Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 321
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    The weather leaves much to be desired. Despite spring having begun, the sky remains covered in clouds, a constant drizzle coming down onto the city for the third day in a row. Still, despite their hopes for better weather being dashed, most of Burghafen's people are out and about. It is market day, after all, which means various wares on display, protected from the rain by tarps whenever possible. Goods from all corners of Citopa are on display, Vostochnoyan pelts alongside Cittastan jewelry and Isidoran wine, mundane reminders of the Karelische Liga's vast trade empire. The sound of the rain is all but covered up by the constant noise, merchants advertising their wares, parents calling to children, all adding to the din of the city. Here and there one of the unlucky men and women chosen for guard duty stands, their armor cleaned, weapon sharp and expression dour. Those who have just finished, or are soon to begin, their duties are visibly more cheerful, often warmed by drinks from the many taverns near the market squares.

    Another day in Burghafen, unremarkable and perhaps a tad dull, compared to the recent weeks. No war is announced, no news of upheaval comes to the city. Only rain, and the daily crowds streaming through the gates. But not for everyone. Your day isn't unremarkable. Not quite.




    Lunata Kroze

    Things have not been going too well today. The past few days you've made good progress, finding a boy who helped you convince a woman to share what she knew of the Ruggen's activities, but that information hasn't gotten you much further. The best lead you had turned into something useful, but far less than you had hoped - you managed to arrive at a run-down building near the docks just in time to see a dozen men leave, carrying boxes and various small valuables. All of them were armed, and rather than try to tangle with them you took the opportunity to see where they were going. The answer was "three different places, one of which turned out to be a warehouse"; the building they had left was apparently still important enough to guard with three men, and rather than try your luck you withdrew.

    Now you've learned the second location - a ship that left port earlier today. The Meklodka; according to the woman you spoke to, some of the Ruggen were bringing boxes of smuggled goods to the ship. The third location will hopefully be Manfried Rugge's lair, though you've had no luck in finding information on it. Your latest line of questioning brought you to the home of a man said to be an old enemy of the Ruggen, a grizzled old sailor with one ear and little patience. You knocked, waited, knocked again, waited...No one passing you paid much attention, apparently too busy hurrying through the rain to take notice, though one does eventually approach you, as you prepare to knock on the old wood again. He's fairly rude, but after demanding to know why you're standing around knocking on the door he tells you a disheartening fact: the man you're looking for died of an illness, only a few weeks ago.

    With your leads exhausted, you return to the inn. It's only afternoon, but after eating and reconsidering your options, you aren't sure how to continue. It's at this moment that there's a knock at your door. One of the serving girls, who thrusts a messily-rolled-up piece of paper into your hands, explaining that it was delivered by a "nice, strange-looking man in too many clothes". The paper, manhandled as it was and with several wet spots from the rain, bears a rough map of a market square with a small red blotch in one corner, below which is a brief message: 'I apologize if this is somewhat unexpected, but I would like to give you my aid in resolving your feud with a certain Manfried'. Beneath the primitive drawing and message are three letters, which you notice are in a different, less practiced handwriting: M C B

    A question to the inn's owner answers quickly the riddle of what it depicts. The Rolusplatz, he explains, pointing to a large shape on one corner of the map and a malformed square somewhere near the middle as if they were a nametag. The name is familiar, and after he's named it, you realize that the drawing is meant to portray.




    Mozzy Yeltsin

    Burghafen is a large city. It's easy to imagine that you know this better than many who have lived here their entire lives. After all, they don't need to trudge from one end of the city to the other, through rain, every day. You, on the other hand, find yourself going from place to place. The trail you follow began to feel like a web not too long after you found it, leading you to various men at the edges of the city. None of them give you much more than a hint or two, often a name or location that leads to a similar encounter. After quite a bit of work - most of it simply walking through the crowded center of the city to get to the cramped dens of crime on the other side, she finds four talkative thugs in only two days. They paint a picture of Manfried Rugge's latest activities; apparently he's been focused on moving goods into, and later out of, a single small building somewhere near the northeastern docks. One of them claims to have seen Manfried himself go into the building several times, but not in the last few days.

    Only yesterday you were given another interesting detail: according to a man who decided he preferred his neck free of sharp objects, the Ruggen have been busy moving things around. Smuggled goods, going to warehouses, a ship...and one batch apparently directly to Manfried himself, though he was unable to say where exactly this was. The thug you met today was unfortunately less helpful, though he did at least seem to be more loyal than the last. Just outside the newly-vacated shack, you find yourself face to face with a young boy, who holds out a somewhat mangled piece of paper to you. Stammering something about "the coughing man said to give this", he's quite eager to leave and has little more information on the 'coughing man' apart from the fact that he's apparently clad head to toe in old, worn-out clothes.

    The paper, manhandled as it was and with several wet spots from the rain, bears bears a rough map of a market square with a small red blotch in one corner, below which is a brief message: 'I apologize if this is somewhat unexpected, but I would like to give you my aid in resolving your feud with a certain Manfried'. Beneath the primitive drawing and message are three letters, which you notice are in a different, less practiced handwriting: M C B

    It doesn't take long for you to find out, one way or another, where the crudely-drawn map is meant to lead you. The Rolusplatz, you're told very quickly, the easiest place for a Burghafener to recognize.




    Karina Weiss

    It's a surprisingly slow afternoon. After a hectic morning in which three people all asked for the same rare mixture you only had one of. The end result was a great deal, with one man paying almost double the normal price and the other two commissioning their own, but it was still a stressful hour and a half. Since then, you've had a few customers, all luckily much easier to deal with, but no one has come in since lunch. Several times you consider closing up, either to sequester yourself in the lab without having to keep an ear out for customers or to go out and continue your investigation, but each time someone passes by, coming just close enough to entering the shop that you decide to stay open...maybe just a bit longer. It is a market day, after all, and if you got another sale like the one this morning you could probably spend at least a few days closed to focus on other things.

    Eventually, the tedium comes to an end. A curious exchange happens outside, though you can't quite see what, before a young man comes in. He gives you a somewhat embarrassed look, a few awkward pleasantries falling from his lips before he begins to say something of substance. "There was, well, there was a sick-sounding man outside. He...asked me to give you this, I'm not really sure why he didn't do it himself," he explains, before handing over a hastily-folded piece of paper, a single wet spot marking where a raindrop had struck it while it was exposed.

    The paper has little on it, even for its size; it rests easily on your palm when fully unfolded and bears a rough map of a market square with a small red blotch in one corner, below which is a brief message: 'I apologize if this is somewhat unexpected, but I would like to give you my aid in resolving your feud with a certain Manfried'. Beneath the primitive drawing and message are three letters, which you notice are in a different, less practiced handwriting: M C B

    You recognize the location depicted quickly. Anyone would, if they'd grown up in Burghafen, be able to tell it was the Rolusplatz. Even if it looked like it was drawn by someone who still had to grow up.




    Chionia

    The market is loud. Loud, and crowded - often it feels more like you're trying to wade through a fast-flowing river than walking across wet cobblestone. Still, it has proved quite the fruitful venture. Ignoring the chill and the rain, you've managed to learn quite a bit about the state of Burghafen and its people. The war you've heard about is apparently a matter of rebellious subjects, Princes of the Empire refusing to heed their overlord's commands. The city is preparing to send its aid, assembling thousands to march off to the south; though the man who told you seemed insistent on repeating "Unless this rain keeps up, in which case we'll have a bunch of angry First Families and overjoyed barkeeps! Ha!" even after you made it clear that you understood. Another local tells you stories of the square you're in, pointing out the statue rising above the crowd around it, which keeps a respectful few paces away from its edges. Rolus zu Burghafen, apparently a saint in the Istan religion, is the divine patron of the city, protecting its people, even as they journey to all parts of Citopa on their ships. He is also a symbol for the independence of the city from the Church; any questions about how a divine patron represents the secular rule of a city lead nowhere.

    The subject of Rugge is one about which you find little. Few know the name (disregarding the man who is sure he knows it, if you would only give him a few moments to think it over...) and those who do generally grimace, saying little more than that the man is scum of the dangerous sort. It's afternoon when you notice it - someone tracing your steps. It isn't particularly subtle, though you only see it so clearly due to coincidence, but someone covered head to toe in dark, tattered clothes approaches several people after you speak to them. Each time, there's a strained air to the covered one's movements, and they pause frequently to cough. Perhaps twenty minutes after this begins, the figure finally approaches you after an exchange that apparently goes poorly, judging by the shaking head and annoyed expression of the woman being addressed.

    You are silently presented with a carefully folded paper. One painful-sounding cough later, "Come...soon", immediately followed by a fit of coughs and a swift retreat. Apparently, despite the apparent violence in each labored cough, the figure picked the perfect moment to slip away, as following is made impossible by a row of men carrying a large pole through the crowd. Looking at the paper itself, you find it dominated by a beautifully detailed graphite sketch of a wagon, looking large enough to serve as a small dwelling, with a tiny chimney protruding from the top, along with a single sentence, written by what seems to have been a shaking hand: 'Please come to meet, we will discuss Ruggen'. Whether by asking others or looking yourself, finding the wagon the drawing is based is exceptionally easy, as it rests at the edge of the square, out of sight of the majority of the square due to its position behind two similar carts that are both being used as storefronts.




    The rain begins to ease up slightly as you approach the cluster of wagons near the edge of the square. The crowd thins out, and once you maneuver past the wagon houses hosting loud merchants, you find yourself in what feels like the quietest part of the square, the sounds of the market muffled by the wagons behind you. Not much space is left, perhaps ten paces to the wagon that corresponds to the drawing on the odd paper you were given, which sits near the street that separates the market square from a row of buildings.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Just Mozzy

    Mozzy looks over the letter briefly, tucks it into her boot, then heads straight to Karina. If it's relevant to her task, Karina needs to know about it. A few hundred feet away from the apothecary, she takes to the alleys, skulking about and generally attempting to not be seen. She slips in through the back door, thankfully without leaving wet footsteps all over the lab, and listens carefully through the door to the shop. When it becomes clear that nobody else is there, she peeps her head round, knocks on the wood, and gestures for Karina to come to her.

    "Somebody gave me this." Mozzy produces her letter and, once it becomes evident that they were both invited, tucks it away. "We should scout." She says, and turns to leave.

    ~

    When it comes time to scout, Mozzy follows her usual patterns. There's no water available, so she sticks to what she knows - rooftops, shadows, and alcoves. When she has to pass through a crowd,s he shifts her outfit into one that might help her blend in a little more, although the attempt is often futile. Once she's sure of the circumstances, she meets in the agreed-upon spot with Karina, and shares what she's learned.

    "I'll be in the shops. North."
    It's close enough to the wagon that she'll be able to intervene, should things go wrong, and hear just about everything. With their plan of attack organized (Her in the shadows, Karina approaching in disguise), she takes position.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-01-04 at 06:16 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Lunata's stay at the inn had been quite quiet -- she hadn't spoken more than a few words to the innkeeper, and less so everyone else. She had to spend extra to ensure that Elena, the Croze's family horse, had a stable and a roof to stay under for the time being as well. With all of the possible leads to the Ruggen exhausted for now, it had really dawned upon Lunata that she was somewhat exhausted herself and hungry; she sat at the common room and had a meagre meal, preferring simple unleavened bread and dried fruit. She didn't touch any meat, and hadn't in her life -- the Vaalea did not believe in consuming the meat of beasts or fish, for doing so would taint their own souls with blood.

    She blinked when the waitress handed her the note, and stared towards it. M C B ... just who is this person? She had no other leads to go off off, and time was not on her side. She finished her meal, then rose to her feet as she removed the last of the scuff from her boots and headed to the innkeeper.

    "Here..." she slid him an extra gold coin. "... for Elena." A pause. "Feed her well. If I don't return in a week... set her free to the plains."

    She strode out to the stable and placed a hand over her horse's cheek, drawing her head down. "Elena, I must go again," she spoke softly to her companion. "I will find father. You will be cared for here. Run to the winds, if you do not find me."

    She closed her eyes and let herself gaze outward into the horse's spirit, communing with it for a moment. She liked the presence of animal spirits more than she did humanoids -- they were pure, instinctual, unfettered by the burden of knowledge and vices.

    Then the white-haired girl headed off and disappeared into the crowds.




    The Rolusplatz. Now that the innkeeper reminded her, she recalled meeting some clients of her father a year back or thereabouts -- people liked to use it as a landmark for meeting. But everything about this felt suspicious; there was very little reason for others to know, and if they did know, it was because they were watching her in her inquiries over the last 24 hours. So everything pointed to it being a trap as much as a promising lead.

    Lunata climbed over the barrels and over a water drain, leaping over to one of the rooftops and perched herself low. She secured a vantage point for herself, the Reiterpallasch set beside her, locked and loaded. Perhaps she might see a fellow rooftop dweller, or Mozzy might see her in turn?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Impossible...! Karina's eyes widen as they glance over the note, and she looks up to try and ask the young man about the person who sent him on this errand... only to find that he has already flown out the door. Well, that doesn't help matters.

    A cold feeling settles in the pit of her stomach as she begins trying to imagine how this situation could even happen. I don't understand. How would anyone know to send me this? Surely I've been too careful to allow anyone to discover my plans concerning Rugge. Indeed, any investigation concerning Rugge has been done under careful disguise and make-up. Karina's made sure of that, not even taking full advantage of her connections to the impoverished population of the city. While dropping hints to them in the hopes that they would mention something interesting was not the most efficient of methods, it was undoubtedly safer than being too straightforward, especially while wearing her own face. Rugge already had one of the Sworn under his thumb; the less of a trail that Karina leaves for him to trace, the better.

    Thus, no one knows of the true reason she has returned. No one except...

    The Sworn. They know that I'm looking for Rugge, of course, and it's through them that I got back in touch with Mozzy. But they would never give me away.

    So what exactly is going on here?


    It's as Karina is thinking this that she hears a quiet knock, and sees Mozzy there. Now why would she be here at a time like this?

    ~

    A short time later, Karina stands in the Rolusplatz. Heavy cosmetics coat her face, adding light laugh lines and crow's feet, giving her the appearance of a middle-aged woman with narrow eyes, adorned by a pair of spectacles. A powder covers her hair to give it a lighter tone. Though, of course, the downpour would wreak havoc on her hard work, and thus a heavy cloak adorns her shoulders and covers her head, raindrops sliding off harmlessly. For a while, she stays in the crowd, forcing herself to hold back her worry. She seemingly peers at the wares of the merchants and exchanges pleasantries with the guards while keeping the wagon marked on the map visible through her peripheral vision. While she can't see Mozzy, she doesn't need to to know that she is there, hiding somewhere in the shadows, keeping watch should anything go wrong.

    After a while, though, nothing happens. The area around the wagon looks as clear as ever, and Karina finally decides to make a somewhat riskier move. She approaches the three guards in the corner and speaks to them, making her voice an octave deeper than it normally is, with a hint of gravel.

    "Good afternoon, gentlemen." Karina smiles pleasantly, before her eyes become wide with concern. "I hope you don't mind me bothering you. I just heard about an accident that happened earlier this week with one of the shops," she murmurs softly, remembering the Arms store that exploded. Come to think of it, the owner had come in recently, hadn't she? In fact, she had asked about the same criminal as the one Karina was searching for. It was a shame that Karina had to turn her away, claiming she didn't know anything or even who this Rugge character was at all, but she couldn't risk jeopardizing her own safety. Not when she had no information to offer anyways.

    "I was wondering exactly what happened. Is there anything dangerous going on that one should be worried about?" she asks, keeping the wagon in the background of her vision, to see if anyone appears there.
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-01-04 at 07:42 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    The rain kept pouring for yet another day. Greeting like a gentle knock on the window in the morning, obscuring all sights and other sounds during the midday and lulling to sleep in the evening, it erased the sense of time, making hours pass by unnoticed and days feel one like another. Back at home, daily life was properly measured, the routine of exercises and prayers rhythmically flowing to the tune of bells and chants. In this land, she had to be her own belltower and her own abbess, at once a servant and a taskmaster. Maintaining a rigorous schedule turned out to be an interesting challenge in itself, but it was only a distraction from her mission. She was not sent so far away to learn how to handle herself. Her attention should had been given to the world around her.

    Sister Chionia shrugged, throwing off the burden of idle thoughts and returning herself to reality. There was no use to think about home right now. This city was different. Even its weather so far was only a distraction. Unlike violent storms and harsh winters that forged and tempered her character, this drizzle so far only made her endure countless idle conversations. Nodding and smiling to yet another comment about the weather these days, she cast it out of her memory along with brushing one more handful of droplets from her kerchief. Small talk like that was worthless. Stories of religious nature caught her interest better; it was pleasant to see citizens respect their patron, even though she could not quite piece it together just what so worthy of respect had he done. But it was still too little.

    Her own footsteps dissolving in the crowd and the rain, Chionia kept walking, keeping her eyes and ears open. Simply by listening to conversations she had already learned about all sorts of curious things. If only it could be as easy to learn the things themselves, rather than the rumours of their existence. She had to keep her enquiries to a minimum, lest they get too much attention; and any actual answers were just as scarce. Worse, she did not succeed even at staying unnoticed. Somebody was obviously following her for some time now, and Chionia doubted that he only wanted to request a blessing. And even if it was only her garb of myrian monk that earned such recognition, tending to physically ill was not among her ways to serve. Perhaps it was easier - and safer, if need be to make such distinctions - to ask the man himself what he wanted, there and now; and so she took one more turn on the street crossroad without breaking her stride and then waited, letting the man lose her or pass right next to her.

    Instead, he confronted her directly - if oddly. A couple of words, a passed message... and a quick disappearance. How fortuitously convenient for the ill man to escape any attempts at pursuit after making his presence so obvious in the first place. It was too good to be true; somebody wanted her to know that she was watched, and if they could pass her a piece of paper on the crowded street, it was probably no more difficult to pass her a blade in some dark alley. Wondering into what did she get involved and just how much over her head she now was, Chionia studied the note. The drawing was nice - too nice to be made by a coughing man running down the street to chase a young maiden. It had to be prepared in advance, just like - as she was more and more certain - the entire scene was. And it was not designed to make her feel particularly safe or welcome.

    Still, it was an invitation. So far, her questions did her little good; it was somebody else's attention to her that was doing any progress in her work. And if they meant her any harm, she had already considered just how easy they could inflict it. She had to accept; and, a short trip later, she was now approaching a curious scene. Guards around were plentiful enough to make this part of the city appear safe; but the wagon itself had some privacy. There had to be better ways to have a meeting in a trustworthy place; but somebody wanted his privacy more than he wanted her trust. Well, sister Chionia was no fool; she had precautions of her own to take.

    First she circled around the place, consulting her drawn map and eyeing her surroundings with a clear look of a foreigner in an alien city, but at the same time paying attention to any ways in and out. After giving anyone watching enough time to confirm that she was there because of the drawing, she hid it into a pocket and carefully wiped her hands on her own clothes; with damp garments it had to take some time too, which was just enough to check her armour and weapons concealed between the layers. Stretching and flexing her fingers to prepare her body and silently praying to likewise concentrate her mind, she then finally approached the wagon itself, ready to knock on the door.

    Politeness, after all, was the main weapon and virtue for a lone damsel in a foreign land.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Implanting Vanish Arrrow trick into herself - 4/5 daily usages left.
    Last edited by Segrain; 2017-01-28 at 05:05 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    While investigating the wagon, you notice something - fairly subtle symbols worked into the design, repeated often enough and with an identical distance between them that makes it clear that it isn't merely a coincidence. Whether up close, from a rooftop or a few looks from a safe distance, you manage to spot what you can identify as symbols of the Myrrite faith. They aren't hidden all that well, though they are worked into the decoration of the wagon and harder to find for one not trained in recognizing such symbols.

    The wagon has a single window, a look through which reveals the flickering light of a controlled fire and an old-looking man sitting at a table. He seems to be speaking, but his voice is inaudible, and it's impossible to find an angle in which someone else is visible.

    Mozzy

    It's easy to find a place where you can linger, watching the wagon easily from the edge of a tavern and not especially obvious; you're completely out of sight from the visible window on the wagon, and the constant movement of people around the entrance you stand near serves to at least somewhat camouflage you. Once you've positioned yourself, Karina enters the quiet portion of the square's edge as well, hood shielding her disguise from the rain as she approaches the group of guards who were talking amongst themselves. Not far from her, another woman enters the square, her attire one you haven't seen since coming west - the traditional garments of a Sestra of the Order. She seems to examine the wagon for some time, a piece of paper in her hands, before eventually going to the entrance itself.

    Lunata

    The rooftops offer a spectacular view over the market, its stalls and people all visible from your high vantage point. The cathedral's height is perhaps even more prominent from your current position - rising up even as you look down on the square and all doing their business on it. But you aren't here to admire the view, finding a good vantage point to keep both eyes on the wagon and the area around it. The guards are more or less unmoving, apart from the group of three that discuss trivial matters with such energy that you can hear snippets of their conversation where you're positioned. Eventually another figure approaches them, a quick glance showing that it's a middle-aged woman underneath the hood, and not long after you see another woman near the wagon, taking what looks like a piece of paper and examining the wagon. Eventually she approaches the wagon itself...

    Karina

    Your approach goes smoothly, though it is a bother to have to be so vigilant about keeping the rain from your face. Luckily, your experience has given you the tricks of the trade needed to preserve the disguise you so carefully applied, and as you approach the group of guards they don't seem the least bit suspicious. Out of the corner of your eye, the wagon remains in sight, its colorful decoration somewhat out of place in the dreary rain and cobblestones surrounding it. Your question elicits a chuckle from one of the guards, a young man who turns to the woman of the group and shows seven fingers, though she doesn't pay the gesture much attention, merely rolling her eyes and stepping the slightest bit forwards to speak.

    "It's nothing to be worried about. Some men broke into a gunsmith's shop and were fool enough to run around with open flames. Not much left of the guilty parties, so they at least managed to avoid the noose. But it's nothing to worry about, unless you keep a few barrels of black powder with your herring," she says, before the man who chuckled earlier speaks as well.

    "Don't worry ma'am, with me on guard duty you won't need to worry about any hooligans-" he begins, before being immediately cut off by the woman.

    "Oh, stop it. We're supposed to reassure her, not make her fear for her life," she says, giving him a prod with an elbow.

    As the guards continue their exchange, seeming eager to lightheartedly bicker as long as you don't interrupt them, a figure enters your peripheral vision. A woman, dressed in clothes that mark her as obviously foreign, examines the wagon with a paper in her hand before eventually approaching the door, going onto the steps to raise her fist to the wood.

    Chionia

    No one approaches you during your assessment of the wagon and its surroundings, though your attention is briefly grabbed by the sound of a boisterous exchange between several guards speaking to a middle-aged woman nearby. As you step up to the wagon's door, no one greets you and after a few moments you knock. It doesn't take more than a few moments for muffled footsteps to approach, accompanied by a few muffled words, sounding like 'get up' spoken in Laukazodi. As the door's handle turns down, you hear what sounds like someone standing - off the floor, judging by the sounds of boots hitting wood. Finally the door opens, revealing an elderly looking man dressed in bright clothes. His eyebrows are white, and the thin hair he has around the sides of his head is of similar color, a few solitary strands holding a dark brown color. His blue eyes have something of a tired look to them, and you notice that his face appears...strange, somehow. Still, he smiles as he sees you.

    "Good afternoon, miss," he says, Niederteusch accented in a way somewhat similar to your own. "I believe you received a note, yes? My apologies for the delivery, it was the best we could manage given the current state of affairs," he says, before stopping. "Oh, my apologies! I've forgotten my manners in all this excitement. My name is Rikárd Járóka," the man gives a slight bow, before stepping aside, simultaneously offering you entry and revealing the inside of the wagon. It's somewhere between cozy and cramped; at one end a pair of beds dominate, closer to you is a wider portion with a small table and bench carved into the wall, adorned with a window. A large, thick book wrapped in leather and a single thin metal chain lies on the table, as well as a few pieces of paper and an inkwell. Across from the table is a fireplace with a small stack of wood to one side. Several shelves take up the walls between these sections, and the raspy-voiced figure from before stands between the 'living room' section and the beds near the back, shuffling to turn away from you just as the door opens, raising a mug to drink.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    There. As Karina listens to the guards' reassurances with a concerned look plastered on her face, the woman takes out a slip of paper. Ahh... so she's in the same boat we are. Well, perhaps this will let us find out more about our mysterious note-sender.

    Out loud, she lets out a sigh of relief audible enough for the guards to hear, and a small smile replaces her concerned expression. With a slight chuckle, she remarks, "Well, I'll do my best to keep gunpowder away from my house," as though such a thing would never happen in the first place. "Thank you, good day."

    Having excused herself, Karina wanders a little closer to the wagon. You're just a visitor of this fine city, taking in the sights, she tells herself internally. With curious eyes, she takes sweeping glances of her surroundings, giving her a convenient way to look more openly at what's going on at the wagon without looking too focused on it.

    This being the first time she's actually scrutinized the thing, though, she notices something she hadn't before. Myrrite symbols... hmm. Perhaps that says something about the inhabitant? Her budding thought trails off, however, as the woman who is in front of the wagon knocks on the door. Her face betrays no shock when the door opens, but inwardly she is somewhat surprised that a person even answered.

    The man seems friendly enough, though anyone who could have figured out her true goal in coming back here has to be more than meets the eye. Karina dares not get too close, but waits for the door to close so that she can wander closer to a window and hear whatever conversation the two will have.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Mozzy keeps her head low and continues to listen, even as a stranger in Myrrite garb attending a Myrrite wagon catches her interest. There's no easy explanation for both of them being there. The woman must have been invited - else she wouldn't have knocked. But the stranger who invited her couldn't be gathering Myrrites, because Karina isn't one of them. She doesn't know enough to be confident about anything, nor that she'll be able to hear the conversation through the window.

    Karina is already ducking behind it, but she needs to hear, especially if the two people in the wagon start talking Otslovo. She stalks up to the wagon, beneath the window where Karina is, then stands closely and places a hand on the alchemist's waist. She gives her a look, made only moderately creepy by being all-black in the low-light, that says "Gotta be inconspicuous so shhh".

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Karina saunters over to the window. The roof hangs over the edge of the wagon, and she pretends to use it as a reprieve from the rain, leaning gently (and quietly) against the wagon. Mozzy's arrival startles her a bit, and she rolls her eyes a bit and smiles at the look on Mozzy's face, which she'll hopefully interpret as, "Yes, yes, I know what I'm doing." Others hopefully see two women meeting with each other, taking shelter from the rain, and one giving the other a look expressing, "Ohh you, don't startle me like that!"
    Last edited by Ceralune; 2017-01-05 at 02:51 PM.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Those women... were they also invited? Lunata thought to herself as she flattened herself and kept a low profile on the rooftop that she'd chosen for her stakeout. The drizzle continued to pour down over her hood and jacket, thankfully lightly treated to be resistant to water, but she was used to such conditions. The woman in the foreign garb had entered, and two more had moved close to the wagon, though she could not discern their purpose. It was best to lay low and see how the situation played out, at this point.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    The wagon turned out to contain a surprise before she as much as approached it. Of all the things to await for her at this mysterious meeting, myrran symbols were certainly not what Chionia was expecting. It was a reassuring discovery, promising a better welcome than what she could be fearing and explaining how did she attract the inhabitants' attention. Still, was it enough to really trust them? She had to remain careful. Relaxing her posture more for the show than out of true relief, she stopped before the door and knocked, preparing an excuse in case of something going wrong.

    She did not need it. After only a small commotion, hinting at the presence of at least two men and at their origin, she was greeted by another unexpected sight. It could make sense that an old man would stay at home and have somebody younger running his errands, but was it a sufficient reason to have somebody ostensibly ill do it in this weather? Maybe the elder of the two had reasons beyond his age to remain hidden from public eye. He did seem strange, somehow... Still, she was taught to respect her seniors. And she could be polite and wary at the same time.

    "Good afternoon." Chionia waited until the man finished talking before returning the short bow and adding, stepping over the threshold: "And blessing to this... house." She had to pause for a moment, considering the applicability of her choice of words. For a home far away from the homeland, it was not bad - making her wonder just what kind of life were those two living that required a house that has wheels. And, apparently, sending out mysterious invitations to strangers. Speaking of strangers... "My name is Chionia," - she added belatedly, leaning against the wall next to the exit. The name had to suffice alone; it was entirely up to her hosts to decide whether they were going to address her in some more formal manner, and she used her surname so rarely that she did not mind not trying to share it in a foreign language across two accents.

    "Yes, I received your... invitation. Although I have to wonder what made you send it to me - and what is there for us to discuss. You know far more about this than I do, I fear. If you would be so kind to enlighten me?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception: (1d20+6)[21].

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Chionia

    Rikárd closes the door behind you, a brief shiver going through him as the colder outside air comes into the wagon, which is quite warm. Almost uncomfortably so, especially for someone dressed in thick, layered clothing.

    "Feel free to sit down," Rikárd says, as he himself returns to a position at the window, easing onto a cushion on the wooden bank near the book and paper. "The matter is...somewhat complicated," he begins, tapping his fingers against the table as the other inhabitant approaches the table. It's an awkward movement, the wrapped-up figure clearly moving to make sure you can't see what's beneath the hood that remains up despite being out of the rain. Rikárd gives you a slightly apologetic look. "She's quite shy around strangers, please excuse her. As for the reason for your invitation, it requires some additional explanation I would prefer to do later; you see, I've sent out a total of four messages. Ideally, at least one or two of the others will come, and I can give the details then.

    I do not have an exceptionally personal reason to want to see Manfried Rugge be punished for his crimes; his actions have caused misfortune for several people I know, though none have been seriously injured or killed. I have reason to believe he is involved in something dangerous, moreso than simple murder and robbery. A threat to the entire city, and through it a great deal of others. My conscience will not allow me to sit by and watch,"
    the man explains.

    Mozzy and Karina

    Outside the wagon, the rain continues its light pattering on the cobblestones. The guards' conversation grows somewhat less animated, which makes the task of listening to the muffled words from within the wagon that much easier. You can feel, almost as much as hear, the footsteps on the wood, and the man's voice becomes somewhat clearer as he seats himself, head just on the other side of the window. Luckily, both of you are in position to see what Chionia is not able to - the face of the messenger. It's clear why she's working to hide it - several jagged scars cross the dark, almost reddish skin, and strange patterns run across it. Raised skin, almost like something had been slid under it, in the form of braids of chains of some sort, running down from her forehead where raised skin in the shape of a ring rests. Her eyes seem to be missing their irises, consisting only of black and white.

    Due to your clever positioning around the window, none of the wagon's occupants have a chance to notice you, allowing you to continue your listening in peace. Not for too long, however - as the old man reaches the end of his explanation, you spot two of the three guards approaching. The woman and one of the men, the third member of the trio going off in another direction. They head along the street, the woman on the side further towards the buildings, and after a brief exchange of gestures between the two, the man changes his course, heading towards the two of you.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Mozzy spots the guards out of the corner of her eyes and wonders how best to make the pair of them seem inconspicuous. There aren't many excuses for standing tucked away on a rainy day, and if they get too close, there's no doubt that they'll recognize her strange appearance. Combined with snooping, it would at least interrupt their current task. But then, she realizes that there's something that very few people are interested in getting between.

    Before the guard can get close, Mozzy adjusts her hand on Karina's waist and tries to pull her into a kiss.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Lunata frowned quietly as some time passed -- and no particular signs of ambush made itself known. She was still uncertain, but given that her father may very well have limited time, she had to take a risk. There were no other leads she had which she could follow.

    She slipped away from the rooftop and dropped back down lightly onto the barrel she climbed on, and then tucked her hood a little lower over her head. She paced gently towards the wagon, her rifle slung underneath her coat as she didn't want to get it particularly wet. She held out the piece of parchment she had as she approached, glancing towards the other two -- k-kissing women, and glanced away out of politeness, before knocking on the door gently.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Karina manages a quick glimpse inside the wagon, seeing the woman, and barely holds back a flash of sympathy from appearing on her visage. Goodness... what on earth happened to result in that? It must have happened long ago. I certainly wouldn't be able to do anything to help that, if she ever appeared at the apothecary.

    With that, she leans on her back against the wood once more, regarding her surroundings openly, content to listen while Mozzy observes what's going on inside. The man is speaking once more, the man whom she saw open the door. His mention that Rugge has more nefarious plans underway isn't that surprising, and it seems that nothing bad has happened (yet) to the other woman who already went inside, which is good. Though Karina's not yet fully convinced - not when this guy has managed to uncover her own plans a mere week after she returned.

    As the guard starts heading towards them, Karina's about to pull out her formulae book and an excuse about the rain being terrible, just terrible! for parchment, and tuck Mozzy behind her. But it seems that Mozzy has plans of her own, and while the part of her that remains romantic and naive has a few objections to her actions, her brain agrees that it is probably the quickest way to get him off their backs.

    She cooperates with the motion, locking lips with the strange woman whom she has come to consider a friend.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Mozzy and Karina

    The approaching guard stops in his tracks, uttering a brief noise of surprise before being sharply elbowed by the woman. "Give them some privacy, eh?" She says, and he quickly breaks off his approach, joining her on the other side of the street as another cloaked woman crosses, passing the guards seemingly unnoticed. As they pass by, the woman launches into a story of similar experiences, saying 'it takes an expert's eye to avoid that sort of awkwardness' as the two eventually go out of sight, turning towards the market to relieve their comrades.

    As the guards leave, the sound of a soft knock comes from the wagon.

    Lunata

    You pass two guards who are, similarly to yourself, averting their gaze from the public display of affection at the wagon's side. They don't seem to notice you at all, actually, seemingly caught up in a story the woman is weaving about liplocked citizens and awkwardly pacing guards. You reach the door and, with a quick knock, announce your presence. You hear a muffled chuckle, and a few moments later an elderly man opens the door. His eyebrows are white, and the thin hair he has around the sides of his head is of similar color, a few solitary strands holding a dark brown color. His blue eyes have something of a tired look to them, and you notice that his face appears...strange, somehow. Still, he smiles as he sees you.

    "Good afternoon! If you're here because of a strange map on a piece of paper, you're at the right place," the man says, words accented but still easy to understand. "My name is Rikárd Járóka. Feel free to come inside - it's much warmer in here," he continues, stepping to the side to reveal the inside of the house wagon. In the back, a figure covered in tattered, dark robes awkwardly sits on one of the two beds, turned away from the door and tugging a hood over their face. Standing not far inside is another woman - the one you saw enter before.

    Chionia

    Before you can reply, there's a knock at the door. Rikárd chuckles, murmuring something about 'just as I sit down' before standing, going to open the door with a smile. As he moves, the one in tattered robes quickly retreats to the back of the wagon and sits down. Outside stands another young woman, with white hair.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Once she's sure that the guards have left them well alone, Mozzy breaks the (relatively chaste) kiss. "Sorry." She says, flatly, then turns her attention back to processing the goings-on inside the wagon. The fact that they're the missing pair is obvious, assuming the man speaks true. The question, then, is when they should announce their presence with a knock on the door. She give the wagon a once-over and then rests her ear near the window.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    As they break, Karina is about to murmur that it's perfectly fine - until she sees a small smudge of color on Mozzy's lip. She points it out to Mozzy, and then brings her mirror out of her pocket, examining her reflection and realizing that the dull rose color covering her lips has been smudged. Thankfully Mozzy reached for her waist and not her face, or there might have been more damage done. As it is, it's not a big deal if Karina's lips aren't an "older" color. Still had to do something about that smudge though. Rather than make a fuss out of digging cosmetics out of her bag, Karina merely takes out a handkerchief and carefully wipes her lips clean, leaving the surrounding skin still relatively covered.

    With that settled, Karina nudges Mozzy and points to the wagon, pantomiming a knock but raising a skeptical eyebrow, still uncertain as to whether or not they should go in.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Lunata wrung some of the excess moisture away from her clothes, but kept her eyes squarely on the man as he spoke... then nodded as she climbed inside, brushing the wetness from her jacket as she entered. Her eyes scanned the area, more out of habit than suspicion, first laying on the woman she saw earlier, in the foreign clothes, then the dark-cloaked one. "By what means do you know that I seek the Ruggen?" she asked. Her accent would place her as not a native, certainly.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Perception is... (1d20+10)[29]

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Lunata and Chionia

    Rikárd closes the door with a soft 'hmph'. "Straight to the point, I see," he says, sitting down again, one hand resting on the book in front of him. "I wouldn't say I discovered that you were searching for Rugge. That implies that I began with knowing you, and then learned that fact. It's the opposite, actually. Using magic, I searched for a number and series of places, to send messages for those who oppose him," he explains. "I found information on the Ruggen first. Unfortunately, my ability to act on this information is greatly limited by the price I paid for the power I used to acquire it. So then I searched for those who could help me."

    Spoiler: Mozzy and Karina
    Show
    Nothing of note happens outside, and you can still hear the conversation.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Lunata shifted uncomfortably, listening to the man for a moment longer as he explained himself -- before blinking to lower her head. "... I see. I apologise. I am..." A pause, as she glanced aside. "Our shop was burnt down by Rugge's men, and my father is missing. I had to make sure this was not another Ruggen ambush." A pause, as she steeled her voice, tightening the grip on her free hand. "My name is Lunata Croze. If you truly mean to oppose Manfried Rugge, then I would help you."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Mozzy licks the smudged makeup off of her lips and focuses on the woman who's just entered. The fact that a shop was recently burned down isn't news to her, but if it's the one that she knows, that means the girl inside the wagon is related to that particular shopkeep. Before she has a chance to process the fact that many people related to her have been invited to the wagon, and not via the method that most people might be connected to her*, Karina suggests their going in. She holds up three fingers and starts counting down, to make their way around the wagon. They'll get sufficient information by the time they reach the door.

    *Beating the crap out of them.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Despite the invitation to sit, Chionia remained standing where she was. There was no reason to trail water any further into the wagon, and it was warm enough without getting any closer to the fireplace. Besides, she probably should not had been bothering the figure in the back by insisting on approaching her. "Her"? That was what Rikard said, making his guest take another look at his companion. She did not pick any femininity in the voice before, but their encounter was quite brief. And shyness around strangers certainly was a convenient excuse for many oddities... And, apparently, there was not a lot of trust going one or another way between them. It did not help that there were allegedly supposed to be several more guests present - and yet she was the only one so far.

    That last problem, at least, did not persist for long. While Rikard was answering another knock at the door, Chionia, still standing in the corner, took the opportunity to give another look to the unintroduced figure. If she really was that wary of strangers, was it that wise to use her as a messenger? It was a miracle anybody got the notes from her at all. And speaking of the recipients... She turned her head back again just in time to lock eyes with the newcomer. Her manner of dress was strange, but that was to be expected in the main trade port of northern seas; her overall lack of manners had no such excuse. Frowning, Chionia listened to the exchange between the two. What she heard was not particularly relieving.

    "Magic". A single word preemptively dismissing any objections. How did he know how to find them? Magic. How did he even need any help then? More magic. No matter what she could ask, the answer was going to be the same. Rikard arranged this meeting, and he probably planned exactly what he was going to say; prying for anything else right now could be useless. She could as well listen to what he actually wanted to say.

    At least he knew how to make his listeners interested. "Threat to entire city and others" certainly got her attention, and by the sound of it the whitehaired guest had a personal stake in the matter. Chionia only shortly nodded to her, not bothering to interrupt their host with repeated introduction. If he arranged for them to come together, he could deal with the formalities as he saw fit - or simply get to the point. For all the conveniences of alleged magic, the other two were not there - and did he really expect four persons to simply happen to arrive at the same time?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Chionia and Lunata

    Rikárd nods solemnly as Lunata explains her situation. "I'm sorry for your loss; though it may not be obvious, I know the pain of losing a home as well. All the years of work, the happy memories..." he sighs. "But hopefully we can bring down Manfried before he causes more harm," the man continues, his fingers tapping against the book in front of him. "I think it may be time for my to explain in more detail. I hope you won't mind hearing the same things later, once any others arrive.

    My magical ability was minor, until I discovered this book. It describes a technique for better understand magic, as a whole, and for using it oneself. Using this knowledge, I have been able to develop my abilities from minor tricks to...well, to things like this. Finding others, finding powerful forces, and omens of the future. There was a price, though. A price I continue to pay. My body is weakened; it may seem unlikely, but I am actually only forty years old, though I seem to grow older every month. Perhaps even worse, I cannot leave this wagon for more than an hour a day. My spirit has grown and with it I can peer over the entire city, but the threads holding it to my body are weaker than they have ever been before."


    For a few moments, the man is silent. "When I arrived here, I looked over the city and found that I was not alone. Another presence rests in it, and I see omens of a dark future clustered around Manfried Rugge. I fear that if his actions do not end soon, kidnapping and arson will be the least the city has to-"

    Then there's a knock at the door.

    Mozzy and Karina

    It doesn't take long for the door to open, and you come face-to-face with the man whose voice and head you've become acquainted with. He smiles. "Good afternoon, you two," he says, face devoid of the even the slightest shock at Mozzy's appearance. "If you're here because of an odd map, you've come to the right place. My name is Rikárd Járóka. Feel free to come inside - it's much warmer in here," he says, opening the door to allow you two to enter.

    Just as before, he returns to his seat (if the two come inside and the door is closed), though this time he nods to the others.

    "These are the other two recipients. Chionia, and Lunata Croze. In the back is..." the man's voice trails off for a moment, and he shares a look with the cloak-wrapped figure before nodding. "Mask," he says, a hint of a sigh in the word.

    Taking a moment to collect himself, Rikárd proceeds to repeat his explanation to the new arrivals, unless someone objects.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    'Murica
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    At the description of how Rikárd found out about all of them, Karina feels some relief. She hadn't slipped up or given herself away. Though, this gives rise to more questions. Just how much do they know about us? Names? Locations? Did he find out about the apothecary through magic, or simply asking around about a 'Karina Weiss?' Do they know our appearances? Do they simply know that we seek Rugge, or do they even know as much as why?

    She feels her relief slip away further as another thought occurs to her. If this man could find us out through this "magic" simply through our desire to find Rugge, then does that mean that Rugge might possess the means to do the same?

    If that was so, then the situation was far more urgent than Karina had previously thought. It seems that the time for extreme caution has passed. If this is the way things are, we might not even have that luxury anymore.

    The introduction of the woman who just entered stirs Karina out of her reverie, as she realizes that she's heard that voice before, and she knows that name. Well, of course she would be here. Alright. This will be an interesting introduction," she thinks to herself as she raises her hand to the door and gently knocks.

    The man - Rikárd Járóka, as he said - doesn't seem to react to her disguise, which is reassuring. So they don't know everything. She looks around cautiously, searching for any sign of a trap and locating possible exits, but does so while remarking, "Goodness! It's a bit cramped in here," in a surprised, but not ill-intentioned, tone. As though she is merely surprised, not... calculating. Indeed, it is cramped. Which may be an issue if she and Mozzy need to get away. With that in mind, she stays near the door as it closes; it's not as though there is much room for her to move about anyways.

    As introductions are made, Karina smiles pleasantly at everyone. "Good to meet you. So you know our names already? Well, are you planning to make our introductions for us as well?" she asks good-naturedly. Might as well find out just how much he doesn't know. This should tell us whether he knew their names before they told him, or if he just found out. And I can always play it off if it's the latter.

    The repeated explanation is unneeded, but Karina makes no move to interrupt. Going through these motions are necessary, lest they tip Rikárd off about their eavesdropping.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff, if needed: (1d20+9)[18] Using INT in place of CHA since she's technically trying to convince him of something that isn't true.
    Current Campaigns:
    Heights of Londo - Genevieve Neomme - OOC
    Shadows of Burghafen - Karina Weiss - OOC

    DMing: Curse of the Crimson Throne
    The Ever-Changing Tide

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Was that what Lunata felt before? The ebb of his spirit, while not dark like those of the Sielutta, was... brighter, more vibrant. But speaking of the cost that it extracted upon his body made her frown. This was no price to pay for power. Lunata glanced towards the other two that had entered -- the ones that were kissing outside, she'd noted; she bowed her head gently, though not making much more of a gesture.

    "Good... to meet you," she found herself reminded to say, as if thinking of what her father would chide her to do.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    "Hello." Mozzy greets in return, though without matching Karina's smile. She absorbs her new point of view into the wagon and stays tucked up near the door, her lanky form easily fitting into the space. Her eyes shift in the new light, irises contracting to thin slits surrounded by blue, but her mind is elsewhere - on the scars that "Mask" has.

    Spoiler: Profession: Soldier
    Show
    To try to identify Mask's scars.

    (1d20+8)[26]
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-01-06 at 08:04 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Rikárd shakes his head at Karina's question. "Using my sight, I found opposition to Manfried and his plans, as well as the places and times to make contact at. I must admit, as much as it may seem that I am in control, I had no idea of what people I would find coming here. I must admit, it is a pleasant surprise to see that you are all of the reasonable, law-abiding sort. Mask would have informed me if you possessed a nefarious nature, so to some extent you have her approval as well," he says, glancing over to the robed figure who is in the process of picking a pale while mask out of a drawer next to the bed they sit on, still turned away from you all.

    "At least you young ladies will have someone with a bit more experience to help you out," Rikárd says with a nod towards Karina. "As much as youthful enthusiasm can do, if it isn't tempered by wisdom it can cause trouble. Ah, not to say you aren't wise, of course," he continues, waving a hand as if to dispel the potential slight.

    Spoiler: Mozzy
    Show
    The larger scars on her face look like they were caused by shallow, large cuts - the sort of mark left by fighting in exceptionally close quarters. The smaller ones around it are much more common, simple lines showing where a blade of some sort opened her flesh.

    Barely visible was the upper portion of a very unusual scar. Less of a single scar and more of a patch of scarred skin, it resembles marks left by hasty magical healing of gaping, otherwise-fatal wounds. When the injury remains and is only made not entirely lethal by the healing, such large areas of scarred skin can form.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Mozzy bears a small, silent amusement at the law-abiding part of Rikard's words. But has nothing to say.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Shadows of Burghafen [IC]

    Once again, Chionia had to reevaluate her estimation of the situation. Through Rikard's explanation of his magic, its source and its price she was only solemny nodding, her gaze shifting between the man's face and the book in question. It made sense, after all. Nothing could be gained without making its toil and paying its toll. If his soul truly could look over entire city and perform the feats that he described, the burden on his body had to be... Chionia found herself holding her hands raised to her chest in a pose of prayer, her fingers tightly interlocked. And if all that he was saying was true, she indeed could only pray for him. Perhaps she had to believe his visions. Trustworthy or not, the portents were too dire to safely ignore them.

    Relaxing the grip on her own hands, Chionia turned to yet another confirmation of Rikard's abilities coming in the form of almost timely arrival of the so far missing guests. Proper manners were still in order... She only nodded shortly at being introduced, not trusting foreign ears to match the two names to appearances, and said nothing, silently scrutinising the newcomers. She likewise let slide the remark about her age, more interested in the recommendation given to all assembled - especially because those two were not making the best first impression on their own either. She had seen humans and had seen monsters, but somebody with blue skin was a rare sight. And again not keen on introductions. Was it so common in these lands? Chionia's eyes turned expectantly to the older woman, hoping for at least some semblance of normality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •