Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #241
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Still the most tear-jerking XKCD in my opinion:

https://xkcd.com/104/
    Also potentially the most horrifying, if you transplant the text into the context of, say, a necromancer villain.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Also potentially the most horrifying, if you transplant the text into the context of, say, a necromancer villain.
    Stealing for a potential campaign idea.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wasn't there that Sidequest in Skyrim?

Spoiler
    Show
    The murders in Windhelm.
    That guy wanted to bring back a loved one too...

Horrifying indeed.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Wasn't there that Sidequest in Skyrim?

Spoiler
    Show
    The murders in Windhelm.
    That guy wanted to bring back a loved one too...

Horrifying indeed.
    Also in:

Spoiler
    Show

Dragon Age 2.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Still the most tear-jerking XKCD in my opinion:

https://xkcd.com/104/
    So who is 104 referring to, if this one makes it clear that we have a 7-year cancer survivor?

Also: "Seven Years", in Ring-Voice, would be ...
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So who is 104 referring to, if this one makes it clear that we have a 7-year cancer survivor?

Also: "Seven Years", in Ring-Voice, would be ...
    That's seven years clear of cancer, however long the disease took to arrive and clear up is additional to that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That's seven years clear of cancer, however long the disease took to arrive and clear up is additional to that.
    Cancer survival rates are measured from date of diagnosis, not from date of "cancer not showing up in the test". The "clear up" time is included in the seven years.

But to be precise, you can't "clear up" cancer. First, because every one of us has cancer cells somewhere in our bodies. Our immune system takes care of them eventually, but a perfectly precise test would always find some. Second, because when a cancer cell isn't killed soon enough and becomes a malignant cancer, there is always the chance that one of the little ****ers managed to escape treatment, and lodged itself somewhere else, and it is now slowly and inexorably growing again somewhere where your immune system can't stop it fast enough. Like with AIDS, the best modern medicine can do is try to ensure you'll die of something else, but at current time, you can never be cured of cancer.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #248
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm surprised he didn't use LAX in today's comic to make a joke about lacrosse.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah! Today's strip fits quite nicely in the category described by the mouse-over text.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Hah! Today's strip fits quite nicely in the category described by the mouse-over text.
    I specially like that the decline in quality predates the "ms paint era", which I can see someone argue the must have been some other, unidentified issue caused the decay, which only thanks to ms paint and powerpoint was it eventually counteracted.

(You know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics? Same applies to graphs)

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #251

BlackDragon

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1948

Yes, this does represent a real-world inbox. Go ahead, ask me how I know.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

12. - Top - End - #252

BlackDragon

https://xkcd.com/1959/

A reminder from The Simpsons of how much time has passed.

And we find out the real reason why none of the characters age: at 11, Bart gets his Hogwarts letter.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

https://xkcd.com/1959/

A reminder from The Simpsons of how much time has passed.

And we find out the real reason why none of the characters age: at 11, Bart gets his Hogwarts letter.
    Am I right in assuming you read xkcd in chunks or why do you reference a two week old comic? :small confused: no offense, just wondering.

Btw, has anyone any idea if what if is down for good? I can't find anything about it.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Btw, has anyone any idea if what if is down for good? I can't find anything about it.
    xkcd is not down for me at the moment.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    xkcd is not down for me at the moment.
    Sorry, I meant to ask whether or not there will be further updates to the "what if" part of xkcd or not. My bad for the poor phrasing.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Firbolg in the Playground

It could be done. On the other hand, webcomics have come back from long breaks before. Monster's Garden, another comic I follow, abruptly stopped updating in October 2016, with no announcement of a hiatus or the end of the comic. There was no word about it for a year and a half, until it unexpectedly returned in February 2018, with a new page and a redesigned website.

The What Ifs have been halted for almost exactly a year now, It's quite possible that it will come back, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was done for good. Or maybe it will be like Shortpacked, where there is one new page per year (Shortpacked officially "ended" in January 2015, but there has been a new April Fools Day page every year since then).

17. - Top - End - #257
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I dunno, I get the impression with the What Ifs that Randall is either bored with the whole idea, or he's discovered that collecting them in book form makes mucho loot and doesn't want to give them out free anymore! I guess time will tell which it is.

18. - Top - End - #258

BlackDragon

Am I right in assuming you read xkcd in chunks or why do you reference a two week old comic? :small confused: no offense, just wondering.
    Why yes, XKCD is one of (several) comics that I read in chunks.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

New comic will be coming soon, and the wait is making me tap the table a lot. Or maybe that’s the Cafine. Sometimes I cant really tell.

20. - Top - End - #260

BlackDragon

Can you imagine the trouble Randall went through trying to arrange those tiles?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Can you imagine the trouble Randall went through trying to arrange those tiles?
    The effort he puts into work that perhaps 10% of his audience will understand, or possibly even read, is always amazing to me.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Taking the risk of looking dumb.. Is there a deeper meaning to Wednesday's comic I'm missing?

Also.. I guess I really should learn more about this tax thing.. Though thinks are slightly easier in Germany. As long as you don't care about saving money.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Taking the risk of looking dumb.. Is there a deeper meaning to Wednesday's comic I'm missing?
    If the basic level is "taxes are different from the other two", then the deeper level is "actually, no they are not". In the end, personal data, the economy and taxes are three poorly understood nebulous concepts that we nevertheless all participate in, whether we want to or not, and ignoring any of the three can have grave consequences. Yes, taxes has a more direct consequence for neglecting it, but not necessarily a worse one than having your identity stolen or (in the US, where they don't get a proper retirement safety net like you do in Germany) risk having no savings or income after your working days are over.

(frogs, jokes, you know the drill)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-03-23 at 07:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If the basic level is "taxes are different from the other two", then the deeper level is "actually, no they are not". In the end, personal data, the economy and taxes are three poorly understood nebulous concepts that we nevertheless all participate in, whether we want to or not, and ignoring any of the three can have grave consequences. Yes, taxes has a more direct consequence for neglecting it, but not necessarily a worse one than having your identity stolen or (in the US, where they don't get a proper retirement safety net like you do in Germany) risk having no savings or income after your working days are over.

(frogs, jokes, you know the drill)

Grey Wolf
    Are taxes really that nebulous? I mean, the finer idea of how much you need to pay and what you can save maybe but... why they are there...? Economy seems most nebulous because it can kind of include everything, if you want..

Also, I was asking about Wednesday, the Domino one..
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #265

Wow, there’s a lot hidden in today’s comic.

26. - Top - End - #266

BlackDragon

https://www.xkcd.com/1975/

This is absolutely hilarious for such a simple single panel image.

27. - Top - End - #267

RSS didn't work well with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #268

I spent way longer than I should have trying to "win" Games/Adventure.EXE. Although I was dissapointed that it still shows up as "exe" even if you got there via /home/usr/games/adventure. What is a Windows executable doing on a Linux system? Especially a text-based adventure game that you probably got by installing it from your default package repository. The answers for 20 Questions were pretty funny though.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

I don't nearly have enough endurance to go through the whole comic, which I admit is a shame but it's funny nonetheless

Sidenote : has anybody an idea why there was no comic for Prof Hawking? I mean, he appeared before and Randall has done multiple comics in memory of recent deaths, so.. I was just wondering. Of course it could have no reason.
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

https://www.xkcd.com/1975/

This is absolutely hilarious for such a simple single panel image.
    Definitely my favorite comic in a while, although I wonder how much of a pain it was to add "Who's on first"
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams