New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Weird class idea

Ok so I had a weird idea for a class for D&D, what if it was some kind of highly specialized wizard savant who only knew one spell, but had a ridiculous amount of spell slots?
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Weird class idea

so basicly warlock with just eldritch blast and no invocations
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3

There are, in fact, two (two? I think it's two) prestige classes that kind of do this, although one is Cleric and I think the other is still not wizard. They give you one spell per spell level, with as many slots as normal, but with typical sped-up progression for 9th-level spellcasting prestige classes.

It can't be much different than one spell per spell level - getting one spell exactly would be either useless or broken with no in between, since spells don't really scale. So you either start with a low-level spell and become useless pretty fast, or start with a high-level spell and wreck the entire game for however long it takes for people to get equally powerful abilities... and then get left behind again if there's still more advancement to go, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Vrock_Summoner; 2016-12-26 at 01:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

well like I was thinking, wizard with 15 slots of whatever spell they choose at their level or something, and maybe they know swords and armor too? And I was thinking too that like, every time the class would gain access to a new spell level, they could swap out their spell forba new one of the appropriate level
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2016-12-26 at 05:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

How do you propose making the class stay fun if all a player can do is 'I cast spell X'?

Either you'll have people sitting around resignedly, or you end up with people picking a highly versatile spell (Summon Monster line, Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange) and not playing too different from a normal wizard.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-12-26 at 06:13 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    How do you propose making the class stay fun if all a player can do is 'I cast spell X'?

Either you'll have people sitting around resignedly, or you end up with people picking a highly versatile spell (Summon Monster line, Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange) and not playing too different from a normal wizard.
    true, maybe like, 2 spells? See, this is slightly inspired by superheroes, who have like 1-3 powers at best most of the time

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheManicMonocle View Post
    true, maybe like, 2 spells? See, this is slightly inspired by superheroes, who have like 1-3 powers at best most of the time
    I think the average superpower is slightly broader than a spell, though.

Heroes like Superman have a ton of powers with no unified theme. To duplicate all that, you'd need at least a dozen spells, probably more.

Even a hero with only a single power, such as 'ice manipulation', still needs multiple spells to be accurately duplicated. There's something needed for turning water into ice, melting ice down, throwing shards of ice, sculpting ice, perhaps some ice monster-summoning...

Really, what's wrong with a warlock with some homebrewed invocations?

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I think you may be looking for a whole other system altogether? Mutants&Masterminds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But you, as DM, have to be prepared for the PCs to do something stupid and self-destructive, because they will. They can't help it. They're like adorable homicidal children with pennies near a light socket, except that the pennies are chainsaws and the light socket is your plot. Also, the chainsaws are on fire.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe a class that can continually create new variations on a theme?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by LokiRagnarok View Post
    I think you may be looking for a whole other system altogether? Mutants&Masterminds?
    maybe, but honestly I don't want to learn another system, sounds like alot of work xD

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

In 3.5, you can come close to this with Silent Image, and go Shadowcraft Mage as early as possible. It's one spell, but will allow a huge number of options.

Alternatively, you'd want a flexible spell, which does different things at different levels.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the Spheres of Power subsystem does something like this. It was designed for Pathfinder, but would work equally well with 3.5.

13. - Top - End - #13

d20 Re: Weird class idea

I've the sudden urge to play a "force missile mage" from DRAGON Magazine #328/DRAGON Compendium.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seconding that your idea is basically just warlock who focuses on eldritch blast. You can play it that way, and still got some variation spells if you feel like it.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I think the average superpower is slightly broader than a spell, though.
    Cyclops. Havok.

But, yeah, this sounds similar to a 3e Warlock. You could even allow him invocations, so long as you limited him to invocations that manipulated the Eldritch Blast.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, you see, I think some spells, like shape water, could be used in a variety of ways. I form an ice wall in front of me! I shoot icicles at him! I grab him with the water and pull him into the river! These
    are all things you can do with one spell (Cantrip) but the variety of things you can do prevents you from just saying "I cast shape water." Personally, I think Cantrips would definitely be more fun to use repeatedly, as they are way more flexible.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What edition of D&D by the way?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    Well, you see, I think some spells, like shape water, could be used in a variety of ways. I form an ice wall in front of me! I shoot icicles at him! I grab him with the water and pull him into the river! These
    are all things you can do with one spell (Cantrip) but the variety of things you can do prevents you from just saying "I cast shape water." Personally, I think Cantrips would definitely be more fun to use repeatedly, as they are way more flexible.
    Shape Water can do only the first, and only if there happens to be five foot-cube of water in front of you.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, eldritch bolt can't do any of the three, and still shape water can do lots of things sorta similar to those.
    Last edited by Freed; 2016-12-28 at 02:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Well, eldritch bolt can't do any of the three, and still shape water can do lots of things sorta similar to those.
    Those 'lots of things sorta similar' are mostly just fluff, though. How often are you in a situation where coloring water helps solving encounters? 80% of the cantrip is useless in any but the most contrived circumstances; creating an entire class around it is a horrible idea.

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #21

Or you could, you know, play Mutant and Mastermind and make a character with "control water" as power.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, sometimes you can make the king think he's been poisoned. And this class we speak can still use weapons.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did that once, two sorcerers who only knew one spell but as they level up the spell magnitude changes.

Higher levels can affect whole cities and epic levels entire kingdoms.

It worked well with silent image not so well with fireball.

But the fireball sorcerer had a blast with it... No pun intended.
    Last edited by Perch; 2016-12-28 at 11:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I call it..."Man with a gun."
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Perch View Post
    I did that once, two sorcerers who only knew one spell but as they level up the spell magnitude changes.

Higher levels can affect whole cities and epic levels entire kingdoms.

It worked well with silent image not so well with fireball.

But the fireball sorcerer had a blast with it... No pun intended.
    I remember someone suggesting a character: sorcerer that only use one spell ever: silent image. Might be related to your character

Now I think of it, that's the perfect suggestion for this, yes.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Well, sometimes you can make the king think he's been poisoned.
    With Shape Water, you mean? I fail to see how changing the water's color is making the king think 'I have been poisoned' as opposed to 'some guy is changing the water's color'.

And this class we speak can still use weapons.
    If your saving argument for a caster, of all things, is 'can still use weapons', something somewhere has gone horribly wrong. The ability to use weapons is no perk, it's a default trait of all characters.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds like you could get the effect you want (sort of) by playing a battle sorc or some other variant, and just picking spells according to a very limited theme (like only fire spells, or only illusions). It's not perfect, but it's covered in the standard mechanics, so you don't have to invent and balance a whole new class.

You can fight, sort of. You can essentially have a single power with some variety (different ways of making illusions, different ways of setting stuff on fire). And because you're charisma based, you might actually be able to pull off that spandex-and-cape look so many super heroes seem to like!
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

There are a number of homebrew classes on TGD that seem similar to what the OP's looking for - single element theme, mostly unlimited use abilities.

This page has a list that includes most of them. Off hand, Energy Mages, Fire Mage, Force Mage, Force Potentate, Snowscaper, Storm Lord, and Time Mage would fit. Also I think there are several more ice themed ones not linked on that page. Power level varies considerably.