Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    As far as building a strong team goes that would be a good move. Especially in Let's Go because there are relatively little different double types available, there are no abilities and the movepools are rather limited, so six Pokémon that all share a type tend to be pretty similar.

Fire is at a disadvantage against Ground, Water, Rock and Dragon. Assuming fire is staying your main thing with 3 or 4 fire mons in your party the tactical choice is to pick a secondary type with an advantage over as many as those as possible. Grass has an advantage over Ground, Water and Rock, covering most of the fire's weaknesses. And Fire covers several weaknesses of Grass, most notably Ice, Bug and Fire itself (you have more fire types than most people, so you have more choice as to which is the best one for the current matchup). Grass also has the poison type as a common secondary typing. That doesn't give you that much, but it does help against Fighting and Fairy types (Fairy is a thing in Let's Go right?) and other poison types.

Out of the three types you named Water seems like the best option. It is strong against Ground and Rock, it has the largest pool of Pokémon available and there are some interesting double types available, like the water/flying Gyarados (between it and Charizard this almost gives you a three typed team, Fire/Water/Flying) with Dragon-type attacks and the Water/Poison-type Tentacruel. There are certainly worse choices.

But the fun in Pokémon is often to just pick the thing you like and then find a way to make it work. So go for whatever type pleases you, and then be smart about it.

P.S. Only for Let's Go, PoGo has no EVs or AV's at the current time.

If it did I would have the Rhydon to rule them all, with over 500 buddy kilometres and closing in on 500 battles won.
    Ok. That's great to hear.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Troll in the Playground

You know what, I'm just going to do it: Time for...

A GIANTITP POKÉMON SHOWDOWN TOURNAMENT.

This will be a test run as simple as possible. The tournament will follow a single elimination bracket or whatever is the simplest for the number of people that end up entering. Brackets will be assigned randomly by me (I'll use dice).

We're playing the Gen7 OU Singles metagame, because it's the most standard thing that most people will find something to enjoy about.

Ones the tournament starts every contestant will be assigned an opponent and a deadline, which will be around or more than two weeks away, longer if we run into vacation periods. You and your opponent are both responsible for getting the match done before the deadline. If you don't you're both out of the competition unless you can prove your opponent did all the ignoring. You should announce who won and share the replay in this thread. The winner moves on to the next round.

You are free to change your team between matches as much as you like. You are free to study previous replays of your opponent, you are free to use any Pokémon from lower tiers and troll around as much as you want, except where limited by the clauses inherent to the Showdown Gen7 OU Singles metagame or common sense (like your opponent being a 7 year old and you bullying them until they cry and forfeit the match).

Losses caused by technical problems don't count. The match has to be redone using the exact same teams. It is seen as decidedly unsportsmanlike to fake technical problems in order to get a second chance, or to change anything about your team before a rematch. If I find out you did this I will hunt you down and slap you in the face with a wet newspaper. If you have technical problems in more than one match in the tournament I will glare at you super suspectingly.

Sign up by posting in this thread or PM'ing me. The deadline for signing up is Friday March 22nd, two and a half weeks from now. Ones the last places on Earth roll over to Saturday the 23rd signups are closed.

This tournament migrates with the Pokémon thread. Ones we hit 50 pages and Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield and Spoilers (or such) is opened results and matchups will be posted in there. If that becomes unmanageable because of a large number of competitors making us drown out all the other talk in these threads we will migrate to a separate thread in the Message Board Games section instead. I will make an announcement of it when that happens.

Good luck, happy preparation, and may you be the very best, like no one ever was.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-03-03 at 04:53 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sword, Shield, and Spoilers gets my vote for next thread title.
    And of course count me in for a tourney!
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Banned

Planetar

Count me in, although I can't guarantee my available due to Financial Year End.

5. - Top - End - #1445

DrowGuy

Oooh my very first Pokemon tourney ever. I'm game.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

If I'm around I'm open to participating, I haven't used Showdown in a while but it might be fun to try Gen 7 OU.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

7. - Top - End - #1447

DrowGuy

*Transforming in Grandpa Bartmanhomer*

Back in my day when Generation 1 exists, there was no Steel, Dark and Fairy Types Pokemon, there was no abilities and items attached to the Pokemon there was used in battle. My how things changed nowadays.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

Pokemon Showdown is an app I can use to build teams without training them, right? I don't have time to grind a team from scratch in Sun/Moon but a friendly battle in the app could be fun. I'll look into it more later.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    *Transforming in Grandpa Bartmanhomer*

Back in my day when Generation 1 exists, there was no Steel, Dark and Fairy Types Pokemon, there was no abilities and items attached to the Pokemon there was used in battle. My how things changed nowadays.
    It has been a major improvement, correct.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Pokemon Showdown is an app I can use to build teams without training them, right? I don't have time to grind a team from scratch in Sun/Moon but a friendly battle in the app could be fun. I'll look into it more later.
    I think there is a mobile app, however you can also run it from most browsers.

You do not have to train the Pokemon, and it can verify that the set you give it would be legal for the rule set its made for.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

11. - Top - End - #1451

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    It has been a major improvement, correct.
    Indeed it has improve a lot.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Banned

Planetar

Then why do you only play Gen1? It has the most static meta, the least flexibility, and some ridiculous mechanics.

13. - Top - End - #1453

DrowGuy

Then why do you only play Gen1? It has the most static meta, the least flexibility, and some ridiculous mechanics.
    I just enjoy old fashioned games.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Then why do you only play Gen1?
    He doesn't. He plays Let's Go, which has modern crit mechanics, steel-type (for Magnemite and Magneton) a lot of cumulative bug-fixes, and one thing that's an improvement (IMO) over even the rest of Gen 7: poison reducing Special Attack to mirror burn's Attack reduction. In case you can't tell, my stance of "Let's Go sucks and Pokemon will never be good again" has been softened significantly with the announcement-trailer for Sword and Shield.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-03-09 at 12:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    I think there is a mobile app, however you can also run it from most browsers.

You do not have to train the Pokemon, and it can verify that the set you give it would be legal for the rule set its made for.
    Not to mention the PC executable.

You indeed don't have to train up the Pokémon. Given that properly chain-breeding and EV-training a single Pokémon takes hours and sometimes you just want to try out whether a triples team using only water absorb Pokémon would in fact be as funny as it sounds it's a great help in learning battling and having fun with it.

There are some additional rules, as all the metagames are run by Smogon, people who take Pokémon almost notoriously serious. You can't put more than one of your opponents Pokémon to sleep, there are rules on moves that reduce accuracy, and their are tiers of Pokémon to make them face off against their own power level, stuff like that. That said, most of their clauses do indeed create a more balanced and fun environment. And the team builder checks for compliance and tells you which clauses you're currently breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    and one thing that's an improvement (IMO) over even the rest of Gen 7: poison reducing Special Attack to mirror burn's Attack reduction.
    That's a thing? I didn't know that. I can't even find it on Bulbapedia.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    He doesn't. He plays Let's Go, which has modern crit mechanics, steel-type (for Magnemite and Magneton) a lot of cumulative bug-fixes, and one thing that's an improvement (IMO) over even the rest of Gen 7: poison reducing Special Attack to mirror burn's Attack reduction.
    Poison does that? I've not seen that referenced anywhere.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

Serebii says nothing about poison lowering special attack, and it knows everything there is to know about Pokémon.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Troll in the Playground

Oh. Maybe that was just speculation on Youtube that fermented in my brain into "thing that's true."
    Show
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

Explanation here.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ettin in the Playground

*checks thread* not a single Scottish trainer joke?

Spoiler: My favorite so far
    Show
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Well we all know No True Scottish Trainer does any of that. True Scottish trainers are like me: pick Scorbunny, use exp-share but in a tough way, gather badges because you have to progress, give rare candies only when the pokemon's proved themselves, use Z-moves instead, and use quick ball for everything as soon you get it, because why waste me time?
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Banned

Planetar

I'm just waiting for the generic object pokemon to be a poison bottle of Buckfast.

'wha dye meen its no brake fest whine, hee?'

22. - Top - End - #1462

DrowGuy

I'm thinking of creating A Mono Dragon Type with a few dragon-like type Pokemon in Let's Go. Also I made a Mono Fire Type Team for the Pokemon Gen 7 OU Tournamemt.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-03-12 at 08:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1463

Is it sad that the most exciting PoGo thing I've done lately is found two weather boosted Bagon on the way home from work last night?

Been walking with this little dude forever, he needs to contract candy diarrhea or something.

Of course it would also help if windy weather caused dragons to appear more often instead of just Natu and Drowzee.

Dragon badge is the only type badge I havnt maxed out.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-03-14 at 08:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1464

DrowGuy

I can't wait for the GITP Pokemon Tournament. This will be my very first Pokemon tournament ever.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I have only ever played Teams (more fun when you get a friend along!) and we ran a Mono Steel/Mono Flying. I'm excited for this!

26. - Top - End - #1466

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post
    I have only ever played Teams (more fun when you get a friend along!) and we ran a Mono Steel/Mono Flying. I'm excited for this!
    Me too. I'm using the same Pokemon Team from Let's Go for a few differences in Stats.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

Explanation here.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe I did put the sign up deadline a little far off. Anyway, reminder: the signups for the Giantitp Showdown tournament close a week from now. Full rules over here.

Currently signed up (apologies if I missed someone):

boj0
    Kadesh
    Bartmanhomer
    tgva8889
    Rynjin (if they like Showdown)
    Karnitis
    Lvl 2 Expert

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

Count me in.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

30. - Top - End - #1470

DrowGuy

I'm going to keep my Pokemon team. (Win or lose)