New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default More help with swordsages

I just recently acquired ToB, and I was looking to give it a try.

I'm looking to build one of the unarmed swordsage variants, somewhere in the ballpark of 4-8th level. I was imagining him as one of those kung-fu-flipping, gravity-defying Tiger Claw builds with the +jumping stance.

Now my question(s): what feats would go well with that sort of character? Would he benefit from a few levels in monk, or even ninja, or would that just be superfluous? For that kind of guy, should I go Tiger Claw all the way, or would other disciplines improve it?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: More help with swordsages

For a Swordsage, Monk and Ninja are usually a bad idea unless you have a very specific requirement that they help you satisfy earlier, and even then you have to think about whether it's worth slowing down your access to more and better maneuvers.

Adaptive Style is almost a must-have for Swordsages because it lets you regain all your expended maneuvers with a single full round action rather than just one per round.

There are too many good things in all the disciplines to limit yourself to just one. Yes, you can concentrate on one that suits your style particularly well, but you should look at what's available in the other disciplines too.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: More help with swordsages

Setting sun, tiger claw, diamond mind, all fit well into the "speed" category. Deserwind could, if you have the manuvers, and shadow hand is nice for the "ninja" aspect. A monk-like character should probably focus on the first 3.