New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A City of Sinister Delights IC

@Travis & Raikou: Senerain and Rothen lead you to the House of Knowledge and Sister Hannah is quick to meet all of you with a deep bow.

"Blessed day, Merciful Father Rothen! And lady Senerain! Always a pleasure.""

Rothen blushes and returns the bow.

"Just Rothen, sister. I was wondering if we could have a room in your school to have a private chat with our friend.""

Sister Hannah walks with all of you to her main office, which is just a desk with some book shelves- all stacked and a couple of chairs. A painting has been hanged on the far wall with a crude plaque beneath it:

Our Mercy Maiden, Who Brought us Freedom

Rothen looks at the painting and then at Hannah.

"That's a nice painting. Is that her?""

"Yes... or at least as I remember her. I will go see to the other students. Take all the time you need."

Sister Hannah closes the door behind all of you and Rothen invites both to take a seat as he walks around the room and eyes Raikou.

"You never said where you came from, Raikou. Your clothes tell me you're a wizard, is that right? Look, I don't know how to tell you this, but...""

Rothen looks at Senerain, who takes the main chair behind the desk and looks at you straight in the eye.

"Tonel Carth is dead. I am afraid you flew all the way here for nothing. I can arrange a ship for you to...""

Rothen clears his throat and places his hand on your shoulder.

"Why exactly are you here, Raikou? This place... it's not the best place to be.""

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raikou listens to Rothen speak and his face turns into a frown of disappointment when he hears that one of those he was supposed to be looking for was already dead. Lady Choralis would be devastated to hear of this. But this guy didn't say anything about the other one though.

Wait... so this Tonel guy, he's dead? That's sad.

What's wrong with this place? Why is it not a good place to be? The city over there seems nice, except for those flying blasting metal monsters. And this place... well it don't look as nice but it's decent enough.

And on wondering if he was a wizard.

And no, not a wizard, a sorcerer actually. I'm here because my master asked me to find out what happened. She was friends with Tonel and Archadious and is worried about them. And she wanted me to find them and tell them to leave Hamalthan immediately.

She'll be really sad to hear that Tonel is dead though. What happened to him? I think I should at least be able to tell her that. Wasn't he like a Sky Archer or something?

And what about the other one. Archadious? You haven't mentioned anything about him...

Is he still around?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: This is a downer.

All that sailing and flying across the Ossian way. To be shot down by one of those machines and now... he's dead.

Rothen nods and looks at the painting of the Mercy Maiden.

"Tonel Carth ceased to be over a month ago, Raikou. He was murdered in The Mercy. An assassin caught him unawares and he is no more. As for the City? You got lucky- those things that float past the wall will shoot down any caster. especially those that fly. Chances are they have deemed you dead and so, have chosen not to pursue.

Right now, Halmathan is under the rule of a very unpleasant man by the name of Connor. He has taken the powers of a king and rules the city with an iron fist. In a way, The Mercy- which is where we are now- is so far devoid of his influence, but that doesn't mean it's any less dangerous.""

Senerain leans back on the chair and looks at you.

"You're a sorcerer, then? I should have known... look. I may have come out as a tad hostile just a bit earlier, but Rothen and I are the only ones who now stand for the church of Phaulkon, established by Father Borazon the Merciful. The Mercy is not a kind place, but if you plan to stay, your spells will not be sanctioned here... as long as you don't start blowing things up. Sorcerers have gained such reputation, after all."

On the matter of informing Choralis about Tonel's demise, Rothen looks at Senerain and then at you.

"Let's not start sending out somber news. I don't know who your friend is, but if she was a friend to Tonel's, she might want to come here and frankly, the less people that get involved the better, given the city's situation.

As for Tonel? Yes, he was a Sky Archer, devoted to Kord's father. A peerless man of faith and bow. You did mention Archaidous... he was a friend of Tonel. I met him briefly. he and his friends allied with the new church leader, Borazon to end the threat that was Sarjon, a warlord in The Mercy.

But... we have no idea where Archaidous is. The last thing we know is that he and the Merciful father Borazon went on a recon mission deeper in this place to find... someone, I believe. The details weren't that clear.

If you wish, you can return. Father Borazon left me in charge of sorts. I can have a ship chartered back to your home. If you wish to stay, we could get all the help we can. The Mercy is not bereft of dangers and injustice. Connor may not have his grip around this place, but bandits and warlords and who knows what else are hiding and scheming in the shadows.

Truth be told, Senerain and I have wanted to go look for father Borazon and, if we are right, we will find Archaidous as well. However, my newly appointed duties keep me within Connor's sights."

Senerain looks at you and smiles.

"But you, Raikou- nobody knows who you are. If you choose to stay, together, we may find Srchaidous and the Merciful father and perhaps... perhaps find a way to bring back Tonel Carth.""

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

It seemed like things were getting tense, not new, things were always rough but there was something new, something not quite right – even for the Mercy. The last few months had been building to something, and whatever it was it wasn’t good.

So that was Sedge. One of these days he would have to actually speak to her. Seti, tipped his hat on the way out falling into step behind Spooner as he left.

“Here.” he said fliping the silver piece out of his mug and towards Spooner, “A donation from our esteemed Suloise visitors from the ‘High Church’… sorry ‘Mission’ of the Phaulkon. There’s a dodgy bloke been frequenting the Bitter Coffee, has a penchant for a three whisky breakfast and the gold to pay for it. Or at least he did Drakan sharped him in the market, a flawless bump. Was wondering if you know anything about the guy, something off about him, was thinking of asking Drakan if I couldn’t a look at whatever he filched.”

Seti takes a moment to reset his disguise while he enters the street with his mentor. “Also, about the market was a bit of a show, seems some Halfing crashed there goes by, ‘Roku’ or something like that wasn’t able to hear his name clearly or catch everything but it seems he is looking for two people here that peaked our missionaries interest. Two fellows by the names of ‘Archadious’ and ‘Tonel’. One of the letter heads staying near the House of Knowledge, by the name Kyrich was with them and also seemed to be interested in however this Halfling was on about. Oh and there is some recruiter who showed up goes by Travis, looked like another ‘Rune Refugee’ from his cut. That’s all I got, aside from that Silver there."

He e rolls the mug in his hand for a moment before saying, “Submai” causing the mug to fill with water, taking a sip as they walk he continues, “so you want me to check on the Raptorans at the Wyvern? Speaking of which I almost forget there is a new Raptoran palling about with the Missionaries. She is nothing like the others. Also what about Sedge’s tip off to some bulk arms dealing going on, should we be looking into it?” Seti takes a moment to down his mug of water before waiting for Spooner to reply.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Bella greets her brother with a hug and a kiss on the cheek and a promise to visit her mother 'soon' before listening to his tale with a pensive expression on her face

"Of course I'll help, Tris, even if you weren't my brother. Always. Where was his team last seen? And is anyone else working on this? I'm not saying I'm afraid to go alone, but well, if something caused an entire team to go missing it may be prudent to go in a group"
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

@Seti: Spooner takes the silver coin and flips it back to you.

"You earned it, boy. Keep it as a lucky charm. As for the man you mentioned? yes... I have gotten word of some such individual. Been seen crossing The Mercy alone for the past few months. Those that follow him report that he seems to pack heavy contraband beneath a coat, but his destination is always further into The Mercy, in places where the Society dares not venture: The Crash Site.""

You have heard about this place. It happened a few months ago. A huge explosion that many mistook for a second great fire. The reasons for it are, like the fire, unknown to the populace at large. What is known is that explosion left behind a Dead Man's land- as in, anyone who walks around the place is dead. The air hangs heavy with poison from the explosion's aftermath.

As far as everyone is concerned, nothing could live there and The City itself has made no comments regarding it.

Spooner looks around at the buildings, noticing a few Society thugs, somewhat well hidden as they run their rounds.

"I must agree with Sedge- shaking down the Suloise priest is a terrible idea. If any of them get greedier than usual and I am not around, I hope you can bend their will in the opposite direction. And if their will cannot be bent, a broken arm will have to do.

Regarding Drakan, sure. Go find that guy. Be warned: he may not be tough, but he is sly. Find out what he took off that guy and maybe we can find out why this fool walks into a hazard zone."

You then mention Roku the fallen from the sky.

"Those names do not ring a bell, but Kyrich is one of the ilumians stationed with his garrison not too far from Sister Hannah's school. If so many people are concerned about this halfling, perhaps it would be in our best interest to get inside. Offer them help. Tell them... tell them you know your way around town. Gain their trust, but most importantly, find out if this halfling is somehow connected to the City. Sedge's comment bodes like an ill warning.

And regarding the Raptorans, I'd rather have you go talk to them. Be careful- they have nested up high, in a very inaccessible building. There are two you want to talk to. The ones that matter:

Celitas, their flock leader.

Ketra, the actual leader and scout of the Flock. She is the one that's been spotted on the ground the most.""

It is then that you utter the words of power and your decanter fills with water and you take a good chug.

"So there is another Raptoran in the Mercy? I haven't kept a head count of all of them, but Connor must've sure spooked them good. That Travis fellow. A mage? Keep an eye out for him too.

As for that arms deal... I'll have the Bitter Boys and the Office Watch peel their eyes and ears. Once I have info on that, I'll let you know.""

Spooner takes another swig from his flask and then lowers his hood and walks away from you.

"Where you go now, I leave it up to you, boy.""

@Isobel: Tristram checks the silver he gave you and counts the coins.

"Are you sure this is the place you want to live in? When I got off the cab, I had twenty pieces in this bag. I'm sorry, sis. No wonder people kept bumping into me. Anyways..."

Tristram takes out a folded piece of parchment and spreads it on the table, showing an intricate map.

"These are the old sewer system in Hope's Caress before the Great Fire. I have been informed just recently that one of the former headmasters at Runestone had a lab there. Some sort of research he was conducting, but it never panned out due to the fire itself. Our intel says that Archaidous and his team were headed there.

Direct access to the lab may have been destroyed, so you may have to take one of several entry points through the sewers to get there. The place should be abandoned. I was told the premises were vacated, but it was thought by Archaidous' team that they could find important information there that could lead to solving the problems Runestone is facing now.""

Tristram folds the map and hands it to you.

"Look, this is as new to me as it is to you. I would go there myself, but Connor's men are being extremely militant- if I fail to reach Runestone by nightfall, my fellow mages will suffer the consequences. If needed, I can have money sent to fund any merc... friends you might find here. But most impirtnatly, I need you to stay safe, you hear me? And just so we are connected...""

Tristram hands you a small polished emerald colored pebble.

"This is a Sending Stone. One of a pair. I have the other one. If there is any information you wish to relay, think into the stone and I will be quick to act.""

Tristram gets up and pats Donna on the head.

"You take care of her, ok? Sis...""

Tristram gives you a warm hug and a kiss on the forehead.

"Be safe... and thank you.""

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Bella returns the hug and watches her brother walk through the door, flipping the stone idly before putting it away.
    Sighing she looks down at Donna "What now eh? Imagine me trying to recruit an expedition, Benji was always best at this"
    Bella sighs and rubs the dogs head before standing and heading to the door.
    "breakfast first eh? We'll get Vim to help us write a notice to put up on the board, she's got a way with words"

Bella heads back to the market, hoping that the excitement has calmed down, to buy eggs and milk and head home for now
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

@Isobel: Tristram walks out of the Bitter Coffee and you take a look at the stone he's given you.

Bella looks up at you and barks once as you mention the idea of recruiting a team to explore some long forgotten lab in the sewers beneath The Mercy.

Of all the strange things you have done... and then it hits you:

The sewers. That's underground. Closed spaces. Dark spaces...

Horrible memories, as you instinctively reach for your back and can swear the wound is still fresh, despite all those years.

You give a nod to Nana Rose and Kyle and hit the market place, which, although still filled with people, is not flocked as it was an hour earlier when that Raikou fellow crash landed on you.

A quart of milk and a dozen eggs... all for a silver and a few coppers. Not a bad deal. The 'cold cuts' are definitely a no go in this place. Who knows how many rats were skinned and had their tails cut off to have them pass as pork.

And so, with a nice woven basket held on one hand, you make your way back home, with Donna always by your side, making sure the muggers and stalkers are kept safely at bay.

The rusted gates to Green Meadows are nearly falling apart. Back in the day, this place must've been kept clean and nice and well secured, with beautiful trees surrounding its lake and even a playground for the kids to pass the day...

But now, all that remains are heaps of garbage, blackened vestiges of swings and a swamp for a pond that brings forth a stench most foul with each passing day.

At least it's free living.

The metal steps threaten to collapse as you reach your apartment on the third floor and find the door ajar, which prompts Donna to butt in head first as he barks and sniffs the air...

Something smells good...lavender?

Vim walks towards both from her room carrying a vase with beautiful flowers:

"What took you guys so long? I'm starving! And look what I found: decided to take a stroll around the building and found these pretties in full bloom. Nice touch, huh? Make it a lot more homely around. Here, let me help you with the groceries...""

Vim places the vase on the table and takes the eggs into the very tiny kitchenette and begins to sizzle and crack the eggs.

"So, Belle... I'm going to see that artist I told you about tonight. She says I'm a shoe in for her next show. She mentioned the City. can you believe that? Hitting the limelight again...""

Vim sings a pretty tune as she cooks for you, herself and Donna. It won't be much, but at least this should keep you pepped up for most of the day.

Donna places his massive paws on the table and takes a whiff of the flowers, nearly taking the entire table down with his bulk and sneezes loudly as he gets down and lies on the ground, clearly exhausted from the long walk as you take a seat on the couch and look out the window.

You could probably ask Vim to join you in this mission your brother has bequeathed upon you, but as much as you love Vim, she's not a fighter. She's an artist. Sure, she can sing a hell of a tune, but when it comes to field experience...

Hopefully she does well in her audition.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Aren turns and follows the direction Rothen went. It is a good time to check out the Haflling and to hear his tale. Her new acquaintances seemed to know the folks the small mage was looking for. Perhaps it is important, perhaps not, but she must start somewhere.

She heads to the House of Knowledge, leaning her head into the doorway she looks for Sister Hannah. Seeing her with a cluster of students around her as she is bestowing upon them some fascination of learning. Amazing that in the ruins of Hope’s Caress that such a place as this would exist. Aren feels a surge of admiration for the teacher, it cannot be an easy task, but it is a worthy one. Sister Hannah is to be respected for taking it on.

Aren waits until she catches the sister’s eye, “Excuse me Sister Hannah, I hate to interrupt, did Rothen and the Haflling come in here? Rothen asked me to join them when I could.”

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

@Aren: Having exchanged pleasantries with Ketra, you perform a courteous and semi militaristic bow and head to the House of Knowledge.

There aren't many people attending classes these days. Kyrich mentioned that when it was officially finished, a bunch of Mercyfolk came here in droves. many, tired of living the life of a ruffian and a street rat, decided they wanted to get a higher education.

Learn a craft, no matter how mundane and then, with enough skill and a diploma, leave The mercy and actually work in the city, where the pay is better and you don't have to be shaken down every few weeks by the warlord du jour.

But given what you have heard about Halmathan's current state, it comes as no surprise that many would become disenchanted with the idea of a school - even if it's free. Why spend months or years honing a craft that may not even yield solid coin when you can just join some guild here and steal?

Regardless, the school is not entirely bereft of adherents to Knowledge and Sister Hannah is overjoyed to watch you come in as she and a handful of students- of different ages- greet you with a bow as she holds on to a book.

"Good morning, Lady Aren! Everyone, this is Lady Aren Highclaw. She is a guest in The Mercy and dear friend. We were just going through the history of Halmathan. I believe it is important for everyone to know who founded this city and the brave sacrifices done in ages past, so that they may be revered and improved upon in the future.

But you must be in a hurry. Rothen and the others are in my office. Go ahead.""

It is said that a teacher has the most noble of careers. It may not be fancy. Hannah may never slay a dragon or rid a village of marauding goblins or scribe the spell to end all spells, but here, in this school, she is training the minds of many who, years from today, may accomplish just such deeds.

You head for the main office and watch Senerain seated at the main chair and Rothen pacing around as Travis and the sky bound Raikou take two other chairs and discuss whatever they have been talking about. Enough to have Rothen rather concerned.

The Suloise archer smiles and nods as you come in.

"Did you make new friends with Ketra? She seems like a nice person. Raikou here has, unfortunately, come from far away for a seemingly lost cause, but that doesn't have to be necessarily the case.""

Senerain smiles and looks at you and the halfling.

"This district is rife with bandits and assassins. The Merciful father and his team were able to defeat one warlord, but in doing so, he opened the door to many more, who have been awaiting in the shadows to strike and pick up where he left off.

Rothen and I cannot get involved directly. For now, while The Merciful father is away, he and I are under Connor's watchful eye, but like I was telling Raikou, you aren't.

Perhaps if you and he get together and help us make this place a little safer. Perhaps Travis wants to help as well. We don't want to start a bloody battle in the streets, but I am certain your skills could come in handy, especially here, in a town full of thieves.""

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis listens intently. He greets Aren when she joins the meeting.

Finally he explains what's been on his mind. "I don't know if this is common knowledge around here yet, but a lot of people have gone missing recently. The Mercy has long been a dangerous place, but this is different. We are losing students here! I suspect that the disappearances are the work of some sinister group or deranged individual. What I didn't know was that some people who would be far from defenseless appear to have gone missing as well.

I can prepare a spell of scrying to attempt to find one of the missing individuals, or at least get some clues. If it works, perhaps we can work together to attempt a rescue. Of course, if the people have been murdered, or powerful magic prevents scrying, then another approach will be needed.

In any case, I am willing to help."
    Last edited by kinem; 2017-01-27 at 09:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

The last one at the scene, Ketra realizes a bit too late that she should have asked someone there about Seti. She was tempted to follow the group back to the House of Knowledge... but they seemed more upstanding. Less likely to to know where to find someone of his position. She would rather not tarry. Going to her original destination- The Bitter Coffee- she steps in, rushing but not running, looking for someone who might be in the know, to ask if Seti had been there recently. Not mentioning she hadn't met him.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: Rothen walks up to the painting of Lady Keéra, who funded the school and stares at it for a few seconds in pensive thought.

"We have seen the roster, Travis. More and more people are going missing in The Mercy. More than is usually the case. Senerain and I would love to join you in this endeavor. It is what Borazon would have wanted..."

The Suloise archer looks at his comrade and the Arcanamach slumps in the chair, a feeling of defeat washing over her. A strange spectacle, since Senerain is rather strong willed and rarely if ever puts her guard down.

"A deranged individual, you say? That would not be a first. Travis, Raikou, Aren... if you wish to help find these people, I will move worlds to see that all of you are well paid. That is my promise as acting church leader in The Mercy.

Travis, use your skills to locate any one of those gone missing. If your suspicion is true, then finding one, may lead you to all the others. Senerain and I will...""

@Aren, Raikou & Travis: Rothen lowers his head and shuts his eyes as a grimace draws across his face.

"Senerain, we have a visitor. Dalpinian is on his way to see how the new church is coming along.""

The Arcanamach gets up and looks at the door.

"But we don't have anything to show him yet! Why is he coming so soon?""

"Because he has nothing better to do. Connor must've loosened his leash. Everyone, we will meet with the inquisitor outside this school- I don't want him coming in here and inciting more bad blood. That smug bastard loves making fun of the Mercyfolk and he never comes alone.

I leave this in your hands, then. Come along, my friend.""

And having said that, both Suloise warriors leave the three of you in Hannah's office.

How to proceed? Who knows, but it would seem Rothen has deputized you to see into these matters.

@Ketra: With the who's who in The Mercy gone to the school house, you decide not to join them and head towards the Bitter Coffee.

People still look at you funny as you walk past them. Many people in The Mercy were once, like you, from the City of Power. many forced to move here because their money ran out and their meager wages were no match for Connor's obscene tax raises.

Many of these people have seen your proud flock soar above the City for years... when flying free as a bird was a natural thing.

Today, it gets you bound in iron clasps, like some animal.

The Bitter Coffee doesn't have that many patrons. That girl, Isobel and her dog have taken to one of the tables and the woman barely acknowledges you as the minutes turn into hours and a strange dressed man walks up to her table and have a quick chat before all three- dog included- part ways.

But no sign of this Seti fellow Eoil mentioned. He's supposed to be some big shot here in the Mercy. A man that can get things done... or possibly undo them.

It is then, as you daydream on how to get Soss back that a short figure props herself on the chair opposite you and hands you a cup of coffee with an enticing butterscotch scent.

This is Nana Rose, the gnome proprietress of this fine establishment.

"A pretty lady all alone? It's dangerous out here. Have my caramel latte. It's a new flavor I've been working on. On the house.""

Nana takes out a pipe and lights it as she looks at the few patrons here.

"So how's life in The Mercy? I saw your family fly over the wall a few weeks ago. Nobody's giving you trouble, I hope?""

It is then that Kyle, one of Nana's baristas, walks outside as people are heard running down the streets. He peeks outside and then looks back in.

"Cudgel, Nana.""

The few patrons in the pub get extremely nervous as the gnome woman, aged way more than her kind ought to be, smiles at you and gives you a wink as she gets up.

"Enjoy your coffee, dear. This won't last long.""

Nana Rose and Kyle walk behind the counter and the gnome grabs a stool on which to stand on as heavy footsteps can be heard outside as a garrison of Royal Guards, bearing both the Airdan and the Cuthbertine seal nearly break the door as they invade the Bitter Coffee and form a regimented phalanx, shoving the patrons around and forcing them to scoot their tables and lower their heads, lest they catch their attention and be dragged away.

It is a set of lighter footsteps that herald the coming of another figure:

"This is the second time I have to come to this rat hole you people call an inn. Is it too much to ask for basic sanitation? I could have an inspector come here anytime, you know?""

You have seen this man before: Inquisitor Dalpinian.

When Keros Feldspar realized that keeping Vaea was impossible due to your actions, he went to Connor to seek out "justice and retribution".

These lofty concepts came in the form of a man- inquisitor Dalpinian, Connor's protege. This cowardly worm, always protected by Halmathan's mightiest soldiers, was the one who oversaw the binding of your people in the City of Power.

It was during Celitas' binding that the bastard is said to have asked for the iron bands to be pressed even harder, forcing your mother to kneel from the pain.

Animals are supposed to look up at their masters. Never forget that. Guards! Make sure the others are tagged and numbered.

He may not recognize you now, with his attention directed at Nana and Kyle, but you could probably blast him and his guards right out of the Bitter Coffee. A well deserved shot.

But the aftermath would be unthinkable given his rank in the City's oppressive regime.

"Where is that backwards hunter? Rothen? I gave explicit instructions! I represent His Holiness and cannot be made to wait in a cesspool like this!""

Nana does her best to smile and pours Dalpinian a cup of coffee.

"It's on the house, inquisitor. The finest beverage for a man of your regal standing. I call it Pisse de serpent. I brew it from the finest ingredients: A dash of Ignorance, a pinch of Idiocy- although in this case I was overly generous with that one- and a sprinkle of blind zealotry. Perfect for the up and coming Law enforcers of our fair city.""

Dalpinian clenches his fist and looks at one of his heavily armored guards to stand between him and the counter as he looks over the soldier's shoulder.

"Be mindful of your words, you gnome crone! You beggars and cutthroats have enjoyed your life of lawlessness for way too long. Where is Rothen of Suel and his warrior witch?""

You need to get your goons out of here, Dalpinian.

Connor's star pupil turns around and you can see Rothen and Senerain, who plays with the hilt of her blade, ready to draw it at any time.

Dalpinian smiles like the snake he is and looks around at the crowd, their heads lowered in fear.

"About time, Merciful Father. We have business to discuss. I am a very busy man and cannot stay in this hell hole your superior chose as a home."

Rothen sighs and gestures to the door.

"We can talk at the site. Let's go.""

Dalpinian looks at Nana and Kyle.

"Enjoy your little slice of brigand paradise, gnome. Very soon, His Holiness will make sure you are all put in your rightful place! Guards! Make sure none of these low lives brush against me.""

And so, in tight formation, the Royal Guard escorts the inquisitor outside and tension decreases at the Bitter Coffee as Nana shakes her head and goes back to your table.

"Quite a catch he is, huh? Sorry you had to see that. That worm comes in to meet with Rothen. Poor guy- thrown into Connor's politics.

So.. what brings you here and alone? The coffee isn't that great.""

14. - Top - End - #44

Ketra graciously accepts the offered coffee and takes a small sip. "Thank you... Nana Rose? I believe I've overheard that name as the owner of this place. And thankfully, no, no trouble yet. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later, from what I've seen and heard, but I'll enjoy the peace while it lasts." She keeps drinking her coffee as the proprietress walks away, but she nearly chokes a moment later.

Him.

It took every ounce of restraint to not let loose every bit of magic she had into his disgusting frame. She knew everyone in her flock would suffer if she did- they were an easy target for the Eyes in their aerie, and she'd already made them suffer enough with her escalation with Teros. She wouldn't lose them like she lost...

Ketra chugs down the rest of her coffee. It's a waste, she enjoyed the taste she had, but she needed to keep her head focused and not give in to her temper. As he walked out and Rose returned, she had at least regained enough composure to fake the rest. "Who knows, maybe he'll meet someone, and they'll sweep him away. Far, far, away, preferably. Another plane should do." She grins wryly, a bit of her anger slipping through. "I'm looking for Seti, if you've seen him recently. A mutual friend suggested I talk to him, and told me he comes here often."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

@Ketra: A storm is building up within your body as the coffee begins to swirl on the cup's surface and everyone becomes blurred, except for Dalpinian, who emits blood red flames, eager to be quenched by your power, which is ready to burst at the seams.

There is only a prey and predator now in the room.

And although you could send this miserable bastard flying several blocks away and then pursue as a beast and rip his throat under the sun, you take a deep breath and watch Rothen come to the rescue as he leads the inquisition outside the pub.

The maelstrom inside you recedes... if only a tad, as Nana comes back to check on you.

"Heh. That is a nice thought. To think that a pencil neck like him has been promoted to second in command in Connor's corrupt regime. He is nothing but a puppet, dear. A puppet whose strings are pulled by a fool who, in this barista's humble opinion, has been in power for waaaay too long.

And that plane idea? I like it! Very creative. One day, if people rally up and stop fighting each other here, you may just get your wish. But for now, we must all make a living and make the best out of what Fate has handed us.

So you are looking for Seti... I see. Not someone who is sought out out of the blue. I will not pry further on why you want to see him, but you are welcome to stay here and wait for him.

A word of advice: chances are he'll find you first. If you're hungry, I can have Kyle cook something for you while you wait. The food isn't the greatest, but I have some gnome recipes that will make anything taste like ambrosia.""

Nana gets up and looks at at you straight in the eye and winks.

"You'll do just fine here. Be strong, Ketra.""

@Seti: With Spooner gone to run his own investigations, you find yourself walking back towards the market place when instinct takes over and you slide into the shadows of an alley.

City Guards here? And with an inquisitor in their midst? And even better:

Rothen and Seberain leading them out of the Bitter Coffee.

Is it true then, what Sedge mentioned? That the church of Phaulkon is backed by Connor? Those are not normal guards. those are the ones that serve the Royal family. No ordinary grunts. In fact, these guys are the same order Kyle belonged to and you can count at least a dozen.

But what on Oerth where they doing here and in the Bitter Coffee, no less?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Seti rolls the silver piece across his knuckles before having it disappear into the folds of cloth encircling his body. So, Tipsy Hat was likely dealing in some heavy contraband, maybe even weaponry. Cutting in on the Gardeners like that is not only disorderly it was disrespectful not to mention dangerous. Rules. Order. to an outsider they saw the Mercy as a anarchic cesspool of lawless thugs, thieves and criminals. But that was only partially true. For its many failings there is one thing the Society brought a semblance of to the Mercy, and that was Order. There were rules, limits and what resulted from that was some semblance of stability. He would head to the Bitter and wait for Draken, who was bound to turn up at some point, get something to eat, and plan how best to approach the Raptorans maybe Nana knew something about this 'Ketra' or ' Celitas'.

Lost in his thoughts he barely managed to dodge the guard. What were they doing at the Bitter Coffee. Where they coming to get reports from the Suloise? Or issue orders? Seti waited for them to pass before making his way towards the Coffee at a more brisk pace. While in the shadows he returned his clothes and appearance to normal,returned his mug to its place in the magical belt and set off to see that Nana and the Coffee were both unmolested by that Cudgel crony. Or so he hoped.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-01-28 at 04:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

@Seti: The silver, rightfully earned, slips through your knuckles before disappearing altogether.

Someone is running a big arms deal in the Mercy and none in The Society seem to be in the know.

Or if they are, those that know got greedy, which comes as no surprise.

At its core, the society is supposed to bring stability to The Mercy. Order.

Sure, like the old saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the..." however that old saying goes. Point is, you all bring order to the Mercy. there are rules. Yes, some people end in the wrong end of the deal. This happens. It's normal.

You can only place so much order in a place that has been plagued by scumbags for generations, though. It's a grueling and daunting task but somebody's gotta do it, right?

And there is no way... absolutely NO way, that an arms deal that big has gone unnoticed by at least one of The Society's factions.

Question is who and also what are these weapons. Because if it's a handful of blades, every single member and their mother has one. It would be a short coup. A bloody one, too.

Hopefully Spooner may be able to track them down and then you can go dispense some good old fashioned Mercy Justice.

Which then leads you to Drakan.

What did he pickpocket off that drunken fool? He was quick to take off when the halfling crash landed hours ago. You need to find him or wait for the guy to get thirsty and visit the Bitter Coffee.

You're getting that trinket from him. That's a done deal. It's just a matter of when and how.

And then your mind wanders into the matter of raptorans Celitas and Ketra, the Halmathan escapees.

You have had to muscle people before. It usually takes a light squeeze to their windpipe and they're emptying their pockets down to the last ball of lint.

You have seen raptorans- agile fliers. Thin bones to propel their builds across the air currents of the city.

Hopefully these are cooperative: snapping a neck as an intro is a bad sign for good business.

And that';s when your body reacts before your mind and you find yourself hiding in the shadows as the Cuthbertine Guard, straight from the City itself, makes its way out of the Bitter Coffee, with Rothen and Senerain in toll.

What the hell are those guys doing here? Taxing the Mercy now?

You wait a few minutes until the armed group leaves the immediate area and hustle towards the Bitter Coffee...

Hopefully Nana is safe. Kyle, well... he can fend for his own or at least protect her.

And he better have.

And as you walk in, the few patrons look at you for a few seconds before resuming their meals, cheap and from made from mystery meat.

Nana is fine, seated at one of the tables with that raptoran from earlier. The one who landed amidst the crowd at the market.

The gnome looks at you and quickly darts her eyes towards the lady bird before turning to talk to her again.

@Ketra: Nana turns towards the door and smiles as she looks at you and pats your hand.

"I'll get you a sandwich, dear. On the house.""

As Nana gets up, you take a look at the newcomer:

A disheveled human. Most likely a commoner or, in the worst of cases, a beggar, what with all that mangy hair...

But something's different about this guy as he walks in a semi drunken state, yet flawlessly around the tables, never once bumping into anyone.

18. - Top - End - #48

Ketra offers a genuine smile to Nana Rose. One of her few since arriving in the Mercy. "Thank you, that sounds wonderful." She's extraordinarily kind. Too kind, for a place like this.

"If you ever need any help at all, let me know. Aside from the obvious-" She flutters her wings. "-I studied with the Ehlonnan druids. I'm not one of them, but."

Her gaze turns to the drunken beggar. It takes all kinds, she supposes, in a place like this. What did he used to be, to keep this grace even like this? Maybe he had a story to tell.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Seti makes his way to the bar, well if today wasn't turning out to be 'one of those days', was that... a Raptoran and if he wasn't mistaken it was one the one who landed in the market. Maybe she would know how he could get in touch with Ketra or Celitas. First a silver piece than a bird plumb in his nest.

Seti sidles up to the bar next to the Raptoran. He raises a finger of one hand up to towards Nana and plucks a silver piece out between two fingers of the other slapping it on the bar with a satisfying click.
    Spoiler: Gnome
    Show
    Something to eat for me and my feathered guest here and something for two of us drink, a private booth if one's available as well.
    he winksat Kyle as he slides the silver piece towards Nana.

"Saw your old mates outside. Came to pay you respects did they? Late on your dues to the King's Club?" without waiting for an answer he immediately swivels to his left to face Ketra, "Seti. I am most pleased to meet you Lady..." he says, a broad warm smile lighting his face as he extends his hand to the Raptoran.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Trying to be Charming - (1d20+10)[30]

20. - Top - End - #50

Ketra's gaze stays locked on the stranger, startled by his sudden shift in demeanor. But when he begins to talk, Ketra can't help but feel at easy. It had to be a defense mechanism of his, nothing more. And who should it be but the man who she came here to meet- Seti. She takes his hand and shakes it, smiling. "Ketra. But no 'Lady', please, you're the second person today to do that. It's kind of strange, especially around here. And I'd say you're a hard man to find, Seti, but considering you just walked right over, it'd be a lie." She tilts her head and looks back at him. "It can't be a coincidence, though, that you'd come right over to me. I suppose we must both have a reason to talk to each other."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Seti takes the Raptoran's hand as he listens, wait what was that? She was looking for him. It really was one of those days. "So, Miss Ketra, was. Or just Ketra." he says with a wide grin on his face.

"You may not believe this but I think I have just been spared a trip to the Royal Wyvern Apartments. I have, in deed, been very much looking forward to seeing you. If you would be so gracious as to join me some where a little more..." he casts a quick sideways glance at Kyle, "...private. Or if you would rather finish your sandwich" he continues indicating the plate in front of her, "or if you're busy..." he leans neck raising both of his hands up to his shoulders palms outward, "I could come back and sit with you later, or if you would prefer I might visit you at your place?"

He leans his right arm on the bar propping up his head against his hand while moving his hair from his face with the other and tucking it behind his ears. "Take your time." he finishes still smiling.

22. - Top - End - #52

"Let me finish this, then we can move somewhere else- I would hate for Kyle's cooking to go to waste, it's delicious." She takes another bite of her sandwich, continuing after she's done swallowing it. "I'm definitely not busy, I came here hoping to find you. A mutual friend told me you were the person to talk to for help with something."

Finishing up her sandwich, she smiles and quietly slips a gold coin under the plate. It's not much, but it's the least she can do for Nana Rose's kindness. She stands up and waits for Seti to lead onwards. "Shall we?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Aren bows to the two Sulinese as they leave. It remains to be seen if such courtesies are warranted, but until otherwise demonstrated, they serve a God of Goodwill, if not a civilized one. She turns to Raikou and Travis, “Well, it would seem there is some cleaning up to do here. I did not come here for this specific purpose, but I do see the need to get things a bit more stable. If we can make a dent in the local banditry, then we will have done a good day’s work.”

The Raptoren loosens the long sword at her side a bit from its sheath and runs her thumb along the keen edge. “So, I’m new here, any idea where we should start? We need some targets. There must be some folks here who would be happy to see things in better order. They should be able to point us int the right direction. Anyone have a suggestion?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

@Seti: Kyle brings over what looks like a BLT sandwich to the raptoran Ketra and smiles as you bring up his past.

"That's very clever, Seti. How's the shake downs going today?""

Kyle nods to Ketra and walks back towards the counter as he mumbles a few last words towards you.

"Is that thug code still in place? I hope it is...""

You'll have to straighten Kyle up later. He probably has some of his crew lounging around the Bitter Coffee. Getting the jump on him won't be as easy in broad daylight, but once night falls...

At any rate, you do have a shake down to make- and she's enjoying a sandwich.

How to go about this? The Society will definitely want their cut, never mind yours. Bunch of Raptorans from the City had to bring along some jewelry and coin.

Subtlety is key here.

@Ketra: It's a good thing Kyle put the mayo on the side.

Who knows how old it is and judging by the assortment of food offered at the market, chances are that dressing will have you keeling over in a few minutes.

Still, the sandwich is good. Not great, but good. It was a wise move from your mother to have those hanging gardens around the Wyvern- in a few months and with good rain, you and your people will have ample food to keep you all healthy and strong to survive in this place.

And as you munch down the meal, you take a look at this Seti guy:

Some haggard looking, crazy haired beggar by the looks of it. But looks can be deceiving.

Swift vouches for him and the elf did snap off those bindings... for a fee.

But if you want Soss back, this guy seems to be your only contact right now.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Aren, Raikou & Travis

Travis thanks Senerain and Rothen as they leave, then looks over his two new potential allies.

"I'd appreciate any help you offer. I realize that both of you are new to the Mercy. I'll point out what I can as it comes up, though I am by no means the most streetwise person. Suffice it to say that here, many came to escape oppressive laws, but there is also a shortage of more useful laws. There are some good people here, some who fight for justice either with force of arms or like Hannah through other means.

If we are to work together, I think we should first, well first we should get some healing for you, Raikou, if you still feel the effects. Thankfully you don't seem seriously injured, but if we end up in a fight any battering you took could take a toll.

I think we should explain a bit about our skills to each other. I have had good training as a wizard, though certainly am not yet a great master of the art. One of the most powerful spells I can prepare is that of teleportation. I can transport up to three people plus myself, if I have a good image of the destination. It can be risky especially if the image I have isn't that good. Yet together with a spell of scrying, it could offer us a way to reach one of the victims if he is still alive. We must decide if we should bring along some other ally as the third passenger. If that Ilumian Kyrich were around I might suggest him, but I don't know how to reach him.

It would take me a couple of hours to prepare new spells, and another hour to cast the scrying spell. It is one thing we can try, though if you have another idea I'm all ears.

By the way the Bitter Coffee is something of a local gathering point; you never know who will show up there."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Seti considers nicking the gold, only for a second, and then thinks better of it,Once Ketra has finished eating he grabs his plate and sandwich and finds a place near the corner, "If you would Ketra, right this way," he jerks his head towards anyone sitting near the corner table letting them know they need to relocate. He then hooks the chair with his foot slides it out and takes a seat placing the plate on the table and his back to the corner, so he can keep an eye on the room while they talk.

"So." he says picking up the sandwich and taking a bite, "it would seem we are in need of one another, and that fate has smiled upon, and united us." He smiles as he wipes some crumbs from the corner of his mouth. "I am sorry for any hardships you experienced across the wall that brought you and your people here. I know this is not what most of you would consider good living" he continues sweeping a hand across the room, "or maybe even living at all," he takes another bite and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. "but it is our life, and one we try to make the best of. We are family here, Ketra." Seti brings a earthenware mug up from under the table and mumbles something while he does so.

"It may not seem it to you, but we take care of each other here. Just like family does. You have any siblings?" he takes a sip from the cup which seems to have some deep red or burgundy liquid in it. "I had a sister. Niffah. She would be... ...twenty-four, maybe twenty-five." He starts picking pieces of the bread off from his sandwich and dropping them on his plate looking down, "she'd tease me, even beat me up, but..." He looks up from the table and straight into Ketra's eyes, "If anyone else even looked at me wrong, she was on them like wild cat." Seti picks up the mug and empties its contents in one long chug, he wipes his mouth again with the back of his hand and places the mug back under the table.

"That's family." he pushes the plate off to the side and leans in over the table close to Ketra, "looking in from the outside you might just see some girl beating the tar out of her little brother, but..." he raises a finger up, "... she loves him, maybe more than she loves herself, and she would die." he slams his hand down on the table causing the plate to rattle, "to make sure her little brother lived." Seti leans back in his chair throwing his hair back with one hand, and smiling at the Raptoran. There is a slight glint, a shimmer in his eyes.

"That's us." he says spreading his arms out over the Mercy, "we may not look it but we are family. We may beat up on each other, have salty words, but in the end, we watch out for each other. We take care of each other, because that's what family does. And you..." he says putting his hand on Ketra's hand. "...you and your group, you are family now too." Seti slides his hand back across the table. And leans back against the wall, "but I am sorry, look at me, I've gone on and on, please you had mentioned you wanted to see me about something, you need help? Well go on, let me know what you need, that's what family is for." Seti smiles as he looks at the Raptoran and waits to see what she says.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-01-29 at 12:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

As Senerain and Rothen depart the room, Raikou is left in silence for a bit wondering what to do next. Lady Choralis had sent him here with a purpose and he was already unable to complete half of her request. Tonel was already dead, and Archadious was nowhere to be found. The people here he had met so far seemed nice though. Kyrich the muscley bald warrior, and the two church people.

Perhaps for now the best thing to do would be stick around and learn a little more about the Mercy, make himself useful and help people here. Maybe in the process he might find out more about what had happened to this famous wizard.

The halfling turns to look and realizes that there are still two others in the room with him. The regal-looking bird-lady and the jumpy guy in robes.

Raikou stands up in his seat and leans against the back of the chair and grins at both.

An interesting place you got here. It's no Sea of Sands or Ossian Way I'll tell you that but it's something. My name is Raikou, Raikou Stormborn although I think you might have both heard that back in the marketplace too.

Seems like you guys both just heard why I'm here and seems like you guys probably don't know much more about this Archadious guy than I do?

But first... what are your names?

The friendly halfling hops up onto the table and bounces over to where Travis is sitting and drops down into a seated position on the table edge next to him.

That Ross guy said your name is Travis...? I don't know if I'll remember that. You seem like kind of a jumpy guy, how about I call you Jumpy?

Then Raikou turns his head to look at Aren.

And you are Aren? I think I like the name Angel since you kinda look like an angel with a beak.

Anyways Jumpy, you were saying?

The halfling gets up again and moves over to his elemental familiar and takes a relaxed position ontop his friend while he listens to Travis's suggestions.

So basically this place is kind of a slum? No laws. And there's people going missing? That doesn't sound good. Never a good thing when people are disappearing left and right. The guy I'm looking for, my master has already tried diving for him and that hasn't worked. She has a lot of pretty powerful magic so if she can't find him with divinations, then that's probably not going to work for us either.
    But maybe it might work for some of these other missing people, and if we find them, we can find him.

So you're a wizard Jumpy? Just like that Archadious guy.

As for me? I'm a sorcerer. Just show me the bad guys and I'll show them the Thunder.

He grins again at that last statement.

It's at this moment that the air elemental grunts. Raikou's grin turns into a frown as he looks down.

Spoiler: in Auran
    Show
    What is it? What do you want?

You going to introduce me?

Be patient jeez. I was getting to that...

With an annoyed look, Raikou gestures down to his floating recliner.

And this little airhead here is my friend Cyrus. He doesn't talk much unless you know Auran. He helps me move around quickly.
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2017-01-29 at 02:47 AM.
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: Raikou Stormborn, the sorcerer...

As a Runestone graduate, you have been blessed not only with the best mentors Oerth could offer, but you have also had a chance to experience arcane diversity.

Runestone Academy prides itself in that, as a matter of fact. Over the years, you have shared classes with not only scholarly wizards, but with bards and even warlocks as well. Outside regular classes, in campus grounds, these tend to form cliques, which is expected, since everyone claims that their own version of The Art is the true version.

Of course, as a conjurer, you know that, although they do have certain tricks up their sleeve, you can outdo them. This has been ingrained not by the teachers- since at least one of them is a sorceress herself- but by your tight niche back in school.

However, for all the books and hours spent by candle light learning spell after spell, sorcerers always seem to get a slight upper hand. This has been demonstrated in duels back during your early formation years at the Academy.

And then there are those sorcerers that harness the elements themselves to an almost religious degree- The Stormcasters.

These arcanists are known for having an explosive temper. Like a billowing storm, they usually come off as a gentle breeze, but if angered or pushed to the limits of manic euphoria... watch out.

A single stormcaster can lay waste to an entire city block, and that's at a novice level. Never mind those that focus enough to unravel the mysteries of Lightning itself.

In fact, it was said that after the events of the Vile Rain, Connor is said to have placed the blame on Runestone, stating- and this has yet to be proven as fact- that:

I would not be surprised that those vile devil worshippers at Runestone have harnessed fell lightning form Hell itself, aided by those fiendish Stormcasters they keep as weapons of mass destruction!

Whether he actually said that, nobody knows, What is known is that the druids in Glenndale Park paid dearly for that freak storm, but the power of a sorcerer that can channel such elemental font is not a caster to be taken lightly.

And if Raikou is on your aide, who knows:

You could very well get rid of several guilds on one day, starting with those damn Rooster Boys.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis says "Jumpy, am I? Well, maybe anyone who lives in the Mercy soon learns to be jumpy. All the more reason that I'm glad to have someone like you on my side. All of you.

I am Travis Wood. I studied wizardry at Runestone Academy. Archaidous was a student there as well, more recently than I was, but I didn't really know him.

Nice to meet you, Cyrus.

Yes, I hope to find all of the missing, but we'll see what happens. If my scrying fails, we can still try other approaches, but what? I mean, I could walk the streets at night hoping to get kidnapped, but that approach would seem to have its downsides.

Aren, what is your perspective? And, where did you come from, if you don't mind me asking?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Aren looks at the two folk, “Angel? Well I suppose it is better than Devil, but Aren will do nicely. It was the name given me by my parents, who are long dead. I would ask you to honor them in using it please.”

“Travis, Raikou and Cyrus it is good to meet you.” Aren bows slightly to the three. “I am from a place called the Empire of Iuz. It is a place much worse than this, but we do survive there.”

“I have come on orders, and that is all I am free to disclose, but I do have discretion within those orders to assist in worthy tasks. I would deem this as such and so am willing to help as I can.”

Aren looks at them with a more discerning eye then after a couple seconds she states, “I have the ability to cast divine spells as well as in might of arms. It is my privilege to combine both in the service of my Lord Heironeous.”

“We should try diving what information we can. I do not think that getting yourself kidnapped is a solid plan, though a brave one. There should be some who can help. Perhaps among the Raptorens, or perhaps the Sueloniese might have a suggestion. Is there a meeting place where folk of good will gather? a council or something?

Spoiler: Discerning eye
    Show

When Aren looks at them for a few seconds she is detecting evil.
    Last edited by Frendle; 2017-01-29 at 06:49 PM.