New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

It's actually very easy to copy and paste a URL on my phone. Chrome even has a dedicated button for copying urls now.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The current comic is one of my pet peeves. Going by one definition, I'm a millenial. Going by another definition, people 20 years younger than me are. And the definition seems to keep moving year-by-year.

Maybe we need a new definition, like the Naughty Generation or something.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The current comic is one of my pet peeves. Going by one definition, I'm a millenial. Going by another definition, people 20 years younger than me are. And the definition seems to keep moving year-by-year.
    Given that a generation is supposed to be about 25 years wide, that seems to be working as intended?

My main complaint about this "generation"business is how America-centric it is. It has no correlation whatsoever with my own peers, nor, from what I've experienced, anyone outside of the US (maybe Canada?), and yet it's bandied about in "news" as if it were some universal distinction.

So, standard complaint about American navel-gazing, really, this is hardly the only place where it happens.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Given that a generation is supposed to be about 25 years wide, that seems to be working as intended?

My main complaint about this "generation"business is how America-centric it is. It has no correlation whatsoever with my own peers, nor, from what I've experienced, anyone outside of the US (maybe Canada?), and yet it's bandied about in "news" as if it were some universal distinction.

So, standard complaint about American navel-gazing, really, this is hardly the only place where it happens.
    It's not even all that relevant outside the media and pop-demography in the US. I have very little in common with my supposed "generation", because I grew up in a rural area outside a small town, far from the big coastal cities that get fixated on, and my parents were 30 when I was born and also grew up mainly in rural areas outside small towns.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Grey Wolf
    Most of it probably is USAian, but the baby boom was a more or less world wide phenomenon that seemed to be started by the end of WW2.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Most of it probably is USAian, but the baby boom was a more or less world wide phenomenon that seemed to be started by the end of WW2.
    Sure, but that doesn't make the boomer-equivalent generation of my own country in any way equivalent in outlook, morality, politics or anything else similar to the American boomers. And yet, to hear the news tell it, "millennials" are the same the world over, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Sure, but that doesn't make the boomer-equivalent generation of my own country in any way equivalent in outlook, morality, politics or anything else similar to the American boomers. And yet, to hear the news tell it, "millennials" are the same the world over, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, the whole thing's silly when they make generalisations about a generation. People are all different.

There was a baby boom though, and it probably related to WW2.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As far as im aware, the "Millennials are doing X" shtick tends to be done by two groups: clickbait media and Millennials who are engaging in what amounts to a private joke at this point.

Theres also the related, but not identical "kids these days" people, which I think encompasses just about everybody over the age of about 17 to varying degrees.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2019-06-20 at 11:03 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

From my very far away position of not-being American I feel like Millennial is a decent term, but not for a generation but for a subset of people from a generation. Which is true for most others as well. Maybe Babyboomers are especially homogeneous but generation x or whatever else exists as terms for others are also not identical across all people. But people who consider themselves millenials share a lot of commonalities and don't argue that. It's of course problematic / confusing when blanket statements are made about every person born between year x and y.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    From my very far away position of not-being American I feel like Millennial is a decent term, but not for a generation but for a subset of people from a generation. Which is true for most others as well. Maybe Babyboomers are especially homogeneous but generation x or whatever else exists as terms for others are also not identical across all people. But people who consider themselves millenials share a lot of commonalities and don't argue that. It's of course problematic / confusing when blanket statements are made about every person born between year x and y.
    It's especially a thing with how quickly technology is changing society. I know, I know, hang an onion on my belt and all that, but the advent of the Internet has been a massive game-changer culturally. So it gets rather weird when people talk about millenials and their obsession with all things Internet and I grew up without it really being a thing. Those on the border of a big technological shift like that are in kind of a weird place.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's especially a thing with how quickly technology is changing society. I know, I know, hang an onion on my belt and all that, but the advent of the Internet has been a massive game-changer culturally. So it gets rather weird when people talk about millenials and their obsession with all things Internet and I grew up without it really being a thing. Those on the border of a big technological shift like that are in kind of a weird place.
    I'm old enough that I saw vinyl records go from commonplace to "garbage" and back to "hipster fauxstalgia haut couture".

I'm old enough to remember 8-tracks, rotary phones and party lines, AM radio being more than a niche...

I'm older than cellphones, those big laser video disks, CDs (let alone the streaming rental music garbage), commonplace home computers, microwaves as a ubiquitous appliance, and "the web".

I have no use for streaming subscriptions, the internet of stupid useless crap things, most social media, or being spied on by advertisers "to enrich my experience".

I scoff at the notion of the singularity, and refer to it as the "rapture for nerds"... mainly because I'm already living in a world of relentless change I can't slow down, and yet the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    ... I'm already living in a world of relentless change I can't slow down, and yet the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Reminds me of this xkcd strip. It does put things in perspective.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

So...I have to confess I have not understood this "shadow biosphere" joke. Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    So...I have to confess I have not understood this "shadow biosphere" joke. Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me?
    I wouldn’t, but these people would.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, will remember the link :)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with the latest comic: if you tell them a neural network did it, they'll expect it to keep working without any additional labor on your part as they add new photos.

On the other hand, the same problem applies if you actually train a neural network to do this...

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

What's your first news memory?

Mine is probably the 1980 election. I do remember reading bits of the newspaper as my dad taught me to read (a year or two earlier), but none of the stories stuck until that one.

I vaguely remember the 1979 partial eclipse (well, partial for my area of the country, anyway), but I don't remember news stories about it.

I do remember the Challenger disaster, but I was one of the kids who went out to recess (I'd seen shuttle launches before) and came back inside to hear about it from the kids who stayed in to watch.

Does seeing your picture from the local paper count? There's a photo of me asleep in my dad's backpack baby carrier at a local parade when I was about 2-3. I remember my mom showing me that photo cut from the newspaper when I was about 4. Which would predate the 1980 election by a year or so.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see... Iran hostage crisis, and Carter v Reagan election.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I got distracted by today's comic by trying to keep it consistent who was standing by who, while it appears to be changing.

---

As far as first memory: none of mine are really news-related. I guess the first big news thing I can remember with any detail is 9-11, but I was in high school during that so it's definitely not close to a first memory. I know of earlier historical events, but don't really have memories associated with them beyond small audio or video clips from the news or comedian commentary. Then again, never really watched or cared about news as a kid.

Is it thought that most folk have a 'first memory' associated with a major news thing?

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I got distracted by today's comic by trying to keep it consistent who was standing by who, while it appears to be changing.

---

As far as first memory: none of mine are really news-related. I guess the first big news thing I can remember with any detail is 9-11, but I was in high school during that so it's definitely not close to a first memory. I know of earlier historical events, but don't really have memories associated with them beyond small audio or video clips from the news or comedian commentary. Then again, never really watched or cared about news as a kid.

Is it thought that most folk have a 'first memory' associated with a major news thing?
    No, it's thought that most folk have an earliest news event that they remember specifically -- not your first memory, but the oldest/first news event you remember.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    No, it's thought that most folk have an earliest news event that they remember specifically -- not your first memory, but the oldest/first news event you remember.
    That is, some event or report on the news that you learned about via the news, rather than living it yourself. And on that subject, watching the 9/11 attacks in the school library.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Mine would definitely be the JFK assassination. All the adults went bananas.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like my first memory should be related to the Berlin Wall coming down but I really don't. I guess 4 year old me didn't care?
    I have a very vague memory of some report on some conflict concerning Russia which must be from the early 90s.. If I had to guess Chechnya? I remember it because it lead to me talking to my father about him and him apparently being shocked elementary school me didn't know anything about the world wars.
    If I have to put a date to a concrete memory, I guess it's 9/11, just because I don't remember dates.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

24. - Top - End - #594
    Orc in the Playground

Depending on whether I had to see it on a news medium, it's either the Challenger loss or Tianemen Square interrupting my Saturday morning cartoons.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

It's one of the disconcerting effects of age... seeing people talk about things I remember vividly as their "first news memory"... or as actual history.

My high school years coincided with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the collapse of the USSR and end of "world communism" as a threat, the first Gulf War...

26. - Top - End - #596
    Bugbear in the Playground

My earliest news memory is actually me, in October 1978, when we got our first computer, which was the first personal computer in town. (It was an Exidy Sorcerer. You've probably never heard of the company or the computer.) The Burlington Free Press ran an article about it, complete with a full-color photograph of me, at age just-barely-four, playing Hangman on the Sorcerer while my father and older brother watched over my shoulders. I remember the photographer being there for the shoot, and his disbelief that I could operate the computer.

In international news, it would be either the Iran hostage crisis or the Lake Placid Olympics. The Olympics happened while the hostage crisis was ongoing, and I'm not sure if I became aware of the hostage crisis before or after the Olympics. (Or possibly even "during".) I was born during the Ford administration, but I have no memories of Ford as President (or really any sort of public figure). I do remember Carter as President.

My very earliest memory is a vague recollection of seeing my little sister for the first time. (July 1976. I wasn't quite two yet.) I have nothing else I can specifically place in time for a couple years after that.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    My earliest news memory is actually me, in October 1978, when we got our first computer, which was the first personal computer in town. (It was an Exidy Sorcerer. You've probably never heard of the company or the computer.) The Burlington Free Press ran an article about it, complete with a full-color photograph of me, at age just-barely-four, playing Hangman on the Sorcerer while my father and older brother watched over my shoulders. I remember the photographer being there for the shoot, and his disbelief that I could operate the computer.
    I thought Exidy was a software bunch that made early swivel-mount-light-gun arcade games--Crossbow, Cheyenne, and War (can't really remember that title exactly, but it had a Godzilla bonus round.)

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

My first news memory is probably... Hong Kong being given back to China, which was in... 1997?

I didn't really care about the news before then.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #599
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    My first news memory is probably... Hong Kong being given back to China, which was in... 1997?

I didn't really care about the news before then.
    It being a major plot point in Rush Hour probably helped.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-13 at 03:31 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #600
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I remember the 1996 US election. Or at least staying up late watching results come in. I definitely remember Columbine, though that is fuzzy and was probably second hand. The 2000 US election I can remember being abreast of the news (and hearing about hanging and pregnant chads out of Florida). The first one I remember following on the news on my own was the 2nd world trade center attack (where it fell apart and killed ~3000 people), but that was also probably the first event in my life where schools turning the news to it was reasonable.

Edit: Okay, and I do remember hearing about Hong Kong going back to China. Didn't the US finish handing over the canal zone to Panama about that time too?
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2019-07-13 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.