New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

The "rate of traffic deaths per 100000 people" doesn't really account for how many out of that 100000 drive at all, how often they drive, how many miles they drive, what sort of conditions they drive in, etc.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The "rate of traffic deaths per 100000 people" doesn't really account for how many out of that 100000 drive at all, how often they drive, how many miles they drive, what sort of conditions they drive in, etc.
    Wikipedia to save the day! Sorting by fatalities per billion km driven, the UK has 3.6, germany has 4.9, and the US has 7.1. Only 20-ish countries have values for that statistic, and I don't know the state of their driving tests, so I cannot comment on general trends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Wikipedia to save the day! Sorting by fatalities per billion km driven, the UK has 3.6, germany has 4.9, and the US has 7.1. Only 20-ish countries have values for that statistic, and I don't know the state of their driving tests, so I cannot comment on general trends.
    Which makes me think of something else... two somethings, actually.

1) What are the fatality rates per hour driven?

2) What are the fatality rates per mile flown and per hour flown for airline travel?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Which makes me think of something else... two somethings, actually.

1) What are the fatality rates per hour driven?

2) What are the fatality rates per mile flown and per hour flown for airline travel?
    I regard this as an increasingly fatuous exercise, considering how many times information has been met with some hitherto-unconsidered complicating factor or alternative measurement. Also, there's no way the gaps in average speed are large enough that (1) is going to differ massively from fatalities per passenger mile. That said, the answer to (2) is "utterly negligible compared to driving".

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Japan has one of the strictest driving tests in the world, AFAIK, but it scores 8 on that scale. So, as we could probably have figured out a page or two ago, the difficulty of the driving test on its own isn't sufficient to tell you how safe a country's roads are going to be--there are many other factors which affect that.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, Japan has a lot of old drivers. Also, they need to get those isekai protagonists from somewhere...
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like we should drop the debate but on the other hand...
    Clearly somebody who has driven for ten years is pretty independent of their actual driving test, the more relevant question is how young / new drivers perform. Sadly I can't find lots of data on that (also, of course there are many factors that also influence the matter. Still, the idea that someone with hardly any training can be as good as someone with thorough training seems unlikely to me, singular cases excluded)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I regard this as an increasingly fatuous exercise, considering how many times information has been met with some hitherto-unconsidered complicating factor or alternative measurement. Also, there's no way the gaps in average speed are large enough that (1) is going to differ massively from fatalities per passenger mile. That said, the answer to (2) is "utterly negligible compared to driving".
    The point of #1 was to try to see if there was anything interesting to be found regarding driving risks depending on the urbanization of an area being looked at.

The point of #2 was to see where things shake out when taking into account the hours spent driving per year, vs the hours spent flying. Hours driving per year for the average American is something like 295; hour flying for same is proving harder to find, but evidently the average is something less than 2 flights per year, which often gets rounded up to 2 because the journalists presenting the information don't like decimals and don't understand averaging less than a flight and a return.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-09-04 at 09:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I've read the "Museum of Dad-Trolling" comic more times than I can count, and I just now realized you can click on the exhibit blocks to make more panels of the comic appear.

https://xkcd.com/826/
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel the need to point out that Andrew and Lyndon Johnson shared a whole last name, and weren't any more closely related than any two random people of European descent.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    I feel the need to point out that Andrew and Lyndon Johnson shared a whole last name, and weren't any more closely related than any two random people of European descent.
    According to a brief internet search, they were 13th cousins twice removed, which is impressive partly because they live a whole century apart. Oddly, despite both having done extensive genealogy, my parents haven't yet figured out how they are related to each other. I think my father doesn't have any royalty yet, so the easy way to be related is out.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

According to a brief internet search, they were 13th cousins twice removed, which is impressive partly because they live a whole century apart. Oddly, despite both having done extensive genealogy, my parents haven't yet figured out how they are related to each other. I think my father doesn't have any royalty yet, so the easy way to be related is out.
    When I was on holiday as a kid, I met another kid who was uncle to a third kid, they were similar ages, I'm not sure but it's possible the nephew was the elder of the two.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-09-15 at 01:12 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    When I was on holiday as a kid, I met another kid who was uncle to a third kid, they were similar ages, I'm not sure but it's possible the nephew was the elder of the two.
    I have a cousin who is younger than his oldest nephew. My mom has a 5th cousin twice removed who is the same age as her. Maybe I should have stated that my surprise was that they were only 2 generations apart. I guess the later one's cotemporaneous ancestor could have been 2 generations up and then 100 years is about 4 generations (really it is between 2 and 6 depending on when people reproduce).
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    And they were both bad presidents, too. Clearly, no more presidents from that line.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-09-16 at 10:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405

BlackDragon

We are all something like 4000 or so generations related :-).
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    We are all something like 4000 or so generations related :-).
    Yeah... it's strange how people draw arbitrary lines between what is incest and what isn't Long term, you can't mate with any living being because we're all related.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah... it's strange how people draw arbitrary lines between what is incest and what isn't Long term, you can't mate with any living being because we're all related.
    It's not about that so much as inbreeding being bad for the local genepool, if there's a lot, in the long term that's very bad. With a large population as we have now, it's not usually much of a problem, but in small isolated communities it matters a lot more, there first and second cousin marriages may have to be banned.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #408

BlackDragon

Hmm, then the only real solution is to import all our spouses.

Immigration: Good for the gene pool.

... Naah, that will never sell in a nation that doesn't believe in evolution, and thinks ... guuuurrrk [scrubbed by author to avoid getting a second strike. Please excuse the gurgles as his throat chokes to prevent his continued discussion in this manner. Now, I shall put him down, as I have learned I get twice the effort for half the choke, on my path back to the light side.]
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

It's not about that so much as inbreeding being bad for the local genepool, if there's a lot, in the long term that's very bad. With a large population as we have now, it's not usually much of a problem, but in small isolated communities it matters a lot more, there first and second cousin marriages may have to be banned.
    Sorry, I forgot to make my Tongue-in-cheek-Ness more obvious. I think I'm pretty clear on the biological reasons behind avoiding incest.

Also, thank you Mr Munroe for another weird thing to worry about after today... But since I usually don't ex a bottle of liquid I think it's more little gulps.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a cousin who is younger than his oldest nephew. My mom has a 5th cousin twice removed who is the same age as her. Maybe I should have stated that my surprise was that they were only 2 generations apart. I guess the later one's cotemporaneous ancestor could have been 2 generations up and then 100 years is about 4 generations (really it is between 2 and 6 depending on when people reproduce).
    A girl I dated in highschool was the youngest in her family. Her oldest sister had a baby before the girl I dated was born, so she was an aunt who was younger than her niece.

Did anyone watch the You've Got Mail remake with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks? Tom Hank's character has an aunt and a (half) brother who are both about 4 years old, while he's in, I'd guess, mid-to-late thirties.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Did anyone watch the You've Got Mail remake with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks? Tom Hank's character has an aunt and a (half) brother who are both about 4 years old, while he's in, I'd guess, mid-to-late thirties.
    You've got Mail is a remake of a bunch of different films. Rather it is the latest in a long line of remakes. I think the original is something like The Shop on the Corner, but I can't be sure. One of the other remakes was In the Good Old Summertime.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I want to ask if this is actually a thing people do but it's the internet, so of course they do. But are there enough of them to warrant a comic? I know a lot of my faults Mr Munroe has pointed out over the years (oh you infamous 386) but this is something I cannot even see myself do..
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I want to ask if this is actually a thing people do but it's the internet, so of course they do. But are there enough of them to warrant a comic? I know a lot of my faults Mr Munroe has pointed out over the years (oh you infamous 386) but this is something I cannot even see myself do..
    Stay off twitter is the best I can recommend.

But yes, I have seen plenty of people post "I suspect this thought is one someone, somewhere, holds, and this it is why it's wrong".

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Stay off twitter is the best I can recommend.

But yes, I have seen plenty of people post "I suspect this thought is one someone, somewhere, holds, and this it is why it's wrong".

Grey Wolf
    It is like the ultimate strawman argument! It has the added bonus that since nobody actually holds the thought, nobody can attack back that you are representing it wrong.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

You know how the comic references itself sometimes?

This feels like one of those times.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    You know how the comic references itself sometimes?

This feels like one of those times.
    Well, for one thing, it is a clear follow-up to 386. In ten years or so we may get the next installment of this guy's relationship with the internet.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

The logical next step is him finding, and getting mad at, an old post he himself wrote long ago.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The logical next step is him finding, and getting mad at, an old post he himself wrote long ago.
    Are you saying you get mad at every post you write? Why would you even do that? How could you even make so many posts knowing you will be mad at every single post you've written? You have a terrible opinion about getting mad at posts written by yourself, and now I'm mad at you for your terrible opinion that you totally have

29. - Top - End - #419

BlackDragon

ExplainXKCD:
    However, on the 2007 anniversary, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote a blog post for LessWrong suggesting that "Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, take a minute to not destroy the world.".

Remember, all you scientific wizards, do not transmute a strangelet pair.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Colossus in the Playground

Absolutely. I've done it. I read some scientific fact and go "Oh, haha, someone could so badly misunderstand that in this way" and then I go google that misunderstanding and get annoyed at the people who actually believe it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist