Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Need help with a campaign idea

If all goes as planned*, I will be starting a campaign in a homebrewed world in about September-October. I've got the world mostly ready, but I haven't given much thought to the campaign itself. However, yesterday I got an idea. A very vague and clichéed idea, but an idea nonetheless. In order to make the most of it, get some unique angles on it and so on, I thought I'd ask you guys for opinion, ideas and advice on it. So here's the thing:

Thousands of years ago, before the elves rose to power, before man even knew fire, the dragons ruled the world. At some point in the distant past, they trapped an ancient evil deep, deep underground. To bind it in place and make sure it wouldn't escape, they placed obelisk-like runestones, now called Dragonstones, at certain key spots around the world. Now, the BBEG is planning to set the ancient evil free by smashing the Dragonstones. Obviously, the heroes learn of this plan by accident and must find a way to stop him.

That's about all I have for now (and yeah, I did notice the similarities with Xykon and the Snarl - it wasn't where I got the idea though). I need help answering the following questions (and maybe more, feel free to add questions, heh):

#1 What is this ancient evil? A daemon lord? The Tarrasque? A kitten of such infinite cuteness that all who gaze upon it go insane? Something else?
    #2 Who is the BBEG? A mortal wizard? A daemon himself?
    #3 Why would he try to set it free? Wouldn't it do something like eat the world or at least rain fire and brimstone upon it when set free? How does that benefit the BBEG?

*Meaning if I can find a good group in London, where I'm moving for university.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Need help with a campaign idea

Dracoliths would sounds better than Dracostones, IMHO.

As for the monster, hmm..... the Tarrasque is a classic monster for these scenarios. It would fit well.

Demon lords aren't too shabby either. I say it depends on your campaign setting. Do you want to involve demons, or would you prefer something more focused on the material plane?

Same can be said for deciding the race of the wizard.

As for motivation, ransoming the world is a classic motive.

"And I will release the Tarrasque unless you pay me... One million dollars!"
    *Dun dun dun dunada! Dunada!*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

1. Why not simply use a mad god or goddess. Everybody loves mad deities and it would be good because it would require the the players to succeed to stop the BBEG because it can't possibly be done again. The weakening of his bonds could also cause some freaky effects which could become more apparent the further alon the game you progress...
    2. If you go with the mad god idea, simply use an Ur-Priest any kind of psychopathic researcher. Otherwise, a nice twist would be a really old woman or man. See below...
    3. The psychopathic researcher or Ur-Priest could probably think they could control the god, which they obviously can't. However, the old man or woman could be interesting because they're so old they know they'll go senile or infirm any minute (but it's D&D so they're still kick-ass) and they've grown so tired of life they want to go out with a boom. I just realised Pratchett already did that, but i think it would make for a cool game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You could make the thing really anti climatic. A kitten would work good, but it could also be something really stupid that the party has to make a will save to avoid laughing at.

Even better, it turns out that the thing isn't really evil just inconvenient for the elves. The BBEG may or may not know this. Or, perhaps it wasn't evil but now it's so mad at the elves for wronging it, it'll destroy the world if that's what it takes to get revenge.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

5. - Top - End - #5

Go on, release that Tarrasque when the party is around Level 4 or 5 It's always fun when the party has an opponent they have to constantly run from while they get on with their other goals. Think the T-Rex from Jurassic Park, only the party spend their careers gathering the power up to eventually fight it. Just imagine how sweet it will be for them when they finally manage to kill it!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcDee View Post
    Go on, release that Tarrasque when the party is around Level 4 or 5 It's always fun when the party has an opponent they have to constantly run from while they get on with their other goals. Think the T-Rex from Jurassic Park, only the party spend their careers gathering the power up to eventually fight it. Just imagine how sweet it will be for them when they finally manage to kill it!
    This idea actually has a good deal of merit. The Tarrasque is pretty much THE monster for these kinds of things, it's huge, stupid, and it breaks anything that gets in its way. Or eats it. Or both.

Having the Tarrasque running around and creating havoc, if done properly, could make for an exciting campaign.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

7. - Top - End - #7

I like killing angels, so...

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, before the creation of the world there were three or four things, but only two of them were important: the forces of Light and the forces of Darkness. They battled for, well, a crazy long time, and eventually Darkness won. The leader of Light's armies, (let's call him the Metatron) was severely wounded, and most of his Host was destroyed. What was left of his legion took the Metatron's body and fled, creating a sanctuary (warded by the Dragonstones) in which he could recover. The celestial legion created the dragons to maintain the Metatron's hidey-hole while they kept on fighting Evil. It didn't work out the way they had planned. Somewhere along the way, your world accreted around it (that's another paragraph entirely, though).

Anyway, the Metatron is all better now, and ready to jump back into the fight (cleansing, apocalyptic fire at the ready).
    > The dragons should probably have let him out several hundred years ago, but they don't seem interested in doing so.
    > The archons (Metatron's closest followers) are desperately trying to retrieve him, since the great War hasn't been going so well in the last illion millennia.
    > The world would probably be destroyed if something like the Metatron jumped back into the fray; normally, this sort of thing would stay on the Astral Plane (or whatever), but this guy's been growing in power for a very long time. When he's released, all that energy will burst forth in a very definite, world-ending sort of way (like the Positive Energy Plane merging with the Prime Material); after that, Armageddon will happen.

Whoa, really badly-written wall of text. Oops... (I really shouldn't post after five AM.)

EDIT: To summarize...
    1. The incarnation of the forces of Light, and leader of the celestials.
    2. The second-in-command of the celestial legions (some powerful Archon), and his followers.
    3. The forces of Light are being soundly thrashed without their Glorious Leader; the destruction of the Leader's little cocoon-thing (that is, the universe) is unimportant compared to the final victory over Evil.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-07-18 at 04:44 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

8. - Top - End - #8

The great evil could be some philosophy, maybe like freedom. Freedom without wisdom is Chaos. So the dragons may have ruled over the land and hid the very concept of Freedom from their subjects. As it turns out, the BBEG may end up being a liberator.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I think you don't need to decide what's evil is bound.
    Mistery is a good menace for your party.

For the BBEG you can think of an organization, not a single boos but a group, maybe interested in something related to the binding stone (carved from some special material?Placed in strategic places?) maybe even unaware that destroyins (or moving) the binding stone will release the evil.
    You can runa campaign where the party get informations about the release and have to find a way to inform the organization of the consequences of his actions.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Dracoliths would sounds better than Dracostones, IMHO.
    <pedant>
    Draco = Latin, Lith = Greek. Therefore "dracolith" is a contamination.
    </pedant>

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

the organization doesn't even need to know what they're doing, all they need to see is a whole lot of powerful magic thingamebobs lying around from a previous era just crying out for an inventive reuse, the thing they're trapping wasn't recorded (dragons don't write things down) and has been there so long trying to notice it is like trying to notice background radiation (very very powerful but perfectly normal so no-one sees it).

only the Gods/Dragon-overlords/???? are old enough to remember the point of the dragonstones and to act against the BBEG would draw more attention to the problem, what they need are minions. A small group of capable loonies with easily identified means of manipulation (lust for gold, cared for relatives, self-preservation instinct, ?????) to do the dirty work
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    <pedant>
    </pedant>
    Stop oppressing their cultures, you ethnocentric person!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

<pedant>
    </pedant>
    It would be a name existing in a world of fantasy, magic, and dragons. I think a bit of language contamination is allowed. Culture contamination certainly is. Besides if anyone has a question about its derivation, he can say "A wizard did it." Problem solved.
    Last edited by ReluctantDragon; 2007-07-18 at 06:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's just me but I feel the Tarrasque has been underused, especially if it gets released at low levels, so I'd support that. As for the BBEG...wizards and daemon lords, while fun, are also a bit overdone in my opinion. I'd go for something slightly crazier, like some kind of possessed, dangerous berserking warrior who is spoken to by voices who tell him to smash the stones, thus creating an enemy behind the enemy, allowing for an ACTUAL BBEG and then a frontal Almost BBEG who they think is the BBEG. Then he and his crazy cult are running around the world trying to smash all the stones before the heroes can find them.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate Tarrasque. They aren't really evil, more of stupid, and campaigns which have foolish villains end badly.

I back the idea of an evil deity. They work well. I suggest that they are subtly influencing the evil dude - so although he thinks he/she is doing it for him/herself.... a little voice in his/her subconscious is really pulling the strings.

The evil guy should preferably be something like a cleric of the god. This allows him/her to heal him/herself, and still pack religious fervour, happy-fun-death-spells, tough armour - and weapon proficiency!
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Instead of an actual creature, you could make it a barrier between the world and demonic planes. After a long war, the dragons drove most of the infernals back to their own realm and created a barrier.

The BBEG is one of a few demons who got caught on the wrong side of the barrier, and who survived until now. Now that the nature of the barrier has been forgotten, he is working to break the barrier and let his kin back through.

Perhaps he is working from the shadows, with a puppet BBEG who is being influenced to do it, with a different apparent motive - to drain the power of the stones for his own use.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wow. Lots of replies, it seems

@Solo: I think I'll stick with Dragonstones. It's supposed to be what normal people call them, and I suppose that while scholars could use the word 'dracolith', they'd be more likely to use the actual Draconic word for them. I like daemons (meaning 'fiends', I just think deamons sounds better than devils), and I haven't gotten much chance for using them yet (since I haven't DMed anything that lasted past 3rd level). The Tarrasque could be reflavoured as a daemon though, so I'm still not decided.

@Abbott: I like that idea. I'd have to figure out how that interacts with my mythology*, though. Another problem with this idea is that I really dislike the Ur-Priest as written (too easy to take one level of it, then full-divine casting PrC), I'd have to rewrite it.

@Xuincherguixe: Ok, the kitten idea was a joke. I'm not a big fan of silly campaigns. The "really inconvenient for the elves" idea might be workable though, I just can't imagine what would be bad for the elves but not anyone else.

@ChrisMcDee: Interesting idea.

@Inyssius Tor: Wait... that's a lose-lose scenario. Free Mr God, Good wins, but world is destroyed. Don't free him, evil wins, but the world is safe (for now). Might work for an evil party, trying to prevent the angels releasing him but saving the world in the process, becoming heroes. Irony is fun.

@Citizen Joe: Nah, I think I'd rather make it a Dark God or something. No offense though

@B!shop: Well, of course the PCs wouldn't know what exactly they're up against, that's a part of the deal. About the "BBEG doesn't know what he's doing"... That would work, only how hard can it be to show someone the same Ancient Prophecy that the PCs found that tells of the world's destruction if the Dragonstones are destroyed?

@mostlyharmful: Now there's an idea. Maybe the BBEG has no clue what the Dragonstones are for, and after extensive research, finds a way to make them do something villainous (like grant him infinite power or something). Could work with some of the other ideas.

@Saithis Bladewing: Awesome idea (although I like the Tarrasque, which would obviously not be the villain itself, more like the villain's Ultimate Weapon of Ultimate Destruction). Twists are fun, and that sounds like a good twist. This would likely work best with the Dark God version, with the Dark God whispering into the BBEG's head. Or a deamon lord.

@caden_varn: Could work, although the "Gate to the Lower Planes" clichée kinda breaks down when the PC wizard hits 13th level and learns to Plane Shift to the lower planes when desired.

Thanks for the ideas everyone Keep 'em coming!

*Ultra short version: Four elemental gods&goddesses of the heaven/earth/sea/underworld (the old gods), a fifth god (called Ether) later emerged and claimed followers, now is the chief religion in the world, has loads of Saints which are worshipped in place of Ether himself. There are also several minor religions, a culture of dragon-worshipping humans, Half-Giants have a vulture headed daemon/god of their own etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

And why would the dragons not have imprisoned one of their own? Maybe they imprisoned their creator? Are the dragons still actively defending the prison locks? Or are there factions of dragons searching to free the locked one.

(/MyLife: ON)
    I am running a campaign where the dragons are descended from "He who saw the Genesis", and the first dragons of each colour is more or less a demigod...
    (/MyLife: OFF)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    About the "BBEG doesn't know what he's doing"... That would work, only how hard can it be to show someone the same Ancient Prophecy that the PCs found that tells of the world's destruction if the Dragonstones are destroyed?
    If the organization is enemy of the party it's less easy than you think. Also, it's different to tell someone "hey, stop destroying the stones or the world will be destroyed", and be sure the someone believe you :)

By the way, very nice pantheon you made :)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

#1 What is this ancient evil? A daemon lord? The Tarrasque? A kitten of such infinite cuteness that all who gaze upon it go insane? Something else?
    What type of campaign flavor are you going for? If humorous, definitely the kitten. :) For more of a horror feel, leave the "Great Evil" undefined and have different sources describe it in conflicting manners. Just keep the descriptions horrific and emphasize that the world nearly ended before it could be bound.

#3 Why would he try to set it free? Wouldn't it do something like eat the world or at least rain fire and brimstone upon it when set free? How does that benefit the BBEG?
    Along with what type of campaign flavor you're looking for, need to know whether your world is black and white or shades of gray in terms of morality. For a black and white world, maybe a demon possessed wizard is trying to initiate Ragnarok. If things aren't always so clear cut, what other affect did the obelisks have on the world? Maybe the wizard is misguidedly trying to end a side effect while believing the original danger was surely overly exaggerated. Of course it may just be the Goddess of Cuteness trying to free her kitten.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

21. - Top - End - #21

HalfOrcPirate

My suggestion would be to have a non-BBEG BBEG. For example the beloved king of X kingdom suddenly turns evil. Starts slaughtering the weak etc... He starts to wage wars, and he is conquering the kingdoms that contain the dragonstones so that he can destroy them.

But here is the big twist that makes it make sense:
    Spoiler
    Show

The king has been given a gift of some ancient powerful artifact (could be a sword or ring or whatever). This artifact has a higher Ego than your king, and thus takes him over. The artifact is evil and is causing the evil that is now plauging the land.

This artifact contains the soul of some great evil (maybe even the soul of the hidden great evil...) and seeks to end it's eternal confinment in the item by destroying the world (thus it's self and those it feels wronged by).

The real issue is will you PC's go through the trouble of trying to figure out what happened to the king, or will they slay the inoccent and benevolent ruler because they didn't wanna RP enough to find out the real issue.

And if they don't find out, you may wanna send some NPC hero to help them fight the king, so that he can pick up the item before them and thus force them into a second fight (and make them see the error of their non RP ways!).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the deity idea. I mean, they needed a bunch of dragons to lock it up!
    Hmm... I'm gonna snatch the idea...
    Maybe an evil goddess, that tried to take over the world or something. As a BBEG, I could use a bard that found old scriptures and fell in love. I've been waiting to make a bard BBEG for some time now.
    The bard will look for more knowledge, get allies, gather funds. Since he'll not attract attention to himself at first, the bigger groups won't notice it, but the players will stumble into clues from time to time, to finally find out what the heck is going on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And just to be fun: In the last scene, where the players need to stop the ritual to free her, the goddess will have enough power to aid her "lover", by summoning demons or something, and the bard may as well get some template gained through rituals, so he's more of a threat.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm- unfortunately I won't be moving again to London anytime soon - sounds like an interesting campaign...

What about this: the ancient evil is a...time! Maybe imagine this "TIME" being like the Lovecraft Nyalathotep-like monster: beyond human understanding, and affecting time.
    Ages ago, dragons feared that TIME would bring an end to their rule.
    They all used their magic to turn themselves into powerful stones (dragon stones) that bound TIME to the core of the world, which is why since then, time is linear in the world as we humans know it, and history started. The dragons in this way became immortal, but only the hatchlings survived, a shadow of the power of their parents now turned stone. Maybe the dragonstones are sources of great magic (giving power to spellcasters near them) or radiate massive AMF (meaning an almost magic-free world).
    The surviving dragons lived outside of linear time still (explaining their long life) but turned crazy sometimes, destroying themselves (read the Vampire books by Anne Rice to get an impression about long-lived beings getting strangely crazy).

In this case, I'd say the BBEG is one of the last (the last?) dragons who decided that he wanted to free the old dragons power by destroying the stones. He does not care enough about TIME that he/it/she thinks about freeing it twice.

Well, the dragon believes with TIME free it will still be independent of time and be able to escape timeless insanity when everything around it is bound in linear time. Plus, it hopes to get the old dragons' powers.
    Meanwhile, the rest of the world would of course be destroyed in a strange way: with TIME rampant again, there would be no linear time flows anymore, everything would happen simultaneously, maddingly, people would meet their future selves, paradoxia etc: chaos would reign!

Hope that helped.

- Giacomo

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

<pedant>
    </pedant>
    You're right, "Drakolith" would be the equivalent Greek -- but do you really care about the etymological difference between k and hard-c ?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd want to suggest that your ancient evil be an Atropal, but that's ridiculous (then again it never has to be released anyway). I feel that a conjoined twin Atropal (use the multiheaded template) would be a really creepy BBEG.

At first glance, this might not be as cool as a demon lord, but maybe the Almost-BBEG could be a Storm Giant monk or blackguard? That would be awesome. In my own campaign the BBEG is a half-fiend ogre mage warlock/blackguard. (I tend to prefer LE villains).

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

*Meaning if I can find a good group in London, where I'm moving for university.
    1. well i had an idea for an ancient evil for a campaign that died before i could reveal it. basicly this creature is pure evil. it's so powerful it can end the blood war by it'self uniting the infinite hordes of the abyss and the armies of the 9 hells into 1 single unstoppable army. within 2 months of his return the celstial plains would lie in ruin as the new evil army conqured them. within 4 months they would have taken almost all of the outer planes. within 6 months this unstoppable horde would attack the prime material plane. this would give you adventure oppertunites well into epic levels should they fail to stop the destruction of the dragon stones.
    2 & 3. you have several options. it could be the unholy union of a solar and a sucubus who learned of the stones thru ancenit texts. He seeks to release
    the great evil to make the multiverse pay for his tortured exsistence. it couls be a powerful wizard that really has no idea what truley lies sealed within the world but thinks it a source of incredible power and by unlocking it will become all powerful. It could be a ultralolth (those are the big powerful nuetrel evil fiends right?) that is tired of seeing the feindish forces battling each other and wish's to release this power to unite them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

For the Ancient Evil, you could go with a demon lord, but perhaps make the large threat if the demon lord gets released, then the world is marginally pulled into the Abyss and becomes the half-material/half-abyssal realm of the demon lord.

For the BBEG, I like the idea of severely misguided/possessed/insane guy. Perhaps cannibalizing Saithis Bladewing and Worthingson's ideas and have a hero be possessed by the demon lord or perhaps an artifact or something else. Maybe have it so whenever he destroys one of the dragonstones, he becomes even more powerful.

Perhaps the method of release is that when the last stone is destroyed, the demon lord is in full possession of the hero, whose body transforms(or not) to become more demonic/impressive/horrifying. That could lead to a pretty nice Final Showdown at the last of the dragonstones.
    Last edited by Tweekinator; 2007-07-18 at 09:34 AM.
    Generalissimo of the He-Man Bardhaters

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Fellithor View Post
    #Facepalm# I'm gonna cut you, you mocking Bastard.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalfOrcPirate

A kitten of such infinite cuteness that all who gaze upon it go insane?
    Like this?
    Last edited by WorthingSon; 2007-07-18 at 10:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tweekinator View Post
    For the BBEG, I like the idea of severely misguided/possessed/insane guy. Perhaps cannibalizing Saithis Bladewing and Worthingson's ideas and have a hero be possessed by the demon lord or perhaps an artifact or something else. Maybe have it so whenever he destroys one of the dragonstones, he becomes even more powerful.
    I'd agree with that, though we're dipping into Diablo II territory with that one, doesn't make it any worse. It's the kind of plotline I'd use in my games, personally.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis Bladewing View Post
    I'd agree with that, though we're dipping into Diablo II territory with that one, doesn't make it any worse. It's the kind of plotline I'd use in my games, personally.
    Seriously? Well, in my defense, I have never played Diablo II and so am counting it as a really awesome, original idea.
    Generalissimo of the He-Man Bardhaters

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Fellithor View Post
    #Facepalm# I'm gonna cut you, you mocking Bastard.