New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Pseudodragon Shares

A pseudodragon has been traveling with our party for a while. His main contribution has been suggestions and keeping in telepathic contact with our scouts. If you were going to pay him for his services, how much would you give him (Share fractions? Set rate?) and in what form? (Coins? Spare magic items?)
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Pseudodragon Shares

Lots of catnip and petting.

It DOES say that they're really catlike in the description...
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Pay it in pseudogold?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Take a look at what sort of horde you'd expect for a Wyrmling white dragon - CR 2 dragon, vs the psuedodragon's CR 1. I'd try to give it around 1/10 of that per adventure arc, or approximately 1/10 of the net gains the party made, after expenses such as raise dead and the like, whichever is more. Neither should be too big a hit to the wealth level, but it's enough to show the psuedodragon it's appreciated.

As far as preference in what to give it, I'd look at items that improve its ability to survive (invisibility items and such), followed by gems. If it's been with you a while and accumulates a fair amount of stuff, perhaps do the thoughtful thing and buy it a specially-sized Heward's Handy Haversack or Bag of Holding.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Pseudodragon Shares

Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    It DOES say that they're really catlike in the description...
    Indeed. If you get into a lot of the stuff written about psuedodragons outside of the Monster Manual, you find that pseudodragons are addicted to being pampered. They think they're the best thing around and expect to be treated like it. Psuedodragons generally only chose to travel with companions willing to give them that kind of attention.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Indeed. If you get into a lot of the stuff written about psuedodragons outside of the Monster Manual, you find that pseudodragons are addicted to being pampered. They think they're the best thing around and expect to be treated like it. Psuedodragons generally only chose to travel with companions willing to give them that kind of attention.
    We already pamper him. Debating whether to take it a step further by actually giving him loot.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

7. - Top - End - #7

Give him comfortable sleeping arangements. Such as a pillow.
    Give him fish. All the Pseudodragons Ive encountered has a strange liking to fish. It could be my GM, but fish is easy to come by.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Korias View Post
    Give him comfortable sleeping arangements. Such as a pillow.
    A magic pillow of comfortable-ness! And a Plate of Endless Sweet-meats (think Decanter of Endless Water, but with tasty treats instead of water).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Hee hee... Pseudodragons have been banned in my group because one of our players broke one. 60 AC at level 15, none of us are sure just how he did it. But if the MM is right, I think just pampering, feeding, and being generally nice to it and the woods and the world are good enough. They are happy to help good creatures, and will serve faithfully like a pegasus, right? Be stingy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it is a dragon (well a fake dragon), so I imagine it does like gold. Something like 1 gp a month/week/day would be enough to make it have its own little hoard to be proud of without seriously affecting your wealth. Generally speaking, only PCs get "shares", most NPCs charge a flat rate.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion