A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Monsters in the Playground, Take II, Phase II

Our accepted monsters need description, fluff text, and method of fitting into the world at large! Call dibs on one, write it up, and post your results here!

(art also accepted )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Monsters in the Playground, Take II, Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Our accepted monsters need description, fluff text, and method of fitting into the world at large! Call dibs on one, write it up, and post your results here!

(art also accepted )
    Even the ones that we ourselves did not create?

Do I need to reformat all that explanatory text that I did for the Preserved Zombie? I probably should anyway, but I'm a lazy cuss.

I assume you want a fairly strict layout like:

Description: This monster looks like a monster, it is very monstery.

Fluff Text: This monster is a fluffy monster, look at its fluffiness!

Using this Monster: This monster is used to attack PCs! Rar!

I'd think that unless you were strict about the exact layout of the text in this way you'd have to pursue us over and over again to get things right for a single unified format style for the book.

Also, for those of us who did acquired templates, should we be also providing some sample creatures? Like a Preserved zombie attack dog for example?
    Listen, newbie, we're the villians. We play rough. You didn't die, so quit your whining and go do something useful.

--- OOTS #465

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ringsnake View Post
    Even the ones that we ourselves did not create?
    Yes.

I assume you want a fairly strict layout like:

Description: This monster looks like a monster, it is very monstery.

Fluff Text: This monster is a fluffy monster, look at its fluffiness!

Using this Monster: This monster is used to attack PCs! Rar!
    Yes.

Also, for those of us who did acquired templates, should we be also providing some sample creatures? Like a Preserved zombie attack dog for example?
    Yes, but remember to only template OGL creatures.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

This leaves me with the sad task of hacking down the Oaves to an acceptable size. <sigh>

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought it already had that stuff, Zeta Kai. It even says in the Sig: With ALL the trimmings.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    This leaves me with the sad task of hacking down the Oaves to an acceptable size. <sigh>
    Well... consider putting in a note about how MUCH more is available on the web, perhaps even a specific link?

Korias: Yes, it has ALL that and more... it is, as he said, "trimming it down" that presents the challenge.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Preserved Zombie Writeup

Preserved Zombie Writeup

Original Preserved Zombie rules post

This replaces the text I've written for the preserved zombie. I'll be editing most of this info out of the stats on the original post. I'll add a few sample preserved zombies to the original post.

Description: The preserved zombie is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature that has a skeletal system. The creature so changed must be in the range of Small to Huge size though huge preserved zombies are rare.

The Preserved Zombie looks like a normal zombie at first glance, though they do seem unusually "fresh" and don't stagger or shamble if they happen to be seen in motion. They are clearly reanimated dead. The zombie's orifices are sewn shut, and intricate trace works of runes and sigils are drawn or incised into the flesh. If the base creature had a bite attack the mouth will not be sewn shut, but the gums and other fleshy extras will be cut away. Their creator may have seen fit to equip them clothing, arms, or armor; which is unusual for zombies.

There is an odd funereal smell to them, like stale spices and old flowers, with just a slight hint of decay beneath.

Fluff Text: Zombies are unpleasant to deal with on any longterm basis for all but the most depraved and anosmic of necromancers. Usually used as short-term tools, the smell of putrescence and the eventual decay of the normal zombie makes it useless as any sort of permanent follower.

However, some necromancers have discovered ways of preserving corpses, and have turned that concept to new purposes. Instead of using embalming as a way of venerating the dead some necromancers have worked out how to improve the corpses of the freshly killed for reanimation.

The process is time consuming and expensive, but these preserved zombies don't rot, and are much easier to be around. They are slightly more clever than normal zombies, and have some additional benefits due to the advanced magical processes used in creating them.

Preserved zombies are more clever than normal zombies, but are slavishly devoted to their creator. They are stupid creatures, and though they can receive basic instructions they sometimes miss nuances. They fight as a disorganized mob, and can only work around the most basic of tricks.

They can take basic instructions like "Pull this chain if anyone other than me walks down this hallway, and if the trap doesn't kill them then attack them." A preserved zombie won't repeatedly try something that doesn't work. Tricks that will work on normal zombies, like baiting them over an obvious trap, won't work. They are about as smart as exceptionally clever animals.

Regardless of the alignment of their creator Preserved Zombies read as Neutral Evil. They lack the depth of thought to have any philosophical feelings on the subject, but their creation is the purest act of evil, and reads as such. Spell casters that create preserved zombies will have their alignment shift to evil, and must do some form of major atonement to recover a neutral or good alignment.

A preserved zombie can only be created from corpses that are freshly dead, no more than a few days old, and they must not be too badly damaged or aged. The embalming process is complex, and consists of carefully removing the organs without damaging the muscles or skeletal structure too much, pickling them, and putting them back in place with cloth soaked in preservatives and perfumes.

The spellcaster attempting the ritual must cast True Sight, Gentle Repose, and Fox's Cunning on the corpse shortly after Raise Dead is used on them. Cost of materials and labor varies, but is at least 250 gp per hit die plus the cost of material componants for the spells. For medium creatures multiply that cost by two, large creatures multiply by five, and for Huge creatures multiply that cost by ten.

Using this Monster: Depending on your own campaign and the level of acceptance of necromancy in your game setting you may want to make the process of creating a preserved zombie more or less difficult. Plot hooks are a bit easier with this monster than normal zombies. Preserved zombies require a fresher and more intact corpse, so a necromancer may start making his own corpses by killing people, which should in turn attract the attention of players.

The preserved zombie can also be used to punish players for overconfidence without actually killing them. PCs too used to abusing invisibility or other illusion spells to sidestep every encounter cannot do so against a zombie with true seeing.

At the discretion of the DM extra materials, spells, and sacrifices may be required. If there's any risk that player characters might try to create these for themselves I suggest you make the Craft Construct feat also a requirement, and make the PC pay XP for their preserved zombies. Otherwise this changes from an upscaled zombie to cheap and easy access to a permanent true sight spell.

I suggest you add the following special qualities to normal zombies:

Putrescent (Ex): A zombie is a foul and rotting carcass brought to sick semblance of life. It is impossible to disguise them as anything else, and they are easy to track or locate due to their stupidity and clumsiness. Any attempt to use the Track feat against zombies gains a +10 circumstance bonus. Living creatures with a sense of smell within 5' of a zombie needs to make a Fortitude save (DC10) or become sickened.

Rotting (Ex): Zombies have an expiration date. The more damaged the revived carcass the more quickly it will disintegrate. Zombies only last for a few months at most. The statistics of the zombie in the SRD reflect the freshly revived. A zombie loses 1HD for every 2 weeks of existence. Once they reach 0HD, they collapse into a useless pile of rotten flesh. Spells like Gentle repose will delay this process, but won't eliminate the putrescent limitation.
    Last edited by ringsnake; 2007-07-19 at 07:14 PM.
    Listen, newbie, we're the villians. We play rough. You didn't die, so quit your whining and go do something useful.

--- OOTS #465

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Perfect.

I think we have an example template.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Question for Fax: For approved monsters, should we post the entire monster entry, with full descriptive text, or is this thread just a workshop for the incomplete entries?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Question for Fax: For approved monsters, should we post the entire monster entry, with full descriptive text, or is this thread just a workshop for the incomplete entries?
    Just a workshop. I will collect completed entries for finalization, whether it be by email ([email protected]), wiki (link), or PM. I would prefer the first, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Truth Spinners

Description: The Truth Spinner is a golden spider, glistening with purity and law, and imbued with the very core of Law, looking near-perfect in every way, every joint is at the perfect angle, the body perfectly formed.

When a Truth Spinner uses its spell-like abilities, it spins a web, but unlike a normal web, it is a little tougher looking, and it is always perfectly formed, never a misplaced curve or angle, the whole web perfectly symmetrical. When a Truth Spinner spins together with other Truth Spinners, their webs become more and more complex and intricate, but still perfectly formed, and symmetrical.

When in combat, a Truth Spinner fights without tricks, complementing its allies' strengths and covering for their weaknesses.

Fluff Text: Truth Spinners are wise and intelligent, but they are fragile. They try to stay away from combat, smart enough to know their weaknesses, instead spinning webs of spells to weaken or damage any Chaotic creature they see. Although they prefer to stay in their caves, where they can care for their eggs and young, they will form alliances with other Lawful creatures in the area, such as Mind Flayers, to hunt down any Chaotic threats in the area. Inevitables and other Lawful creatures will sometimes recruit Truth Spinners for their Zone of Truth Ability, which makes it possible for Trials to go on with perfect truth. Usually, Truth Spinners will be content with serving their duty as Lawful creatures, and not expect any payment for their services in trials, but will refuse to aid in a trail for more than a week, as it forces them to be too far away from their nests and homes.

Using this Monster: The place to fight this monster is in its own den, preferably in the company of fellow Truth Spinners, to allow for optimal power. At higher levels, this monster can be placed at the back of a team of strong melee-based combatants, always Lawful, casting spells to assist their allies, or harm their enemies. A Truth Spinner will usually start the battle with Dictum, to weaken any Chaotic enemies, followed by buffs of Spell Resistance, Blade Barriers and Obscuring Mist to slow their enemies, before finishing off enemies with Flame Strikes. Truth Spinners are logical and methodical when fighting, always making the most intelligent and sensical combat decisions.

In a more non-combat setting, the Truth Spinners could be used in a trial, using their Zone of Truth ability to force the PC's to tell the truth, regardless of any spells or Bluff ranks. A DM using this monster can persuade PC's to find a different solution to a trial besides lying, such as investigating the crime, or at the very least hiring a good lawyer.
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2007-07-19 at 10:36 PM.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blood-Burning Crab Ecology

Description: The blood-burning crab is a magical creature that looks like a large crab, that uses salt and pain as a weapon.

Blood-burning crabs have light green shells that look like the color of the sea. Its shell shines due to a gloss it uses to prevent prey from escaping. The blood-burning crabs mouth is to small to be used as a weapon and it takes a while to eat its food. However most of the time you don’t see a blood-burning crabs shell as its shell is usually covered with sand. It uses the sand as a camouflage to catch prey.

Every summer a blood-burning crab uses the adhesive on its shell to cover its self with shiny things (spoons, coins, gems, etc.) It usually has at least 35gp worth items by some accounts. During this time they cannot put sand on their bodies and lose their natural camouflage.

Fluff Text: Every summer, or at least when food is in abundance, blood-burning crabs go to their lairs and grab all the items they’ve collected over their life and stick it to their shell. They then travel to a certain spot using only their instincts to guide them. Those that come to the spot go around showing off the items they’ve collected attempting to attract a mate.

Blood-burning crabs make small lairs that they dig in the sand. These are usually small lairs that they only use to store any items they collect and to sleep in. The entrances to these layers are usually too small for medium or taller creatures to climb in. The layer is only one room half filled with items (the same type they use during mating season.).

Using This Monster:
    A blood-burning crab is like a clever animal and acts like such. It uses simple tactics: it hides in the sand and when opponents come to close they jump out and attack them, injuring as many opponents as possible before attempting to hit all the opponents with its breath weapon. If its clearly out matched the blood-burning crab runs into the sea to hide. The only time a blood-burning crab is caught in its lair is at night or the week before mating.

A blood-burning crab could be trained to be used as a “watch dog”, but could be hard requiring a DC 25 handle animal check every day for a week to train it. Also if unable to get to the breeding grounds a blood-burning crab will become angry and attack anyone who doesn’t make a DC 30 handle animal check, even if he’s a friend.

Blood-burning crabs are used mostly for combat settings attacking anyone headed for beaches, in the water, and sometimes, if food is scarce, on boats.

The original blood-burning crab
    Unofficial flash light of the
    My homebrew monsters: Reef Golem, Blood Burning Crab, Blood Burning Swarm, Spreader, Demonic Spirit
    Bringer of doom to all thing furry and small

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I think that this thread needs sticky-ing.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Mon/Wed) and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2: Justice For All (Fri)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sticky might be good... but then the first thread probably should be unstickied, which also means Fax needs to edit the first post in this thread to include a link to the first thread.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I second the nomination for Sticky-ness. The Phase One thread has become obsolete, so it should probably be de-Sticky'd.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to withdraw my blackice shadow from the MitP. My original vision for it was to have several different ocanthicite creatures grouped together (much like devils, demons, and such), but I was unable to complete the four others in time.

My other entries still remain, however, and I will be revising them shortly. The one to be most revised is likely the stationary guardian, which many stated was actually too powerful for its CR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can those of us who didn't get our MitP entries in on time still contribute to this part of it? And if we do, can we cast votes for the remaining MitP submissions?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NakedCelt View Post
    Can those of us who didn't get our MitP entries in on time still contribute to this part of it? And if we do, can we cast votes for the remaining MitP submissions?
    Yes and yes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Once we've got good descriptions, I'd be willing to contribute artwork. ? Most of my work is in an style similar to anime or comic books. (I can do other styles, but it takes much longer due to a lack of practice.) Has a specific artwork style been established for this project, and, if so, what is it?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by levi View Post
    Once we've got good descriptions, I'd be willing to contribute artwork. ? Most of my work is in an style similar to anime or comic books. (I can do other styles, but it takes much longer due to a lack of practice.) Has a specific artwork style been established for this project, and, if so, what is it?
    There is no specific style; art is appreciated in any form.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Fax, can I suggest that we set a deadline, at the end of which no more votes will be counted, even if there are submitted entries that have not gotten enough to make it in? Otherwise, we might as well just add the submitted monsters to the accepted monsters and be done with it - a course of action I will go on the record as opposing, since it defeats the purpose of voting in the first place.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maiden of The Night

Description Maidens of the night apear similar to female elves, only with sharper features and skin holding a pale blue tint. Their hair is a silvery sheen, and wrapped around their graceful form is a cloak mimicking the night sky.

Fluff textMaidens of the night are nature spirits created when females with an afinity of nature die and are blessed with a sort of immortality by the deities of the moon. They retain their name and a few features from their past life, but none of their former memories. In truth, their physical form is nothing more than an asymilation of fragments of their spirit bound together by their pact with the moon. Many maidens surround themslves with nocturnal creatures to act as their guardians and assistants. Many make pacts with packs of lycanthropes (number ad type is at DM's diiscretion.)

Using this monster Maidens of the night, due to the variety of their alignments, can serve a variety of purposes, from a woman posing as a druid who asks the PC's to help ehr protect a sacred grove, to a vindictive spirit who brings woe upon the womenfolk of nearby settlements for daring to be as beautiful as she. If forced into combat, a Maiden of the night will rely on her spell-like abilities to disorient the PC's and even turn them aginst each other. If she is set on harm, or if her spells fail, she will call for help among the nocturnal creatures in her domain. Once she becomes undenyably hostile, she will open with moonfire to soften the party's melee combatants before opening fire with her bow.
    Last edited by stolenchariot; 2007-07-31 at 11:42 PM.
    Twelve Gates Campaign setting

Help, feedback, and contributions gladly accepted.

Currently working on: Races.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Fax, can I suggest that we set a deadline, at the end of which no more votes will be counted, even if there are submitted entries that have not gotten enough to make it in? Otherwise, we might as well just add the submitted monsters to the accepted monsters and be done with it - a course of action I will go on the record as opposing, since it defeats the purpose of voting in the first place.
    Good call. August 10th.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

So we can definitely still vote for stuff until then?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    So we can definitely still vote for stuff until then?
    Yes, you may.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, good. Somebody recently posted to say everything was closed. Glad to hear there is still a chance of some of these Monsters getting in.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I've gone through my Psuedothreat and rewritten its fluff. See the main post for the stats, details of its abilities and combat tactics;

Description
    Psuedothreats are small Fey creatures with skin coloured green, brown or gray depending on their environment and wearing clothes made of bark or small shards of slate. They are about 1 to 1.5 ft tall and weigh a little less than 1lb. They speak Sylvan and the language of whatever race they live nearest to (usually Common for forest dwellers or Terran in the case of cave dwellers). There is little gender dimorphism and most psuedothreats appear androgynous by the standards of most creatures (though they seem to have no trouble identifying one another's sex and elves or any PC who has ranks in a related knowledge skill tend to notice).

Fluff Text
    They enjoy frightening travelers (but never maliciously), normally by following them for a few days and making them nervous by using their teleport to move items around. When they have finally decided that their victims are nervous enough they use their Know Enemy spell like ability to find out what would scare them the most, then attempt to replicate it with a Silent Illusion. If they succeed (usually this means making at least one of their victims scream in terror or in some other way make a fool of themselves) then they will reveal themselves to the party (often giggling uncontrollably) and award them with a mundane alchemical item.

Using this Monster
    Pseudothreats are always encountered in a cave or forest and will begin (if the choose to) follow their target(s) as soon as they enter the area.

If there is a group of 5-6 of psuedothreats then one of them will be the leader and have higher a hit dice than the rest. In this case there is a 10% chance per its HD that they will instead offer them a quest in exchange for a magical item based on their Craft skill and feat (rather than giving them an alchemical item outright), roll a 1d4 to decide what this is and consult the table below.

{table=head]
    1d4 Roll
    |
    Craft Skill
    |
    Feat

1|
    Craft(ring)
    |
    Forge Ring

|
    Craft(tool)
    |
    Craft Wondrous Item

|
    Craft(Weaponsmithing)
    |
    Craft Magic Arms And Armor

|
    Craft(Alchemy)
    |
    Brew Potion
    [/table]

The "quests" tend to bizarre in nature, and can be anything from giving a speech to the next person the PCs meet using a random word to retrieving a stone from a certain area of a dungeon (It is recommended that the DM choose the quest after the item has been rolled to ensure its fair).
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Mon/Wed) and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2: Justice For All (Fri)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frozen Terrors

Description: Vicious Hunters, Frozen Terrors chase after any and all living prey as it bounds across the Elemental Plane of Water, freezing water to step on, always vigilant for a new challenge. Frozen Terrors are the size of a normal wolf, but are instead made of solid Ice, and covered in spikes that could impale a full-grown man. As it fights, it growls viciously in Aquan, every word accented with growls, barks, and the crackling of ice.

Fluff Text: Not really the most intelligent monster a party of Adventurers would encounter, the Frozen Terror really doesn't know more than simple battle tactics, and how to hit where it hurts. When surrounded, it will call for help, and beat off enemies one by one, tripping them when necessary. A Frozen Terror also hold the pack mentality of a wolf, so for every one you see, another two lurk nearby, ready to come at the nearest sign of prey. The eldest of the Frozen Terrors usually becomes the Pack Lord, directing hunting parties, and getting the best pieces of freshly caught prey.

Using this Monster: When it fights, this monster prefers to lunge into melee to make the most of the spikes that cover its body, but if a Frozen Terror knows it is out-numbered, it will use its Freezing Howl to damage enemies, and call for help. The most exciting way to use this monster would be to have the party fight just one, then as more Frozen Terrors hear the fights, and the Howls of the Terror currently fighting, they would join in, eventually forcing the party to fight the entire pack. Interesting ways to use this monster include having a pack attack a research center on the plane of water, or coupling it with other Elementals, such as Water Elementals.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Updated Fluff for my Protective Spirits

Description
    Protective Spirits appear as they did in life but will have something about their appearance which indicates how they died. For example someone who was hung would have a stretched neck, someone who starved would appear thin and skeletal and so on. They normally avoid frightening people and thus remain invisible.

Fluff Text
    A Guardian Spirit is created when a sapient being is killed in an unpleasant manner (or had their body befouled after death). Rather than bearing a grudge or resentment towards the living they desire only to prevent other beings from sharing their fate. They will normally inhabit the area in which they died (e.g. level of a dungeon, section of a city or a small settlement). They will do anything in their power to prevent someone dieing in the same way that they did, up to and including killing.

Using this Monster
    Protective Spirits can be found anywhere where someone can meet an untimely death. They will do their best to prevent a death in the same manner as their own (although some will be focused on what happens to the person's corpse) but will not intervene in regards to other hazards and are as likely to be against the party as they are to attack them. See the rest of the article for examples of subtypes and combat tactics.

Example Protective Spirit
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unknown Half Orc Fighter Protective Spirit (Unlucky Spirit)
    Size/Type: Medium Undead (incorporeal)
    Hit Dice: 1d12 (6 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: Flight (perfect Maneuverability); 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 11 (+1 from charisma bonus), touch 10, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
    Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Corrupting Gaze, Corrupting Touch, Draining Touch, Frightful Moan, Horrific Appearance, Malevolence, Manifestation, Telekinesis
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity, Rejuvenation, Turn Resistance (+4), Warning Mark, Vengeful Victim
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 11, Con 0, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 10
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9, Hide +8, Search +8
    Feats: Alertness
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Alignment: Neutral Good

An unknown Half Orc fighter who's corpse lies cut in half where he was killed by a swinging blade trap. His studded leather armour has been destroyed beyond repair however his weapon is intact and still carried by his spirit, who lingers to prevent other's from falling victim to the traps in the dungeon.

Corrupting Gaze (Su) A ghost can blast living beings with a glance, at a range of up to 30 feet. Creatures that meet the ghost’s gaze must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2d10 points of damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.

Corrupting Touch (Su) A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Draining Touch (Su) A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Frightful Moan (Su) A ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Horrific Appearance (Su) Any living creature within 60 feet that views a ghost must succeed on a Fortitude save or immediately take 1d4 points of Strength damage, 1d4 points of Dexterity damage, and 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ghost’s horrific appearance for 24 hours.

Malevolence (Su) Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

Manifestation (Su) Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Telekinesis (Su) A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Light Sensitivity (Ex) Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Rejuvenation (Su) In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Turn Resistance (Ex) A ghost has +4 turn resistance.

Warning Mark (Sp) The spirit may create a mark on a surface or in the air. It glows bright red (or another colour of the ghost's choice) and anyone who sees it or comes withing 30ft. of it gets a feeling of wariness about whatever it has been scribed to (the area if it was scribed in the air) and gains a +2 bonus to any attempts to avoid, detect, etc traps. A mark is suppressed (but not removed) by an antimagic field. A ghost may have no more than 4 active marks.

Vengeful Victim (Su) The ghost may freely suppress or reactivate the trap which killed them. They may not suppress it for longer than 5 hours and then they must rest for a further hour.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-08-14 at 10:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

As the voting ended on August 10th, do we have a final list of monsters? Also, it would be beneficial to see which creatures still need work, so as to coordinate or efforts.