New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    That reminds me: Don't most devices in SR charge through the grid? I know most of the high-discharge items like flash-paks and stun rods can charge up via induction while wireless (some kind of energy transfer through the matrix I think?), so most items should be getting power that way. I recall hearing lore about this, but I don't remember what it was exactly.
    Yep. So running down the battery on your gun means going somewhere completely off the grid. Its a good justification for why you don't have to worry about Comlink or Deck battery life though (except that would make for some interesting rules for runs.)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Having firearms that stop working because you forgot to plug then in to a charger last night isn't a selling point for most of the gun owners I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I'm assuming that they're running off hydrogen batteries that require maybe need replacing once every few years
    That reminds me: Don't most devices in SR charge through the grid?
    We have wireless charging tech now, so I've always run my SR games with the idea that most commonly bought clothing have integrated circuits that convert body heat into a tiny electrical current. This current can be wired into gloves which in turn recharges your commlink and weapons just by holding them or keeping them in a holster/pocket. The current isn't enough to harm you if you fall into a pool of water, however. Wet clothes simply 'turn off' until dry. It may be a slow charge, but it would be constant as long as you have the devices on you.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It's also worth mentioning that device-owners who don't want to be online can simply turn the wireless off with a simple action. No modification required.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    4e also says you can simply turn off wireless for almost any item -- and you should, so that you're not spewing data randomly during a sensitive part of a run. If you absolutely need communication from one device to another, as for smartgun operation, you can add a skinlink to each item so they're not using 'the airwaves'.
    For 4e there's also the (highly, highly recommended) option of skinlink.

Quote Originally Posted by SR4E20-P328
    Typically used with commlinks, these accessories are compatible with any electronic device...

...Though limited to touch, skinlink communication has the advantage of being protected from signal interception or jamming.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

2E/3E Question: Say your buddy the Street Sam took 7 boxes of damage (from multiple wounds). That's considered Serious Damage, right? Target number of 8 for first aid tests (7, since he's got a Body of 5)

After the battle, the rigger gets a single success with her Biotech skill, which reduces the damage by one wound category. How many boxes of damage does that remove? Is it just enough to get it to the next lower category? That would be two boxes (5 is Moderate, 6 is Serious). Is it enough to reach the lowest level for the next lower category (Moderate starts at 3 boxes, so the first aid would heal four boxes of damage)?

My first thought was to heal the amount of the next lower wound category (Moderate, 3 boxes in this case), leaving the Sammy at 4 boxes of damage, in the moderate category. But if I took a moderate wound (3 boxes), the next lower category is Light (1 box), which would leave me at two boxes of damage, which is still Moderate damage. If I'd taken 9 boxes of damage, that would leave me at 6 total, which is still Serious damage.

Maybe the difference between the current and the next higher level (at Serious damage, that'd be 10-6=4 boxes; and Moderate, that'd be 6-3=3 boxes). But then you could go from 6 boxes to 2 boxes, bypassing Moderate damage entirely.

Healing spells are easy - each success heals 1 box of damage. First Aid and natural healing are trickier (2E: p115 - 117; 3E p126-127, 129).

Edit:

Okay, I think I found the answer. In 1E and 2E, when your damage is reduced to the next lower level, you are reduced to the minimum number of boxes in that level. So improving 1 level from 9 boxes (Serious) leaves you at 3 boxes (Moderate). It's not spelled out explicitly for the First Aid section, but in the general healing section (1E: p142 under "Getting Better"; 2E p113 and 3E p127 under "Stages of Healing").
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-12-22 at 03:20 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Do dragons (dracoforms, greater and/or lesser) have the ability (in any Edition of the rules) have the ability to take on human form? In the 1E adventure Bottled Demon, a Greater dracoform takes on human form (this isn't really a spoiler, as the dragon in question walks right up to the runners and announces that they are a dragon the first time they meet). But nowhere in the Critter section have I seen anything about dragons being able to polymorph to human form. I mean, Turn Being to Goo, sure. But not polymorph.

I'm not going to throw a fit or anything, instead just assuming that GMs can add any abilities they choose to individual Greater Dragons. But if they were ever officially given that ability, it would be nice to know.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #337
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Do dragons (dracoforms, greater and/or lesser) have the ability (in any Edition of the rules) have the ability to take on human form? In the 1E adventure Bottled Demon, a Greater dracoform takes on human form (this isn't really a spoiler, as the dragon in question walks right up to the runners and announces that they are a dragon the first time they meet). But nowhere in the Critter section have I seen anything about dragons being able to polymorph to human form. I mean, Turn Being to Goo, sure. But not polymorph.

I'm not going to throw a fit or anything, instead just assuming that GMs can add any abilities they choose to individual Greater Dragons. But if they were ever officially given that ability, it would be nice to know.
    Well, SR4A, p 304, under Great Dragons' entry, specifically calls out Metahuman Form as an ability that Greats get. Non-great dragons can learn spells etc to look like people, but for them it's not an innate ability.

Looking in my nearly-worn-out copy of SR2, there is no mention of Metahuman Form under dragons, Great or not.

...and in SR3, p. 268, the Great Dragon entry mentions that "at least some" Greats can turn into people, like Dunkelzahn was wont to do as a specific example. It's not called out as a specific power, though. OTOH, IIRC, Dunkelzahn was known to turn into a person in SR2.

Sooooo...yes, it's a thing.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

In 5e at least there were form changing spells. And they were fun too. Outside of that *shrug* because half the time the instructions seem to be that they can do whatever is plot convient.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    Sooooo...yes, it's a thing.
    I recall Dunkelzahn giving his convertible to someone who had their previous car crushed under a large chunk of building rooftop when big D had an itch. This would presumably indicate he did have the ability to turn into a metahuman so he could drive/ride in it... ah here's the entry:

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn's Will
    To the owner of the sky-blue Chrysler-Nissan Jackrabbit that was crushed by a falling chunk of plascrete on October 26, 2045, I leave my 1964-1/2 candy-apple red Ford Mustang convertible. Sorry for the inconvenience—I had an itch that I couldn’t reach and caught the corner of the building with my claw.

Also, if my memory still serves me, Big D had stepped into his presidential limo on inauguration night before exploding. I would also presume he was in metahuman form to get into a limo to begin with...
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2017-12-25 at 11:48 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

In the Shadowrun novels Dragons often turn up in human form. While in early editions they didn't have any power for it it was assumed any Dragon worth his hoard could cast a Shape Shift spell to do it.
    Interestingly as I believe, away from books at the moment, they still had the Hardened Armour power even in human form they could still bounce bullets off themselves
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

A while back (2-3 years ago, IIRC), I found some house rules for the AresTM Barton Bow System, a Shadowrun version of Hawkeye's (Marvel Avengers) bow. It had a quiver that held a bunch of shafts and a bunch of arrowheads, and combined the two in time for you to draw and fire. Now I can't remember where I found it. Anyone else stumble across this item while cruising the matrix?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Well there is this

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...stions)/page27

Third post down

Apologies if this isn't what you wanted but it is from several years ago so it seemed possible you'd forgotten about it
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2017-12-28 at 09:50 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Well there is this

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...stions)/page27

Third post down

Apologies if this isn't what you wanted but it is from several years ago so it seemed possible you'd forgotten about it
    Yeah, pretty sure that was it.

Thanks!

I was mostly interested in how the Stick'N'Shock arrowheads were described. A max-strength troll with Muscle Augmentation IV could get some pretty serious penetration with this, and if Stick'N'Shock arrowheads just convert the Physical Damage to Stun/Shock, it'd be pretty difficult to resist. From what I've seen, though, Stick'n'Shock ammo in general has a set strength value of about 8. And discussions about how there are two components of Stun Baton/Shock Glove damage makes me think that getting a 20S shock effect from this thing is not really what was intended.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-12-28 at 01:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, pretty sure that was it.

Thanks!

I was mostly interested in how the Stick'N'Shock arrowheads were described. A max-strength troll with Muscle Augmentation IV could get some pretty serious penetration with this, and if Stick'N'Shock arrowheads just convert the Physical Damage to Stun/Shock, it'd be pretty difficult to resist. From what I've seen, though, Stick'n'Shock ammo in general has a set strength value of about 8. And discussions about how there are two components of Stun Baton/Shock Glove damage makes me think that getting a 20S shock effect from this thing is not really what was intended.
    Stick'n'shock gets weird, as do all the Shadowrun weapons that deliver a shock charge. I think the best bet is two, simultaneous damage resistance checks... one against the impact, the other against the shock, and simultaneous so the one doesn't impede the other.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Firbolg in the Playground

Today I realized that in Shadowrun 5e, the cost of a Move-By-Wire system at rating 1 is exactly the same as the Skillwires system it emulates. Move-By-Wire 2 is actually cheaper than Wired Reflexes 2, gives dramatically improved initiative, and includes a free Skillwires 4 valued at 2/3rds the cost of the final system. This just leads me to wonder how the pricing of skillwires got so borked that a freaking Move-By-Wire is the only truly cost-effective way to give them to a runner.

...Or a very cheap method of imparting skillwires and combat stats for corps. Huh. Well, this explains the high Forbidden ratings, at least. Mitsuhama didn't want anyone else getting access to their Zero Zone tech, where every wageslave has a cheap Wireless Reflexes along with wirelessly imparted combat skills. (Along with the mandatory Jazz popper under the desk, natch.) Make it so illegal that not even the other corps want to risk installing it, and no one sees it coming...
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2017-12-29 at 06:14 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Move-by-Wire still cause seizures TLE-x and CCSS? I know it did in 2E (Cybertechnology p54-55). That drawback could account for some of the cost difference...

17. - Top - End - #347
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Does Move-by-Wire still cause seizures TLE-x and CCSS? I know it did in 2E (Cybertechnology p54-55). That drawback could account for some of the cost difference...
    I don't recall any mention of it, but it's been a long time.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It still is a constant state of seizure in 5e, with random twitching causing a penalty to social limit. Chrome flesh mentions the seizures on page 84. Move-By-Wire is cheaper than wired reflexes, but has higher availability and costs way more essence.

Move-by-wire doesn't always cause TLE-x, which is presented as an optional negative quality.

I don't know what CCSS is. If you mean cyberpsychosis, that is also in chrome flesh as an optional negative quality.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2017-12-29 at 01:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349

It still is a constant state of seizure in 5e, with random twitching causing a penalty to social limit. Chrome flesh mentions the seizures on page 84. Move-By-Wire is cheaper than wired reflexes, but has higher availability and costs way more essence.

Move-by-wire doesn't always cause TLE-x, which is presented as an optional negative quality.

I don't know what CCSS is. If you mean cyberpsychosis, that is also in chrome flesh as an optional negative quality.
    Way more essence is a bit of an exaggeration. At rating 3, it's the same essence cost as Wired Reflexes, though admittedly at rating 1-2 it's one essence higher.

It does have a higher chance of TLE-x than other implants, though TLE-x is no longer Move-By-Wire exclusive. This does explain some of the price difference, but given the relatively low risk of TLE-x... I'm inclined to believe that was common in early experiments, and hyped up by Mitsuhama's PR team to dissuade other corps from investigating the tech. That said, the twitching is rather distinctive. I can see that as being a notable drawback to the average employee.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

CCSS is Catastrophic Clonic Seizure Syndrome. Your brain pretty much shuts down (other than maintaining basic organ functions). The Move-By-Wire system is toast, and needs to be removed, and you need to pass an unaugmented Body (5) test (2E rules) every hour or die if you're not undergoing treatment (which lasts a minimum number of weeks equal to 10 minus your natural body). Plus, your doctor needs to pass a Biotech/Cyberimplant Surgery (10) test or you will be a vegetable, even if you live. If your doc achieves 6 or more successes, you're still going to lose a point of Quickness and Willpower, and the results get worse the fewer successes you get.

Higher levels of Move-By-Wire test more often and with higher target numbers to avoid getting CCSS. Level 4 is a (Body+Willpower)/2 test every three months with a target number of 6. One success means TLE-x. Zero successes means CCSS.

On a completely un-related note, anyone want to help me name some drones? My rigger currently has three:

AeroDesign Systems Condor LDSD-23

MCT-Nissan RotoDrone

GM-Nissan "Doberman" Patrol Vehicle

I'd love some clever names for them.

21. - Top - End - #351

CCSS is Catastrophic Clonic Seizure Syndrome. Your brain pretty much shuts down (other than maintaining basic organ functions). The Move-By-Wire system is toast, and needs to be removed, and you need to pass an unaugmented Body (5) test (2E rules) every hour or die if you're not undergoing treatment (which lasts a minimum number of weeks equal to 10 minus your natural body). Plus, your doctor needs to pass a Biotech/Cyberimplant Surgery (10) test or you will be a vegetable, even if you live. If your doc achieves 6 or more successes, you're still going to lose a point of Quickness and Willpower, and the results get worse the fewer successes you get.

Higher levels of Move-By-Wire test more often and with higher target numbers to avoid getting CCSS. Level 4 is a (Body+Willpower)/2 test every three months with a target number of 6. One success means TLE-x. Zero successes means CCSS.
    Twenty years of development did sort that out, at least. Yeesh that sounds horrifying. Explains why they're less common; not many people volunteered to give it a shot previously, and the success stories are viewed as a time bomb. Explains why it's illegal to implant, but not why it's illegal to have... but eh, outlasted cyberware is a discussion to have with your GM anyways.

On a completely un-related note, anyone want to help me name some drones? My rigger currently has three:

AeroDesign Systems Condor LDSD-23

MCT-Nissan RotoDrone

GM-Nissan "Doberman" Patrol Vehicle

I'd love some clever names for them.
    I'd name them Pilgrim (because I misread that as Londor instead of Condor somehow); Triskelion; and C-SPOT (just to call out "C-SPOT attack!" in combat).
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2017-12-29 at 10:30 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a bit behind on 'Shadowrun' background and so have a question. I was chatting to a friend about Shadowrun and I happened to mention 'Winternight' from the first 'Threats' book who I always liked.
    He said he'd vaguely heard that their story had been wrapped up but couldn't remember anymore than that. Anybody know the fate of 'Winternight' ?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I'm a bit behind on 'Shadowrun' background and so have a question. I was chatting to a friend about Shadowrun and I happened to mention 'Winternight' from the first 'Threats' book who I always liked.
    He said he'd vaguely heard that their story had been wrapped up but couldn't remember anymore than that. Anybody know the fate of 'Winternight' ?
    I think it was part of Shutdown System Failure at the tail end of 3E. At least, that was their plot to bring Ragnarok with all those Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magically-enhanced nukes positioned at fault lines, I think. Plus the 3 AIs went at it just as Winternight's Jormagond (or whatever it was called) computer worm crawled through the matrix killing everyone who didn't have Dunklezahn's special program. I don't remember if anything happened to Winternight itself, though.
    That's all I remember about it.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-01-31 at 09:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354

This wiki page says Winternight ceased to be after their HQ was raided and destroyed in 2064.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #355
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

IIRC, there were some elements of Winternight that were/are still "out there," mostly being used by other organizations. Like, specifically the female leader maybe? Edit: Friday! Yes, that was her, and somebody was theoretically using her. But I honestly don't remember which book I think I read that in, or even if that was 4th or 5th edition. Sorry.

But basically there isn't an organized, capable force calling itself Winternight at this point to the best of my knowledge. There might be are certainly posers out there, but you're not likely to find an active Winternight cell anywhere.
    Last edited by Telwar; 2018-01-31 at 09:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    But basically there isn't an organized, capable force calling itself Winternight at this point to the best of my knowledge. There might be are certainly posers out there, but you're not likely to find an active Winternight cell anywhere.
    Our is that just what they want you to think ? Eh ? EH ?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's a SR5 question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I've been scouring the matrix section of my book, and I'm having a hard time finding where it says whether you can run a program on a commlink or not, or how many.

I had heard on one shadowrun podcast that you could run a number of programs equal to the device rating, but I can't find it anywhere.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
    Here's a SR5 question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I've been scouring the matrix section of my book, and I'm having a hard time finding where it says whether you can run a program on a commlink or not, or how many.

I had heard on one shadowrun podcast that you could run a number of programs equal to the device rating, but I can't find it anywhere.
    You cannot run programs on a commlink, unless you buy a modification from Data Trails. Programs are for RCCs, Drones, and Cyberdecks only, unless specifically mentioned otherwise.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's what I thought, but I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks!
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Does that mean that functions like Photoshop/Word processor-use/whatever equivalent don't use the Edit File programme, or that a (illegal) deck is necessary for anything more complex than web browsing?
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.