New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ninja: Who were they realy

After reading another thread I came to the conclusion that most people know very little about how historical Ninja acted and were trained. And I would like to dispel some myths.

1. Ninja just killed people all the time there lives were full of nothing but killing.
    Truth many trained Ninja never killed anyone, the did reconnaissance work, getting info on enemy forces, and what a rival group does.

2. Ninja were lawless.
    Truth most Ninja were servants of a feudal lord who they worked for there whole lives.

3. Ninja were trained in the mountains by a monk or some other mystic order.
    Truth most ninja were trained in villages that looked like any other village on the outside but were realy training grounds. They learned there art from member so the village and there own family.

4. Ninja were just Assassins.
    Actually Ninja would fight in wars just like Samurai some times even wearing Samurai Armor in battles, they were quite capable front line fighters but may not have been as well equipped as the Samurai were.

5. Ninja I see in movies are historically correct.
    No not so much.

I'm sure I'll be adding more to this but for more info on Ninja now see the wiki page it actually has good info on this. Ninja
    Last edited by StickMan; 2007-07-18 at 11:19 PM.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ninja: Who were they realy

There is a most excellent book on the subject. Ninja by Stephen Turnbull takes you through the history of the ninja, how they actually originated in the samurai class and so on. It's a great book.

Book name:Ninja
    Author: Stephen Turnbull
    ISBN: 1-84067-432-6
    Ouche blue beblue schebuuu

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember seeing a special about ninjas on Discovery Channel as well. The myths about supernatural abilities that ninjas are said to possess might have probably been just spread by ninjas themselves to hide their identity as rather mundane spies.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well technically ninja's did kill. They killed in battle, but other than that, one of their main purposes was to sneak into enemy's bases, and steal their battle plans or kill their leader.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    Well technically ninja's did kill. They killed in battle, but other than that, one of their main purposes was to sneak into enemy's bases, and steal their battle plans or kill their leader.
    Yes, I saw that on TV once too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninja did use mind-experimenting drugs, though. Of course, that's not terribly unusual both in the world of espionage and war.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis Bladewing View Post
    Ninja did use mind-experimenting drugs, though. Of course, that's not terribly unusual both in the world of espionage and war.

Nor in every day life.
    Neverwinter Nights
    IC
    OOC
    Oros Llewellyn

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis Bladewing View Post
    especially in a country where one of the main import products other than tea and silk was, in fact, opium

the Ninjas have been known to carry out sabotages, assassinations, spy-work and many other tasks that required mostly acting in "enemy territory".
    It must however be said that many times people who were carrying out similar tasks where called ninjas just because of this but had had no particular training as "ninja".

fighting skills and other talents where tought in the families and/or where part of everyday's life (several samurai or ronin acted as "ninja" on an occasion or two, think only of the uber-famous 47 samurai..

and of course the ones who actually made a living as ninjas, assassins or spies, did everything they could to boost the myth surrounding them. fear is also an important factor in any whar, warlords, samurai and ninjas knew this and acted accordingly doing whatever in their might to aquire the fame of unbeatable, terrifying or favoured by fortune, as to discourage any foe.

(sounds a bit like the famous rule nr 1 of the Discworld)
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    especially in a country where one of the main import products other than tea and silk was, in fact, opium

the Ninjas have been known to carry out sabotages, assassinations, spy-work and many other tasks that required mostly acting in "enemy territory".
    It must however be said that many times people who were carrying out similar tasks where called ninjas just because of this but had had no particular training as "ninja".

fighting skills and other talents where tought in the families and/or where part of everyday's life (several samurai or ronin acted as "ninja" on an occasion or two, think only of the uber-famous 47 samurai..

and of course the ones who actually made a living as ninjas, assassins or spies, did everything they could to boost the myth surrounding them. fear is also an important factor in any whar, warlords, samurai and ninjas knew this and acted accordingly doing whatever in their might to aquire the fame of unbeatable, terrifying or favoured by fortune, as to discourage any foe.
    I thought China was the one where they were beaten over the head with opium by the British.
    Groom to the Haberdasher's Daughter.

Freddy Krueger by Ink, Flabbicus by Lord Herman, Rilik by Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

China had it forced eventually by the british, I believe Japan never tried to get rid of it at that time.
    Love=evil
    Love leads to chaos
    Chaos leads to heartbreak
    Heartbreak leads to stalker
    Magic leads to invisible stalker
    Love, increasing evil's forces one
    dope at a time.

Looking for players for my star trek game, its in recruitment under, The ultimate voyage.