New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: xkcd

There's a genetic factor involved here, that relates to insulin response from carbs in food.

It comes in your classic one-gene flavor: Low, medium, medium, high. Apparently, it's about 25% for each category in our society (close enough for margin of error, but I've only heard of one study).

For the "low" people, this does not apply. Their insulin levels never go high, or out of control. They generally stay thin no matter what, the "I can eat anything" people. Lots of people will point to these people, and say "Exercise, and you can be like these".

The problem is carb to protein levels in your diet. The human body does not have required carbs, and can live with no carbs -- but it's a "stay in a hospital under doctors observation in case something goes wrong" because it's very easy for something to go wrong. Your body wants more carbs than protein (talking about grams of protein per day here).

There's also "too much protein". Your body can make use of XXX grams of protein per day, for muscle repair/building, and amino acids to repair/build body structure. Your muscles primary job is to be an amino acid reserve; moving the skeleton is job 2. (Then there's the second set of muscles that do things like make your abdominal wall, or the linings of organs that need to contract, etc. -- they are NOT amino acid reserves.)

So if you have a limit of protein intake before your body has to do "hard work" to deal with the excess amino acids that cannot be used or stored as amino acids, then you need the rest of your diet as carbs or fat.

And, if there is an "ideal" intake level here -- 133% carbs to protein (multiple studies here, there is some variation per person, but it doesn't vary much, and probably within the range of 100-150%, if not narrower than that) -- then having very high levels of carbs gives you problems.

This is the issue with a vegetarian diet. To get the protein levels you need, your carb intake is so high that it is excessive for 75% of the population, and causes problems from constant high insulin levels.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    <snip>
    This is genuinely interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm going to have to read it a few more times, mind you, because I got a bit lost somewhere in the middle. Are there any trustworthy sources you could point me to for further reading? (Entry level, or thereabouts, if possible)

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

https://www.xkcd.com/1839/

I think that there's a big problem. "Dissolved bread" doesn't have enough of the needed proteins/amino acids and vitamins

We pretty much need meat to get enough of that. Or, to get it in one source, we need vegi-vita-meata-min.
    Yoush mean [hic] vitameatavegamin?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #154

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This is genuinely interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm going to have to read it a few more times, mind you, because I got a bit lost somewhere in the middle. Are there any trustworthy sources you could point me to for further reading? (Entry level, or thereabouts, if possible)

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    I'll try to find them. I've been reading on these things for a while, and never really saved any sort of bibliology.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I don't really like bread. I eat it to make other people feel happy that they can make me meals.
    Anyway, its a commentary on how the human body can regenerate cells in a way that machines cannot.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

Cut for brevity
    As Grey Wolf said: This is actually interesting.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Drones!
    But really though, I can't remember the last time I saw someone fly a drone without crashing it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

8. - Top - End - #158

BlackDragon

I've only seen drones flown properly, but then, I've only seen professionals fly them.

Dated, but I like this one:
    http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1849

What name do you use to refer to the current decade? We used to talk about the 80's, the 90's, etc -- but the last 17 years?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've only seen drones flown properly, but then, I've only seen professionals fly them.

Dated, but I like this one:
    http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1849

What name do you use to refer to the current decade? We used to talk about the 80's, the 90's, etc -- but the last 17 years?
    The Noughties followed by the 10's.

There doesn't seem to be the same distinction in decades though. The 70's, 80's, and 90's were all wildly different in aesthetic and outlook on life. Aside from the 10's being a bit more focused on political correctness (in a good way), there really hasn't been the same sort of huge cultural shifts that defined previous decades.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

I call them the twothousands, which Im' aware is not ideal.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #161

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I call them the twothousands, which Im' aware is not ideal.
    Same here, I usually use the two-thousands and the twenty-tens on the rare occasion I refer to either as a decade. I've been told the two-thousands are supposed to be the "aughts" or something, but most people wouldn't know what that means, so it's not very useful in conversation.
    Last edited by Tetrimino; 2017-07-20 at 07:32 AM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    Same here, I usually use the two-thousands and the twenty-tens on the rare occasion I refer to either as a decade. I've been told the two-thousands are supposed to be the "aughts" or something, but most people wouldn't know what that means, so it's not very useful in conversation.
    I've heard "the Naughties" used to refer to them on NPR. That's my favorite so far.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's not my fault! That enormous crack in the Earth's crust has nothing to do with any kinetic weapon I may or may not have employed!
    Play your character, not your alignment.

15. - Top - End - #165

BlackDragon

https://xkcd.com/1883/

Now, the super villain's plan is told! Pure evil.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

This supervillain plot is reminiscent of the conclusion of that ancient meme, "The End of the World".

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone go see the Total Eclipse last week? I feel this xkcd is completely acurate:

https://xkcd.com/1880/

It was my first total eclipse, and WOW!
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #168

BlackDragon

The only things worse than time zone problems? Getting an 8-bit character output path that works right.

... After all, 127 plus 1 is a positive character, right? :-)

19. - Top - End - #169

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Anyone go see the Total Eclipse last week? I feel this xkcd is completely acurate:

I wish I had seen the total eclipse. The partial eclipse was cool and all, but it just made the outside slightly dimmer.
    - Douglas Adams

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    I wish I had seen the total eclipse. The partial eclipse was cool and all, but it just made the outside slightly dimmer.
    It was (IMO) well worth the 4-hour drive to see it, and the 6 hour drive to get back home. My family is already planning how to get in the path of the 2024 eclipse.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

I didn't bother, because I live right in the path of totality for 2024. I'm going to be really annoyed if it's overcast that day.

I did make a pinhole projector and tried to take pictures of the partial (about 60% at peak here) eclipse, but it didn't work very well, because my camera refused to autofocus on the projection.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does the lid thing really work for extinguishing an oil fire?

Asking for a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Asking for a friend.
    Removing a source of fresh oxygen from a fire extinguishes it. It's not exclusive to oil fires, if you had a wood fire inside a pan you could extinguish it with a lid. Even a moist towel can sometimes work well enough, but a lid is a generally safe and easy to apply option.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, to extinguish a fire you either need to remove the fuel, the heat or the oxygen (or the chain reaction if you are going tetraheadron). Water absorbs heat and can help keep the fire from getting oxygen by acting as a steam cover. The problem with liquid fires is it is really easy for water being poured in quickly to cause the burning oil to get everywhere (if you ever want an example dump a lot of water from a bucket into a pan that has some non-ignited oil in it.). Similarly, a fire exstinguiser may work but is not recommended due to it being under pressure (if you have to use one do not be right next to the fire).

A lid is generally the easiest way as it can easily suffocate a fire that is stuck in a pan. Just remember to turn off the heat source and move the pan off it or it may reignite when you take the lid off. In the case of a boiling oil spill you can grab another pot or a damp wash cloth and cover the fire with that.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-09-15 at 05:22 AM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Asking for a friend.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly the gun is the most versatile of those tools.

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Clearly the gun is the most versatile of those tools.

It even cures cancer!

Now, if it selectively kills cancer cells in a petri dish, you can be sure it's at least a great breakthrough for everyone suffering from petri dish cancer.
    GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-15 at 08:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Well it did solve 2 problems compared to the 1 the other things solved.

Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

A good mixer can solve a dozen different problems, they're just problems I never have, never create nor wish to solve.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    A good mixer can solve a dozen different problems, they're just problems I never have, never create nor wish to solve.
    I hear a mixer can win in a knife fight and quench an oil fire at the same time.

Show