New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    So the alt text of https://xkcd.com/903/ says "Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy""

To be honest my first thought was "there's no way that works" but I got it in 19 clicks on the first try.
    It doesn't always work (the alternatives are broken links, or ending up in loops between two pages referencing each other), but there is a wikipedia metaarticle about it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

So the alt text of https://xkcd.com/903/ says "Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy""

To be honest my first thought was "there's no way that works" but I got it in 19 clicks on the first try.
    Articles that follow the wiki mos pretty much always do it. I think the united states of America page is one of the exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Barbarian in the Playground

The real answer is that there are many loops (so it doesn't always work), but one of the most common is the one that contains philosophy.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It doesn't always work (the alternatives are broken links, or ending up in loops between two pages referencing each other), but there is a wikipedia metaarticle about it.

Grey Wolf
    Ironically (?) That article does not lead to philosophy. It went through mathematics and ancient greek so I thought it was a slam dunk until it wasn't.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2020-11-18 at 08:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Ironically (?) That article does not lead to philosophy. It went through mathematics and ancient greek so I thought it was a slam dunk until it wasn't.
    Huh?

Getting to Philosophy
    Point and click
    User (computing)
    Computer
    Sequence
    Mathematics
    Quantity
    Counting
    Number
    Mathematical object
    Concept
    Abstraction
    Rule of inference
    Logical form
    Philosophy.

Did you click on "Greek" in the Mathematics article? You're not supposed to click on things in parantheses.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2020-11-19 at 12:03 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #786
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Articles that follow the wiki mos pretty much always do it. I think the united states of America page is one of the exceptions.
    That seems intuitive- we're not on the metric system either, why should our wiki page follow the general rule?- but at the moment, unless I've missed something.:

United States of America redirects to United States
    Country
    State (polity)
    Polity
    Collective Identity
    Belonginess
    Emotion
    Biology
    Natural Science
    Branches of Science
    Sciences
    Scientific Method
    Empirical Evidence
    Information
    Uncertainty
    Epistemology
    Philosophy

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    That seems intuitive- we're not on the metric system either, why should our wiki page follow the general rule?- but at the moment, unless I've missed something.:

United States of America redirects to United States
    Country
    State (polity)
    Polity
    Collective Identity
    Belonginess
    Emotion
    Biology
    Natural Science
    Branches of Science
    Sciences
    Scientific Method
    Empirical Evidence
    Information
    Uncertainty
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    It was some page that was close to the USA page. It was a 3 page loop, though I think there was at least 1 redirect. And somebody might have fixed things since.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

On today's strip, the mouse-over text had me laughing out loud. Trolling the phishers.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Did you click on "Greek" in the Mathematics article? You're not supposed to click on things in parantheses.
    That is exactly what I did. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #790

So getting public records of mortgages and such is probably feasible, but (at least in the US) there are laws that prevent people from getting them collated into a nice pile without good reason. So somebody could feasibly get a pile of voting records from my home town to figure out what street I grew up on and they might be able to get marriage records from where my parents got married to get my mother's maiden name, but getting my street combined with my mother's maiden name is pretty much impossible without me giving them to someone (or searching my mother's facebook for who her parents/siblings are, but that is just crazy talk).
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So getting public records of mortgages and such is probably feasible, but (at least in the US) there are laws that prevent people from getting them collated into a nice pile without good reason. So somebody could feasibly get a pile of voting records from my home town to figure out what street I grew up on and they might be able to get marriage records from where my parents got married to get my mother's maiden name, but getting my street combined with my mother's maiden name is pretty much impossible without me giving them to someone (or searching my mother's facebook for who her parents/siblings are, but that is just crazy talk).
    One would assume that people interested in committing identity theft are not terribly concerned with the legality of their actions.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #792

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    One would assume that people interested in committing identity theft are not terribly concerned with the legality of their actions.
    The laws are supposed to stop the people who have the records from giving them out to people without a legitimate reason to have them, not just stop people without good reason to have them from getting them. As such they include severe punishments for credit reporting agencies who do not properly safeguard records.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

I know when I bought my house I started getting piles of adds for mortgage insurance that tried to look as urgent as possible, but were probably rip-offs or scams. So that info is actively being used by SOMEONE.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I know when I bought my house I started getting piles of adds for mortgage insurance that tried to look as urgent as possible, but were probably rip-offs or scams. So that info is actively being used by SOMEONE.
    I you got them in the snail mail then it is probable, but people doing the legwork and throwing those adds in the mailboxes simply might see that someone new moved in to a house that was for sale, so they naturally assumed that mortgage was involved.

If you get those adds on the internet, there is an even simpler answer: profiling. Any search on Google, any website you look at, is providing data on your activity. It does not have to have your name on it or be viewable by anyone personally. There are algorithms right now that can easily infer a lot about you and profile the ads you see based on the your history. You might have searched for various mortgage options, house offers, transport services or furniture. All those little pieces of data tell that you are very likely to have or are about to take a mortgage, so algorithms target you with on-topic ads.

There are pretty crazy stories about this. One that I remember was about Target, as thanks to all the data analysis they do on the customers they are able to tell for example, who is pregnant and pretty accurately predict, when the baby is due.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The laws are supposed to stop the people who have the records from giving them out to people without a legitimate reason to have them, not just stop people without good reason to have them from getting them. As such they include severe punishments for credit reporting agencies who do not properly safeguard records.
    But they're public records. That means they're free to access and anyone can just copy them. How are you supposed to safeguard for that?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

16. - Top - End - #796

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    But they're public records. That means they're free to access and anyone can just copy them. How are you supposed to safeguard for that?
    Some of them are public (I think who owns land falls in to this category). Some of them are only released many years after they are made (like the census). Some of them can be accessed by anyone with a valid use (so lenders can send people pre-approved offers by looking at people's profiles as happened to PhantomFox). Enforcing that last one is the purview of the FTC in the US. Other nations have different laws and agencies to do that.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I you got them in the snail mail then it is probable, but people doing the legwork and throwing those adds in the mailboxes simply might see that someone new moved in to a house that was for sale, so they naturally assumed that mortgage was involved.

If you get those adds on the internet, there is an even simpler answer: profiling. Any search on Google, any website you look at, is providing data on your activity. It does not have to have your name on it or be viewable by anyone personally. There are algorithms right now that can easily infer a lot about you and profile the ads you see based on the your history. You might have searched for various mortgage options, house offers, transport services or furniture. All those little pieces of data tell that you are very likely to have or are about to take a mortgage, so algorithms target you with on-topic ads.

There are pretty crazy stories about this. One that I remember was about Target, as thanks to all the data analysis they do on the customers they are able to tell for example, who is pregnant and pretty accurately predict, when the baby is due.
    Because I put my purchases at a certain grocery chain on my friend's rewards card so she gets the rewards, there have been multiple times when they've somehow concluded that we're married and soon to have a child.

Those algorithms aren't as smart as they're made out to be.

Especially the online stuff, if you block all the ways that they associate your activity cross-site.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Because I put my purchases at a certain grocery chain on my friend's rewards card so she gets the rewards, there have been multiple times when they've somehow concluded that we're married and soon to have a child.

Those algorithms aren't as smart as they're made out to be.

Especially the online stuff, if you block all the ways that they associate your activity cross-site.
    That seems a bit unfair to the algorithms. They can only work with the data they get.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've never understood why mother's maiden name is considered a good security question. My mother does genealogy and can trace the family back into the 1600s. Why they think a scammer can't trace back one generation is beyond me.

Almost anything you could ask would be more difficult, yet mother's maiden name is the most common.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I've never understood why mother's maiden name is considered a good security question. My mother does genealogy and can trace the family back into the 1600s. Why they think a scammer can't trace back one generation is beyond me.

Almost anything you could ask would be more difficult, yet mother's maiden name is the most common.
    "Childhood best friend", "Street i grew up on" and "Name of first pet" are also terrible ones. Basically anything that can be found on facebook really.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

I've never understood why mother's maiden name is considered a good security question.
    For the same reason passwords were considered a good security question. "When used right" a random password not used anywhere else is probably a decent enough security system, for small scale applications and protecting data most people aren't going to spend too much effort getting at. Equally, requiring two pieces of personal trivia they are unlikely to forget as a secondary check for password recovery works equally well (i.e. not much). It just does not scale at all - expecting human beings to come up with several dozen random passwords and rotate them is unrealistic, and expecting every service to have sufficient random trivia questions that apply broadly is equally unrealistic, as it turns out.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-11-23 at 08:44 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Childhood best friend", "Street i grew up on" and "Name of first pet" are also terrible ones. Basically anything that can be found on facebook really.
    "Name of first pet" works well for me because my first pet died before the Internet existed. Or at least, it died before the Internet was widely available to the public. So you have to guess what type of pet I had and then guess its name with zero information.

I wonder how many times that security question gets broken based on regional pet names, or pet names based on breed. If you start guessing Border Collie names in Yorkshire, the odds of hitting the jackpot with "Shep" are about 1 in 1.

The best solution I've seen is to not answer the question. You have a second easier to remember password that you use to answer security questions. You don't base this off any of the common questions, but something that is unique to you which would be impossible for a scammer to find out.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    For the same reason passwords were considered a good security question. "When used right" a random password not used anywhere else is probably a decent enough security system, for small scale applications and protecting data most people aren't going to spend too much effort getting at. Equally, requiring two pieces of personal trivia they are unlikely to forget as a secondary check for password recovery works equally well (i.e. not much). It just does not scale at all - expecting human beings to come up with several dozen random passwords and rotate them is unrealistic, and expecting every service to have sufficient random trivia questions that apply broadly is equally unrealistic, as it turns out.

Grey Wolf
    So most of the internet security is equivalent to a cheap bike lock, where the general idea is that stealing the bike is not worth the effort of using a wire cutter. That makes sense actually and explains why people do use those cheap locks. Also relevant is this comics.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    So most of the internet security is equivalent to a cheap bike lock, where the general idea is that stealing the bike is not worth the effort of using a wire cutter. That makes sense actually and explains why people do use those cheap locks. Also relevant is this comics.
    Theres a reason that, unlike in hollywood, the vast majority of actual illicit access to things comes from social engineering. No door ever designed will be as hard to break through as a solid wall, because by its very nature as a door it is designed to grant access under specific conditions. Thus, hacking mostly ends up being tricking or convincing somebody to tell you those conditions and then matching them. The human element will always be the weakest element in any security system.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think the idea was that, back in the early days, when simple security questions were being designed, something that would stop 99% of all trouble at little to no cost was considered "sufficient".

As for passwords, and password hint/recovery questions, the biggest problem is the lack of any education on what makes a good password. For years, dumb computer systems had 8 character passwords, just because. So people kinda learned by practice to use 6-8 letter "words". There has never been any sort of education on what to use instead.

Worse, there is no common "this makes a password" in industry. Every site seems to roll their own password code, even though that's the worst security mistake you can make. Programs that require you to not use special characters, because they can be fooled by the equivalent of
    Code:
    " || "" == "
    in whatever language you are using (note what that does if you insert it into
    Code:
    "$dbpass" == "$userpass"
    in any scripting language that does string substitution). Programs that don't sanitize their input, in other words. Programs that can be fooled by unicode because they don't use a transparent encoding like utf-8, but have a 16- or 32- bit encoding that lets a user character contain a relevant character (such as a closing quote followed by more commands). Etc.

Since we don't have any sort of standard for "what constitutes a password", and no education for "what makes a good password", or any sort of "How to manage hundreds and hundreds of passwords" (hint: a password manager is *not* the answer, unless you want to be tied to one browser, and what happens when that browser wipes storage and forces you to start over -- ahem, Chrome), each user has to try to reinvent the hexagon when they don't even have a really round wheel.

As for security / recovery questions? There's a simple one:

Let the user specify both the question and the answer.

I can come up with something that gives me a hint to an answer, that will be indecipherable to anyone else. I can come up with dozens, if not hundreds, of such. I'm sure most people can do at least 10 such. Yet all of these sites want to ask something that even I don't know the answer to because my background is so different than typical people.

Rotating a password? That's not necessarily bad. Give users a warning that they will have to change it soon. Nope -- As soon as you log in, before you can even get to the information you wanted to get you, ** NOW, RIGHT NOW, THIS INSTANT, QUICKLY CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD BEFORE WE LET YOU SEE WHAT YOU NEED.

IN A HURRY? QUICK, STUFF ANYTHING IN, AND IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE SECURE BECAUSE WE ASSUME ALL PEOPLE ALWAYS KNOW A SECURE NEXT PASSWORD TO JUST USE AT ANY TIME, AND OF COURSE YOU HAVE TIME TO DO SOMETHING SECURE BEFORE GETTING THE INFORMATION THAT YOU REALLY NEED *NOW*.

Seriously: If I go onto my bank to check something about my account, that's only supposed to be a minute or so. I don't have 10 minutes to make up something new, different, memorizable, and unique enough. So it either gets written down, or I rotate among a few common "high security" passwords that I reuse at high security sites.

And that's been my solution. A few low-security passwords, a few mediums, a few highs.

I mean, we all know that password loss is because of user problems, right? End systems will always be secure, always keep that password in a proper salted hash, never in plain text, and never expose the password file, right? Never take the password data over plain http even if the webpage is https. Etc. Any leak must be the user's fault, so if someone logs in with your password, it must be your own doing and the company is not responsible, right?

Yea.

===

Side note: After observing my mother, I'm convinced that the problem starts with all these sites that say "Enter your account and password". At first, she wanted to know why all these sites wanted her chromebook information.

None of them say something like "Enter your account for oursite.com". Just "Enter your account". Like somehow, users are supposed to know WHICH account, or even IF there is an account.

It is *rare* for a site to start with "Enter your account name", then give you back something to prove that the site is who it claims to be -- such as a picture I sent to that site -- before asking for password. It isn't even usually possible (anymore) to enter a dummy bit of information on the first page, and real information on the next page.

Heck, real security would mean ** you never give the true answer on the first time, unless you do, and probably not on the second time. Maybe on the third time**.

Real security means ** assume that this is NOT really the site you want to talk to **. If you give the real information, and it's a fake site, you're in trouble. So give it junk, and if it seems to work, you know it's wrong. (Yes, MitM hacking has gotten better, so this is less likely to work -- if they can hijack your connection, they can probably talk to the real site at the same time).

What's that? "SSL will ensure this cannot happen"? Dear sweet beginner, SSL only ensures that the communication is not being spied on in the middle -- it does not guarantee that the person on the far end really is who you think it is. That can be foiled by any trusted root, anywhere in the world, that issues a bad certificate. But that will never, ever happen, right? Certainly not by any russia or china government root, right? And I haven't even looked at what DNS spoofing can do, or if you have a government mandated root DNS server that has different data.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

26. - Top - End - #806

MindFlayer

In particular, I think "mother's maiden name" was carried over from its use as a disambiguator. When you are still assuming honesty, you can distinguish the "John Smith" whose mother was a Jones from the "John Smith" whose mother was a McGillicuddy. These days, birth date seems to be a more popular disambiguator.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2020-11-24 at 08:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Colossus in the Playground

"Name of first pet" works well for me because my first pet died before the Internet existed. Or at least, it died before the Internet was widely available to the public. So you have to guess what type of pet I had and then guess its name with zero information.

I wonder how many times that security question gets broken based on regional pet names, or pet names based on breed. If you start guessing Border Collie names in Yorkshire, the odds of hitting the jackpot with "Shep" are about 1 in 1.

The best solution I've seen is to not answer the question. You have a second easier to remember password that you use to answer security questions. You don't base this off any of the common questions, but something that is unique to you which would be impossible for a scammer to find out.
    Pet doesn't work for me. I was a spectacularly unimaginative four year old and had a guinea pig that had the same name as me.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #808

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Pet doesn't work for me. I was a spectacularly unimaginative four year old and had a guinea pig that had the same name as me.
    Ah, like in the old Monty Python sketch. "Eric the Guinea Pig", only using your name instead of Eric's.

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post

Since we don't have any sort of standard for "what constitutes a password", and no education for "what makes a good password", or any sort of "How to manage hundreds and hundreds of passwords" (hint: a password manager is *not* the answer, unless you want to be tied to one browser, and what happens when that browser wipes storage and forces you to start over -- ahem, Chrome), each user has to try to reinvent the hexagon when they don't even have a really round wheel.
    ? KeePass and others are separate from your browser and just keep multiple copies of the file to be safe.

30. - Top - End - #810

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    ? KeePass and others are separate from your browser and just keep multiple copies of the file to be safe.
    That's good to know.

Now, lets say I've got both a main computer, and I use firefox and chrome. And then, I've got an iphone, that only knows safari. And I need to use a chromebook at times.

How do I manage to synchronzie all of these, so that my unrememberable, non-written down, computer trusted passwords are usable on these other machines?

The real solution is some sort of physical key ring, a USB-thingie that, just like physical house keys, unlocks accounts. Now figure out how to make that safe when used on someone else's untrusted computer.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.