New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    So, how cute would a cat the size of the planet be?
    Considering this relevant analysis on the subject of furry planetoids, not very much.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Not the size of a planet, but still very large:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/a-beautiful-mind

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    So, how cute would a cat the size of the planet be?
    Well, it's inversely proportional, so not very? I mean, arguably tigers / lions aren't that cute...

I wonder what size the Schwartzschild limit is though... Because I've seen some really small cats.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It seems to me that the current strip is wrong:

https://xkcd.com/2092/

The international date line is 12 hours from UCT, so at UTC midnight, half the world is already in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Date_Line

Thus, all of Russia is to the west of the IDL, and all of the United States is to the east except for the insular areas of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Wake Island.
    India and China as well.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-31 at 02:23 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It seems to me that the current strip is wrong:

https://xkcd.com/2092/

The international date line is 12 hours from UCT, so at UTC midnight, half the world is already in 2019.
    Two things there:
    1) The International Date Line is not straight--it kinks one side and the other in order to ensure that you don't get a situation where a single country is operating in two dates simultaneously. Due to a change a few years ago, this means that parts of the Kiribati archipelago are on the UTC+14 time zone and thus it's the first country in the world to go into the New Year.

2) Even if the IDL *were* exactly 12 hours opposite to Greenwich, it doesn't mean that the world's population is nice and evenly spread either side of it. China and India are both East of Greenwich, for example, and those two countries alone have more than a third of the entire world's population between them. Since the graph is saying what portion of the world's *population* is in 2019, not what portion of the world's *surface* is, it will tend to bias it.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Two things there:
    1) The International Date Line is not straight--it kinks one side and the other in order to ensure that you don't get a situation where a single country is operating in two dates simultaneously. Due to a change a few years ago, this means that parts of the Kiribati archipelago are on the UTC+14 time zone and thus it's the first country in the world to go into the New Year.

2) Even if the IDL *were* exactly 12 hours opposite to Greenwich, it doesn't mean that the world's population is nice and evenly spread either side of it. China and India are both East of Greenwich, for example, and those two countries alone have more than a third of the entire world's population between them. Since the graph is saying what portion of the world's *population* is in 2019, not what portion of the world's *surface* is, it will tend to bias it.
    Yeah, but China, India and Russia are all on the "early" side of the dateline. The time now in China and India is early morning 2019, Moscow is fast approaching Midnight.

Mr. Munroe has got this one wrong, somehow.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-31 at 03:24 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, but China, India and Russia are all on the "early" side of the dateline. The time now in China and India is early morning 2019, Moscow is fast approaching Midnight.

Mr. Munroe has got this one wrong, somehow.
    If I understand what you mean by "early side" correctly, you've got it backwards. The west side of the dateline is one day ahead of the east side. When the dateline hits midnight, it enters a new day, the timezone west of it follows into that new day, and each hour one more timezone further to the west joins the new day.

Edit: Wait, I think the issue might be that you missed what time zone the chart is using. The times on the chart are in EST, which is UTC-5. Midnight UTC is 7pm EST, which is one of the labeled lines on the chart, and shows 85% of world population in the new year.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-12-31 at 03:51 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    If I understand what you mean by "early side" correctly, you've got it backwards. The west side of the dateline is one day ahead of the east side. When the dateline hits midnight, it enters a new day, the timezone west of it follows into that new day, and each hour one more timezone further to the west joins the new day.

Edit: Wait, I think the issue might be that you missed what time zone the chart is using. The times on the chart are in EST, which is UTC-5. Midnight UTC is 7pm EST, which is one of the labeled lines on the chart, and shows 85% of world population in the new year.
    I am pretty sure I'm not wrong about this.

The chart is saying that at 6.30pm UTC half the world's population will be in 2019. At that time, slightly over 3/4 of the world's surface will be in 2019, including China, India, Russia, Europe and Australia.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-31 at 04:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519

I am pretty sure I'm not wrong about this.

The chart is saying that at 6.30pm UTC half the world's population will be in 2019. At that time, slightly over 3/4 of the world's surface will be in 2019, including China, India, Russia, Europe and Australia.
    At that time, slightly over 1/4 of the world's surface was in 2019, including China, India (just barely), a large portion but not all of Russia, and Australia. Europe, Africa, and of course both Americas, were all still 100% in 2018, along with the portion of the Asian continent west of India.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-12-31 at 04:14 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Depends which day we're talking about. If we're talking about 6.30 UTC on 2018.12.31, then it may be right, I thought it was talking about 6.30 UTC on 2019.1.1 when it would be very wrong.

Much editing to clarify who said what when. Sorry for any confusion caused by earlier edits.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-31 at 04:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521

Depends which day we're talking about. If we're talking about 6.30 UTC on 2018.12.31, then it may be right, I thought it was talking about 6.30 UTC on 2019.1.1 when it would be very wrong.

Much editing to clarify who said what when. Sorry for any confusion caused by earlier edits.
    The chart covers the timespan where a portion (and only a portion) of the world is in 2019. 6:30pm UTC 2019.1.1 is outside that timespan, as the world reaches 100% 2019 at noon UTC, six and a half hours earlier.

Also, the date is clearly marked at the left end of the time axis, and again near the right end. It starts in Dec. 31, and the 6:30pm UTC mark is well before the midnight line.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Watching grown adults argue over this makes me more empathetic to my students unable to read a graph....

But appy new year, whenever it occurs to you.

(Also: Is there some joke I'm missing?)
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    (Also: Is there some joke I'm missing?)
    Not every XKCD has to have a joke? Sometimes they're just plain informative, like the one that showed relative radiation doses for various things.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This one really struck a chord with me. When I first started using Instagram, my account was public, which is something I've come to regret. Not that I posted anything embarrassing, I just don't like knowing that some company probably has my photos.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I only just noticed this. Anyone know how long the "How to" ad has been there?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Huh. I only just noticed this. Anyone know how long the "How to" ad has been there?
    It wasn't there last time I checked which was wednesday.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its only been there a couple days. He made a Blag post about it even.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Still better than nine out of ten physics students

I'm curious about the new book. Mr Munroe always puts out good literature, as far as I know.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Are you kidding? He forgot to label the axes !
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-02-11 at 05:21 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Are you kidding? He forgot to label the axes !
    Right, so better than 90% of physics students
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Rest in peace, you beautiful machine. You done good.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They all do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

I hope, someday, that we'll be able to build a museum on Mars, and bring all these rovers and probes in and give them a place of honor, there on Mars.

Yes, I am sentimental, including about machines that do big, real things for us.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-02-13 at 09:12 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I hope, someday, that we'll be able to build a museum on Mars, and bring all these rovers and probes in and give them a place of honor, there on Mars.

Yes, I am sentimental, including about machines that do big, real things for us.
    They could have a whole wing dedicated to whalers on the Moon!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And today's strip: Opportunity Rover. And an alternate version of 695: Spirit. (Not certain who did that update, but it still looks like Randall's work)
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

And today's strip: Opportunity Rover. And an alternate version of 695: Spirit. (Not certain who did that update, but it still looks like Randall's work)
    And now I am sad. I knew what the comic was going to be, but it still makes me sad to read it. I guess it's still a good tribute to the mission. I do much prefer Opportunity's comic.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*Doesn't look at the forum for a month but still wants to join the conversation*

I'm honestly way too exited about this book. What If and Thing Explainer were excellent and I've been waiting for a sequel ever since.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Thing Explainer was kinda fun, but what if? was the best! I loved the Periodic Wall of Elements and the Neutron Star Bullet. The Weird and Worrying Questions were pretty great too!

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know why it's called "big hole" when it could be called "big dig"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know why it's called "big hole" when it could be called "big dig"
    Ah, but isn't "Big Dig" the name of a public transit project in Boston? I think that being in the pocket of "big mine" or "big mineral" are both equally applicable to mining and sound significantly less silly than "big hole". Then again, he is trying to get us to laugh, not to educate us on all the things our politicians are in the pocket of. After all, I'm fairly certain that "Big Funny" is slowly accruing power, and will soon be the most influential special interest in the history of the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.