New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Domain Spontenaiety vs Extend spell

Well, for my very very first D&D character I'm playing a Lawful Good cleric of Kelemvor, domains death (for flavor) and traveling. I'm level 2 right now, and my cleric is currently an odd one; he has 17 Dex (don't worry, his Wis is 17 too) and I've decided to make him a mobile, protect-the-wizard cleric wearing light (studded leather) armor and wielding a spiked chain (wierd, I know; I don't think I'll become a tripper either). I'm hoping my role will be that of the party healer and wizard protector.

But should I take Extend Spell or Divine Spontenaiety (Complete Divine feat, lets me spontaneously cast a spell from one of my Domains in exchange for a prepped spell of the same level)? I see the merits of Extend Spell, but at the same time making a buff spell (which I may or may not be using frequently) last two minutes instead of one seems...limited, especially when most D&D encounters are supposed to last only a few rounds (and who knows how much time there will be between each encounter). Meanwhile, I don't know how powerful Divine Spontenaeity will be in the long run.

So which should I pick? Divine spontenaeity or Extend Spell?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2007-07-17 at 03:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Divine Spontenaiety vs Extend spell

If you were actually taking decent domains, domain spontaneity is a good feat.....but you aren't.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard Travel is a pretty good one, though....

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

True. Spontaneous access to Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport is never bad to have. And the Death domain at least has two decent spells, even if they're not ones a Cleric needs very often (Slay Living, Destruction).
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    True. Spontaneous access to Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport is never bad to have. And the Death domain at least has two decent spells, even if they're not ones a Cleric needs very often (Slay Living, Destruction).
    I question the need for spontaneous
    access to fly, dimension door or teleport. Spontaneous access to war or strength, on the other hand......

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Domain Spontenaiety vs Extend spell

I reread the feat entry today, and it turns out that I can spontaneously convert either a prepped spell OR a turning attempt. Since I have crappy Cha anyway, this might help me more than hinder me.