Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Shadows of Burghafen [OOC]

Welcome to the OOC thread, everyone. IC thread link.

Player Character Speech Color Perception
    Merilan Lunata Croze Purple +10
    Hazuki Asya "Mozzy" Yeltsin Grey +8
    Ceralune Karina Weiss Fuchsia +6
    Segrain Chionia Colorname +6

Behold the one true world info link.

Spoiler: Map of Citopa
    Show

Quick questionnaire for the last bits of pre-game info gathering:

Spoiler: Said Questionnaire
    Show
    1. Simply: Which color will you use for in-game dialogue? (I'll be using bold, so please avoid that)

2. How do you feel about the party composition, with regards to combat? If it's desired, I can have an NPC tag along to fill holes in the party's combat capabilities.

3. What are your thoughts on using a program like Discord for OOC communication? It can be useful to speed up otherwise lengthy question-answer exchanges between the DM and players, or between players, and keep things running smoothly.

4. What would your character be doing around early afternoon, on a market day? Most public spaces will be quite busy, with dozens of merchants in various market squares, selling (and some buying) all kinds of goods.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-01-05 at 03:59 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [OOC]

Hello folks. c: Thanks for choosing me and here's to a great game.

1. Karina would like the color fuchsia. (d6043f)

2. I'm not the best person to ask on party composition, but it seems to me like none of us are particularly heavily armored. And I don't see much healing, other than Karina's (my) extracts. Extracts are good, but we may want to save some of them for buffs.

3. I'm 110% for using Discord.

4. Around early afternoon, Karina would still be in her apothecary, either giving advice to customers or tinkering around in her lab for another couple of hours. She's hoping that some customers might come in who have information about Rugge, but she also doesn't expect such information to just fall in her lap. So after that she'll likely go poking around some of the seedier areas of Burghafen, or drop by to visit acquaintances (past customers, her potions mentor, etc.) to ask for information.

Also... a couple of questions from me.

Because of Karina's personality and how she does her work, there's a chance she'll be disguised when she first meets the PCs, depending on the situation. Is this okay?

@Hazuki & PersonMan, Since both Karina and Mozzy are in the Sworn, is there a chance they knew each other before this campaign's start?
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-01-03 at 07:47 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Hey all!

Will edit the questionnaire later -- like a bad habit, I'll speak in purple.

2. How do you feel about the party composition, with regards to combat? If it's desired, I can have an NPC tag along to fill holes in the party's combat capabilities.
    Just from a brief glance, it seems like we'll probably be mostly wanting for buffs or healing? It seems like we mostly lean towards being mobile, skilled disablers, but with relatively few means of party support. I don't mind if you want to play an NPC.

3. What are your thoughts on using a program like Discord for OOC communication? It can be useful to speed up otherwise lengthy question-answer exchanges between the DM and players, or between players, and keep things running smoothly.
    I'm already on Discord, and Ceralune could certainly just create another channel on the same server!

4. What would your character be doing around early afternoon, on a market day? Most public spaces will be quite busy, with dozens of merchants in various market squares, selling (and some buying) all kinds of goods.
    If this is after the backstory (and her house is burned down), Lunata will be trying to gather information on the Ruggen to plan an angle of infiltration into their headquarters, and possibly looking for other people who are interested in similar goals. If not, she'd probably be tending to the Festina Lente.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2017-01-03 at 06:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll take Grey.

And edit in the questionnaire, because all the cool kids are doing it.

1) I answered this.

2) Well, we don't have a tank. Or a healer. Or an arcane caster. So, triplets?

3) It's okay I guess.

4) You know that montage in Deadpool, where he's killing a bunch of people and asking them where Francis is? Like that, but for Manfried.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-01-03 at 05:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. If we are using colours, I would settle on whatever is this called.
    2. I barely have any idea what half of these classes even do, much less how they all would work together.
    3. My apologies, I have to deal with some technical limitations - but if it is something that would work on a phone, I would try to find a way to use what suits all.
    4. I am not quite certain how long Chionia was in the Empire and Burghafen at this point, but probably not too long. So she most likely would be interested in both the local way of living in general and the recent news and rumours in particular - so "gathering information on the markets" sounds about right.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Segrain View Post
    My apologies, I have to deal with some technical limitations - but if it is something that would work on a phone, I would try to find a way to use what suits all.
    I know there's a Discord App for iOS and Android, if that is helpful.

But yeah, imo I'd only wanna do Discord if everyone is okay with it, so we don't leave anyone out.
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ceralune View Post
    @Hazuki & PersonMan, Since both Karina and Mozzy are in the Sworn, is there a chance they knew each other before this campaign's start?
    I'd be okay with it, although it's ultimately up to PM. Mozzy carries a lot of alchemical items, so there's an easy contact point, if the Sworn wanted them to work together. It could be nice to have one of the party start knowing how to "handle" her.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on how Karina would interact with Mozzy.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    I'd be okay with it, although it's ultimately up to PM. Mozzy carries a lot of alchemical items, so there's an easy contact point, if the Sworn wanted them to work together. It could be nice to have one of the party start knowing how to "handle" her.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on how Karina would interact with Mozzy.
    Not to put words in Bob Johnson's PM's mouth, but I may have mentioned to him previously in a half-joke that they could be best friends if they both got in. And he did not object. :D

Of course, defining their actual relationship isn't as simple as "best friends." Karina is a fairly skilled spy, whereas Mozzy is good at beating things up, so that's another reason they might have worked together on a mission before. I pictured Karina going away for 6 months to Cittasta after her father's death, and so they wouldn't have seen each other in a while. But still recently enough that they remember each other, of course.

I think it would also be good, if everyone else is okay with Karina disguising herself initially, for someone in the party to actually know her identity. Though, once they get to a safer place where they can talk freely, I think Karina would probably confess to them all then.
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-01-03 at 07:13 PM.
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

9. - Top - End - #9

Not to put words in Bob Johnson's PM's mouth, but I may have mentioned to him previously in a half-joke that they could be best friends if they both got in. And he did not object. :D
    Hmm. This actually makes me think of a potential connection - namely, in Mozzy's heritage and Karina's profession as an alchemist*. I feel like there's some crossover in implanting bits of magical creatures in people, and in mixing up bits of magical creatures for people to drink. Karina might even be able to translate some of the medical junk on Isaak's staff.

Also, the fact that Mozzy's planetouched. That would probably be more relevant to an alchemist than just about anybody else. Maybe her eyelashes can be used for water-breathing potions or something.

*I know she's technically an Investigator, but they get Alchemist spellcasting, so it's basically the same thing.

Of course, defining their actual relationship isn't as simple as "best friends." Karina is a fairly skilled spy, whereas Mozzy is good at beating things up, so that's another reason they might have worked together on a mission before. I pictured Karina going away for 6 months to Cittasta after her father's death, and so they wouldn't have seen each other in a while. But still recently enough that they remember each other, of course.
    Well, Mozzy would definitely benefit from having somebody who can gather information. From what I can glean of Karina's backstory, I feel like Mozzy would quickly act protective of Karina if a violent confrontation came up. Part of her whole "I fight so you don't have to" thing.

I think it would also be good, if everyone else is okay with Karina disguising herself initially, for someone in the party to actually know her identity. Though, once they get to a safer place where they can talk freely, I think Karina would probably confess to them all then.
    "I have a confession to make... I know you all thought I was a random stranger, but I'm actually...a different random stranger!"

And yep, I'm fine with Karina disguising herself initially.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmm. This actually makes me think of a potential connection - namely, in Mozzy's heritage and Karina's profession as an alchemist*. I feel like there's some crossover in implanting bits of magical creatures in people, and in mixing up bits of magical creatures for people to drink. Karina might even be able to translate some of the medical junk on Isaak's staff.

Also, the fact that Mozzy's planetouched. That would probably be more relevant to an alchemist than just about anybody else. Maybe her eyelashes can be used for water-breathing potions or something.

*I know she's technically an Investigator, but they get Alchemist spellcasting, so it's basically the same thing.
    Aye... sadly, I did not have room to give Karina the Brew Potion feat. But she can still brew alchemical creations, just not magical potions. So she should still be able to use magical components to create different things. And maybe some of that information will (or has) come in handy as she levels up and discovers new infusions to make.

So yeah, trading information sounds appropriate. No idea what the medical junk on Isaak's staff is, or whether or not Karina can decipher it, but that might be something she can try in-game ("I learned some new things while I was in Cittasta, and I think I can give translating another shot.").

Well, Mozzy would definitely benefit from having somebody who can gather information. From what I can glean of Karina's backstory, I feel like Mozzy would quickly act protective of Karina if a violent confrontation came up. Part of her whole "I fight so you don't have to" thing.
    I think Karina would find Mozzy interesting on two levels: she is rather unusual, being planetouched, so Karina would have some interest in figuring her out. She would also admire Mozzy as a person for her "I fight so you don't have to" thing, since she thinks the world would be a much brighter place if everyone was a little less selfish and a little more willing to stick out their neck for someone else.

"I have a confession to make... I know you all thought I was a random stranger, but I'm actually...a different random stranger!"

And yep, I'm fine with Karina disguising herself initially.
    Pretty much. :D
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Would it have been likely for Lunata to have come to Karina's shop? I imagine Lunata has at least run errands to fetch potions, and she's also a shopkeeper from the same area so I assume they've had at least some passing familiarity even though Karina does not seem to have any need for gunsmithing or repairs.

I'm uncertain if Lunata would have run into Mozzy, possibly through Karina if so? Or perhaps the Festina Lente gunsmithing shop is a curiousity for her due to her fascination of weaponry? They seem like they could get along due to having relatively similar backgrounds if they got to know each other.

Not sure if Lunata would've run into Chionia either -- perhaps at the start of the game as they're both gathering information about their respective tasks.

12. - Top - End - #12

So yeah, trading information sounds appropriate. No idea what the medical junk on Isaak's staff is, or whether or not Karina can decipher it, but that might be something she can try in-game ("I learned some new things while I was in Cittasta, and I think I can give translating another shot.").
    Aye, that's basically left up to GM fiat (On my part), but I've always liked the idea of having a fairly unimportant, long-term goal for characters. Translating Isaak's shorthand will be more an issue of, like, a coder trying to figure out somebody else's code, or particularly bad handwriting.

I think Karina would find Mozzy interesting on two levels: she is rather unusual, being planetouched, so Karina would have some interest in figuring her out. She would also admire Mozzy as a person for her "I fight so you don't have to" thing, since she thinks the world would be a much brighter place if everyone was a little less selfish and a little more willing to stick out their neck for someone else.
    That'd be nice. :3 Although I feel like Mozzy is quite like to annoy her, considering...well, her personality traits are the ones people would find annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    I'm uncertain if Lunata would have run into Mozzy, possibly through Karina if so? Or perhaps the Festina Lente gunsmithing shop is a curiousity for her due to her fascination of weaponry? They seem like they could get along due to having relatively similar backgrounds if they got to know each other.
    Hmm, Mozzy is quite likely to check out a gunsmithing shop, although she wouldn't have made frequent visits. Given both their personalities, I feel like they'd need a catalyst(?) to actually start talking.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, Mozzy is quite likely to check out a gunsmithing shop, although she wouldn't have made frequent visits. Given both their personalities, I feel like they'd need a catalyst(?) to actually start talking.
    Maybe it was Odjn, her foster father, that broke the ice (almost figuratively) for the two relatively quiet and taciturn characters? He'd definitely be interested in trying to get Lunata to befriend at least a couple of people that aren't too far off from her age. Otherwise, maybe they ran into each other when Lunata was fending off a monster or two?

It's totally okay if they don't know each other either, though.

14. - Top - End - #14

Would it have been likely for Lunata to have come to Karina's shop? I imagine Lunata has at least run errands to fetch potions, and she's also a shopkeeper from the same area so I assume they've had at least some passing familiarity even though Karina does not seem to have any need for gunsmithing or repairs.
    I think it's quite possible for Lunata to have visited Karina's shop. Karina is an apothecary, but she still has a solid basis of knowledge for other alchemical pursuits. While she doesn't condone wanton violence and would be hesitant to sell more dangerous creations to the public, Lunata could have stopped by to buy oil or something for gun maintenance.

EDIT: Though, I picture Karina having been back for about a week. So Lunata either stopped by really recently, or quite a long time ago, if she did at all.

That'd be nice. :3 Although I feel like Mozzy is quite like to annoy her, considering...well, her personality traits are the ones people would find annoying.
    What are Mozzy's personality traits exactly, other than brevity? Though Karina is quite tolerant of people's stranger quirks, so long as they aren't really doing harm. She's seen plenty of people who merely act nice, so she knows there's more to a person than how they behave around others.

I'm not seeing many opportunities for a connection between Karina and Chionia. Unless she maybe stopped by to ask about Blood Gems, since Karina dabbles in magic and infusions (though this visit would have proved unfruitful, as Karina does not know anything about Blood Gems).
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-01-03 at 08:23 PM.
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

15. - Top - End - #15

Maybe it was Odjn, her foster father, that broke the ice (almost figuratively) for the two relatively quiet and taciturn characters? He'd definitely be interested in trying to get Lunata to befriend at least a couple of people that aren't too far off from her age. Otherwise, maybe they ran into each other when Lunata was fending off a monster or two?

It's totally okay if they don't know each other either, though.
    Hmm...unless a really good idea for why they'd talk comes up, I think it'd be better done in-game. Mozzy wouldn't stick around at the urging of a stranger, to chat with his daughter, unless he were withholding access to firearms to get it. "No small talk, no assault rifles."

What are Mozzy's personality traits exactly, other than brevity?
    Conciseness.

Basically, she's stubborn, duty-bound, and only knows her manners because they were taught. Her morals are good, but she doesn't express them well, and she'd rather avoid getting attached to people. She has her passions (Weapons trivia), but they don't leave her head or her weapon-diary. Most of this, because of how her childhood (And life since then) was spent. One could probably get through to her with pancakes (Because they were a childhood favorite),b ut that's more serendipitous than something one can organize.

16. - Top - End - #16

Conciseness.

Basically, she's stubborn, duty-bound, and only knows her manners because they were taught. Her morals are good, but she doesn't express them well, and she'd rather avoid getting attached to people. She has her passions (Weapons trivia), but they don't leave her head or her weapon-diary. Most of this, because of how her childhood (And life since then) was spent. One could probably get through to her with pancakes (Because they were a childhood favorite),b ut that's more serendipitous than something one can organize.
    None of those sound like deal-breakers for Karina, so I think they'd get along fine, so long as Mozzy doesn't mind being occasionally regarded like an interesting specimen when Karina gets into "scientist mode."
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

17. - Top - End - #17

As long as Karina doesn't want Mozzy to remove her armor. She keeps that on for bathing, never mind science.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

2. I'm not the best person to ask on party composition, but it seems to me like none of us are particularly heavily armored. And I don't see much healing, other than Karina's (my) extracts. Extracts are good, but we may want to save some of them for buffs.
    Just from a brief glance, it seems like we'll probably be mostly wanting for buffs or healing? It seems like we mostly lean towards being mobile, skilled disablers, but with relatively few means of party support. I don't mind if you want to play an NPC.
    2) Well, we don't have a tank. Or a healer. Or an arcane caster. So, triplets?
    2. I barely have any idea what half of these classes even do, much less how they all would work together.
    So a friendly tanky healer/buffer would be welcome?

On the subject of Discord: I've set up a server; unfortunately I don't know the phone app so I can't give advice specific to it, but once you have that, you should be able to just click the link to open it and be brought into the server just like the app users, Segrain.

On the subject of pre-game character connections: Sounds good so far. As far as the Sworn, Mozzy and Karina are concerned, I was thinking about it as well. Consider it DM-approval-stamp-positive.

---

Additionally, expect a few pieces of info on Burghafen to come in soon. IC may take a bit longer as I set everything up, but will be up by the end of today at the latest.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-01-04 at 11:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Perception: (1d20+6)[16]
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

20. - Top - End - #20

Perception: (1d20+8)[23]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Info for Chionia, as a result of the successful Perception check.

Spoiler
    Show
    The man's face isn't as wrinkled as it should be. For someone as old as he appears, many of the lines around his mouth and eyes should be more prominent.

22. - Top - End - #22

Perception: (1d20+6)[20]
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Sense Motive: (1d20+10)[15]

24. - Top - End - #24

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+7)[12]
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

KArcana: (1d20+7)[12].
    Knowledge (Arcana):
    Do not forget the free usage of inspiration.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Segrain: You can't quote a roll in a post you're rolling, it will just copy the result of that roll and use it as yours.

As a result: please reroll. No quotes this time.

EDIT: Unless you didn't, and you just happened to get the same result. In which case...Woops, my bad.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-01-08 at 07:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

KArcana: [roll0].

Do not forget the free usage of inspiration.
    Ack, you're right, thank you!
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

28. - Top - End - #28

Knowledge (Arcana) 12 + (1d6)[6]
    Current Campaigns:

The Ever-Changing Tide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Player Questionnaire Mk. II
    Show
    • What are your thoughts on downtime? Especially thinking of dips in the action in which intraparty conversation and such can occur without anyone worrying about holding something up or being cut off.
    • Are there any things you think would be interesting to see in the future? I'm keeping it vague, because it could mean anything from "a scene where X/Y happens" to "an NPC with Z outlook", that you think it would be enjoyable to find IC.
    • Similarly, anything you'd prefer to avoid? You can send me a PM about this / tell me via private Discord message if you like.

30. - Top - End - #30

Approve of downtime.

Nothing in particular.

None that you don't already know.