many galaxies.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Bugbear in the Playground

New april-special xkcd 'Instructions'
    Spoiler: about turtles and coding in LOGO
    Show
    as a very long audio-recording.
    The instructions also paint a nice picture

See also explainxkcd and github .
    Last edited by hajo; 2022-04-05 at 07:49 AM. Reason: +github-link
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

14. - Top - End - #914

Normally I either get or don't the joke on my own. This is one of the few times where once I saw what was going on I just gave up and looked for an explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Today's strip makes me wonder if anyone's set up a webpage where you can create weird, non-standard maps by rotating the world relative to the projection. It'd be pretty easy to do, with the possible exception of an interrupted Goode homolosine projection. Though if they can get that working, I'd like to try creating one with the interruptions going through the continents to better preserve the shapes of the oceans.
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2022-05-02 at 02:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Today's strip makes me wonder if anyone's set up a webpage where you can create weird, non-standard maps by rotating the world relative to the projection. It'd be pretty easy to do, with the possible exception of an interrupted Goode homolosine projection. Though if they can get that working, I'd like to try creating one with the interruptions going through the continents to better preserve the shapes of the oceans.
    Now I kind of want to see and animation made from various map projections, where the center of perspective is rotated over time. Could be equally trippy as a lava lamp.

edit: I found this little website. Does not have all that many projections available and only the sane ones, but it is still quite fun to play around with.
    Last edited by Radar; 2022-05-02 at 06:21 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #917

You did see the click-through to the comic, right? It only does Mercator, and I'm guessing you can't "rotate" by dragging the mouse, but it's a start.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

I hadn't noticed the comic was clickable. That's pretty cool, and you can simulate rotation with a combination of vertical and horizontal shifts.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Today's strip makes me wonder
    Today's? that was up on Saturday at the latest.

I do agree it's fun.

20. - Top - End - #920

Flumph

Only found out because I clicked on the wrong bookmark, but he's posted the first What If? in almost exactly four years.

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by dire_flumph View Post
    only found out because i clicked on the wrong bookmark, but he's posted the first what if? in almost exactly four years.
    SLIPPERY WHEN DRY

Edit: aww, my original all-caps post got auto converted to lower case by the forum.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-05-10 at 06:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    SLIPPERY WHEN DRY

Edit: aww, my original all-caps post got auto converted to lower case by the forum.
    OUTRAGEOUS!abcde
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #923

I'm a few updates late, but I want to go to whatever university has enough topologists to get us our own department.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

https://xkcd.com/2636/

Aren't some of these just wrong?

July 8th's for example?

pi ^ e would be something between pi ^ 2 and pi ^ 3, which isn't a huge number.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

https://xkcd.com/2636/

Aren't some of these just wrong?

July 8th's for example?

pi ^ e would be something between pi ^ 2 and pi ^ 3, which isn't a huge number.
    July 8 is 2^(pi^e), which is about 5.8 million. 2^(pi^e) seconds is 66 days and 17 hours, per Wolfram Alpha, which is on the money.
    ithilanor on Steam.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    July 8 is 2^(pi^e), which is about 5.8 million. 2^(pi^e) seconds is 66 days and 17 hours, per Wolfram Alpha, which is on the money.
    How does that work?

pi is not a big number, and nor is e.

2 is also not a big number.

2 ^ 2 is 4, 2 ^ 4 is 16, 2 ^ 16 is 65,536 (after some faffing), 2 ^ 24 = 16,777,216, 2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296. Okay, that looks as if it might work, but I stlll think he's taking the michael.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

How does that work?

2 ^ 2 is 4, 2 ^ 4 is 16, 2 ^ 16 is 65,536 (after some faffing), 2 ^ 24 = 16,777,216, 2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296. Okay, that looks as if it might work, but I stlll think he's taking the michael.
    pi^e is a little more than 22. You can check the numbers yourself. Google will happily calculate 2^(pi^e) if you type literally that into the search bar, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

28. - Top - End - #928

AssassinGuy

How does that work?

Exponents are fun and produce big numbers from small numbers quicker than intuition tells you (the wheat on a chessboard problem is a classic example). Pi^e is about 22.45. 2^22.45 is about 5.8 million. The math checks out.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

How does that work?

Numbers can surprise you like that. This case here (stacked exponentiation) has even a specific notation and further extension. Some other cases are far less obvious and a bit tricky to see, why the numbers suddenly get larger than we can reasonably write down. For example Ackermann's function does not look so bad, but in actuality it reproduces the up-arrow notation linked earlier in this post. Of course there are plenty of procedures to get even more crazy numbers.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

Arguably, much of the universe is made of chemicals, so chemists should have a pretty big slice of that pie chart.