New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New York by Night MtA (IC thread)

Despite Bethany's haste, she suddenly has a realization. In her fear, anxiety and panic, Bethany remembered that she hadn't timed herself nor checked on the mini Steve.

Before going any further Bethany will do three things:

1) Bethany will check how much time she has left in her remaining hour from leaving her apartment (does she have a cellphone or wrist watch you suppose?).

2) Bethany will check to see how the Steve is doing inside his bottle

3) Most importantly, Bethany will make an awareness check to determine if any magical residue, like the kind she detected on the scarf, is emanating from the entrance she is facing into the park.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Checking her phone, Bethany isn't sure, but she would guess she has about 20 minutes or so left in the approximate hour the spell should last. Crossing the street, Bethany steps up to the boundary of the park and allows herself to take advantage of her peripheral mage site. While she cannot see or perceive anything directly, Bethany is aware of the smokey smell of magic coming from somewhere deep within the park.

It would be hard, but Bethany could try to track the source of the scent if she so desired.

She opens up her purse and peers into the mason jar. Despite the thick and ridged glass, Bethany can see Steve lying at the bottom of the jar, still unconscious. His clothing appears very tussled though, as if he has been jostled around greatly during the travel.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany knows that with only 20 minutes left she doesn't have much time left.

She ventures into the park, trying to move in directions that are counter to the emanating scent from deep within the park.

Her goal will be to go off the beaten path in the park (assuming that no one really cares if she steps over the path fences and wanders off into the bushes, and to find enough heavy foliage/bushes at the base of a tree that she could deposit Steve from the glass jar and make a hasty retreat.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fortunately with the weather still cold, The Park is not completely full, and New Yorkers are fortunately good at minding their own business. Bethany is able to make her way off the concrete walkway into a wooded area near the pond; although it does take a good ten minutes to get up that far.

Once away from prying eyes, Bethany places the jar down at the base of a tree. The tiny Steve inside stirs, but does not fully wake.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany will attempt to gently pour Steve from the jar onto the soft dirt ground without harming him before getting up and briskly leaving her problems behind her.

If Bethany must make a skills check in order to successfully perform the action of removing steve from the jar without further harming him then she will attempt it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bethany is able to remove Steve from the jar without much difficulty, and gingerly places him on the ground next to the tree. He stirs during the transfer, and almost wakes, but never fully returns to consciousness.

Standing up from her crouch, Bethany quickly scans to make sure no one was watching her, and begins to scurry back towards the fenced wire she had crossed to get into Steve's patch of secluded forest.

As she walks, she can see rising above the sparse tree tops the point of a large dark stone needle. Her eyes lock onto the obelisk, which seems to pulse with energy. The surface of the grey stone is weathered, and even from this distance Bethany can see the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs carved into it. Her eyes stay glued to the powerful stone, even as she climbs back to the paved walkway of Central Park, nearly falling into a passing pedestrian as she does.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany looks around to see if anyone else notices this black stone obelisk rising from the trees.

If others notice it then she will make a run for it to try and grab another taxi cab to get back home. Greater public acknowledgement would mean facing the strange stone would draw unwanted attention to herself and she would serve her cause of staying away from all of this magic mumbo jumbo much better if she just ran away like everyone else.

If she finds that no one else seems to notice the existence of the obelisk, then she will stand her ground and face the incoming artifact of unknown origins. Trying to put all the demons back into the box, ignoring it all and pretending like she wasn't getting pulled into something bigger than her seemed to be turning into a losing battle.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bethany is too far away from the stone structure to be able to tell, as she can only see it cresting from above the tree tops. She will have to get closer

Bethany moves closer to better observe the Obelisk and to see if those around it notice it. She winds her way through circuitous paved and paths, around small grassy fenced off fields, and along an asphalt road, trod primarily by the feeble horses, hauling their wheeled burdens. The stench of horse manure never leaves her nose. As she walks, she is startled by what appears to be a large jungle cat jumping out at her. It takes more than a moment to realize that the threatening figure is no more than a bronze statue, placed strangely at the edge of the path. The cat is frozen in mid-leap, it's claws extended, and it's metal eyes filled with malice. The statue leaves Bethany feeling uneasy, even as she watches it shrink behind her as she continues down the path

Bethany finally arrives near the stone structure, breaking out of the woods into a large, slightly hilly clearing. To the right and up ahead is a large building with window panes taller than a person. The path seems to wind around the building, curving just as it would reach the giant stone needle.

The Needle is maybe about 30ft high, and now that Bethany is closer, she can see that the writing on it is likely Egyptian. The tall, pointed stone continues to pulse with energy, and if Bethany uses her Mage Sight, she can feel something like magic threads vibrating out from the pointed top. The waves of energy seem to bounce like plucked strings at strange intervals, causing the Obelisk to ripple with energy with each vibration.

A pair of older men, dressed in heavy wool coats, and fancy hats stand under the structure. One man smokes a pipe. Bethany can smell the tobacco from where she stands, nearly 50 yards away. The other man seems to be leaning on the Obelisk, as if for support while the two talk.

If Bethany knew anything about New York City, she would know that she is staring at Cleopatra's Needle; one of three Egyptian towers, reconstructed outside their native country, and that the large building is none other than the Metropolitan Museum.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany will find a place to hide, keep her distance and try to listen in on their conversation to learn more about the strangeness of the situation.

If she must make an hiding check to not be spotted or heard then she will make it. If she cannot hear the conversation from a safe distance while still remaining hidden she will cast her spell of transform life to alter her ears to be like bat ears to hear over a larger distance. If this is the case she will roll to successfully complete that transformation.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While there is nowhere clear to hide, Bethany finds a nearby park bench, and sits herself down. The two older men seem to pay her no mind. Pretending to be occupied by the beauties of the park, she attempts to listen in on the two men.

The man with the pipe appears to be complaining to his companion about his wife's Poodle. "It keeps peeing on our bed, and God forbid we try to have sex in our own apartment; the damn thing goes nuts."

The man finishes his pipe, and the two gentleman continue their stroll, passing Bethany as they go. The Needle is now unoccupied.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany decides, after hearing their conversation, that they are of no importance.

She approaches the monolith and touches it.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bethany's hand seems to pass through the stone, though she can feel her hand touching the smoothed rock. There is the sensation like her entire arm is in a huge vacuum cleaner, trying to pull her in, and creates a burning sensation along her skin. Bethany is forced to pull her hands away quickly.

This object clearly had powerful magic, but she wasn't sure what it's purpose was, or how one used it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany swiped her hand gently over her monolith exposed arm in reaction to the burning sensation and cringed. Clearly this was not something to mess with... at least with her base understanding and minimal skill with "magic".

For reasons unknown to Bethany, she HAD to know what this thing was and what it was doing here. Heavens forbid one of her friends unknowingly walk by this place and get sucked into a magic stone. Bethany picks up a rock, looks and checks to see if anyone else is around to notice, and if not she will throw the stone at the monolith to see if it bounces off, gets sucked right in or goes completely through the structure.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The stone bounces harmlessly off the stone. To Bethany's limited perception, there is no disruption of the monolith's aura.

Show
    Bethany has to choose a Magical Aspiration, discovering about the stone can be hers.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

An epiphany just then struck Bethany like a rock to the back of the head.

If anyone would know more about this thing it would be Steven.

Bethany decides to head back to where she left her mini-man and see if he is still there.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bethany rushes back to the wooded area she left Steve. She clears the fence again, this time less worried about anyone watching her, though no one seems to care.

She comes back to the tree she had left him under, but he's not there! There is an area of turned up dirt where he must have laid momentarily. Bethany thinks she can see a few shoe prints heading off in the other direction, but she's not sure.

Show
    Bethany can attempt to track Steve with Wits +Investigation -2. For Bethany this would be 2+3-2=3d10
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-04-01 at 04:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

*I didn't leave Steve in the bottle, remember?*

Bethany will try to track Steve.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Bethany gets two successes

It takes a little bit of time, but Bethany is able to follow the footprints back to the concrete. Fortunately, she is able to follow a series of muddy half-footprints to a small cafe in the middle of The Park. The tracks seem to lead into a men's bathroom. Bethany looks around for a little bit, but is surprised to see Steve eventually come out of the restroom. His clothing is muddy, and he has buttoned his blazer to hide the blood stain on his white button down, where Bethany had previously stabbed him.

Steve's eyes widen in a recognition of partial furry and partial fear. "What happened?" he hisses, "How did I get here, and why did you leave me?"

A few men waiting in line for the bathroom look at the two of you uncomfortably; the man in soiled suit, yelling at the late teenage girl.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany, realizing that commotion could cause trouble for both of them, quickly says.

Look, please, I'll explain everything but I need your help with something. She puts her hands out in front of her with palms wide open, Just meet me outside and we'll talk.

Bethany takes her presence outside and hopefully she can take it to a more secluded place, assuming of course that Steve doesn't "magic" the cafe and everyone inside it into rubble.

Bethany apologizes and acts embarrassed to all who bear witness to the scene as she slips outside. She hopes no phone calls to the cops are made.
    Last edited by beastman1; 2017-04-03 at 01:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Steve's body practically shakes uncontrollably, his face turning a blood flushed hew. The few men in line look on concerned. One even steps forward as if to protect Bethany. Steve shoots him a pointed glance, one eye bulging, halting the stranger's advance.

He turns back to Bethany, eyes narrowed with anger. He uses his right arm to brush caked dirt off of his button down. "Fine", he says as if punched in the gut, "let's talk." Steve motions for Bethany to lead the way, and the two begin walking deeper into the park, neither saying a word.

Once the two are away from any nearby crowds, Steve says "So...". There is still hate smeared all over his voice, but he trails off, giving Bethany an opportunity to speak.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany would have none of it. In that moment, hearing Steve's raised tone drew all of the anger and loss of control l over her life that fed her discontentment.

You came to me! I didn't want you in my life, but you came to me! You don't get to play the victim here!I hurt you, okay? And I'm sorry about that, I really am. But I saved your life too, so you owe me. You're gonna show me the magic that comes from the obelisk in the park and then you're going to stay out of my life! I'm not some scared little girl, and I don't want your world, but I do need some answer for myself, AND YOU ARE GOING TO HELP ME FIGURE IT OUT!

Bethany, still heated from her escalation in energy, pulls out and brandishes the knife she had stabbed Steve accidentally with, as if it held certain taboo power over him.

Got it?!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Steve stumbles back from Bethany's verbal assault. "Okay, okay", he stammers. The look on his face is exactly the same was when Bethany had stabbed him an hour ago. In confusion, he looks over his shoulder and back at Bethany, "The obelisk? You mean Cleopatra's needle? Here in the park? It's a communication beacon... among other things."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

The vulnerability in his face took Bethany by surprise. One moment she was like Charlie Sheen - Winning, and the next she was feeling somewhat guilty over her domineering nature. It scared her a bit to lose control like that and threaten him.

Bethany sheathed the knife back into her pack and stared at the space behind Steve's shoulder, looking through him.

Show me.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Raising his hands up as if to show defeat, Steve says, "I'm really not allowed to do that. I don't have permission. It's use is only permitted by... well by those above me. They keep a tight watch on it. If you tried anything, it would be both our asses."

He takes a slow breath in, then out, and gives Bethany a stern look. "I don't know what your problem is", he says, "but all I did was try to help. You could be in grave danger; your friends too!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany grimaced a bit before returning her gaze to the pathetic looking man before her.

No. That's not good enough- If my friends can wrapped up in all of this then that means I have to take action. I'm never going to let anything happen to people because of my unwillingness to... never mind.

Bethany shook her head slightly with one hand pressed into the side of her face, looking downwards.

You dragged me into this, jerk, and you're going to help me. Just take me to it, do your thing and then leave if you have to. I'll deal with the outcome myself. You owe me that much for saving your life.

Bethany gestured with her hands for them to venture back into the park.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For what it was worth, Steve did look scared of Bethany. He slunk back at her words, his shoulders up by his ears. The man looked beaten and defeated, but defiantly he says, "I dragged you into nothing. If I hadn't have found you, another Mage would have, and there's a good chance they would not have been nearly as forgiving as me. I don't know who you think you are, but this is a city at war. Most of our kind will view you as the enemy if you aren't an ally."

Now Steve's voice was becoming more confident. "And I can't help you", he said with a finger pointed at Bethany, "and now I'm not sure I would, even if I were capable of it." He looks expectantly at Bethany, and after a long pause says, "Fine. If you don't believe me, just look."

Steve first scans the area, and seeing that no one is around, begins to cast a spell. He closes his eyes, and whispers a few muffled words, while his hands switch through a complex series of gestures, that end with Steve sticking out a now glowing finger. He inscribes in the air, a long rectangle, the finger trailing a crackling light. Once the figure is complete, the rectangle seems to glow into focus, revealing a group of pigeons flapping about near the base of the Obelisk.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany stares into the image of the obelisk and then back at the mage.

Well? What does it mean? Are... are those also other weirdos like you, but in bird form? Is it doing its thing right now? What is it doing? What am I looking at? Well?

Bethany awaits some sort of explanation.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"They are sentinels", Steve says with a hint of frustration. "They are spells programmed to guard The Needle."

He leaves it at that, not moving to elaborate on what happens if they are triggered. With a wipe of his hand, the glowing window fizzles away. Crossing his arms over his chest, Steve says with more than a hint of sarcasm, "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bethany's face lights up a bit before turning to a tinge of sour in her eyes and furrowed brow.

You mentioned that my friends might be in danger... if they aren't already. That there are more weirdo's like you and that they're... that they know me or something. Tell me, please, just, how do I keep them- how do I keep all of us out of your "war"?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Steve chuckles once ruefully, "I don't know if you can." He nods his head, his face screwed up for just a moment in regret. Steve sighs once and then says, "First, you should learn to hide what you are better. I mean, I've never seen a Nimbus as strong... or as strange as yours. But if you can't hide it, you will be a beacon to other Mages."