New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #691
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

The most recent one is kind of funny, but it is essentially rehashing a point that has been made in previous XKCDs: humans do not have an intuitive grasp of how big big numbers are.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The most recent one is kind of funny, but it is essentially rehashing a point that has been made in previous XKCDs: humans do not have an intuitive grasp of how big big numbers are.
    I feel like I have a semi-decent grasp of stuff up to 10^20, or at least I can compare it to other stuff. Above 10^20 I just give up. (I call it the scientific Sesame Street limit, 20 being the highest number I've ever seen Sesame Street count to, making 20 the normal people Sesame Street limit.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I feel like I have a semi-decent grasp of stuff up to 10^20, or at least I can compare it to other stuff. Above 10^20 I just give up. (I call it the scientific Sesame Street limit, 20 being the highest number I've ever seen Sesame Street count to, making 20 the normal people Sesame Street limit.)
    Right on the verge of Avogadro's number: 6.03x1023. Where "verge" in this case means "about 1000 times smaller".

I think part of the problem is we don't intuitively grasp exponents. 10120 sounds pretty close to 10125. They're only 5 numbers apart, right? I always need to remind myself that "no, that second number is 100,000 times larger than the first one."
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #694
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Even those comics (and especially the second one) doesn't really do the sheer scale of it justice, especially if you think of it in terms of actual units. For example, if you have a dollar and I have a thousand dollars, then I have roughly a thousand dollars more than you. And it seems that way to the average person right off the bat. Conversely, if you have a million dollars and I have a billion dollars, then I have roughly a billion dollars more than you. And it does not seem that way to the average person right off the bat.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Right on the verge of Avogadro's number: 6.03x1023. Where "verge" in this case means "about 1000 times smaller".
    That's a pretty good example really. I have some tools to get to that scale. I know a molecule is about a thousand times as small as a bacteria, which is about a thousand times as small as really large cells or really small micro animals, which are about a thousand times as small as a flee or an ant, which is about a thousand times as small as me, or a large house. You know, roughly in the same area. I can kinda grasp the number of molecules needed to make a small vesicle or the amount of bases in our genetic code, I can find reason in the number of bacteria I will have after letting the flask incubate for 24 hours. But actually imagining individual molecules in a mole of something? I've been taught I shouldn't even try that. You can't determine the properties of a macroscale material from its molecular properties without considering the mesoscale structure, where the material is already not acting like a collection of atoms, ions or molecules.

So yeah, around there.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I briefly thought the title of today's OOTS (Move Slow and Preserve Things) was a reference to xkcd's Move Fast and Break Things and thought it was pretty cool. Turns out "move fast and break things" is just a common saying I was somehow totally unaware of until today.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    I briefly thought the title of today's OOTS (Move Slow and Preserve Things) was a reference to xkcd's Move Fast and Break Things and thought it was pretty cool. Turns out "move fast and break things" is just a common saying I was somehow totally unaware of until today.
    It's Zuckerberg's motto, and reflects his utter lack of personal accountability or responsibility -- it reflects the worst of the "disruption" attitude towards innovation... charge full speed ahead and break things so you can charge people to fix them, destroy as much of what came before as possible to make room for your minimally-viable products and services.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's Zuckerberg's motto, and reflects his utter lack of personal accountability or responsibility -- it reflects the worst of the "disruption" attitude towards innovation... charge full speed ahead and break things so you can charge people to fix them, destroy as much of what came before as possible to make room for your minimally-viable products and services.
    That's not really what the motto means. It comes from an era when a lot of startups were struggling and dying because they tried to come out with a perfect polished product to compete with the bigger companies, and in so doing either never actually released anything because their product was never "good enough" to meet their benchmark (and then died), or released something but were then afraid to change it and were out-innovated by said bigger companies (and then died).

"Move fast" in this case means "get something to market as fast as possible so you have something to show investors and get the public interested," and "break things" means "don't be afraid to make radical changes to improve or expand the product, even if it results in non-working code for a while." It's something a lot of startups could benefit from taking to heart.

The problem with Facebook is not that philosophy, which is basically what let them overtake MySpace and become the behemoth they are today (which isn't necessarily a good thing for society, obviously, but it was a good thing for Facebook). The problem is that once they grew past the "plucky startup" phase they continued to act as if they were a startup instead of pivoting to a more sustainable model, and that's what led to the stuff you mentioned.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    That's not really what the motto means. It comes from an era when a lot of startups were struggling and dying because they tried to come out with a perfect polished product to compete with the bigger companies, and in so doing either never actually released anything because their product was never "good enough" to meet their benchmark (and then died), or released something but were then afraid to change it and were out-innovated by said bigger companies (and then died).

"Move fast" in this case means "get something to market as fast as possible so you have something to show investors and get the public interested," and "break things" means "don't be afraid to make radical changes to improve or expand the product, even if it results in non-working code for a while." It's something a lot of startups could benefit from taking to heart.

The problem with Facebook is not that philosophy, which is basically what let them overtake MySpace and become the behemoth they are today (which isn't necessarily a good thing for society, obviously, but it was a good thing for Facebook). The problem is that once they grew past the "plucky startup" phase they continued to act as if they were a startup instead of pivoting to a more sustainable model, and that's what led to the stuff you mentioned.
    That might be true of Zuckerberg's original intent -- but the way I described it is also how many other startups and entrepreneurs and VCs have acted since, and they reference that quote as influencing their attitude.

Good news is, there's growing backlash in the consumer market, in politics, etc, against the attitude.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    That's your problem with Facebook? I would rate their reckless data mining and selling higher, myself.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

That might be true of Zuckerberg's original intent -- but the way I described it is also how many other startups and entrepreneurs and VCs have acted since, and they reference that quote as influencing their attitude.

Good news is, there's growing backlash in the consumer market, in politics, etc, against the attitude.
    Well, yeah, people taking a quote that they don't actually understand as inspiration are going to do dumb things. Much like people loved Google's "Don't Be Evil" motto and where aghast when it stopped being Google's motto, without knowing what it meant in the first place or why it stopped being relevant. My point was that one shouldn't conflate "Facebook has been a crappy company that's set a bad example in the market" (true) with "Facebook's motto is crappy advice that leads to bad results" (false).

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's your problem with Facebook? I would rate their reckless data mining and selling higher, myself.
    No, I said the change in size and resources without a corresponding change in philosophy is what specifically led to the flaky infrastructure, poor code quality, and other things that Max mentioned. Their total disregard for privacy was there from the beginning and hasn't changed at all, just become more obvious to the public.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

This year's "April Fools" comic: Collector's Edition.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #703
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

How do you use the backpack on that one?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

14. - Top - End - #704

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I think you needed to collect stuff back on the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    You know xkcd-explained ?
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a very cool setup. I didn't really understand what was going on, I'm glad you posted that.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    That's a very cool setup. I didn't really understand what was going on, I'm glad you posted that.
    I came into it late and saw it crammed full of unrelated things; I assumed it was making a joke about what XKCD With Ads would look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #708

Well, this method/ of general-audience news sources reporting on scientific research is still more accurate than the one from a previous XKCD.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Slightly disappointed that todays XKCD "wrong multiplation" is commutative. Obviously if that's how Randell thinks that what he thinks, but I'd expect some more 7*X=56 and 8*x=56, and perhaps some other odd effects based on the order you hear things.
    Last edited by jayem; 2020-06-01 at 11:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by jayem View Post
    Slightly disappointed that todays XKCD "wrong multiplation" is commutative. Obviously if that's how Randell thinks that what he thinks, but I'd expect some more 7*X=56 and 8*x=56, and perhaps some other odd effects based on the order you hear things.
    There are a few places where the same answer shows up multiple times in a row or column, but I was also sad that, for example, 1*2 is 1/2 and 2*1 is 1/2 (instead of 21). I haven't checked that it is reflected across the diagonal everywhere, but I think that would have stood out.

Also, that one is from Friday. Maybe he will post a new one later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #711

BlackDragon

The "Low background metal" reminds me of DMFA (web comic), where the current plot revolves around trying to find metal that is pure from traces of magic -- low levels of background magic in the metal.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Colossus in the Playground

Apparently, low-background metal is a real thing. It's used in various ultra-sensitive detectors.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-06-19 at 03:23 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Apparently, low-background metal is a real thing. It's used in various ultra-sensitive detectors.
    It is, and it's very valuable, to the point that looters will try to salvage pre-1945 shipwrecks that are considered war graves, historical sites, etc for the metal.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Orc in the Playground

It is, and it's very valuable, to the point that looters will try to salvage pre-1945 shipwrecks that are considered war graves, historical sites, etc for the metal.
    What's wrong with freshly-mined metal from a deep deep vein? Too close to the mantle?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    What's wrong with freshly-mined metal from a deep deep vein? Too close to the mantle?
    The deep deep part. Most mining is done at/near the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    When I looked it up, the problem isn't with the lack of uncontaminated ore, but that all current processing systems would then contaminate it in the process of turning it into actual metal. The smelting process contaminates it from sources in the air: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-06-19 at 11:06 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    The deep deep part. Most mining is done at/near the surface.
    Elaborating on this, it gets very hot once you start getting deeper underground, and getting air to people/equipment down that deep becomes extremely difficult. You start running into problems like "how do we get the material out without dying?" where the answer tends to be "we dont. anything we send down there cant be alive in the first place." At which point youre investing so much keeping your digging robots working that it just isnt worth it anymore, assuming they work long enough to get anything out in the first place.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #718

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

As somebody who's studied a lot of maths and a little of the basics of graphic design, I want to say:

I hate this. I hate everything about this.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #720

BlackDragon

You start running into problems like "how do we get the material out without dying?" where the answer tends to be "we dont. anything we send down there cant be alive in the first place."
    So, we're mining too deep?

I'm not sure if I should be thinking of Doctor Who or Lord of the Rings.