New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh wow, I don't think I've seen Mr Munroe as political as he's been this last week.
    ...Really?
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had a big paragraph on my thoughts vis-a-vis Munroe's political comics, but instead, I will discuss the physics of Dragons: Draconic bones are obviously made out of some anti-gravity mineral. it accumulates on their home plane, and drifts off into space when their bodies decompose. This is why dragons kill and eat their parents.

Okay, what dragons are available in the new super smash brothers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #453

MindFlayer

Ridley, from the Metroid games, is reported as to appear in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. I don't know any of these games myself, but pictures of Ridley look sort of draconic.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Have we reached the point where telling people about their voting rights is "getting political" or "taking sides"?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #455

Rathalos is also an Assist Trophy.

And Charizard is a character, too. At least, Lance the Dragon Trainer considers Charizard enough of a dragon to have one.

Plus, Alolan Exeggutor is in it. That's a dragon, too, but it can't fly.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Have we reached the point where telling people about their voting rights is "getting political" or "taking sides"?
    I hope not. I was just saying, that's slightly more "political" than "elections are stressful" or "here is a map representing some interesting statistics."
    Last edited by rooster707; 2018-11-07 at 07:36 PM. Reason: forgot a period. Whoops.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    I hope not. I was just saying, that's slightly more "political" than "elections are stressful" or "here is a map representing some interesting statistics"
    I think the map would have been more interesting if he had coded position importance and candidate chance to win separately. As is, it boiled down to essentially "here are the challengers you have probably heard about from the sources I listen to".
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    I'm being old and forgetful, sue me. Also, I still think he made more comics this time (?)

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Rathalos is also an Assist Trophy.

And Charizard is a character, too. At least, Lance the Dragon Trainer considers Charizard enough of a dragon to have one.

Plus, Alolan Exeggutor is in it. That's a dragon, too, but it can't fly.
    I'll never accept Exeggutor as a dragon
    I lost much of my interest in Pokémon a while ago but I'm still baffled by their ideas once in a while.

Also, what are the odds of us getting a Pong character?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #459
    Colossus in the Playground

Does bowser count as a dragon, at least in his upgraded form?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't we have a similar joke a month ago? or at least something along the lines of "complaining about things nobody has ever said"?
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

This is a bit different -- this isn't imagining a horrible opinion and then looking for it or reacting preemptively to it... this is realizing from someone else's reaction that there's a horrible opinion out there you didn't know about.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

12. - Top - End - #462

This is a bit different -- this isn't imagining a horrible opinion and then looking for it or reacting preemptively to it... this is realizing from someone else's reaction that there's a horrible opinion out there you didn't know about.
    Alternatively, the friend is the one imagining the horrible opinion and then reacting preemptively, and in this comic he's looking at it from the outside perspective of "somebody else says that people are reacting to this opinion"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I love the gag in the alt-text about throwing shade on the wall. I had to think about it for several seconds before I started laughing.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

2018-11-16: Blackhat, you are a terrible person! Not that we didn't already know that....

What if we redefined the pound to be exactly one kilogram, and redefined the foot to be exactly 33.3333333 cm?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-11-16 at 02:25 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I love the gag in the alt-text about throwing shade on the wall. I had to think about it for several seconds before I started laughing.
    I suspect he thought of that joke first and wrote the comic to justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    What if we redefined the pound to be exactly one kilogram, and redefined the foot to be exactly 33.3333333 cm?
    Just get on with the times and use metric already.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Believe me, I would like nothing better! Yes, that's an exaggeration, but only a small one.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

I have a deal for the rest of the world.

We'll switch fully to metric, if you switch to a sensible decimal notation... 100,000,000.00 instead of 100.000.000,00

And while we're at it, let's all agree to a sensible date notation, YYYY-MM-DD.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

We'll switch fully to metric, if you switch to a sensible decimal notation... 100,000,000.00 instead of 100.000.000,00
    People use 10.000.000.000,1?
    Over here, we use 10 000 000 000,1.

What's wrong with DD/MM/YY(YY)?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

People use 10.000.000.000,1?
    Over here, we use 10 000 000 000,1.
    Yes. Causes some confusion on docs coming out of South America, which is where I see it a lot.

What's wrong with DD/MM/YY(YY)?
    YYYY-MM-DD is unambiguous compared to the DD-MM vs MM-DD confusion.

YYYY-MM-DD sorts naturally, without the need for a special sort function, in spreadsheets etc.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

The nice thing about yyyy-mm-dd is that sorting alphabetically is the same as sorting by date. I have no preferences apart from that.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So it just popped up on my newsfeed, but They actually are redefining the kilogram.

22. - Top - End - #472

BlackDragon

So the plank constant is no longer defined in terms of the limits of measurability before you make a black hole? It's now defined in terms of the limits of measurability before you need a better meter measuring device?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So the plank constant is no longer defined in terms of the limits of measurability before you make a black hole? It's now defined in terms of the limits of measurability before you need a better meter measuring device?
    I think you've confused the Planck constant, which is used to relate the energy carried by a photon to its frequency, with the Planck *length*--although even then, the Planck length is not the minimum measurable distance and never has been, that's an error many people make.

24. - Top - End - #474

BlackDragon

I thought the idea was that to measure smaller and smaller distances requires more and more energy, and that at the plank length, to get more accurate distances would require so much energy that you'd make a miniature black hole, hence it was the smallest possible distance that could be distinguished.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Please make sure you get Japan in on this deal. There's a unit of 10000 (万) to confuse people, and a second date system based on the emperor. Right now, due to his abdication, we literally don't know what next year is going to be called. It's a headache for computer systems and calendar makers.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the US did try and convert to metric back in the 80s? It didn't stick.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I think the US did try and convert to metric back in the 80s? It didn't stick.
    Metric has been an official measurement system in the US since 1866. The problem is that US customary units are also an official system of units.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I thought the idea was that to measure smaller and smaller distances requires more and more energy, and that at the plank length, to get more accurate distances would require so much energy that you'd make a miniature black hole, hence it was the smallest possible distance that could be distinguished.
    Wait, what? What?! I've never heard anything like that. To the best of my memory Planck length (and Planck time) is just what you get when you take the universal constants and stick them in a bag and shake them really hard calculate the smallest sensible unit of length from them. Or am I confusing it with some other measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Please make sure you get Japan in on this deal. There's a unit of 10000 (万) to confuse people, and a second date system based on the emperor. Right now, due to his abdication, we literally don't know what next year is going to be called. It's a headache for computer systems and calendar makers.
    I thought Japan was really big on the sensible yyyy/mm/dd format since adopting the western calendar? At least that's how I see it in most Anime (which I guess might not be perfect representation of Japanese culture)
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wait, what? What?! I've never heard anything like that. To the best of my memory Planck length (and Planck time) is just what you get when you take the universal constants and stick them in a bag and shake them really hard calculate the smallest sensible unit of length from them. Or am I confusing it with some other measurement?
    That's what I thought too.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2