New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    They're almost certain to keep Pokemon Bank up and running for the new generation, Nintendo has done some dumb things in regard to online play, but there's no way they're THAT dumb, is there?

I mean, what's the point of it if i can't keep expanding my Living Pokedex for eternity.
    Pokemon Bank is safe as long as they charge money on it...but it might be a good idea to do any gen 6 GTS trades you want to make sooner then later.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Banned

Planetar

What uncreativity? They've been pretty creative all the way through, and I'm unsure as to how Diglett, Dugtrio, Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Ditto, Goedude, etc any more creative than the supposedly uncreative mons you're about to suggest.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    What uncreativity? They've been pretty creative all the way through, and I'm unsure as to how Diglett, Dugtrio, Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Ditto, Goedude, etc any more creative than the supposedly uncreative mons you're about to suggest.
    All the Pokemon that you mention are uncreative. However there are some Pokemon that very creative such as Mewtwo and Mew.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    All the Pokemon that you mention are uncreative. However there are some Pokemon that very creative such as Mewtwo and Mew.
    You mean unborn baby clone and unborn baby?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-02-28 at 02:41 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    You mean embryo clone and embryo?
    Yes. Is that what they are originally?

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Is that what they are originally?
    Just saying that they're technically about as creative as Muk, given that they just look like an unborn baby.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Just saying that they're technically about as creative as Muk, given that they just look like an unborn baby.
    I'll give them props for being creative on the Mewtwo and Mew.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

I'll give them props for being creative on the Mewtwo and Mew.
    No I'm saying that the Mewtwo and Mew are just as uncreative as everything else.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Banned

Planetar

Yes. And there are ones not equally creative in later games?

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be the first one to bash Gen I designs, but I don't actually have any problems with mew and mewtwo. Sure, mew is simple and mono-chromatic, but complexity isn't always the answer. It's still a very effective design that gets the point across. Just by looking at it, you can make a reasonable approximation of what it is. Mewtwo is also a good design that does give the image of being a man-made organic weapon, and the second neck gives it a very distinctive appearance. These are two designs that I think hold up very well compared to many of the Gen I mons.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Banned

Planetar

Moving on from that discussion of 'genwunner' nonsense, I think I might die of happiness, and shift my Favoured tier of play to the following pokemon"s home.

It's a UK flavoured game, right. And there are common dogs or dog likes everywhere in most generations: snubbull, poochyena, stoutland, etc

So UK, well known dog of the Queen, are Corgis. I have a Corgi (and a Swedish Vallhund, which looks like a Corgi sized husky)...

Bring on learning the ZU meta (unless we get a pseudo Snorlax grade corgi-mon)

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

Moving on from that discussion of 'genwunner' nonsense, I think I might die of happiness, and shift my Favoured tier of play to the following pokemon"s home.

It's a UK flavoured game, right. And there are common dogs or dog likes everywhere in most generations: snubbull, poochyena, stoutland, etc

So UK, well known dog of the Queen, are Corgis. I have a Corgi (and a Swedish Vallhund, which looks like a Corgi sized husky)...

Bring on learning the ZU meta (unless we get a pseudo Snorlax grade corgi-mon)
    Well, the UK doesn't have too many notable animals, so I'm assuming they'll exploit as many as they can. I bet a corgi mon would be cute.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes. And there are ones not equally creative in later games?
    Yes I'm fully aware of uncreative Pokemon in later games even though I only play Generation 1.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, is that going to fan-abbreviate to SS?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-28 at 04:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Banned

Planetar

Yes I'm fully aware of uncreative Pokemon in later games even though I only play Generation 1.
    'People are so uncreative', says the person playing the same 23 year old game.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

No I'm saying that the Mewtwo and Mew are just as uncreative as everything else.
    Really? Wow. You're entitled of your own opinion and I respected you opinion.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

'People are so uncreative', says the person playing the same 23 year old game.
    LOL!

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Wow, AV's in Let's Go are super strong, much more powerful than the normal EV system. Me and Bartmanhomer messed around with it a bit today. If only one person has the AV's set they can switch ice Pokémon into fire types and win. Madness.

And this earlier battle Bartmanhomer posted?:

That was with the AV's set to 0. Props for pulling that off.
    Apparently all AVs competitively should be set to 0. Anything else is considered to be competitive muck, and lies heavily in the cesspool of AG or AG+ Mega Rayquaza.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I forgot to ask earlier. What's AV stands for?

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Banned

Planetar

Really? Wow. You're entitled of your own opinion and I respected you opinion.
    No, you didn't really respect his opinion.

:)

Please stop being childish (I appreciate the irony of that in a pokemon thread on a roleplaying games forum), and at least have the decency to keep comments like 'you're entitled to your opinion' to yourself.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

No, you didn't really respect his opinion.

:)

Please stop being childish (I appreciate the irony of that in a pokemon thread on a roleplaying games forum), and at least have the decency to keep comments like 'you're entitled to your opinion' to yourself.
    I know you're joking.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Banned

Planetar

I forgot to ask earlier. What's AV stands for?
    Awakening Value. It's a reworked EV system for Pogo and LGPE, but allows you to take any old garbage all the way, at least in game.
    I know you're joking.
    Take it as you will, but I'm not.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2019-02-28 at 04:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently all AVs competitively should be set to 0. Anything else is considered to be competitive muck, and lies heavily in the cesspool of AG or AG+ Mega Rayquaza.
    Okay, so I was the one astray there. Forget what you learned from me Bart and be a good person.

I can kind of see why too, the AV's make the differences between species smaller, where maxed EV's make them bigger. Let's hope Showdown gets a check on that soon.

As for the eternal discussion on bad Pokémon designs: I use the ones I like, so it's typically not that much of a problem for me. More mon, more choices, if anything. Many of my favorites are from gen 1, probably more than any other gen, but I gain a few creatures I like with every step. But I will say I was impressed by generation 7. They really stayed away from the ideas that had been done several times already. There is not a single Godzilla style ground or rock type in there for instance. Those are super cool, but we have a bunch of them already, so good work gen 7. If anything the average quality of the designs may be higher in gen 7 than in 1.

Mechanically there's a few recent developments I could still do without, like mega evolution and Z-moves, but abilities for instance were a brilliant move. For me that's perhaps thé main thing preventing Pokémon from becoming just a stat block after a while. Rampardos is awesome because of Mold Breaker, which is awesome because it counters Levitate, which is itself awesome because of the immunity it provides. So for me there have certainly been improvements since the start of the franchise.

That's just my take on it, but being used to more, playing gen 1 style does feel a little like kid mode. I mean, I play Go, that's even simpler, still enjoyable, I just also like the full "7 gens of baggage" package.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-28 at 04:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Awakening Value. It's a reworked EV system for Pogo and LGPE, but allows you to take any old garbage all the way, at least in game.
    Thank you and whatever!

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Firbolg in the Playground

Crap.

Had a couple of pokemon day research waiting to be claimed for flower headed pika and eevee and when I claimed them after the event the pokemon had no flowers.

Now I'm worried that the flowered pokemon I had claimed from research and had run from planning to collect later might revert to non-flower status too. :(

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I'm going to set all my Pokemon AV back to 0.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's going to be abbreviated SwSh, or pokemon swish!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Oh hey. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, is that going to fan-abbreviate to SS?
    Probably, and I expect the obvious joke will make the rounds for a while but will likely stop being funny and disappear before the games even come out.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm thinking of mixing my Pokemon Let's Go team up a bit. Fire/Water Type, Fire/Flying Type, Fire/Ground and etc.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking of mixing my Pokemon Let's Go team up a bit. Fire/Water Type, Fire/Flying Type, Fire/Ground and etc.
    As far as building a strong team goes that would be a good move. Especially in Let's Go because there are relatively little different double types available, there are no abilities and the movepools are rather limited, so six Pokémon that all share a type tend to be pretty similar.

Fire is at a disadvantage against Ground, Water, Rock and Dragon. Assuming fire is staying your main thing with 3 or 4 fire mons in your party the tactical choice is to pick a secondary type with an advantage over as many as those as possible. Grass has an advantage over Ground, Water and Rock, covering most of fire's weaknesses. And Fire covers several weaknesses of Grass, most notably Ice, Bug and Fire itself (you have more fire types than most people, so you have more choice as to which is the best one for the current matchup). Grass also has the poison type as a common secondary typing. That doesn't give you that much, but it does help against Fighting and Fairy types (Fairy is a thing in Let's Go right?) and other poison types.

Out of the three types you named Water seems like the best option. It is strong against Ground and Rock, it has the largest pool of Pokémon available and there are some interesting double types available, like the water/flying Gyarados (between it and Charizard this almost gives you a three typed team, Fire/Water/Flying) with Dragon type attacks and the Water/Poison type Tentacruel. There are certainly worse choices.

But the fun in Pokémon is often to just pick the thing you like and then find a way to make it work. So go for whatever type pleases you, and then be smart about it.

P.S. Only for Let's Go, PoGo has no EV's or AV's at the current time.

If it did I would have the Rhydon to rule them all, with over 500 buddy kilometers and closing in on 500 battles won.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!