New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default What is the proper way to ask for female players?

I was trying to post on another site to recruit females for my game because there is a significant thematic difference between male and female casters. So I asked for females for thematic reasons, and I was shouted down for being an ass. I would like to see if I could get a female player, but I'm at a loss at the best way to ask for female players without sounding like an ass. Can someone please help with this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: What is the proper way to ask for female players?

What is this signofocant thematic difference?

3. - Top - End - #3

GnomePirate

The thematic difference between male and female casters would seem to indicate you mean the gender of the *characters* which is not necessarily the same as the gender of the *players*.

By and large I don't it would be an issue if you expressed a desire for a party including female characters for story or roleplay reasons. Asking for female players can be troublesome because many people in the gaming community are still pretty sensitive about that kind of thing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I am still lost how either female players or characters would have significant thematic difference between male and female casters. I don't see gender as being signofocant in this regard. So I asked.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stryyke View Post
    I was trying to post on another site to recruit females for my game because there is a significant thematic difference between male and female casters. So I asked for females for thematic reasons, and I was shouted down for being an ass. I would like to see if I could get a female player, but I'm at a loss at the best way to ask for female players without sounding like an ass. Can someone please help with this?
    Asking for female characters is acceptable. Asking for female players is discrimination.
    Skepticism is the first step towards truth.-Denis Didero

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.-Thomas Jefferson

To understand via the heart is not to understand.-Siddhartha Guatama

In the future, I hope to do things such as; go to school, study, make art, start a business, even have my own home and family. But I'm not considered a legal person and cannot yet do these things.-Sophia, sentient android.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

So I've learned :( Is there any way to ask for a female player without offending everyone and their mother?

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomePirate

Its possible he means in the witch/wizard sense as far as common fantasy tropes. Female magic users are much more commonly perceived as evil. Dunno though.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMerecat View Post
    I am still lost how either female players or characters would have significant thematic difference between male and female casters. I don't see gender as being signofocant in this regard. So I asked.
    Are you familiar with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan?

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SeeksForTruth View Post
    Asking for female characters is acceptable. Asking for female players is discrimination.
    It's discrimination to ask for female players? Why?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

What is this signofocant thematic difference?
    Define "signofocant".

It's discrimination to ask for female players? Why?
    What. I mean seriously, how in the Nine Hells would it not be discrimination?

I'm not trying to be offensive in how I phrased that statement, but my brain literally just broke and I don't have the brainpower to focus on politeness anymore.
    Last edited by Sicarius Victis; 2016-12-31 at 09:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

So I've learned :( Is there any way to ask for a female player without offending everyone and their mother?
    Try explaining it, so we understand this significant thematic difference between male and female casters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Are you familiar with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan?
    I am not familiar with it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius Victis View Post
    Define "signofocant".
    I am glad you had something signofocant to contribute.

14. - Top - End - #14

GnomePirate

He mentioned wheel of time so I'm assuming he means a setting in which there are tangible differences in how different genders manifest their magic.

Edit: to elaborate, men and women draw their magical power from different sources in that setting with varied effects and consequences as a result.

The problem is that a female player is not necessary for a game to include a female character. If you want female characters, let people know and whoever is interested in that will let you know regardless of their real world gender.
    Last edited by AnachroNinja; 2016-12-31 at 09:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Try explaining it, so we understand this significant thematic difference between male and female casters.
    In the setting, male casters cannot cast publicly because they grew too powerful and broke the world. Female casters have since become a political force, in addition to tracking down and removing the men's magic. It's kind of a cornerstone in the world, so I thought it would be good to actually have a female, play a female caster.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by AnachroNinja View Post
    He mentioned wheel of time so I'm assuming he means a setting in which there are tangible differences in how different genders manifest their magic.
    I am unfamiliar with this and as such can't really speak to it.

The problem is that a female player is not necessary for a game to include a female character. If you want female characters, let people know and whoever is interested in that will let you know regardless of their real world gender.
    Agreed. Asking for a specific gender of player is questionable to say the least.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Edit: to elaborate, men and women draw their magical power from different sources in that setting with varied effects and consequences as a result.

Well no it's not strictly necessary, but because of the importance of the difference I thought it would be good to have an actual female viewpoint.

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomePirate

And therein lies the issue. While it's not that far out of the ordinary to have a desire for a female player behind a female character in your game, that is considered discriminatory.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

In the setting, male casters cannot cast publicly because they grew too powerful and broke the world. Female casters have since become a political force, in addition to tracking down and removing the men's magic. It's kind of a cornerstone in the world, so I thought it would be good to actually have a female, play a female caster.
    That does not support your request based on "there is a significant thematic difference between male and female casters". That would be characters not players.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Well no it's not strictly necessary, but because of the importance of the difference I thought it would be good to have an actual female viewpoint.
    The problem is there isn;t really a female view point. We are all individuals, not simply our gender.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

And therein lies the issue. While it's not that far out of the ordinary to have a desire for a female player behind a female character in your game, that is considered discriminatory.
    Ok, I'm seriously confused here. Why is it discriminatory to ask a female to play a female caster? I honestly can't see any possible way that can be discriminatory to women.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am glad you had something signofocant to contribute.
    I pride myself on remaining signofocant to whatever situations may occur. And seriously, my comment there was about as significant to this thread as a difference between male and female there should be to a game.

Spoiler: Never mind, I'll define it myself.
    Show
    Signofocant (Adj): Of great signofocance, considered to be highly Post-It-Noteworthy. Ex: Sicarius's comment was highly signofocant to the comment thread.
    Last edited by Sicarius Victis; 2016-12-31 at 10:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomePirate

My understanding is that as a result of the important differences between male and female characters in that setting, and honestly it is a very big deal within that world, he would prefer a genuine female point of view within the party.

That's not a completely unreasonable desire in some ways. The issue is that some people will feel like you may be trying to get a female player for sexist or creepy reasons(not saying that is true in any way) and others may feel that your not being fair to men who may feel they can appropriately play a female character.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

My understanding is that as a result of the important differences between male and female characters in that setting, and honestly it is a very big deal within that world, he would prefer a genuine female point of view within the party.

That's not a completely unreasonable desire in some ways. The issue is that some people will feel like you may be trying to get a female player for sexist or creepy reasons(not saying that is true in any way) and others may feel that your not being fair to men who may feel they can appropriately play a female character.
    Actually it was a group of women who shouted me down.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius Victis View Post
    I pride myself on remaining signofocant to whatever situations may occur. And seriously, my comment there was about as significant to this thread as a difference between male and female there should be to a game.

Spoiler: Never mind, I'll define it myself.
    Show
    Signofocant (Adj): Of great signofocance, considered to be highly Post-It-Noteworthy. Ex: Sicarius's comment was highly signofocant to the comment thread.
    Not to this thread it isn't.

26. - Top - End - #26

GnomePirate

Right, that's not terribly surprising for a variety of reasons.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I'm seriously confused here. Why is it discriminatory to ask a female to play a female caster? I honestly can't see any possible way that can be discriminatory to women.
    Well, when you say "I want female characters, so I'll only allow female players", are you saying that a male player couldn't properly play a female character?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Actually it was a group of women who shouted me down.
    Understandable.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

It has been explained. It does require a female player to play a female character. No one said it was discriminatory towards women.

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Well, when you say "I want female characters, so I'll only allow female players", are you saying that a male player couldn't properly play a female character?
    Not at all. In fact, in the post I said "I'm starting a Wheel of Time game on the 7th. All of the slots were already full, but it would be thematically ideal to have a female player."