New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

How many of these problems can be solved by the XKCD Phone 6, VIII, 10, X, 26, or 1876?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

The best thing for putting out an oil fire is more oil. Only the vaporized oil burns, and adding cool oil will bring the average temperature back under boiling. I saw this demonstrated spectacularly at a cookout once, where the deep fryer caught fire, and started spewing a 12 foot column of flame. As everyone else was freaking out, the owner of the fryer just wandered over and threw a splash of cooking oil in. no more fire. The stuff he was frying turned out delicious too.

*do not try this with gasoline, alcohol or liquid oxygen.
    "The error is to be human"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

In response to the gun to a knife fight, has anyone else ever seen the 1967 film El Dorado?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

What I'm getting out of this is that by game theory, it's the optimal strategy to use a gun for everything.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know. I think a lid is not such a terrible thing to bring to a knife fight. I mean, you're not likely to kill the other guy, but you should be able to defend yourself pretty well.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

If I have a large metal shield, I can use it to win the knife fight, to cook something over the wood fire, and as a lid. Three out of four ain't bad.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the key here is that he's not using it as a metal shield- he's using it as a lid. Lids go on top of things, just likes knives stab and cut things, guns shoot things, and water splooshes things.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

I think my favorite part is the little "ow"s as he tries to stab the fires...

As for today... Well, I guess there might be justification for using DOS once in a while but... seriously? I mean, I have seen some places still working with ancient computers but even then, aren't there better options by now? I don't feel like encouraging using old methods "because they work".
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I mean, I have seen some places still working with ancient computers but even then, aren't there better options by now?
    Not necessarily better. And it can be quite expensive to move to a new system. At some point, maintenance of the old one can become prohibitive, but if the system runs solidly, and there are still people that know what it does and how to tweak it, then there is no reason to upgrade to something shiny and new.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-18 at 12:29 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Then encourage old methods because they can be cost effective and less risky. If an old computer works and you have a lot of them then it can be really expensive to replace them all. It just is not worth the time saved and it may even be dangerous to replace them if you have to use new software.

For example, the US air traffic control used to be run by a 40 year old system. When they started replacing it, it took forever and was extremely expensive due to several bugs. The bugs included one where a jet flying too high overloaded the system and one where it randomly switched planes flight paths around. Similarly France used to use Windows 3.1 for its air traffic control (the system broke down once leading to massive problems as they couldn't find any one who could fix such an old computer). The article I read about it said they would have it updated by this year though after that issue occurred.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The computers at Orly Airport in Paris apparently still run on Windows 3.1 (including the then-cutting-edge game of Minesweeper). They were scheduled to be replaced this year, but I can't find any evidence as to whether or not the project happened on time.

Ninja'ed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-09-18 at 12:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Modern computers and modern OS also come with a large number of unwanted features, some of which can and already have introduced massive security holes into systems. Computers that predate the Internet can be a lot harder to hack, as it turns out, because they do not make it easy or automatic to get on the Internet through them.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Modern computers and modern OS also come with a large number of unwanted features, some of which can and already have introduced massive security holes into systems. Computers that predate the Internet can be a lot harder to hack, as it turns out, because they do not make it easy or automatic to get on the Internet through them.

Grey Wolf
    And we also made lightbulbs that last for hundreds of years, at the expense of having them barely function as lightbulbs.

Its not like modern computers need all of these new unwanted features all the time. Its just a matter of getting our collective heads out of our butts enough to actually, you know, make newer computers without them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #194

BlackDragon

The real reason that we don't use neutrino beams to transmit data through stuff is that the same ability to go through walls, planets, etc, also lets it go through receivers.

"I just sent the message. Did you get it?"
    "No, send it again"
    (10 million sends later)
    "Got it."
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Technology is never obsolete so long as it does what the user needs it to do at costs (time, money, financial, maintenance, training, etc) that make sense for the user.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #196

I'm actually right now emulating DOS under Linux. So that I can play all the early-'90s games I have kicking around.

On a 2.8GHz dual-core 64-bit CPU, many DOS games run in emulation better than they did natively on contemporary hardware.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    I'm actually right now emulating DOS under Linux. So that I can play all the early-'90s games I have kicking around.

On a 2.8GHz dual-core 64-bit CPU, many DOS games run in emulation better than they did natively on contemporary hardware.
    Unfortunately, some of those games run too well. I.e. they were counting on only being able to run X instructions per second, and never thought to put in code to slow down the program if the CPU would allow 100X per second.

GW

18. - Top - End - #198
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Unfortunately, some of those games run too well. I.e. they were counting on only being able to run X instructions per second, and never thought to put in code to slow down the program if the CPU would allow 100X per second.

GW
    Which is why DOS emulators, some of them at least, have options to emulate having a much slower CPU.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #199

That was a problem on the original hardware, where a lot of early games were timed for the IBM PC (XT), and were unplayably fast on ATs, or were just designed to run as fast as possible without any notion that that would ever become a problem, but it isn't in emulation. dosbox can throttle the emulated CPU speed.

Ultima II was easier in dosbox than on the 286 I originally played it on, because there's a bit in the critical path to victory (landing the spaceship on Planet X) that was basically instant-death roulette on my 286, but is much more manageable with dosbox throttled down to XT speeds.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post

I've found that games designed in the 90's, or any others designed to be usable with a 16 bit operating system, are difficult to use on a 64 bit OS. I read somewhere that this is because you generally can't run programs more than one "bit level" behind your OS. So 16 bit programs won't work on a 64 bit OS, 8 bit programs won't work an a 32 bit OS, etc.
    Last edited by Tetrimino; 2017-09-20 at 11:22 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

21. - Top - End - #201

BlackDragon

Actually, I am *not* running those old games. They're too addicting, and I'd never get anything done :-)
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Actually, I am *not* running those old games. They're too addicting, and I'd never get anything done :-)
    Mine that iron, gold, and coal. Tote those bags. Train those knights. Attack!

23. - Top - End - #203

There's other issues that can arise besides CPU speed. I've been soothing my nostalgia lately with Ascendancy, an old 4X strategy game, but I've discovered that owning more than 256 planets causes the game to crash if you open your planet list.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    There's other issues that can arise besides CPU speed. I've been soothing my nostalgia lately with Ascendancy, an old 4X strategy game, but I've discovered that owning more than 256 planets causes the game to crash if you open your planet list.
    A kill screen counts as victory. You Win!
    That game is great, especially with the mod that upgrades the AI.
    "The error is to be human"

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    A kill screen counts as victory. You Win!
    That game is great, especially with the mod that upgrades the AI.
    Even with the AI mod (which really just gives them a resource spike and makes them all irrationally hate you), it's hardly anything approaching difficult. Still immense fun though, if you have the patience to try and max out your score by achieving every victory condition simultaneously.

26. - Top - End - #206

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Mine that iron, gold, and coal. Tote those bags. Train those knights. Attack!
    I was thinking of the original XCom, and Magic the Gathering / Shandalar, back in the day of the 5th set, before M:tG went all crazy.

I'm not sure why, but the whole "resource management / turn-based tactics / cycle back over again" thing really got to me, and kept me coming back.

EDIT: In fact, it goes back more than that. On the Amiga, there was a Mech combat game modeled after FASA's stuff, but converted to a real-time model. It was still implemented as turn-based, but you took your turn based on the time of the clock. In the FASA system, if you generated 16 points of heat, and had 10 sinks, you only had 6 points of heat and were still green. Here, you would be up to 1600 temp, and have to shed 1000 degrees before you were back to cool, and that took time.

Turns out that NONE of the FASA designs was a good design in this system. Add in the issue of ammo explosions, and suddenly a ton of machine gun ammo was more dangerous to you to carry than to the enemy you were trying to shoot.

So, add in at least the start of a campaign system into this model, and now you've got the issue of building up a team, dealing with money/resources, going into a fight, healing/recovering/prepping for the next.

It was a *LOT* of fun. Sadly, the developer stopped work, and never released their code.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2017-09-22 at 08:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. Unexpected reference. I always saw F'lar as the Thread zealot.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Hm. Unexpected reference. I always saw F'lar as the Thread zealot.
    Which one tried to visit the red star and came back mostly dead as a result?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Which one tried to visit the red star and came back mostly dead as a result?
    That was F'lar

Mind you, zealot is a pretty strong word for someone opposed to a mindless mankiller.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That was F'lar
    No, that was F'nor and Canth. It's what snapped Brekke out of her fugue after her "accident"
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season