New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Bending the rules (Dnd)

I am about to start a new game session. (Dnd) and the players are in 11 lv. I am playing with the rule: If a player wants to buy a item it must highest cost 4th of their gold. (They have 6200 gp) And one of the players would like to buy the "gloves of dex +4". But they cost 16.000 gp, and the item must highest cost 15.000. Would it be ok to let him buy it? I don't want them to be too powerful and since it will boost his dex with +4 instead of +2, I don't know if i should let him buy it or not.

Maybe it's a little wierd question but still...

Toby
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You never know, when to know that it would be good knowing, that if you didn't know, you would not be knowing at all
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Thanks Calamity for allowing me to adapt Mr. Scuffy He really serves as a good avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Bending the rules (Dnd)

If you do you need to change the rules to that the other players can buy items up to 16,000 gp

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You mean 62 000 gold. That had me confused for a second.

But no, he will not be too powerful if you let him buy a slightly more expensive item. As a rule it's more cost-effective to buy lots of cheaper items than buying a few expensive ones.
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2007-07-17 at 07:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yeah 62.000 gp. My mistake. Well thanks for the replies. Just thought that the fact that it boosted your ability with +4 would make him pretty much better (Of coures it would) But thanks again. I think I well let him buy it then.

Just some note for no use what-so-ever: They are going to face some Fiendish Angels. (Arovals. I call them "Fallen angels)) About 3 of them and I want it to be a tought encounter so I don't want them too be too powerful.

Thanks again, again

Toby
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You never know, when to know that it would be good knowing, that if you didn't know, you would not be knowing at all
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Thanks Calamity for allowing me to adapt Mr. Scuffy He really serves as a good avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Since this is character creation, I'd say you have to be fair and consistent to all players. Therefore, if you allow this player a more expensive item, you must also allow other players to do likewise. I'd suggest simply upping the limit that no single item may cost more than 1/3rd of total wealth (rather than 1/4th).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Since this is character creation, I'd say you have to be fair and consistent to all players. Therefore, if you allow this player a more expensive item, you must also allow other players to do likewise. I'd suggest simply upping the limit that no single item may cost more than 1/3rd of total wealth (rather than 1/4th).
    Right. That would be 20 666 gp. I shall take it into considering

Another note to no use of what so ever: My Dm said that the "Fallen angels" Should be played so I use their abilities as good as I can as often. I got the impression that he meant that it is a tought encounter for them but if so, I really should use them in every way I can. So again. They should not be too powerful. (Sorry )

But thanks for the help (I must be driving you all crazy )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King.Smurf View Post
    (I must be driving you all crazy )
    No, I have a pretty good saving throw against that

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    No, I have a pretty good saving throw against that
    Good to hear
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Let him have the gloves and let the other players buy items up to 16,000 GP magic items if they wish.

The rule is mostly a suggested guideline primarily so the PCs are not each buying a single super magic item of 40,000 to 60,000 GP.